Conquer Club

[US-Americans] Indicate Your Level of Electoral Involvement

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Check Each Item You Have Done in 2012, or Will Do Before November 6

Total votes : 0

Re: [US-Americans] Indicate Your Level of Electoral Involvem

Postby / on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Sealed the deal did it? ;)

Juvenal wrote:Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.

Just kidding :P
I honestly did like the personal touch, he had gone door to door meeting the people of the district earlier. At the picnic he talked with people, shook my hand, asked about my academics, and even told my grandfather I must be a joy to be around, I really did have a much more positive view of him afterwards.
The food was good too.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:58 pm

/ wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Sealed the deal did it? ;)

Juvenal wrote:Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.

Just kidding :P
I honestly did like the personal touch, he had gone door to door meeting the people of the district earlier. At the picnic he talked with people, shook my hand, asked about my academics, and even told my grandfather I must be a joy to be around, I really did have a much more positive view of him afterwards.
The food was good too.

It's actually refreshing to hear someone admit to being human in regard to their voting habits. You met the guy in person, he seemed decent and this strengthened your opinion of him. I think that sometimes we may get so hung up on issues that we ignore the obvious and vote for someone who "fits the bill" in spite of our instincts. You happened to have the benefit of not having to choose between the two. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm

So, FunkyT, do you find personal marketing superior to mass marketing (campaign ads, televised debates, etc.)?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Borderdawg wrote:Already voted. If ya don't vote, you have no right to bitch about politics/government. Also, I go to some of the forums/rallies for local/regional/state candidates.

KoolBak wrote:PS - 4 people voted here that they plan on NOT voting.....I can only hope those are individuals <18 so simply CANNOT vote....apathy is disgusting

I don't plan on voting and that's what I answered in the poll. And to say that I don't have the "right to bitch about politics/gov't" is simply absurd. I will not be a party to the mass corruption, continued perpetuation of American imperialism and military complex, or violations of our rights and the rights of others across the globe. It's a moral stand, and I won't cooperate willingly with any entity that lays claim to me or the fruits of my labor. The difference between the U.S. gov't and the mafia is nominal.

Plus, even if I was so inclined to bother with voting, it's not worth my time to register and vote and all that jazz, especially when confronted with choosing between the lesser of two evils. The fact that I'm forced with such a choice is reason enough not to vote.

As an aside, what do you really gain from being one tiny little drop of water in the bucket, even if your side wins? A warm, fuzzy feeling for contributing pretty much nothing?

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Woodruff on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I don't plan on voting and that's what I answered in the poll.

I find that terribly irresponsible.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:And to say that I don't have the "right to bitch about politics/gov't" is simply absurd.

Sure, I agree with you on that.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I will not be a party to the mass corruption, continued perpetuation of American imperialism and military complex, or violations of our rights and the rights of others across the globe. It's a moral stand, and I won't cooperate willingly with any entity that lays claim to me or the fruits of my labor. The difference between the U.S. gov't and the mafia is nominal.

Why aren't you voting third-party then?

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Plus, even if I was so inclined to bother with voting, it's not worth my time to register and vote and all that jazz, especially when confronted with choosing between the lesser of two evils. The fact that I'm forced with such a choice is reason enough not to vote.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:As an aside, what do you really gain from being one tiny little drop of water in the bucket, even if your side wins? A warm, fuzzy feeling for contributing pretty much nothing?

...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:So, FunkyT, do you find personal marketing superior to mass marketing (campaign ads, televised debates, etc.)?

No but I think it's easier to judge someone's character in person/without editing. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Woodruff wrote:Why aren't you voting third-party then?

I wrote:...especially when confronted with choosing between the lesser of two evils. The fact that I'm forced with such a choice is reason enough not to vote.

Figure it out.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Woodruff on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Why aren't you voting third-party then?

I wrote:...especially when confronted with choosing between the lesser of two evils. The fact that I'm forced with such a choice is reason enough not to vote.

Figure it out.

You're not forced with such a choice. Alternatives are available in all 50 states.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,