Conquer Club

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Total votes : 0

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:First of all, history is never black and white, especially the farther back you go.

Secondly, a wife (lets put it at that for simplicity) at 14 or so was not that uncommon in the US and Europe, dating back centuries. Mainly due to the stress of child bearing as younger usually meant healthier and able to withstand giving birth multiple times (rare was a woman who did not have multiple babies) due to the high infant mortality rate. A good example would be Romeo and Juliet. The original Juliet was supposed to be around 12, if I remember I right, while Romeo would be in his mid 20s. By today's standards, that would make him a pedophile and sent to prison without a second thought. 200 years ago and more, that was more the standard. Hell, it wasn't even strange to see 1st cousins marry eachother (Edgar Allen Poe married his cousin for example), and royalty went a step further at times, even marrying their own siblings.

So the whole age thing is a moot point for history. As for consent, well, that's hard to say (other than being a slave I mean). If she did not want to have intercourse with him, than it would have been rape, but if she was willing to, it would have been consentual, and therefore no crime committed.

But seriously, to compare modern day morals and ethics to those 200+ years ago is, well, for lack of a better way, foolish. Different times, different morals, different ethics, and different laws.

PS, wikipedia is a bad source to cite, as it is not peer reviewed (and can be edited by literally anyone) and professors and experts of all branches of education will laugh at it and give you an 'F' if used as a source, especially historians and history professors.

She was never his wife. Your premise is unsound.

Good points, tzor. Sym here won't explain exactly what his argument is, so we shouldn't worry about his criticism--until of course he fully explains his argument.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=187020&start=105#p4092100

(It's not gonna happen cuz he's trolling).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Re:

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:She was never his wife. Your premise is unsound.

Good points, tzor. Sym here won't explain exactly what his argument is, so we shouldn't worry about his criticism--until of course he fully explains his argument.

Actually, BBS, he has explained his point: "she was young," and "she was a slave."

Those two things happen to be facts.

What Symmetry simply refuses to accept is, as distasteful as he personally finds those facts, those two facts do not make Jefferson a rapist.

Back then, old man/young woman was more common than it is today, and just because the woman could be 2 years younger than she's allowed to be (legally) today, doesn't mean she was "raped."

And just because she happened to be a slave doesn't mean he forced her to have sex with him; thus, doesn't mean she was "raped."
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby greenoaks on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 am

stahrgazer wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Actually, BBS, he has explained his point: "she was young," and "she was a slave."

What Symmetry simply refuses to accept is, as distasteful as he personally finds those facts, those two facts do not make Jefferson a rapist.

Back then, old man/young woman was more common than it is today, and just because the woman could be 2 years younger than she's allowed to be (legally) today, doesn't mean she was "raped."

And just because she happened to be a slave doesn't mean he forced her to have sex with him; thus, doesn't mean she was "raped."

that's right, Sym doesn't understand rape is when you have sex with someone you are not permitted to have sex with. Jefferson had permission.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am

greenoaks wrote:that's right, Sym doesn't understand rape is when you have sex with someone you are not permitted to have sex with. Jefferson had permission.

"Statutory rape" is when you have sex with someone you're not legally permitted to have sex with, and we know from existing laws, it wasn't statutory rape.

"Rape" is when you force sex on someone who's not into it. Since we don't know Sally wasn't into it, we have to conclude it wasn't rape (innocent until proven guilty.) Further, circumstantial evidence indicates she may just have been into it - she bore him several children over a reasonably long period of time which indicates that, owned or not,THEY considered her his mistress whether Symmetry likes it or not.

Sym, you dislike slavery. We get it. The rest of the states chose to agree with you about slavery - eventually.

That still doesn't mean that a slave couldn't have been "in love with" her owner, still doesn't mean she "had to have been raped" because they had children; and how he treated the kids she bore indicates warm feelings, not cold "power play" feelings.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
greenoaks wrote:that's right, Sym doesn't understand rape is when you have sex with someone you are not permitted to have sex with. Jefferson had permission.

"Statutory rape" is when you have sex with someone you're not legally permitted to have sex with, and we know from existing laws, it wasn't statutory rape.

"Rape" is when you force sex on someone who's not into it. Since we don't know Sally wasn't into it, we have to conclude it wasn't rape (innocent until proven guilty.) Further, circumstantial evidence indicates she may just have been into it - she bore him several children over a reasonably long period of time which indicates that, owned or not,THEY considered her his mistress whether Symmetry likes it or not.

