Conquer Club

Who's the King?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who is the King of the Kings of American Music?

Total votes : 0

Re: Who's the King?

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:24 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:notyou2's statement was that no one did with the electric guitar what Jimi did. That's true because it entails more than technical skill. White and Morello are not the gamechangers Hendrix was, and never will be. He's had more impact on music than White, Morello, and a whole slew of others could ever hope to achieve. Fifty years from now, White and Morello will be tiny blips, mere cliff notes in rock music probably only remembered by those who listened to them when they were active. Jimi will likely be remembered for as long as Western music is popular. That's what he did with the guitar, and what they can't do. Jimi coaxed all manner of noises out of his guitars and expanded the guitar's vocabulary, so to speak.

My point wasn't that they aren't technically proficient enough to be considered good guitarists. Any asshole can play skillfully, doesn't mean they play well or create good music (see Dragonforce or Yngwie or any of the other guys who just play scales and arpeggios really fast). And I don't dislike Morello or White.

From my perspective, Hendrix was great because he was the first. I also enjoy his music and guitar playing. And yeah, any asshole can play skillfully and I don't listen to people who just play scales really fast. I interpreted notyou2's statement as Hendrix being ultimately skilled. He's not ultimately skilled. Hendrix was a pioneer and a genius, but he wasn't the greatest guitar player of all time in terms of skill.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Re: Who's the King?

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:notyou2's statement was that no one did with the electric guitar what Jimi did. That's true because it entails more than technical skill. White and Morello are not the gamechangers Hendrix was, and never will be. He's had more impact on music than White, Morello, and a whole slew of others could ever hope to achieve. Fifty years from now, White and Morello will be tiny blips, mere cliff notes in rock music probably only remembered by those who listened to them when they were active. Jimi will likely be remembered for as long as Western music is popular. That's what he did with the guitar, and what they can't do. Jimi coaxed all manner of noises out of his guitars and expanded the guitar's vocabulary, so to speak.

My point wasn't that they aren't technically proficient enough to be considered good guitarists. Any asshole can play skillfully, doesn't mean they play well or create good music (see Dragonforce or Yngwie or any of the other guys who just play scales and arpeggios really fast). And I don't dislike Morello or White.

From my perspective, Hendrix was great because he was the first. I also enjoy his music and guitar playing. And yeah, any asshole can play skillfully and I don't listen to people who just play scales really fast. I interpreted notyou2's statement as Hendrix being ultimately skilled. He's not ultimately skilled. Hendrix was a pioneer and a genius, but he wasn't the greatest guitar player of all time in terms of skill.

IMO he was the greatest. I love Gerry Garcia and his playing was awesome, but he wasn't a Hendrix. I love Jimmy Page and believe he comes closer to Hendrix, but still not there. Jeff Beck is incredible, as are most others mentioned in this poll. However, I miss Gerry the most. He could change my mood just listening to him, and there was NOTHING LIKE A DEAD SHOW. Thankfully he left us with a huge library of recorded concerts.
Captain notyou2

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,