Conquer Club

2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2/3 of Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:The thing I like best about these outlandish theories is that it's the very same people who complain that the government can't do absolutely anything right that turn around and in the same breath claim the government orchestrated a conspiracy involving thousands of people without any credible evidence outside of grainy youtube videos slipping through the cracks.

Haggis, it is all ruse. The ineptitude is a ruse! Didn't you know?! Quick, lets hie to my (and by my, I mean Tom Cruise's) bunker.

--Andy

It has a swimming pool at the bottom? SWEET>
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby _sabotage_ on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 pm

I never claimed they're inept, i just claim they aren't for the people and the best politician is the one who we still like even after he has fucked us as hard as the rest.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby nietzsche on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 pm

You are all missing the point.

The key here is why people like conspiracy theories, what do they remind them.

Have you read the Hero with a thousand faces?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 am

nietzsche wrote:You are all missing the point.

I recall seeing that book in the movie Big Fish. That's the extent of my knowledge about it. :P

Are you saying that conspiracy theorists (CTs) view themselves as the hero who will bring back the booty to others?

What role do CTs play in Campbell's monomyth?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Maugena on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 am

john9blue wrote:
/ wrote:Why do several of those percentages add up to a 101% total?

and more importantly, why are they all integers??? the plot thickens...

Hahahaha. +1 for humour.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby nietzsche on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

I recall seeing that book in the movie Big Fish. That's the extent of my knowledge about it. :P

Are you saying that conspiracy theorists (CTs) view themselves as the hero who will bring back the booty to others?

I'm saying that all of us have a innate tendency to believe in a myth. It's a story in the back of our minds all the time. I believe (I have no proof or scholar article) that it's somehow the origin of the tendecy we all have to believe in conspiracy theories.
General nietzsche

Postby warmonger1981 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world financial order where borders mean nothing as bankers will run everything through finance?. Henry Kissinger has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. Kissinger even said on MSNBC Obama will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka NATO and world banking court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 am

warmonger1981 wrote:Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world financial order where borders mean nothing as bankers will run everything through finance?. Henry Kissinger has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. Kissinger even said on MSNBC Obama will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka NATO and world banking court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world kitten order where borders mean nothing as youtubers will run everything through cat videos?. USAToday has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. USAToday even said in USAToday "Simon" will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka INTERNET and world cat court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 am

nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I'm saying that all of us have a innate tendency to believe in a myth. It's a story in the back of our minds all the time. I believe (I have no proof or scholar article) that it's somehow the origin of the tendecy we all have to believe in conspiracy theories.

There's not much mythic with conspiracy theories. It begins with, "No, X didn't happen; Y did."

(to be clear, there's a difference between Campbell's use of "myth"--as in, "epic quest," and your use of "myth"--i.e. "urban legend").
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby _sabotage_ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

And some of us believe in investigation, which usually starts with considering means, motive and opportunity.

Some of us worry about the shock doctrine, the use of crisis to bring about change that the public doesn't necessarily want for the advantage of a few.

Some of us especially worry that knowing that a crisis will enable the desired change, for example when the 2000 report by the neocons suggest that a New Pearl Harbor would be necessary to implement the New American Century, and that one year later that crisis happens and all the changes that were suggested in the document come to pass, and those in power are the neocons, who own shares in and have close ties to defense contractors, then there seems to be a very logical progression.

When others tend to ignore all the facts and blame a person who had not the means, or opportunity to carry out a crisis and in no way benefited from it, especially when the blame is being laid by those who benefit from it, it makes me wonder why all investigative techniques have been ignored, is it simply so that you won't be asked to leave your comfort zone?
Captain _sabotage_

Postby _sabotage_ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opini ... .html?_r=0

This is the official reason Bush ignored the 6 warnings of an imminent attack.

But some in the administration considered the warning to be just bluster. An intelligence official and a member of the Bush administration both told me in interviews that the neoconservative leaders who had recently assumed power at the Pentagon were warning the White House that the C.I.A. had been fooled; according to this theory, Bin Laden was merely pretending to be planning an attack to distract the administration from Saddam Hussein, whom the neoconservatives saw as a greater threat. Intelligence officials, these sources said, protested that the idea of Bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist, conspiring with Mr. Hussein, an Iraqi secularist, was ridiculous, but the neoconservatives’ suspicions were nevertheless carrying the day.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
warmonger1981 wrote:Anyone think

Anyone think
natural progression will sooner or later funnel us all into a new world kitten order where borders mean nothing as youtubers will run everything through cat videos?. USAToday has been beating the drum for years as other leaders are now talking about it. USAToday even said in USAToday "Simon" will have a great opportunity to usher it in. We already have a world court aka INTERNET and world cat court. Thats NOT A CONSPIRACY.

