Conquer Club

Atlas Shrugged 3 - CO-STARRING RON PAUL!!!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Atlas Shrugged 3 - CO-STARRING RON PAUL!!!

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Finally, you have the option to pass up reading the book!

I saw it yesterday, I am going to see it again today, and I regret not having read the book earlier. I have always wished there was a book like this available, I guess I just needed to get over the size of it and figure there is a reason why it's the World's #2 most influential western book behind the Bible.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Atlas is Shrugging

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Finally, you have the option to pass up reading the book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7B6mAIhU0 New Atlas Shrugged Trailer

I saw it yesterday, I am going to see it again today, and I regret not having read the book earlier. I have always wished there was a book like this available, I guess I just needed to get over the size of it and figure there is a reason why it's the World's #2 best seller behind the Bible.

I was pretty sure you'd never read it, and I guess this confirms it. What confuses me is why you think Atlas Shrugged was never available. Is it banned where you are?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Phatscotty wrote:there is a reason why it's the World's #2 best seller behind the Bible.

...except it isn't that.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby GreecePwns on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

For a more full response to Atlas Shrugged, I suggest playing through BioShock.

And as for the best selling part, no.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I saw it yesterday, I am going to see it again today, and I regret not having read the book earlier. I have always wished there was a book like this available, I guess I just needed to get over the size of it and figure there is a reason why it's the World's #2 best seller behind the Bible.

I was pretty sure you'd never read it, and I guess this confirms it. What confuses me is why you think Atlas Shrugged was never available. Is it banned where you are?

No I havent I am on page 130 something right now. I didnt think it was never available, I was more dissapointed that I had not gotten around to reading the first 20 pages. It's easy to pick up and read the first 5 pages and be bored, but once I got through to about page 20, the light bulb went off in my head.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

No I havent I am on page 130 something right now. I didnt think it was never available, I was more dissapointed that I had not gotten around to reading the first 20 pages. It's easy to pick up and read the first 5 pages and be bored, but once I got through to about page 20, the light bulb went off in my head.

There are a fair few books that turn off the lightbulb in my head too after twenty pages.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Phatscotty wrote:there is a reason why it's the World's #2 best seller behind the Bible.

I never got this memo...
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Baron Von PWN on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Actually I think the worlds #2 book is the communist manifesto.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:

Actually I think the worlds #2 book is the communist manifesto.

You're both wrong:

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:30 pm

perhaps it is the second most influential. probably because it's written by an Atheist.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Phatscotty wrote:perhaps it is the second most influential. probably because it's written by an Atheist.

Not even close. I'm not saying I agree with this list, but here's 100 books that are a hell of a lot more influential: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Mo ... %28book%29
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:perhaps it is the second most influential. probably because it's written by an Atheist.

Not even close. I'm not saying I agree with this list, but here's 100 books that are a hell of a lot more influential: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Mo ... %28book%29

USA today
http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies ... rand_x.htm

But Atlas Shrugged is more point-blank with Rand's philosophy, and it's the second-most-influential book of all time, a distant second to the Bible, according to a survey of 5,000 Book-of-the-Month Club members taken a decade ago for the Library of Congress
Major Phatscotty

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 pm

It's a book of the month club, so obviously they're going to lean toward American-y novels.

You can't tell me with a straight face and 100% objectivity that Atlas Shrugged is more influential than the Art of War.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Baron Von PWN on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Army of GOD wrote:It's a book of the month club, so obviously they're going to lean toward American-y novels.

You can't tell me with a straight face and 100% objectivity that Atlas Shrugged is more influential than the Art of War.

or, the prince, or the communist manifest or ....
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Army of GOD wrote:It's a book of the month club, so obviously they're going to lean toward American-y novels.

Atlas Shrugged is being read in 60,000 high school classrooms every year and have specialized University classes dedicated to it. I'm sure the same could be said for Tzu, but not in 60,000 classrooms
Major Phatscotty

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

USA today

But Atlas Shrugged is more point-blank with Rand's philosophy, and it's the second-most-influential book of all time, a distant second to the Bible, according to a survey of 5,000 Book-of-the-Month Club members taken a decade ago for the Library of Congress

Also, Objectivism is just an intellectualization of American values that basically already existed. Just because a lot of conservative Americans like to read a book that reaffirms their beliefs doesn't make the book influential.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

USA today

Also, Objectivism is just an intellectualization of American values that basically already existed. Just because a lot of conservative Americans like to read a book that reaffirms their beliefs doesn't make the book influential.

That would be true if that was all the book did, however it is not.

Remember, 10% of the Tea Party are democrats.
Major Phatscotty

Postby GreecePwns on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:49 pm

And at least 10% of Democrats are conservatives. Conservative does not = Republican, Liberal certainly does not = Democrat.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 pm

GreecePwns wrote:And at least 10% of Democrats are conservatives. Conservative does not = Republican, Liberal certainly does not = Democrat.

I have respect for them. They are smart. Mostly this 10% consists of people who are not students and have a career job and pay taxes and have families to care for.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:16 pm

RT's (Russia Times) take on it from people who read the book and saw the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvh0Wz4algo

"Someone has finally explained it" The official line is the Bible is the only book to ever outsell Atlas Shrugged. #2

Here is a review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUUlTBmTN2s from BookofNick
Major Phatscotty

Postby pimpdave on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 am

I used to think Ayn Rand was on to something. But then the strangest thing happened; I was no longer 15.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:55 am

Phatscotty wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:And at least 10% of Democrats are conservatives. Conservative does not = Republican, Liberal certainly does not = Democrat.

I have respect for them. They are smart. Mostly this 10% consists of people who are not students and have a career job and pay taxes and have families to care for.

I think you missed the point there.

Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 pm

GreecePwns wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

I might have been continuing on my original point, which is what you might have missed.

:twisted:
Major Phatscotty

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

I might have been continuing on my original point, which is what you might have missed.

:twisted:
And what of those non-students who have a career job and pay taxes and have families to live for that aren't conservatives?

Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm

nothing just responding in the correct tone that was initiated at me.

I respect all peoples opinions. I am just proud to know the Tea Party is 10% democrats.
Major Phatscotty

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,