Sym, you dislike slavery. We get it. The rest of the states chose to agree with you about slavery - eventually.

That still doesn't mean that a slave couldn't have been "in love with" her owner, still doesn't mean she "had to have been raped" because they had children; and how he treated the kids she bore indicates warm feelings, not cold "power play" feelings.

And I have said that I find the legalisms unconvincing. Simply making something legal, whether it be slavery, or rape, does not make it right, or free from being judged.

As for how he treated his kids. He never acknowledged them and kept them as slaves.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Owning human beings was more common than it is today, and legal. Doesn't mean I can't call it slavery. Sex without the freedom to consent is rape.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't understand how people are not understanding Symmetry's perfectly valid argument.

It doesn't matter how old the girl was; she was a slave. As such, she had no choice as to whether her master wanted to have sex with her. Just accept Symm's argument so he can move on to denigrating the writings of Jefferson because he raped a girl repeatedly.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Neoteny on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm

When you consider that the majority of rape (and specifically those that aren't the stereotypical assault in a dark alley variety) are heavily influenced by power dynamics, a lot of this tends become pretty obvious.

Consider prison rape if feminism is too mind addling.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I don't understand how people are not understanding Symmetry's perfectly valid argument.

It doesn't matter how old the girl was; she was a slave. As such, she had no choice as to whether her master wanted to have sex with her. Just accept Symm's argument so he can move on to denigrating the writings of Jefferson because he raped a girl repeatedly.

Actually, the underlined is unknown in its soundness. The answer hinges on these questions:

(1) Did she want to have sex with Jefferson?
    (2) Was the threat of force used to 'convince' her?
    (3) Can slaves make voluntary exchanges with their master? If not, why? (the answer which has yet to be fully developed).

No one knows the answers to #1 and #2, and since it's unknowable, concluding one way or the other would be based upon an unsound premise. Unsound because it's unknown.

If we assume #3 to be "No, it's involuntary in all exchanges," then obviously, we will find a self-serving conclusion--because we forgot about answering #1 and #2, (which Sym has yet to answer--for obvious reasons: it destroys his position).

So, based on all this, we can't accept your position nor Sym's.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Symmetry wrote:Owning human beings was more common than it is today, and legal. Doesn't mean I can't call it slavery. Sex without the freedom to consent is rape.

No, it's not. Rape requires force, abuse, or improper treatment.

The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
To seize and carry off by force.
To plunder or pillage.
ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English, from rapen, to rape, from Old French raper, to abduct, from Latin rapere, to seize; see rep- in Indo-European roots

That she was owned, no one disputes. That she could have been forced, because she was owned, no one disputes. But "could have been" and "was" are totally different things; and the way he otherwise conducted his life, including how he treated the offspring (freeing them when it was feasible for them to care for themselves rather than selling them or forcing them away from their mother at too young an age) is indirect evidence that he cherished, rather than abused, Sally.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby / on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Neoteny wrote:When you consider that the majority of rape (and specifically those that aren't the stereotypical assault in a dark alley variety) are heavily influenced by power dynamics, a lot of this tends become pretty obvious.

Consider prison rape if feminism is too mind addling.

A good point when considering consent.
We should also consider the probable mentality of Sally Hemings; she came from a class of people who were considered sub-human, and regardless of Mr.Jefferson's personal treatment, she would have known firsthand that disobedient slaves were beaten, sometimes to death, and that the owners controlled all aspects of their lives.

After all, her father was a slave trader, and her mother a concubine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayles

It is very unlikely this had a healthy impact on her psyche. Knowing this is there any way for a master to approach his slaves in a manner that does not carry undertones of coercion?

As a man skilled with words, perhaps it was possible for Thomas Jefferson, which is why I do not presume at any point sureness to guilt, but master/slave relationships in general imply unfairness.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:In cases of rape, I find "blaming the victim" a remarkably poor argument,

While I agree with you, you only have "your opinion" that Sally was raped. Others have a different opinion about it.

No- I have that she was 14 years old and a slave,

And utterly ignorant of what history really MEANS, that it is not the same as today. Persisting in this line is doing nothing but condemning anyone who doesn't live by the morals you consider correct today. You just don't have that right, nor is there any benefit from that.

You refuse to see that, but the truth is you are no different than anyone who judges another based purely on the surface and not the situation. You are truly no different than those who decide, for example, that because she submitted outside of marriage, did not fight to death... she is amoral and a harlot.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I don't understand how people are not understanding Symmetry's perfectly valid argument.