--Andy

I like the new Andy.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

#1, #3 and #4 are all presented in an attempt to make readers assume #2 is also a baseless conspiracy theory. (which means, I suppose, that I'm a conspiracy nut).

I got 3 of the 4 questions correct - not sure where our highest concentration of drone attacks takes place. I thought probably Afghanistan... but I'm guessing.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby nietzsche on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

There's not much mythic with conspiracy theories. It begins with, "No, X didn't happen; Y did."

(to be clear, there's a difference between Campbell's use of "myth"--as in, "epic quest," and your use of "myth"--i.e. "urban legend").

Nope, I meant it in the epic quest way.

I'm going to leave it there though, you are not ready ;)
General nietzsche

Postby b.k. barunt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 am

Maybe i'm missing something, but i'd have to say that those who believe in conspiricies are those who refuse to accept the various myths that comprise our (or anyone's) nationalistic culture.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 am

and where have you been for the past year, mr. cheese roller?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby _sabotage_ on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 am

how did you get so few points?
Captain _sabotage_

Postby warmonger1981 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:40 am

I actually never seen it on youtube I actually seen it on live TV . January 5, 2009 Henry Kissinger MSNBC. Only a fool would believe everything on youtube or TV but facts are fact. Learn history of different cultues, fiance, and psychological behaviors of individuals to control most through subconscious submission. As long as a majority of the people are satisfied or content the elite can let society run itself.See through the lies of all people. I believe a Keynesian type society is being built to supply a Keynesian style financial world personally. There are already mega corporations that are global along with banks. Let individual countries govern themselves under a set of global laws..Go towars a cashless or credit society. Hows that for crazy...
Captain warmonger1981

Postby b.k. barunt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 am

I have to agree. Anyone who accepts the pap that is dished out to the masses is a fool of the most common stripe. Even the most bizarre conspiracy theories make more sense than the traditional tripe that most citizen types embrace as gospel.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby nietzsche on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 am

b.k. barunt wrote:I have to agree. Anyone who accepts the pap that is dished out to the masses is a fool of the most common stripe. Even the most bizarre conspiracy theories make more sense than the traditional tripe that most citizen types embrace as gospel.

Honibaz

Sadly, the idea that believers in conspiracy theories are nuts is the best ally of the perpetrators.
General nietzsche

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 am

b.k. barunt wrote:Maybe i'm missing something, but i'd have to say that those who believe in conspiricies are those who refuse to accept the various myths that comprise our (or anyone's) nationalistic culture.

Honibaz

Sure, it's valuable not to blindly accept the government's story.
However blindly rejecting it cause "government's are evil" is just as bad and stinks of those goth kids who are all so "special" that they have to dress and act all the same to establish how much of a freethinker they are.

You have to judge them independently and most conspiracy theories are fuckin insane. Vaccines causing autism? Chemtrails ? C'mon.

Btw. Welcome back bk
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby _sabotage_ on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:00 am

The original graph shows that 56% of people think Bush didn't know about the attacks, but the NYTimes shows he had six warnings, and the reason he ignored them is because the neocons told him not to take his attention away from Saddam. So who is the conspiracy theorist?

The neocons wanted war with in Iraq, they chose to ignore the warnings, and then the events made them able to go to war in Iraq. Hmmm.

I just wonder how much the aided the terrorist to make sure it was a big event.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:09 am

_sabotage_ wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opinion/the-bush-white-house-was-deaf-to-9-11-warnings.html?_r=0

This is the official reason Bush ignored the 6 warnings of an imminent attack.

But some in the administration considered the warning to be just bluster. An intelligence official and a member of the Bush administration both told me in interviews that the neoconservative leaders who had recently assumed power at the Pentagon were warning the White House that the C.I.A. had been fooled; according to this theory, Bin Laden was merely pretending to be planning an attack to distract the administration from Saddam Hussein, whom the neoconservatives saw as a greater threat. Intelligence officials, these sources said, protested that the idea of Bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist, conspiring with Mr. Hussein, an Iraqi secularist, was ridiculous, but the neoconservatives’ suspicions were nevertheless carrying the day.

Have you read The Looming Tower?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am

_sabotage_ wrote:The original graph shows that 56% of people think Bush didn't know about the attacks, but the NYTimes shows he had six warnings, and the reason he ignored them is because the neocons told him not to take his attention away from Saddam. So who is the conspiracy theorist?

The neocons wanted war with in Iraq, they chose to ignore the warnings, and then the events made them able to go to war in Iraq. Hmmm.

I just wonder how much the aided the terrorist to make sure it was a big event.

How about War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 am

nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Nope, I meant it in the epic quest way.

I'm going to leave it there though, you are not ready ;)

You really think that CTs view themselves as heroes?
Major BigBallinStalin

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,