Conquer Club

Will Puerto Rico be the next US State?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Will it?

Total votes : 0

Re: Will Puerto Rico be the next US State?

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:06 am

Wow! Puerto Rico to become a State. That's cause for celebrating....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby daddy1gringo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Symmetry wrote:I guess I can only ask your opinion on the hypothetical, what if there was a push from within the current states, specifically the Republican party, for Puerto Rico to become a state. It is, from what I can tell, fairly conservative and would do a fair bit to help the party on it's Hispanic credentials without dealing with the immigration issues.

I know that's a big hypothetical, but it seemed like an interesting option, and I'd be interested on your take if statehood had major mainland support.

I don't think it would make much difference. The ones who care most what the U.S. thinks are already pro-statehood (the PNP, basically aligned with the Republicans). The ones who are for more independent statuses (stati?), namely the existing ELA, complete independence, or something in between, their thing is "Puerto Rican Pride", and they would probably be either indifferent to, or offended by U.S. attempts to influence or force them into statehood. The split would stay about 50/50.
The right answer to the wrong question is still the wrong answer to the real question.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Houston, Texas area, by way of Isabela, NW PR

Postby Viceroy63 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm

When we really simplify this whole issue we can relate this to a relationship between a man and his girlfriend. Or Friends with benefits. =) The US certainly does gain something from having PR as a territory but not as a state. There is just no love there.

For one thing, no one like's being told what to do and Puerto Rican's are no different. For Puerto Rican's to be told that they can not live the way that they have been accustomed to is an invitation to Civil war. For example; People still claim land here and build their own houses. The government (USA) even supplies the building materials.

There are no restrictions except in the rich part of the country and no inspections except to comply with established codes. I built my own home on land that I claimed and did the plumbing and the wiring and only had to comply with the electric company safety evaluation. That was it. That's because I wanted to be legal as far as power is concerned. As for water all you do is send in a check for $10 a month of water usage and even if you don't have a meter you are all good to go. No problem. But I am neither a construction worker or carpenter, nor plumber or electrician. I am just able to do my best with the little knowledge that I possess and no one can tell me that I can't do it on this Island.

The point is that if Puerto Rican's are told that they can't live like this anymore then half of the Island would be homeless as a great majority of the people live up in the mountains and valleys and on the other side of the Island. A good lot of them simply tap into established power lines and water ducts. So how do you make a people like everyone else in the USA but let them keep their Ancient Voodoo magic at the same time? If you Let Puerto Rico get away with it then all the states will push or may push for special exempts. And what if Jews want to build a temple in New York to sacrifice sheep's and goats to the Lord?

Also you have to keep in mind that Puerto Rican's are basically Hillbillies at heart and are not in general sophisticated or worldly. We are catching up but basically still a generation away from the rest of the world. What happens when you give a hillbilly the right to bear arms? Ever hear of the Hatfields and the McCoy's? You can't treat Puerto Rico like you can other culture's who are some what more mature. Puerto Rican's enjoy a good party like anyone else but take that away from us and it's clobbering time. That reminds me that we recently dedicated a national holiday after a boxer, "Tito" a few years back. One more day to stay home and party. You just try and take that "Tito" day away from us and put us to work if we don't want to?!

No way is Puerto Rico going to become a State any time soon unless we get our cake and get to eat it also. With beer, dancing and loud music. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Also you have to keep in mind that Puerto Rican's are basically Hillbillies at heart and are not in general sophisticated or worldly.

I heard they just got the telegraph!

Zing! Bam! Whoosh! Snap! Yoink! Vavava-voom!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,