It doesn't matter how old the girl was; she was a slave. As such, she had no choice as to whether her master wanted to have sex with her.

Then most women of the time were raped. They had no choice, either. Women were not full citizens in most places, either.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Actually, the underlined is unknown in its soundness. The answer hinges on these questions:

(3) Can slaves make voluntary exchanges with their master? If not, why? (the answer which has yet to be fully developed).

No one knows the answers to #1 and #2, and since it's unknowable, concluding one way or the other would be based upon an unsound premise. Unsound because it's unknown.

If we assume #3 to be "No, it's involuntary in all exchanges," then obviously, we will find a self-serving conclusion--because we forgot about answering #1 and #2, (which Sym has yet to answer--for obvious reasons: it destroys his position).

Neoteny's example with respect to prison rape is approriate to answer your question. The threat of force may be implicit and not explicit.

Jefferson: "Hey want to have sex?"
Slave [internal dialogue]: "What happens if I don't have sex with him? Will he beat me? Will he send me out on my own? Will he make me work in the fields for 18 hours a day? I'd better have sex with him."
Slave: "Sure."

Yeah, we can't know whether she wanted to have sex with Jefferson, but we can reasonably assume she didn't want to. That's enough for me.

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

It doesn't matter how old the girl was; she was a slave. As such, she had no choice as to whether her master wanted to have sex with her.

Then most women of the time were raped. They had no choice, either. Women were not full citizens in most places, either.

Two 16 year olds can have consensual sex and are not full citizens. I'm unconvinced by your line of argument.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Neoteny's example with respect to prison rape is approriate to answer your question. The threat of force may be implicit and not explicit.

Jefferson: "Hey want to have sex?"
Slave [internal dialogue]: "What happens if I don't have sex with him? Will he beat me? Will he send me out on my own? Will he make me work in the fields for 18 hours a day? I'd better have sex with him."
Slave: "Sure."

Yeah, we can't know whether she wanted to have sex with Jefferson, but we can reasonably assume she didn't want to. That's enough for me.

That's not reasonable. We have no idea what their relationship was like, do we? Where's the case for it? Even the historians who've dedicated their lives to writing about Jefferson still can't agree on this (based on the wiki link).

Besides, almost all of us own living creatures--we call them pets. We're the masters, and they are the slaves. Do all pet owners treat their animals like shit? Do all pet owners beat their animals when they refuse to have intercourse whenever they misbehave? No, not in all cases, and no not all pet owners are shitty masters.

Given all that, I'd withhold judgment until actual evidence is presented. All flimsy assumptions shall be discarded!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Yeah, we can't know whether she wanted to have sex with Jefferson, but we can reasonably assume she didn't want to. That's enough for me.

No, we can't make that assumption, unless we have evidence that he was prone to beating slaves in general.

Further, since he treated her offspring fairly decently, keeping them until their maturity rather than selling them as the chattel they were - legally - the "reasonable assumption" we can make is that he WOULD NOT have beat her because he was a more decent sort than that.

And, lookie, lookie: she was sometimes PAID!!! And had gone with them to Paris (where, I believe, she could have fled, if she had so desired.)

It is not known whether Sally Hemings lived at Jefferson's residence, the HĆ“tel de Langeac, or at the Abbaye Royale de Panthemont, where Martha (Patsy) and Maria (Polly) Jefferson were boarding students. Jefferson, who had requested a travel companion for Maria who had had smallpox or had been inoculated against it, soon had Sally inoculated by one of the famous Doctors Sutton. While in Paris, she undoubtedly received training--especially in needlework and the care of clothing--to suit her for her position as lady's maid to Jefferson's daughters. She was occasionally paid a monthly wage of twelve livres (the equivalent of two dollars).
http://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/sally-hemings

Yes, treated cruelly...new clothing, separate berth... and, apparently, she wanted to remain in Virginia:

Sally Hemings acted as Martha Jefferson's attendant in the spring of 1789, when Patsy began to "go out" in French society (increased expenditures for clothing for both Patsy and Sally reflect this). When booking accommodations on the Clermont for the return to America, Jefferson asked that Sally's berth be "convenient to that of my daughters."[3]

Sally Hemings was never officially freed by Thomas Jefferson. It seems most likely that Jefferson's daughter Martha Randolph gave Sally "her time," a form of unofficial freedom that would enable her to remain in Virginia (the laws at that time required freed slaves to leave the state within a year). Madison Hemings reported that his mother lived in Charlottesville with him and his brother Eston until her death in 1835.[8] The location of her grave remains a mystery.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Neoteny on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:36 am

