Conquer Club

State to Begin Automatically Marrying People

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

If you woke up to discover you had been declared married overnight, how would you react?

Total votes : 0

State to Begin Automatically Marrying People

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:29 pm

If Referendum 74 passes in the State of Washington next month, allowing gay marriage, everyone who had previously registered a domestic partnership will be automatically declared married whether they wanted it or not. Official estimates say that 10% of domestic partnership in the state are between two heterosexuals.

Seattle TV station KING, interviewed a pair of angry old lesbians who don't want to get married -

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/If-R ... 96201.html
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Re: State to Begin Automatically Marrying People

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm

I thought this was going to be about something fun, like randomized marriage to someone you've never met before.

Simply becoming married to someone you're already living with should not upset anyone.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Simply becoming married to someone you're already living with should not upset anyone.

It's a good thing the ConquerClub apartment is in California then (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=178779&hilit).
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Actually, what we call "living together" pretty much was considered "common law marriage" in the past. For one thing, to cohabitat and NOT be married was often illegal. So, if you wanted to stay together and no clergy was near.. "common law marriage".
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Simply becoming married to someone you're already living with should not upset anyone.

Since you seem to have insight into the subjective valuation of many people, please explain how your statement is true.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Since you seem to have insight into the subjective valuation of many people, please explain how your statement is true.

Or, could we say (gasp!) "Simply not becoming married to someone who you're already living with should not upset anyone." But if we say that wouldn't we be denigrating the marriage rights that most in the gay community want? Double gasp!
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Or, could we say (gasp!) "Simply not becoming married to someone who you're already living with should not upset anyone." But if we say that wouldn't we be denigrating the marriage rights that most in the gay community want? Double gasp!

The only solution is to legislate the problem away because people cannot form their own laws! Otherwise, it would be chaos! People would be inserting their private members into the wrong holes! "NO!!" We must 'choose' the top-down approach and justify it any way we can.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:People would be inserting their private members into the wrong holes!

It happens. Like if you turn around quickly or someone stops in front of you suddenly.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:03 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:People would be inserting their private members into the wrong holes!

It happens. Like if you turn around quickly or someone stops in front of you suddenly.

Then this Referendum 74 must become law. Before things get worse!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby spurgistan on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Actually, what we call "living together" pretty much was considered "common law marriage" in the past. For one thing, to cohabitat and NOT be married was often illegal. So, if you wanted to stay together and no clergy was near.. "common law marriage".

Right, but given that Washingtonians have by and large accepted unmarried domestic partnership as a socially acceptable living situation, the laws should reflect that reality.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

I didn't realize this thread was going to turn political. Like I said, I thought it was going to be a lighthearted romp, and I wouldn't have bothered posting if I knew that I was entering a political arena. It brought to mind stuff like those embarrassing moments in university, when you take a little too much PCP, and you wake up two days later with some postmenopausal biker bitch that has more facial hair than you do, and next thing you know your friends are there with cameras laughing at you and taking pictures and yelling "throw the bouquet!"

But since I'm here, I may as well answer your question. I live in the Province of Ontario, where under the Family Law Reform Act of 1981 all legal distinctions between "legal" and "common law" marriage were abolished. If you're living with someone common law for six months or more, your rights and obligations are exactly identical as if you had the walk down the aisle and the whole ball of wax. This is the legal environment I've lived in almost all of my adult life, and so naturally it's what I think of as normal.

But I realize that there are many jurisdictions around the world where differences between formal and common law marriage are preserved. If you live in one of those, and especially if formal marriage burdens you with responsibilities that common law marriage doesn't, then I can certainly see that you would be irritated about unexpectedly finding yourself legally married.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:45 am

Is there any legal difference between a domestic partnership and marriage?

I can't fucking stand how there's an arbitrary distinction between the two. The only difference between being married and not being married is that people who aren't married didn't have to waste a shit-ton of money on a wedding.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Maugena on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 am

Dukasaur wrote:I thought this was going to be about something fun, like randomized marriage to someone you've never met before.

Simply becoming married to someone you're already living with should not upset anyone.

Ditto.
If it were as the title and poll options would imply, I'd be terrified. The lack of choice would greatly upset me.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby chang50 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:45 am

Maugena wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I thought this was going to be about something fun, like randomized marriage to someone you've never met before.

Ditto.
If it were as the title and poll options would imply, I'd be terrified. The lack of choice would greatly upset me.

It would upset me greatly if it was imposed on me,that's the objection.What right does anyone have to impose marriage on me?And this is happening in the land of the free?..
Captain chang50

Postby spurgistan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Is there any legal difference between a domestic partnership and marriage?

I can't fucking stand how there's an arbitrary distinction between the two. The only difference between being married and not being married is that people who aren't married didn't have to waste a shit-ton of money on a wedding.

You forget that marriage is more of a legal contract than a romantic concept. There are a lot of things that spouses can/have to do for each other that unmarried couples don't/can't.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby 2dimes on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 pm

spurgistan wrote:You forget that marriage is more of a legal contract than a romantic concept. There are a lot of things that spouses can/have to do for each other that unmarried couples don't/can't.

Like take off my socks?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Well if there's nothing you can do about it you may as well embrace it.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,