Conquer Club

Gay Marriage --- The Opposition, Please Clarify

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gay Marriage --- The Opposition, Please Clarify

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Stop crying and get logical.

This would make an excellent slogan for something. Or a bumper sticker. BBS, quick, TM that.

--Andy

Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©
Stop crying and get logical. Ā©
Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©Ā©

IT"S COPYRIGHTED, BABY!. SEE! RIGHT HERE!! BAM.

Is that how it works?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't know, where is TGD when you need him and his lawyerosityness?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 pm

stop crying and get logical
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Don't get crying, get logical.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby crispybits on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Got logical?
Major crispybits

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:12 pm

jay_a2j wrote:

The problem with legalizing gay marriage is freedom of religion. Because you know as well as I, as soon as it's legal some gay couple will sue some pastor who refuses to marry them based on HIS religious beliefs. Then what? He goes to jail for not complying with mans laws because he refuses to be a part of breaking God's laws?

.[/quote]
I see, so you are aware of cases where A Roman Catholic Priest, Jewish Rabbis or perhaps Mormon leader have been taken to court for refusing to marry a Muslim or HIndu?

In fact, even within the military, chaplains are not required to marry those outside their own faith, just to help facilitate such rites.

Its possible that something could be said of a captain on the high seas who refuses, but for the captain to have the recognized authority to marry, he must be outside national boundaries... and so I have a hard time understanding how a US law might impact that?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Plus of course there are Christian denominations and churches that support same-sex marriage and are being denied their religious freedom to perform them and have them recognised, though I don't see that coming up too often among those who think it's an assault on religious belief.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Symmetry wrote:Plus of course there are Christian denominations and churches that support same-sex marriage and are being denied their religious freedom to perform them and have them recognised, though I don't see that coming up too often among those who think it's an assault on religious belief.

You devilish schemer and post-righteous blasphemer. We know that that's not what God wanted, and those Christians better get their act together! Therefore, the argument can be dismissed.

-rd

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Plus of course there are Christian denominations and churches that support same-sex marriage and are being denied their religious freedom to perform them and have them recognised, though I don't see that coming up too often among those who think it's an assault on religious belief.

You devilish schemer and post-righteous blasphemer. We know that that's not what God wanted, and those Christians better get their act together! Therefore, the argument can be dismissed.

-rd

It is kind of interesting that people won't let Christian churches perform the gay marriages they want to perform as part of their religious beliefs, because they feel it infringes on other Christians who don't want to perform the ceremony, and aren't being asked to.

Curious people. It's almost as if they think that other Christians shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion if it deviates from their own beliefs, and they'd like to see that enshrined in law.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 am

Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow ConquerClubbers, I may have declared victory to soon for us defenders of gay marriage in this thread; however, given the tough obstacles which the opposition must overcome:

(1) Defend: majority rule that supports certain Christian beliefs is just
    (2) Defend: morality is dependent only on God, thus morality is arbitrarily determined by God--and NOT by humans
    (3) Defend: therefore, other forms of morality (e.g. libertarian, pro-individual liberty, pro-equality before the law, moral consequentialism, etc.) are invalid if they're contradictory to Christian God Morality.
    (4) Overcome: different religions, which adhere to a similar God (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), and segments within those religions, have contradictory rules and policies for and against gays
    (5) Overcome: conflicting religions use similar appeals to authority and circular reasoning to assert themselves as the true religion, so which religion (or segment of a religion) is the true one?
    (6) Ignores: why oppose gay marriage if churches won't be forced to oversee gay marriages?
    (7) Defend: cherry-picking of Bible, and arbitrary reasoning for justifying following X but not Y in the Bible
    (8) Defend: why equality before the law should not be upheld--but discrimination should be upheld--against gay couples in regard to the state-granted benefits of marriage.
    (9) Defend: the application of force by the state onto minority groups so that they must abide by particular Christian beliefs.

Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow ConquerClubbers, that list is so difficult, I completely forgot what I wanted to say... Yes! We're back! So, after seeing this list of obstacles faced by the opposition, and after already seeing the opposition repeatedly fail to defend or overcome several of these obstacles, I couldn't fathom any logical means for them to overcome this list, thus our victory was declared at an appropriate time. Their last retort was one of ad hominems and straw man fallacies, which shall be reasonably rejected.

I alone could not have defended gay marriage, for this was OUR finest moment. With the help of my fellow CC'ers and from the knowledge gained from readings and from discussions with you fine people, we have overcome the opposition, which so far is correctly labelled as "bigoted--in a bad way." Furthermore, they should stop crying and get logical.