Two (related) things:

Coercion; it's very much less the idea that Jefferson succumbs to being a terrible person by default for owning people, and very much more that there is an inherent coercion involved in that act, which factors heavily into any relationship he might have had with any of his slaves. The power differential, so to speak, is necessarily enormous. And while, for the most part, this is limited (as much as can be said for slavery) only to the fact that Jefferson literally owned people, throwing sex into the mix creates a whole new set of issues, which are magnified proportionately with the increasing youth of the participant. Coercion + sex = rape in most peoples' minds, even without statutory laws. If you are going to convince me that Jefferson did not cross a line, then you have to convince me that slavery is not coercive. Even if, in an alternate universe where slavery never happened and Tom and Sally got together and loved and lived and laughed or whatever well-adjusted couples are supposed to do, the very addition of ownership to the picture so drastically changes the landscape such that everything falls back to this coercion in my mind. And that is not considering the outside social pressures like race and class and gender. In such an environment, it is an abuse of power. We'll never know if the inherent coercion did or did not play a factor in the relationship, but the power differential is so massive that remaining purely agnostic on this issue seems absurd. Odds are that coercion was a factor, and odds are that it was a significant factor. An ounce of coercion, particularly with a child, makes this rape.

Consent; I don't know that anyone really claims to know if Sally did or did not consent, nor expressed any doubt that Jefferson was probably a relatively okay guy. But what we do know is that a child that was owned by a powerful man was probably engaging in sexual activity with that man. That's rape in most western countries now (among other issues), even if she consents. If that happened today, none of you would hesitate to condemn it. If you can somehow justify it in your mind because it happened 200 years ago, that's between you and you, I guess, though I'd be curious about some of your thoughts on absolute morality. There could be some grey area here, though, because I don't think anyone really knows when the sex started, and the later it starts, the less this becomes an issue.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby chang50 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 am

Seems to me following this topic and another about Adams that it is considered a great heresy by many to be anything other than admiring of the 'Founding Fathers'.It is generally understood context is important,that is no great revelation as some imagine,but unless we examine the past critically there is no worthwhile history.
Captain chang50

Postby Symmetry on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:59 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Symmetry wrote:In cases of rape, I find "blaming the victim" a remarkably poor argument,

While I agree with you, you only have "your opinion" that Sally was raped. Others have a different opinion about it.

No- I have that she was 14 years old and a slave,

And utterly ignorant of what history really MEANS, that it is not the same as today. Persisting in this line is doing nothing but condemning anyone who doesn't live by the morals you consider correct today. You just don't have that right, nor is there any benefit from that.

You refuse to see that, but the truth is you are no different than anyone who judges another based purely on the surface and not the situation. You are truly no different than those who decide, for example, that because she submitted outside of marriage, did not fight to death... she is amoral and a harlot.

Pretty harsh. I have no respect for that take, and have explicitly rejected it.

I have no problem condemning slavery or rape.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:That's not reasonable. We have no idea what their relationship was like, do we? Where's the case for it? Even the historians who've dedicated their lives to writing about Jefferson still can't agree on this (based on the wiki link).

Besides, almost all of us own living creatures--we call them pets. We're the masters, and they are the slaves. Do all pet owners treat their animals like shit? Do all pet owners beat their animals when they refuse to have intercourse whenever they misbehave? No, not in all cases, and no not all pet owners are shitty masters.

Given all that, I'd withhold judgment until actual evidence is presented. All flimsy assumptions shall be discarded!

I'm not sure the pet analogy is appropriate. I mean, it's not appropriate, but it's also not appropriate because animals aren't at the same mental level as humans. So let's toss that out.

The mere ownership of a person, by itself, is shitty. We've made that quite clear in our history. So let's start with that, dare I say, premise - owning another human being is shitty. It may not have been considered shitty in the 18th century, but it's considered shitty now.

Once we start with that premise, the question becomes whether, as Neoteny has put it, coercion is a factor. When Bill Clinton got a BJ from Monica Lewinsky, we were concerned more with the president because he was in a position of power, as both Ms. Lewinsky's employer and as president. He was able to coerce her, whether he did coerce her or not is irrelevant.

It is worse with Mr. Jefferson. He owned her, she was not an employee. Therefore he was able to coerce her, and whether he did coerce her or not is irrelevant.

stahrgazer wrote:No, we can't make that assumption, unless we have evidence that he was prone to beating slaves in general.

