Gay Marriage --- The Opposition, Please Clarify

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Gay Marriage --- The Opposition, Please Clarify

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 am

I still don't understand the following with the issue on gay marriage:

(1) No religion has the legitimate right to define what a marriage is in the US. No single religion enjoys that jurisdiction. So, why do people continue to think that their own particular religion somehow has the right to define what a marriage is over an entire country? (that screams of theocracy to me).

Okay, let's clear up a confusion. There's "religious marriage" and "legal marriage" (a.k.a. civil union). I'm talking about legal marriage and religious marriages, which differ across religions (which further compounds the problem of #1). A religion can define marriage and regulate marriage, but only within in its own jurisdictions (churches, but not across the entire country), hence a "religious marriage."

(2) Suppose the US legalizes gay marriage and requires people to recognize it as a legitimate marriage (in regard to contract laws, etc.). However, the US does not force religious organizations to oversee the marriage of gay couples because those organizations are free to deny their services (e.g. no gays in the Boy Scouts case). If (2) is true, then why would people oppose gay marriage?
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Gay Marriage --- The Opposition, Please Clarify

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 am

You don't understand. Gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage and call God's fury upon our nation. We have a responsibility to crucify the gays, for the sake of our children. And puppies.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am

InkL0sed wrote:You don't understand. Gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage and call God's fury upon our nation. We have a responsibility to crucify the gays, for the sake of our children. And puppies.

I fully support your campaign to crucify puppies. Let God Help us, in our quest to remove this scourge from the face of the Earth.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 am

The answer to #2 will probably be the belief you bring up in #1. The answer to #1 will probably involve a belief that their particular morality is the one, only and correct morality.

Then, when asked about other sects within the same religion (in other words, differing interpretation of the same literature), the answer to #1 is probably repeated.

Then, when asked about the existence of a god, or more specifically, the existence of a god that is exactly as their interpretation of a particular piece of literature describes, the conversation goes in circles.

Then BBS breaks out the wheel and the discussion ends. I don't think I've seen anyone post a defense against that thing.
Last edited by GreecePwns on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Nola_Lifer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:59 am

This must be the thread to find all the bigots on the CC forum. Too bad we already know who they are. 8-[
f*ck THE UNION LOUISIANA WILL RISE AGAIN
Major Nola_Lifer

Medals: 61
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (2)
General Contribution (1)

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 am

Some might argue that the US is essentially a Christian nation and its laws should uphold Christian beliefs. I think they are wrong.
Corporal MegaProphet

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:15 am

MegaProphet wrote:Some might argue that the US is essentially a Christian nation and its laws should uphold Christian beliefs. I think they are wrong.

Even if true, why does that mean homosexuality should be disallowed or gay marriage not allowed? Some Christian churches very much do acknowledge the right?
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:22 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:Some might argue that the US is essentially a Christian nation and its laws should uphold Christian beliefs. I think they are wrong.

Even if true, why does that mean homosexuality should be disallowed or gay marriage not allowed? Some Christian churches very much do acknowledge the right?

Yes, but it's quite easy for the opposition to say that those churches aren't 'true' Christian churches just like I would say that the Westboro Baptist church is a subversion of the Christian faith.
Corporal MegaProphet

Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 am

MegaProphet wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

Yes, but it's quite easy for the opposition to say that those churches aren't 'true' Christian churches just like I would say that the Westboro Baptist church is a subversion of the Christian faith.

And there we have the crux... which church gets to decide.

At the time of our founding, for some time after, there were major wars waged between the Roman Catholics and Protestant churches. Greek Orthodoxy, Russian Orthodoxy... etc, etc, etc.

I know you said that you disagree that our nation was set up as a Christian nation, and I think you acknowledge the above is part of why that is very much the case.
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

And there we have the crux... which church gets to decide.

At the time of our founding, for some time after, there were major wars waged between the Roman Catholics and Protestant churches. Greek Orthodoxy, Russian Orthodoxy... etc, etc, etc.

I know you said that you disagree that our nation was set up as a Christian nation, and I think you acknowledge the above is part of why that is very much the case.

Yes, I think that the country was founded more on freedom from religious prosecution than on any one religion
Corporal MegaProphet

General Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:13 pm

GreecePwns wrote:The answer to #2 will probably be the belief you bring up in #1. The answer to #1 will probably involve a belief that their particular morality is the one, only and correct morality.

Then, when asked about other sects within the same religion (in other words, differing interpretation of the same literature), the answer to #1 is probably repeated.

Then, when asked about the existence of a god, or more specifically, the existence of a god that is exactly as their interpretation of a particular piece of literature describes, the conversation goes in circles.

Then BBS breaks out the wheel and the discussion ends. I don't think I've seen anyone post a defense against that thing.

puppydog argued against empiricism, or sensual experience, but to me and Wittgenstein those who sincerely doubt the existence of the door knob before they turn it have mental problems.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:At the time of our founding, for some time after, there were major wars waged between the Roman Catholics and Protestant churches. Greek Orthodoxy, Russian Orthodoxy... etc, etc, etc.

Ah yes, the epic battles between the Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox churches in colonial Delaware. Who can forget the particularly bloody campaign between the forces of Ben Franklonopolous and Tom Jeffersonovitch? Those were sad times, indeed. :(
patches70 wrote:The only real difference between Saxi and The Fed is that for one to get Saxbucks one must amuse or otherwise impress Saxi in some way, shape or form.
Corporal 1st Class saxitoxin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 pm

(3) Those who oppose gay marriage often cite the Bible as to why they are against it. Yet, they seemingly ignore other facets of the Bible (such as stoning a woman who has had sex before marriage) that are considered obsolete socially. Which parts of the Bible are to be taken literally and which aren't?
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

They can't if they want to be consistent with their teachings. Even if you ignore the ten or more Old Testament injunctions, there's plenty in the New Testament. Paul's letters are quite unequivocal on the subject. He returns to the subject no less than three times: Romans 1:26, 1Corinthians 6:9, and 1Timothy 1:10. Those are just the undisputed passages, there's more that could be interpreted to touch on the subject also.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a practising Christian although I respect the Christian background of our civilization. And personally, I don't give a rat's ass where other people stick their dicks, as long as it's not into me or any member of my immediate family. But I do expect people to show consistency with their professed beliefs and not cherry pick which part of their "faith" they're going to follow. If you want to be a Christiam and you accept the New Testament as truth then that includes Paul whether or not it's inconvenient for you.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:53 pm

OMG? Another gay marriage thread? Are you serious? Because that's what this forum needed...right?
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?