Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Yes- Sally Hemings wasn't free to consent
25%
No- I'm ok with sexual slavery
45%
Kittens
30%

Total votes : 44

Re: Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby / on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 am

Symmetry wrote:He didn't free her though.

Oh sorry, I'm a bit loopy from lack of sleep.
Reread.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 am

/ wrote:

Reread.

No problem, my question stands.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby swimmerdude99 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 am

I love how one-sided your poll is lol

High Score: 2992
Major swimmerdude99

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 am

His point is exactly that.
You can vote, she couldn't.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:I love how one-sided your poll is lol

What option would you like to see? It's tough to justify enslaving and raping a 14 year old girl.

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Well, I think that then we have to cnsider his whole attitude towards slavery.
I do have some interesting references - I'll get back when I dig em up.

Although opposed to the international slave trade, Jefferson sometimes bought slaves and often sold them.[179][180] After returning from France, he sold fifty slaves to pay the debts he had incurred there.[179][181] Ten years after the abolition of the American slave trade, Jefferson, again to pay his debts, sold slaves to his grandson.[182]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson#Slaves_and_slavery

Let's not be coy. The man was a slave trader,

yes he was. He recommended it as a way of making money. I just don't have that reference to hand as I sit here watching Gordon Ramsay on Tv, writing lines to try to shoehorn more stage time for my character in someone else's play, and drinking a beer.
Nevertheless, he wasn't JUST a slave-owning git.

Never said he was only that. I also said he was a rapist.
Last edited by Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby chang50 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 am

Surely the option to answer 'no' is allowed,even if it is impossible to justify..
Captain chang50

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby / on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 am

Symmetry wrote:
/ wrote:

Reread.

No problem, my question stands.

As I said before, yes; some of his acts in this case should be considered evil.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 am

I honestly suspect that there was love and respect mutually involved here.
Not gonna do massive research on this at this time of night. this is usually when I do my writing, which is currently how I earn my living.
But you caught my attention with a question that I'm currently interested in.
Unfortunately, unlike the creationist threads that I often post in late at night, I'm not expecting anything to leak over into my standup routine from this thread.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 am

chang50 wrote:

Surely the option to answer 'no' is allowed,even if it is impossible to justify..

there's the kitten option for people who object to the poll in general.

Postby chang50 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I honestly suspect that there was love and respect mutually involved here.
Not gonna do massive research on this at this time of night. this is usually when I do my writing, which is currently how I earn my living.
Unfortunately, unlike the creationist threads that I often post in late at night, I'm not expecting anything to leak over into my standup routine from this thread.

I am sure there was mutual love and respect from my own reading,however this is irrelevant to the OP.Children are judged incapable of giving informed consent..
Captain chang50

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

Sym makes a good point, but context still matters. Today, we have millions who support theft if the government does it in order to 'help' others. They even go to the extent of supporting the state--knowing that it murders people.

Or, consider how almost everyone today uses fiat currency, which enables governments to incur significant debt so that they can spend irresponsibly, while dumping the negative consequences on future generations. The acceptance of fiat currency also promotes government-induced inflation through increasing the money supply--which undermines the value of that currency, thus robbing those people of that value.

Perhaps in 200 years, those supporters and users of fiat currency will all be viewed as evil--from a non-contextual perspective, of course.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I honestly suspect that there was love and respect mutually involved here.

Then why didn't he free her? Even in his will? I don't see much respect in slavery.

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 am

chang50 wrote:

I am sure there was mutual love and respect from my own reading,however this is irrelevant to the OP.Children are judged incapable of giving informed consent..

Grrr, let me get on with what I'm supposed to be doing...
OK one last comment: "child" is culturally defined.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Postby xeno on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 am

I think at 14 you are able to give sexual consent especially in the 19th century
Cadet xeno

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?