Flu Shots, MFers

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Flu? No Flu? WTF?

got flu shot, no flu
24%
got flu shot, got flu
5%
no flu shot, got flu
10%
no flu shot, no flu
56%
Sick Kittens
5%

Total votes : 41

Flu Shots, MFers

Postby #1_stunna on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 pm

People I know, who have the flu got a flu shot, and their spouses, who have not had the shot; do not have the flu!

W
T
F
!!!
12:17:31 ‹Pixar› im gonna be fappin to that all night long
10:59:12 ‹rhp 1› holy hell... that did it.. I pissed myself
15:15:52 ‹Ace Rimmer› Sackett58, I think I may get some action this weekend
15:16:05 ‹Sackett58› Right hand or left Ace?
Major #1_stunna

Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Re: Flu Shots, MFers

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah, it's a scam.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby notyou2 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm

The government in conjunction with the drug companies are putting microchips in the shots so they know where you are at all times and can infect you to increase the consumption of the drugs they make.

Jay told me this.
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

notyou2 wrote:The government in conjunction with the drug companies are putting microchips in the shots so they know where you are at all times and can infect you to increase the consumption of the drugs they make.

Jay told me this.

I was just thinking they were injecting sugar water into everyone. :|
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:04 pm

It's not entirely a scam, but it's only about 65% effective. So, put your money on red or black, but in this case black comes up twice as often as red, so unless it's really expensive in your area, you're probably better off getting it than not getting it.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Neoteny on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Flu doesn't kill people. Secondary infections kill people.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Lieutenant Neoteny

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah, my problem has never been the flu. But it's been quite a few different illnesses besides it. Hell, I'll be in the same house for a week with 3 people who have the flu, and end up with bronchitis or something.
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

#1_stunna wrote:People I know, who have the flu got a flu shot, and their spouses, who have not had the shot; do not have the flu!

W
T
F
!!!

This seems to be the trend with people I know too but that could be confirmation bias.
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
#1_stunna wrote:People I know, who have the flu got a flu shot, and their spouses, who have not had the shot; do not have the flu!

W
T
F
!!!

This seems to be the trend with people I know too but that could be confirmation bias.

Previous to our trip to Europe, a friend of mine took a 14 day defenses strenghtening treatment. I don't know of what it consisted but I know it was a pharmaceutical treatment. He wanted me to take one but I forgot to start it. In the 5th day of the trip he got a cold. :lol: :lol: I was next to him the whole trip and never got it until the NY flight-stop (25 days later). I had to buy an expensive ugly sweatshirt at JFK.

Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby TheProwler on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 am

I've never received a flu shot and I've only had the flu once in 10 years or more. At least "full blown flu symptoms". Puking...fever...shivering...etc.

I think a lot of people get a bad common cold and think it's the flu.
El Capitan X wrote:The people in flame wars just seem to get dimmer and dimmer. Seriously though, I love your style, always a good read.
Brigadier TheProwler

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12)

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:43 am

Yo. It depends on what strains they've got in the vaccines. There are numerous different strains of influenza viruses and the powers that be decide which go into the pot (usually about three) each year depending on past records of infections and predicted recurrences (or the vaccine cultures are the wrong kind- I don't know if this happens often). Most likely those that get signs of flu are encountering strains which they've never had before or it's been so long that their memory B cell populations have decreased dramatically and they have to produce more. Or they have poor immune systems, or whatever other reasons.

The cultures they put into vaccines are weakened though, and it's pretty much impossible these days to catch something serious from a flu vaccine; if you get that immune response it's probable that it's going to be a lot less severe than if you caught flu the old-fashioned way. Plus, it's actually a good thing, it means your immune system is functioning properly in response to the antigens from the flu vaccine.

I've never had a flu vaccine, though. Haven't had the flu since I was a kid (>15 years).

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 am

It's a scam! Anything for the almighty Dollar.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influ ... eness.html

A new scientific study published in The Lancet reveals that influenza vaccines only prevent influenza in 1.5 out of every 100 adults who are injected with the flu vaccine. Yet, predictably, this report is being touted by the quack science community, the vaccine-pushing CDC and the scientifically-inept mainstream media as proof that "flu vaccines are 60% effective!"

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influ ... z2Hkr6YnV7

BTW: I was the 13th voter.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:31 am

Viceroy63 wrote:It's a scam! Anything for the almighty Dollar.

A new scientific study published in The Lancet reveals that influenza vaccines only prevent influenza in 1.5 out of every 100 adults who are injected with the flu vaccine. Yet, predictably, this report is being touted by the quack science community, the vaccine-pushing CDC and the scientifically-inept mainstream media as proof that "flu vaccines are 60% effective!"

You're gullible or a troll. Good day, sir.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Yo. It depends on what strains they've got in the vaccines. There are numerous different strains of influenza viruses and the powers that be decide which go into the pot (usually about three) each year depending on past records of infections and predicted recurrences (or the vaccine cultures are the wrong kind- I don't know if this happens often). Most likely those that get signs of flu are encountering strains which they've never had before or it's been so long that their memory B cell populations have decreased dramatically and they have to produce more. Or they have poor immune systems, or whatever other reasons.

The cultures they put into vaccines are weakened though, and it's pretty much impossible these days to catch something serious from a flu vaccine; if you get that immune response it's probable that it's going to be a lot less severe than if you caught flu the old-fashioned way. Plus, it's actually a good thing, it means your immune system is functioning properly in response to the antigens from the flu vaccine.

I've never had a flu vaccine, though. Haven't had the flu since I was a kid (>15 years).

-TG

Same here. Obviously, we are superior human beings. The rest can be weeded out--as evolution has dictated for those poor miserable weak humans.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 am

Viceroy63 wrote:It's a scam! Anything for the almighty Dollar.

You should try reading that before proclaiming it from the heavens. He can't even keep his figures or data straight:

The "treatment group" consisted of adults who were vaccinated with a trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine. Out of this group, according to the study, only 1.2% did not catch the flu.

So he's saying that 98.8% of the variable group caught the flu? That's, like, the most virulent strain of influenza, ever. Which is pretty amazing considering it's an inactivated culture. Scroll down a few lines and:

First, you take the 2.73% in the control group who got the flu, and you divide that into the 1.18% in the treatment group who got the flu. This gives you 0.43.

Why the disparity? Because he's a twat.

Try boning up on cell-mediated immunity before accusing others of ignorance when you so readily display it yourself.

-TG

edit: oh god, this guy is terrible at stats:

you are 400% more likely to be injured by the drug than helped by it! (Or 4 times more likely, which is the same thing stated differently.)

4x= 300% increase.
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?