Godlike Forsight

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Rock the vote!

God is a dickhead.
No votes
God is a mysterious, all-loving, omniscient, all-powerful, dickhead.
5%
I'm offended! My beliefs! My beliefs! OHHH THE AGONIZING CONTRADICTIONS!!!!
14%
Get another God; this one's broken.
9%
I'm atheist.
23%
I'm agnostic.
27%
I'm a kitten.
14%
I'm a theist.
9%

Total votes : 22

Godlike Forsight

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Suppose you know that if your friend enters the convenience store, in about 10 minutes, he'll be murdered by a robber.
All you have to do is say, "Hey, let's go to the other convenience store."

You then saved your friend's life. Pat yourself on the back.

Since God is allegedly omniscient, then he has the ability to prevent many unnecessary deaths. Yet, he doesn't intervene. He simply lets many people unnecessarily die.

Is this negligent?
What kind of dickhead lets someone die like that?
"Sorry, dude, but you know, I can't directly intervene cuz free will--except for all those times when I intervened about 2000 years ago."

Doesn't make any sense at all.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Godlike Forsight

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Suppose you know that if your friend enters the convenience store, in about 10 minutes, he'll be murdered by a robber.

Since God is allegedly omniscient, then he has the ability to prevent many unnecessary deaths. Yet, he doesn't intervene. He simply lets many people unnecessarily die.

Is this negligent?
"Sorry, dude, but you know, I can't directly intervene cuz free will--except for all those times when I intervened about 2000 years ago."

Why are you presupposing in your argument that your friend's death is a bad thing in the grand scheme of things? It may not make sense from your perspective but I don't think anyone would argue that you are all knowing. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 pm

I'll just respond with the same over simplification technique as the OP. I'm also going to get in touch with my feminine side here for my write in vote.

It's not you God, it's me.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Good, like foreskin.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Why are you presupposing in your argument that your friend's death is a bad thing in the grand scheme of things? It may not make sense from your perspective but I don't think anyone would argue that you are all knowing. ;)

I was going to preemptively summarize all the religious responses you will get to this intractable problem by saying "god works in mysterious, dickish ways". But FT already beat me too it.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Why are you presupposing in your argument that your friend's death is a bad thing in the grand scheme of things? It may not make sense from your perspective but I don't think anyone would argue that you are all knowing. ;)

I was going to preemptively summarize all the religious responses you will get to this intractable problem by saying "god works in mysterious, dickish ways". But FT already beat me too it.

Suuure you were.
I would never cite such an overused cliche, especially since it's again taking the point of view of the human(a being which actually understands very little about the universe). Also, what makes my response religious, pray tell? You could at least try to hold your bias in just a teensy bit for the sake of being accurate.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Suuure you were.
I would never cite such an overused cliche, especially since it's again taking the point of view of the human(a being which actually understands very little about the universe). Also, what makes my response religious, pray tell? You could at least try to hold your bias in just a teensy bit for the sake of being accurate.

Yes, I was (it's kinda my catchprhrase) See: [1] and [2]

Your response is religious because it defends an omnipotent, omniscient being who lets this happen:

Is god unable to stop that kid from dying WITHOUT any further negative consequences ? Then he's not omnipotent.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Suppose you know that if your friend enters the convenience store, in about 10 minutes, he'll be murdered by a robber.

Is this negligent?

One could argue that life without death is no life at all, and that death exists, so we can truly enjoy life. I am not one of them though.
However, the more people that die, mean the more people that can live on some level, so its possible the goal is to create as many souls as possible?

My personal philosophy, which I think could be the only true plan of an actual GOOD God, ie a god of pure good, would be that earth was absolutely a test, and that the afterlife would reward you in exact proportion to every single decision you ever made, and make up for all inequity whatsoever, on an infinite level. Only in this way would there be any equity in any way, and only then could one consider God to be GOOD.

If there is inequity, there is evil, defacto.

There are other possibilities though, and one would be that God is not GOOD, and is just God. Great maybe, and all powerful, but not infinitely GOOD.

Also, given the ability to do anything, the afterlife might be so good, that all inequity became irrelevant, but again, there would have to be some accounting for massive inequity and suffering.

What is unlikely, is that anyone has any clue whatsoever about the nature of God, since the number of theories is so broad in range, its simply a mathematical improbability. Maybe everyone is close, maybe everyone is so far off that God is laughing, and if we know anything about God, its that he absolutely has a sense of humor.

The other possibility of course is that there isnt really any creator whatsoever, and people made up stories as people do, to explain the unknown. Then they may have set up entire religions based on these, and used them to wield power and influence.

