Conquer Club

ITT: I ask very important questions.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: ITT: I ask very important questions.

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:53 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:would you bow to the Queen of England?

Assuming that she was finally getting around to conferring a knighthood upon me, yes, damn right I would.

That's Guinivere. She wasn't Queen of England.

what does a welshman know about English royalty ya barbarian?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby notyou2 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:18 pm

More than an american midget?
Captain notyou2

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:34 pm

AT LEAST IM NOT CANADIAN
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby notyou2 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Army of GOD wrote:AT LEAST IM NOT CANADIAN

YOU ACT LIKE ONE
Captain notyou2

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:would you bow to the Queen of England?

Assuming that she was finally getting around to conferring a knighthood upon me, yes, damn right I would.

That's Guinivere. She wasn't Queen of England.

what does a welshman know about English royalty ya barbarian?

Well, one thing Arthur most certainly was NOT is English. Arthur's story is of the time when the locals were resisting the influx of Saxons, Angles, (from whom the name England, Angle-land is derived), andother such peoples.
tl:dr eff off shorty.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby tzor on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Let me correct that for you ...

Army of GOD wrote:AT LEAST I'M NOT CANADIAN, EH?
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Well, one thing Arthur most certainly was NOT is English. Arthur's story is of the time when the locals were resisting the influx of Saxons, Angles, (from whom the name England, Angle-land is derived), andother such peoples.

It's probably older than that. "The earliest literary references to Arthur come from Welsh and Breton sources."

One of the most famous Welsh poetic references to Arthur comes in the collection of heroic death-songs known as Y Gododdin (The Gododdin), attributed to the 6th-century poet Aneirin. In one stanza, the bravery of a warrior who slew 300 enemies is praised, but it is then noted that despite this "he was no Arthur", that is to say his feats cannot compare to the valour of Arthur.

I believe I have heard a theory that the "holy grail" was a mound in Ireland, giving further evidence that the legend may even be really ancient, perhaps pre-Roman.
Cadet tzor

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:49 pm

tzor wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Well, one thing Arthur most certainly was NOT is English. Arthur's story is of the time when the locals were resisting the influx of Saxons, Angles, (from whom the name England, Angle-land is derived), andother such peoples.

It's probably older than that. "The earliest literary references to Arthur come from Welsh and Breton sources."

One of the most famous Welsh poetic references to Arthur comes in the collection of heroic death-songs known as Y Gododdin (The Gododdin), attributed to the 6th-century poet Aneirin. In one stanza, the bravery of a warrior who slew 300 enemies is praised, but it is then noted that despite this "he was no Arthur", that is to say his feats cannot compare to the valour of Arthur.

I believe I have heard a theory that the "holy grail" was a mound in Ireland, giving further evidence that the legend may even be really ancient, perhaps pre-Roman.

Yes, I have read the Gododdin. Not in Welsh, I'm afraid. It seems to be about how a bunch of heroes lost a battle 'cos they were all hungover. But even so, that's around the time I said. The famous Battle of Badon (with which Arthur is associated) was somewhere between 500 and 550.
The Breton thing is odd - if you go there and talk to the locals about Arthur, they are surprised that people associate him with Britain. They have their own Cornwall, and a number of other places which have similar names to legendary Arthurian events.
Arthur is said to have battled a giant on St Michael's Mount on his way to conquer Rome. Incidentally, in Breton a "camelote" is a rubbish-heap.

The grail is sometimes said to be a Christianization of the Cauldron of Rebirth.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,