Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should NASA turn Voyager I around and bring it back to Earth?

YES
33%
NO
67%

Total votes : 27

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:38 pm

uh oh, saxi posted bellsprout. This is definitely a trapthread for me.
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Army of GOD wrote:uh oh, saxi posted bellsprout. This is definitely a trapthread for me.

Ditto.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:uh oh, saxi posted bellsprout. This is definitely a trapthread for me.

Ditto.

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Ditto.

Hehe, wasn't sure if you'd catch that or not.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:52 pm

shut up

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:You can save yourself a lot of angst if you turn off CNN.

Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Army of GOD wrote:shut up

Lick my pokeballs.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Is it beyond half way yet?
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:36 am

just to clarify something, solar panels would stop working on the voyager like.... around uranus? i don't know exactly where, but they're not very efficient, and the strength of the sun is not strong enough that far from it, and once it passes the kuiper belt (if it even had that capability), it would still be 4.some light years away from the nearest star, so I doubt it could draw power from any light source.

shit, our solar system is so big that voyager 1, given infinite fuel, probably won't even reach the oort cloud by the time humanity has destroyed itself.
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:26 am

whitestazn88 wrote:just to clarify something, solar panels would stop working on the voyager like.... around uranus? i don't know exactly where, but they're not very efficient, and the strength of the sun is not strong enough that far from it, and once it passes the kuiper belt (if it even had that capability), it would still be 4.some light years away from the nearest star, so I doubt it could draw power from any light source.

shit, our solar system is so big that voyager 1, given infinite fuel, probably won't even reach the oort cloud by the time humanity has destroyed itself.

Just to clarify, the light is indeed too dim where the Voyagers (1 and 2) are now for solar panels to have any effect. However, the Voyagers are powered by RTG nuclear reactors and 4 of the 10 scientific instruments on board Voyager 1 and 5 of the 10 scientific instruments on board Voyager 2 are still functioning.

They are also still under their own propulsion and accelerating. Voyager 1 is expected to encounter another star system first: within 40,000 years. They are heading in different directions, although both are riding the bow of the Heliosheath and are expected to break out into open space within a decade.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby x-raider on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 am

x-raider wrote:Did they even equip it with a turn-around button?

I just want to clarify here. You do understand that they physically can't turn it around now, right?
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 am

Dukasaur wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:just to clarify something, solar panels would stop working on the voyager like.... around uranus? i don't know exactly where, but they're not very efficient, and the strength of the sun is not strong enough that far from it, and once it passes the kuiper belt (if it even had that capability), it would still be 4.some light years away from the nearest star, so I doubt it could draw power from any light source.

Just to clarify, the light is indeed too dim where the Voyagers (1 and 2) are now for solar panels to have any effect. However, the Voyagers are powered by RTG nuclear reactors and 4 of the 10 scientific instruments on board Voyager 1 and 5 of the 10 scientific instruments on board Voyager 2 are still functioning.

They are also still under their own propulsion and accelerating. Voyager 1 is expected to encounter another star system first: within 40,000 years. They are heading in different directions, although both are riding the bow of the Heliosheath and are expected to break out into open space within a decade.

Thanks for the info, I was just answering whoever said "why aren't there solar panels on it," but don't know much of anything regarding the actual devices or functionality of anything on the voyagers.

As for your time predictions, didn't voyager 1 just get into or pass the kuiper belt?

From there, the edge of the Heliosheath, or where solar wind is no longer effective, from my understanding, is according to wikipedia (assuming heliosheath and heliosphere are the same), up to 4 times greater than the distance of pluto.

Pluto is 39 AU from the sun, on average, the extent of the Kuiper belt is estimated at 30-50 AU from the sun (is "from the sun necessary"? I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about space). So that means, in 10 years, the voyager will travel up to 4 times the distance it already has since [whenever voyager was launched]? Is that possible or make sense? I assume that minimized effect of gravity from the sun and larger planets probably helps, but it really would increase the speed of voyager by that much?

Disregard the second part, I wanted to leave it up so some people have information about the solar system, but Voyager 1 is located ~130AU from the center of the solar system at this point based on my reading of the wiki page on the Heliosphere, so my question is null.
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 am

Dukasaur wrote:

That's awesome that not only are we creating space junk but space nuclear waste as well. O:)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby bedub1 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 am

<Removed>
Last edited by bedub1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel bedub1

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby 2dimes on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am

bedub1 wrote:
x-raider wrote:
x-raider wrote:Did they even equip it with a turn-around button?

I just want to clarify here. You do understand that they physically can't turn it around now, right?

This entire thread is a troll trap.

That doesn't mean they can't have a discussion in it. Even if they... are both in the same brain.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?