Further, since he treated her offspring fairly decently, keeping them until their maturity rather than selling them as the chattel they were - legally - the "reasonable assumption" we can make is that he WOULD NOT have beat her because he was a more decent sort than that.

It doesn't matter if he beat her or not. It matters that he owned her. That is simply the only thing that matters. If she was a free black woman, there would likely still be some element of coercion, but I could see the argument you would have in that case. It doesn't matter how fairly he treated her; it matters that she was not free to leave the premises or do what she wanted to do.

Let me put it to you another way - would you trade spots with Ms. Hemings?

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:39 am

Neoteny wrote:Consent; I don't know that anyone really claims to know if Sally did or did not consent, nor expressed any doubt that Jefferson was probably a relatively okay guy. But what we do know is that a child that was owned by a powerful man was probably engaging in sexual activity with that man. That's rape in most western countries now (among other issues), even if she consents. If that happened today, none of you would hesitate to condemn it. If you can somehow justify it in your mind because it happened 200 years ago, that's between you and you, I guess, though I'd be curious about some of your thoughts on absolute morality. There could be some grey area here, though, because I don't think anyone really knows when the sex started, and the later it starts, the less this becomes an issue.

No, we don't know that "a child" was engaging in sexual activity. Back then, folks died quicker so were considered mature at a younger age (7-12 depending on the state.)

Additionally, from the accounts, her offspring came years after his wife (her half-sister) passed away, which means that, while he "owned" her at a young age because he inherited her, he did not necessarily have sex with her while she was that young. (He may have, he may not have; the most direct evidence is the offspring which came later.)

Further, it's clear from the history of her travels with the family in various parts of Europe that she had ample opportunity to leave if she wished, and, since she was sometimes paid for her labors, she was not considered "merely a chattel," as some would have it.

Also, from those accounts, she was given some amount of freedom, the amount of freedom tolerated by the laws of the state of Virginia at the time that would still enable her to remain in Virginia. (If she had been fully freed, she would either have to leave the state to go to an abolitionist state; or would be subject to enslavement by anyone else who crossed her path in Virginia.) If the family would go as far as that, it's quite reasonable to assume she was consulted as to her wishes and chose to remain rather than depart.

So the evidence indicates she may have been "slave" in name only, in which case no coercion can be assumed.

Jefferson himself never referred to her as his slave or his daughter's slave, he spoke of her as his daughter's lady's maid.

Now, in the case of a maid today employed by a powerful man/family, one might be able to assume a level of coercion or appeal; but one cannot assume that just because the man has sex with the maid, it had to be rape. (I believe A. Schwarzanneger is proved to have had sex with his maid, but I don't recall any story where she called it rape.)

Same applies with Jefferson and Sally: appeal and some level of coercion might be there, but not necessarily enough to call it "rape."

(You or someone brought up Clinton. Clinton was never accused of "raping" Monica L. - just accused of perjuring himself by saying he didn't have sex with her. It's considered "inappropriate" for employer/employee, but it's not necessarily rape.)

As for the "pet" analogy - it's perfectly appropriate IF the slaveowner treated his slaves as chattel. If, on the other hand, there is evidence that the slaveowner treated the slave with some human dignity, then agreed, you have to toss out the pet analogy. But, when you add the human factor, you lose some credibility as far as the "coercion = rape" because if the owner treats the property as a human, the owner is also likely to consider that human's emotions in their dealings.

In the case of Sally, it's clear the family treated her with human dignity, not as mere chattel, thus, the simple "owning" of her is not enough to assume that because he asked, he wouldn't have accepted her saying no.

It's also not clear that she wasn't the one doing the asking. She'd known him a long time, she was his wife's half sister, perhaps she thought him lonely after her half sister passed, perhaps she'd come to love him herself, and perhaps she deliberately chose to be enticing, and perhaps her love of him is why she preferred NOT to be fully freed and sent away (because, again, according to the laws of Virginia, if she'd been fully freed she would HAVE to leave Virginia or be re-enslaved by any white asshole she met.)

"Absolute morality" - it doesn't exist. Each person's morality is subject to his/her perspectives which depend on their upbringing and other factors.

But for me, if she said no, and that no was ignored, it was rape. If she would have preferred to say no but feared the consequences of saying no, then it was emotional rape if not physical rape (if she wouldn't say no, how would he know she didn't want to say yes, and if she wouldn't say no, how do we know he wouldn't have stopped?) But if she chose the relationship, then no matter the appeal/coercion, then it wasn't rape.

Evidence suggests she could have left the family if she'd really wanted to.