In any case, given infinite ability to know and do anything, one can construct any version of God and have it fit, given you are crazy enough really.
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
Major AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Suuure you were.

Yes, I was (it's kinda my catchprhrase) See: [1] and [2]

Your response is religious because it defends an omnipotent, omniscient being who lets this happen:

Is god unable to stop that kid from dying WITHOUT any further negative consequences ? Then he's not omnipotent.

That is not necessarily true. If, in an afterlife, all said suffering and pain were somehow rewarded on and infinite level, and similarly all bad deeds were atoned, one could say that all is fair...theoretically.

Mostly I think most religious people dont give a flying f*ck about people starving and just use religion as a delusion to get through the day, and block out all the injustice in the world, so they can justify their ignoring of the suffering of millions of people, all while pretending to be pious and righteous spreading the word of some God, whose message, they have clearly missed, or ignored.

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
Major AAFitz

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Weeee. Now we're getting some good discussion going.

Without evil, good doesn't exist. Balance.

That's the basis for one of my favorite religions. Taoism. I believe in our current state of being on this planet, everything works together to at least give the illusion of balance. Hot - cold, Water - wind, Black - white, Good - evil...

I think it also causes us to expect that things in the long run have to balance or they don't make sense to the way we view everything. There are way too many rational (in some cases simple) things for any single person to know well. Then add in complex things that have not been discovered or properly understood yet.

I basically by comparison of what exists know very very little.
Corporal 2dimes

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Your response is religious because it defends an omnipotent, omniscient being who lets this happen:

I don't remember defending anything, that's pure projection on your part. Your seething bitterness regarding this subject seems to affect your ability to enter into it in a reasonable way.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

AAFitz wrote:Mostly I think most religious people dont give a flying f*ck about people starving and just use religion as a delusion to get through the day, and block out all the injustice in the world, so they can justify their ignoring of the suffering of millions of people, all while pretending to be pious and righteous spreading the word of some God, whose message, they have clearly missed, or ignored.

Most Christians (and I have no stats, just by observation of any I've interacted with on some level to the point of noticing.) either have on occasion or regularly give to one or more charitable organisations like the ones that use those type of images.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

AAFitz wrote:Mostly I think most religious people dont give a flying f*ck about people starving and just use religion as a delusion to get through the day, and block out all the injustice in the world, so they can justify their ignoring of the suffering of millions of people, all while pretending to be pious and righteous spreading the word of some God, whose message, they have clearly missed, or ignored.

<steps outta dinosaur suit>

Are they really worthy of blame? Who are we to judge that their subjective valuation of profit and opportunity cost are incorrect?

It can be frustrating to hear uninformed voters (more or less) blindly clamoring for state intervention while demanding the opposition to resolve imagined and/or expected intricate problems about proposals in favor of the market. How can I compile centuries of knowledge and confine them into a few posts? How do I convince people to at least level the same standard of criticism against the government?

Many of us develop into these various belief systems or ideologies while hardly engaging in some serious introspection. Introspection, critical thinking, and searching for information is not costless, so why not seek the lowest priced substitute (e.g. God did it; need more regulation; etc.)?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re:

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

2dimes wrote:

Most Christians (and I have no stats, just by observation of any I've interacted with on some level to the point of noticing.) either have on occasion or regularly give to one or more charitable organisations like the ones that use those type of images.

And that's exactly why I said you completely missed the entire point of Christs teachings...because you think that is enough, or could even be mentioned without embarrassment.

And just so you know, so do most atheists.
Last edited by AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Major AAFitz

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

<steps outta dinosaur suit>

Are they really worthy of blame? Who are we to judge that their subjective valuation of profit and opportunity cost are incorrect?

It can be frustrating to hear uninformed voters (more or less) blindly clamoring for state intervention while demanding the opposition to resolve imagined and/or expected intricate problems about proposals in favor of the market. How can I compile centuries of knowledge and confine them into a few posts? How do I convince people to at least level the same standard of criticism against the government?

Many of us develop into these various belief systems or ideologies while hardly engaging in some serious introspection. Introspection, critical thinking, and searching for information is not costless, so why not seek the lowest priced substitute (e.g. God did it; need more regulation; etc.)?

Im not blaming them. Im hardly suggesting I am any better. However, if one simply studies the Bible, and reads what it suggests we do in the face of human suffering and evil, there isnt really any way to interpret other than, Do not stand for this.

People instead assume its Gods will, and go on with their lives, when its very clear, that if the Bible was written by God, it was his will that such suffering was meant to be stopped. Theoretically, he sent his son to die so we would get the point even better, and its really straightforward, so on some level, except those doing everything they can, the blame absolutely rests with them, myself included.

Major AAFitz

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?