Give yourselves a round of applause, a pat on the back, and if you're not alone at the moment, outsource the patting-job to a loved one.

(@the opposition: if any of you care to logically address that list of obstacles, we eagerly await you.)
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:31 am

BBS has seemingly successfully created a wall of logic that can't be torn down!

From that wall and my easy-bake-oven, cupcakes for all!

(There's a special one with a star on top next to the rainbow, but not too close, for BBS)

-rd

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 am

You can't just walk into a Church and demand a wedding. This is a false logic. You have to be a member of that church. You have to prove that you are welling to follow those traditions of marriage in that church. To expect a gay couple to walk into a church and demand a wedding is a bit of a fail. Why would they? This isn't about religion. It about rights.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:You can't just walk into a Church and demand a wedding. This is a false logic. You have to be a member of that church. You have to prove that you are welling to follow those traditions of marriage in that church. To expect a gay couple to walk into a church and demand a wedding is a bit of a fail. Why would they?

Correct. And even then, the pastor may still deny it or have requirements that must be met first (marriage counseling, etc...).
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:07 am

Yeah, exactly. They're basing their stance on a slippery slope argument, which has very little merit.

The list of obstacles for the opposition expands...
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby comic boy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 am

The puppy slopes back home , humiliated yet still convinced of the veracity of his stone age reasoning.
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby Neoteny on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:02 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow ConquerClubbers, I may have declared victory to soon for us defenders of gay marriage in this thread; however, given the tough obstacles which the opposition must overcome:

(1) Defend: majority rule that supports certain Christian beliefs is just
    (2) Defend: morality is dependent only on God, thus morality is arbitrarily determined by God--and NOT by humans
    (3) Defend: therefore, other forms of morality (e.g. libertarian, pro-individual liberty, pro-equality before the law, moral consequentialism, etc.) are invalid if they're contradictory to Christian God Morality.
    (4) Overcome: different religions, which adhere to a similar God (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), and segments within those religions, have contradictory rules and policies for and against gays
    (5) Overcome: conflicting religions use similar appeals to authority and circular reasoning to assert themselves as the true religion, so which religion (or segment of a religion) is the true one?
    (6) Ignores: why oppose gay marriage if churches won't be forced to oversee gay marriages?
    (7) Defend: cherry-picking of Bible, and arbitrary reasoning for justifying following X but not Y in the Bible
    (8) Defend: why equality before the law should not be upheld--but discrimination should be upheld--against gay couples in regard to the state-granted benefits of marriage.
    (9) Defend: the application of force by the state onto minority groups so that they must abide by particular Christian beliefs.

Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow ConquerClubbers, that list is so difficult, I completely forgot what I wanted to say... Yes! We're back! So, after seeing this list of obstacles faced by the opposition, and after already seeing the opposition repeatedly fail to defend or overcome several of these obstacles, I couldn't fathom any logical means for them to overcome this list, thus our victory was declared at an appropriate time. Their last retort was one of ad hominems and straw man fallacies, which shall be reasonably rejected.

I alone could not have defended gay marriage, for this was OUR finest moment. With the help of my fellow CC'ers and from the knowledge gained from readings and from discussions with you fine people, we have overcome the opposition, which so far is correctly labelled as "bigoted--in a bad way." Furthermore, they should stop crying and get logical.

Give yourselves a round of applause, a pat on the back, and if you're not alone at the moment, outsource the patting-job to a loved one.

(@the opposition: if any of you care to logically address that list of obstacles, we eagerly await you.)

As CC's resident representative of SCIENCE, I hereby approve this research for publication, upon the conditions of the addition of a brief analysis of the effects of recognition of the existence of these worst kind of bigots, as well as suggestions as to future research into this human trash. Congratulations to all involved, and keep up the outstanding work.

Neoteny
Scientist
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby crispybits on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am

So are we going to have a full and proper peer review of the findings? Including repeating the experiment to validate the results? :twisted:
Major crispybits

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Stop crying and get logical, BBS 2012.

--Andy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

crispybits wrote:So are we going to have a full and proper peer review of the findings? Including repeating the experiment to validate the results? :twisted:

Sure, but that's someone else's job! :P
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby spurgistan on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Stop crying and get logical, BBS 2012.

--Andy

You could probably get Bobby McFerrin to do the campaign song.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 pm

spurgistan wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Stop crying and get logical, BBS 2012.

--Andy

You could probably get Bobby McFerrin to do the campaign song.

--Andy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm

I could swear my ego was half its current size about a week ago...
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Lootifer on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Completely unfounded too
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby spurgistan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:22 pm

That's handy.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,