Friendly mentally challenged people.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
ghostly447 wrote:With the whole debate on if you could give the man his winnings, etc, I am surprised that I did not once come across the word "Karma". Im new to the forums so I dont know if the posters in here just dont believe in such a thing, or what, but personally I do. So with that said, a large sum would be difficult to resist, but I believe that the right thing is always the answer. Honestly, maybe believing there is Karma is my mistake because not too much good has come out of me working tirelessly to help friends with their high school anxiety, etc, where they feel like they just arent worth it, etc and I end up talking to them. Back on track. Though it would be difficult to resist, I just feel I would be a hypocrite to take it because I only go by a couple rules. Respect, and Anti-Hypocracy. So to go against either (must less, by taking the money, both) would, in my opinion, break the only 2 real moral codes I live by, and that is not something I look to do.

On a related note, the life styles class at my school has quite a few friendly people that I occasionally talk to when I see them in the halls, and I had the (I say funny because it put the biggest smile on my face) opportunity to actually give one of them a high five as I passed them on a walkway. I dont see them as any different, just slightly less intellectual which does not effect their emotion (besides giving them a nice smile all the time). And I dont mean "Them" as in, lets classify them! I mean it as in the mentally challenged I have met in the past.


The rule of Hypos is a dangerous thing. :P

I don't believe in karma because it's a concept which is fueled by your own selective perception, or rather confirmation bias. Nevertheless, karma acts as a self-regulating enforcer which probably induces good moral behavior for the user on average. If that's the case, then karma is fine with me.


Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.

If you yell at someone for cutting in front of you, your blood pressure goes up, you shorten your life, or you become distracted, you get into an accident, or long term, just get more used to angry outbursts, and lose jobs, relationships and end up in the gutter.

If you let it go, and waved them in, your blood pressure stabilized, you were more focused on driving, you avoided an accident, you were less likely to have an outburst with your wife, and your boss, so your life is better, because of every little choice like that you made.

On the other hand, you could have let them in and got rear ended by a semi, so who really knows. :D
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
User avatar
Major AAFitz
 
Posts: 7216
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby john9blue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I am still at the point in my life where I know, no matter what he won, Id have insured that he got his proper winnings, and I hope that never changes.


it's very easy to say this hypothetically on an anonymous online forum. but i think everyone has their breaking point, a certain amount of money where they would try to scam the guy out of his tickets just so they could get it instead.


Well, some of us hold our Christian Values higher than others I guess. Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.


not sure why you think i'm some kind of hardcore christian... but at least you acknowledge that christianity's influence on our society's ethics was enough to teach you right and wrong.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby KoolBak on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Who teaches, say, the majority of the Chinese right and wrong?
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
User avatar
Sergeant KoolBak
 
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

KoolBak wrote:Who teaches, say, the majority of the Chinese right and wrong?

Their parents.

I'm not sure you're farmiliar with a few of the so called "human rights" issues over there.

I'm reasonably sure if I was at a restaurant there I wouldn't have seen the guy from the OP. My brother Bilbo, we keep him in a cage, yes.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby AAFitz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:17 pm

john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I am still at the point in my life where I know, no matter what he won, Id have insured that he got his proper winnings, and I hope that never changes.


it's very easy to say this hypothetically on an anonymous online forum. but i think everyone has their breaking point, a certain amount of money where they would try to scam the guy out of his tickets just so they could get it instead.


Well, some of us hold our Christian Values higher than others I guess. Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.


not sure why you think i'm some kind of hardcore christian... but at least you acknowledge that christianity's influence on our society's ethics was enough to teach you right and wrong.


Oh, so you dont believe in Christs teachings, and you would be fine from stealing from a handicapped person?

If I misjudged your belief in God, than I apologize. I didnt realize you were an atheist.
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
User avatar
Major AAFitz
 
Posts: 7216
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Edit: fixed player like quotes. Twice. :oops:
AAFitz wrote:Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.


I find generally things for sure comeback on you. It might just be the fact that if you're a dick people are going to at best try to avoid you.

If you're a decent person people will be empathetic and want to help you out.

If I won the lotto myself I'd totally buy that guy whoppers everytime I see him. It's fun to buy people lunch, especially someone that's nice and friendly.
Last edited by 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby john9blue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm

AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I am still at the point in my life where I know, no matter what he won, Id have insured that he got his proper winnings, and I hope that never changes.


it's very easy to say this hypothetically on an anonymous online forum. but i think everyone has their breaking point, a certain amount of money where they would try to scam the guy out of his tickets just so they could get it instead.


Well, some of us hold our Christian Values higher than others I guess. Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.


not sure why you think i'm some kind of hardcore christian... but at least you acknowledge that christianity's influence on our society's ethics was enough to teach you right and wrong.


Oh, so you dont believe in Christs teachings, and you would be fine from stealing from a handicapped person?

If I misjudged your belief in God, than I apologize. I didnt realize you were an atheist.


so anyone who doesn't believe in christ's teachings is an atheist?

sounds to me like more proof that you're a disgruntled 18 year old who was raised by terrible christian parents and wants to rebel.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm

2dimes wrote:Edit: fixed player like quotes. Twice. :oops:
AAFitz wrote:Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.


I find generally things for sure comeback on you. It might just be the fact that if you're a dick people are going to at best try to avoid you.

If you're a decent person people will be empathetic and want to help you out.

If I won the lotto myself I'd totally buy that guy whoppers everytime I see him. It's fun to buy people lunch, especially someone that's nice and friendly.


Aw shucks, that's AAFitz, not me.

RE: your post, I'd view that as the (un)intended consequences of one's actions as well as others--but this in no way provides evidence of karma.*

*note: we may be using different definitions of karma.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't claim to know Karma. It's very complex and has to do with re-encarnation. I'll start screwing up an explaination of how it works to explain something I was reading about it a while ago.

Everything is your Karma, an individual action will effect your next action thus diluting and magnifying that action at the same time...

Not being able to spell individual may or may not affect my Karma. Basically I don't know enough about actual Karma to say wether or not I believe in parts of it. I don't believe in re-encarnation though I like to consider the concept sometimes. So I can't understand it even if I do try to learn more about it.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm

2dimes wrote:I don't claim to know Karma. It's very complex and has to do with re-encarnation. I'll start screwing up an explaination of how it works to explain somehthing I was reading about it a while ago.

Everything is your Karma, an individual action will effect your next action thus diluting and magnifying that action at the same time...

Not being able to spell individual may or may not affect my Karma. Basically I don't know enough about actual Karma to say wether or not I believe in parts of it. I don't believe in re-encarnation though I like to consider the concept sometimes. So I can't understand it even if I do try to learn more about it.


Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D

As long as we're both allowed to change our minds I like it.
I'm even ok with you calling me names like that if you can't understand Christians disagree with me more often than Atheists.

Do you want to go for some Whoppers if we're in the same area?
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

2dimes wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D

As long as we're both allowed to change our minds I like it.
I'm even ok with you calling me names like that if you can't understand Christians disagree with me more often than Atheists.

Do you want to go for some Whoppers if we're in the same area?




Whoppers?



Image
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:07 am

Love that show. First time I saw that scene I nearly wet myself.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of flame broiled goodness with tomatoes, pickles and stuff.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 am

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 am

2dimes wrote:Actual Karma (sp?) is pretty complex and would take a westerner years to start thinking in a way that would let them start to understand it...



I think westerners can understand Karma by making a cocktail out of these two:
"Cast your bread upon the waters"
"What goes around comes around".
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Sergeant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eddy_26 and 4 guests

Login