Conquer Club

Everything we need in a survival bag

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re:

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:51 pm

2dimes wrote:I'm going to take a look for the knife thread with B.K. Barunt and some other guys discussing knives. Sounded legit.

I'm glad I can't see those funny coloured ones in person. I'm getting hypnotized and I might end up buying one.

I grabbed mine. It's a Mora brand, just says, K.J.ERIKSSON MORA-SWEDEN CARBON STEEL. on the blade. It has a really solid handle covered in rubber and a medium hard plastic case that covers the knife well up the handle. You could attach it to your belt but I don't.

I have attached a magnesium block and pretty chewed sparking insert to the case. I think I'll grab a second as a back up if they're still cheap and available. I would have to think there's some equivalent in an American made knife but maybe not.

I like the look of those Mora knives, I'll bet they're comfortable. Simple, tried but true design but you don't need anything more than that out of a knife unless you are planning hand-to-hand combat. The Swedes are not known for making junk, either.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Everything we need in a survival bag

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 am

2dimes wrote:Though I don't see a problem with treating yourself to a really great one either.

I was just on ESEE's website, and they've re-introduced one of their knives that I didn't even know about. I prefer drop-point knives, and this is the only ESEE knife that has it.
I think that drop point knives are easier to work with, and better for skinning and cleaning animals. But that's just an opinion based on what feels most comfortable to me.

And if you take the handle apart, there's a ferro rod hidden inside of it.

2dimes wrote:I'm glad I can't see those funny coloured ones in person. I'm getting hypnotized and I might end up buying one.

They used to sell these knives in a lot of cool colors. You could buy a red blade, or an orange one. Now it's just the basic black, brown, green, desert, or SUPER BRIGHT LIME. I feel like I've missed out.

Funkyterrance wrote:It may not impress anyone or be as quite as flashy in a knife fight but it's going to be a good friend. Spray paint it fluorescent orange and green if it makes you feel better.

The only stainless steel knife that I would ever buy is a Mora.
And I personally think that those RAMBO knives are just stupid. Both aesthetically and historically.

2dimes wrote:I'm going to take a look for the knife thread with B.K. Barunt and some other guys discussing knives. Sounded legit.

That was the "Knife nut" thread. I never forgot it because B.K. was yelling at everyone not to throw their goddamn knife in the dirt, or they'll have to do pushups. B.K. recommended KA-BAR, "killed bear." I like KA-BAR too, and they're probably the best value for the money. Their BECKER brand is basically just a pry bar that holds a sharp edge. It's impressive stuff. It's one of the other knives that I was looking at. I really dislike the handle though, and don't really want to have micarta scales separately. I dunno how I feel about the lack of a finger choil, but these knives are beastly. They usually sell this shorter model for only $80.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 am

MORA knives are really cool, even if they're usually stainless too.

You can get this for $15 on ebay, brand new. You cannot baton with it or anything, but they last forever and you can clean anything with it. It's the best $15 knife in the entire world. I've actually got one of these. I've read that there have been some quality problems lately though.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:54 am

Any opinions on hammocks?
This Hennessy comes with bug netting and a rainfly.

It looks like this would be really light and pack very easily. It also looks safe for the trees. But I've never owned one before.

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:49 pm

two double-enders?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby 2dimes on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:07 pm

That hammock looks pretty great. The problem I have with my hammock it getting it tight enough to not sag but it's the net style with a spreader stick. Could be an issue with overloading too.
Juan_Bottom wrote:

That was the "Knife nut" thread. I never forgot it because B.K. was yelling at everyone not to throw their goddamn knife in the dirt, or they'll have to do pushups. B.K. recommended KA-BAR, "killed bear." I like KA-BAR too, and they're probably the best value for the money. Their BECKER brand is basically just a pry bar that holds a sharp edge. It's impressive stuff. It's one of the other knives that I was looking at. I really dislike the handle though, and don't really want to have micarta scales separately. I dunno how I feel about the lack of a finger choil, but these knives are beastly. They usually sell this shorter model for only $80.

You're right. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114555 There we can snoop though it.

I think a great knife is no good to me if doesn't have a great handle.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 pm

2dimes wrote:
I think a great knife is no good to me if doesn't have a great handle.

+1

I've never had a camping hammock as I tend to prefer camping more out in the open but I imagine if you're in the woods that would be pretty nifty, especially when it's wet out.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby pmchugh on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Money and a gun.

(Gun so you can steal in the event of an economic crash).
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 am

Bring some fishing tackle.. doesn't have to be fancy, you can get "packable" stuff just about anywhere now. If you are going tin the fall, I am guessing fire will be an issue -- but it may be damp enough that you don't have to worry. Anyway, something fresh always makes the day go better.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 am

I can't catch fish with a proper rod, reel and bait. I don't know about trying to survive on fishing.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 pm

2dimes wrote:I can't catch fish with a proper rod, reel and bait. I don't know about trying to survive on fishing.

A book on edible plants for the region might be better, then. Or edible bugs (hungry enough, and...)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby notyou2 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I eat out when I go camping.
Captain notyou2

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,