She had "free time" in Virginia which would have enabled her to flee, even if the family didn't offer her total freedom and being shipped up north where she could remain free (and we don't know they didn't offer her that.) In Europe, she had ample chances to dash away and hide from the family, if she'd wished to. She was sometimes paid for her labors as well. This does NOT sound to me like the typical southern, "she's black so she's chattel," philosophy that the family would have had to have with her in order for your version of "coercion = rape" to exist.

Does it mean I feel I have to worship Jefferson or any other "founding father" just because they were what they were as relates to our nation's history? Nope. If it looked like he probably treated her like shit, I'd be condemning.

It just doesn't look like that. Instead, it looks like she was treated as, as much a member of the family - which she was, being his wife's half-sister - as was practicable given the laws of the time.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:That's not reasonable. We have no idea what their relationship was like, do we? Where's the case for it? Even the historians who've dedicated their lives to writing about Jefferson still can't agree on this (based on the wiki link).

I'm not sure the pet analogy is appropriate. I mean, it's not appropriate, but it's also not appropriate because animals aren't at the same mental level as humans. So let's toss that out.

The mere ownership of a person, by itself, is shitty. We've made that quite clear in our history. So let's start with that, dare I say, premise - owning another human being is shitty. It may not have been considered shitty in the 18th century, but it's considered shitty now.

Once we start with that premise, the question becomes whether, as Neoteny has put it, coercion is a factor. When Bill Clinton got a BJ from Monica Lewinsky, we were concerned more with the president because he was in a position of power, as both Ms. Lewinsky's employer and as president. He was able to coerce her, whether he did coerce her or not is irrelevant.

It is worse with Mr. Jefferson. He owned her, she was not an employee. Therefore he was able to coerce her, and whether he did coerce her or not is irrelevant.

stahrgazer wrote:No, we can't make that assumption, unless we have evidence that he was prone to beating slaves in general.

It doesn't matter if he beat her or not. It matters that he owned her. That is simply the only thing that matters. If she was a free black woman, there would likely still be some element of coercion, but I could see the argument you would have in that case. It doesn't matter how fairly he treated her; it matters that she was not free to leave the premises or do what she wanted to do.

Let me put it to you another way - would you trade spots with Ms. Hemings?

The reason why the pet analogy is relevant is because ITT many people who agree with Sym assume that all pet-owners are all evil bastards who kick their pets. Obviously, that's not true for pet-owners. I don't see why it would be true of slave-owners. So, we need to focus on the individuals involved--not make broad assumptions. Then we need to understand context--and not ignore it.

Sure, owning another person is shitty--well, unless it's your own child, right? That's de facto ownership there, with some constraints, but we should recognize how weird our customs may become compared to societies 100 years in the future. Context still matters, but the Sym-Neo-TGD Trifecta have been ignoring it.

We can throw out your premise because it says nothing about the individuals involved. It just states "social process X = shitty." It doesn't follow that all slave owners would use coercion to rape their slaves. To me, that's like saying all pet owners (given their superior status) all beat up their pets and f*ck them.

Here's y'all's argument so far:

1. Slavery is shitty
2. All slave owners rape their slaves.
3. All slave owners are evil bastards who will coerce their slaves into doing anything at anytime.
4. Therefore, Jefferson raped his slave.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:The reason why the pet analogy is relevant is because ITT many people who agree with Sym assume that all pet-owners are all evil bastards who kick their pets. Obviously, that's not true for pet-owners. I don't see why it would be true of slave-owners. So, we need to focus on the individuals involved--not make broad assumptions. Then we need to understand context--and not ignore it.

Sure, owning another person is shitty--well, unless it's your own child, right? That's de facto ownership there, with some constraints, but we should recognize how weird our customs may become compared to societies 100 years in the future. Context still matters, but the Sym-Neo-TGD Trifecta have been ignoring it.

We can throw out your premise because it says nothing about the individuals involved. It just states "social process X = shitty." It doesn't follow that all slave owners would use coercion to rape their slaves. To me, that's like saying all pet owners (given their superior status) all beat up their pets and f*ck them.

Here's y'all's argument so far:

1. Slavery is shitty
2. All slave owners rape their slaves.
3. All slave owners are evil bastards who will coerce their slaves into doing anything at anytime.
4. Therefore, Jefferson raped his slave.

I'd like to point out, I've never once hit, slapped, or thrown any of my pet rocks, thank you very much please and thank you your welcome.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Symmetry on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Without the ability to freely consent, it's rape.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,