Conquer Club

6 Awful Board Games According to Cracked (guess what's 2nd?)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

6 Awful Board Games According to Cracked (guess what's 2nd?)

Postby macbone on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:14 am

So, Luke McKinney over at Cracked.com posted a new article, 6 Board Games That Ruined It for Everyone.

From the piece:

Luke McKinney wrote:Risk is worse for family game night than incest. It simulates all the boredom and relentless repetition of trench warfare, but at least people really dying on the Eastern Front wished they were home with their beloved family. You are home, and now you hate the bastards.

The worst part of Risk is victory by excruciation. A well-designed game has tactics and skill building to a climax, a thrilling race to victory, and when someone has clearly won, it's because the game is over. In Risk, someone can win hours before it ends, and they will not let you just admit it and leave. They spent hours carefully planning this victory, and by God you are going to sit there and patiently lose for just as many hours so that they can enjoy it properly. They've turned having fun into a zero-sum game.

This is the same psychopath who can be in control of two-thirds of the entire world and still whinge about how unfair it is that people are ganging up on them. The one who insists that there are more tactics than "Take Australia and try not to succumb to dice-rolling repetitive strain injury."

Most of this is pretty spot on. =)

Again from the article:

What You Should Play Instead: Settlers of Catan

Sounds good to me!
Colonel macbone
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Medals: 107
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (2) Tribe Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: 6 Awful Board Games According to Cracked (guess what's 2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 am

Oh, is he one of those cranky, old farts who have yet to discover conquerclub.com? Intensity cubes ftw.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Maugena on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Settlers of Catan ftw!
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Maugena wrote:Settlers of Catan ftw!

Settlers should've been moved to number 1 and Diplomacy should've been the replacement for RISK.

Settlers is much more like Monopoly than RISK and Diplomacy is pretty much RISK minus the randomness.
mrswdk is a ho
Captain Army of GOD

Medals: 29
Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Maugena on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Army of GOD wrote:

Settlers should've been moved to number 1 and Diplomacy should've been the replacement for RISK.

Settlers is much more like Monopoly than RISK and Diplomacy is pretty much RISK minus the randomness.

Hardly.
Risk is terrible.
I'd like to go over why Risk is terrible and Settlers is great, but I really don't care to waste my time on it.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Maugena wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Hardly.
Risk is terrible.
I'd like to go over why Risk is terrible and Settlers is great, but I really don't care to waste my time on it.

What? I'm agreeing with you. I love Settlers.
mrswdk is a ho
Captain Army of GOD

Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 pm

I read that as Settlers of Satan. For a few seconds there I could not figure out how that is a more family friendly game than risk
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Maug, in every Settlers game you play is there always a shortage of brick? That seems to hold true literally every single game.
mrswdk is a ho
Captain Army of GOD

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 pm

I've had games where there is a ridiculous glut of brick and hardly any wood. Sheep seems to be universally unwanted, which is why the sheep port is so kick ass.

cool article both for showing off some interesting games I hadn't heard about and also for reinforcing my geek cred, have 3 of the good board games.

AOG you slander Diplomacy heinously.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am

Baron Von PWN wrote:I've had games where there is a ridiculous glut of brick and hardly any wood. Sheep seems to be universally unwanted, which is why the sheep port is so kick ass.

cool article both for showing off some interesting games I hadn't heard about and also for reinforcing my geek cred, have 3 of the good board games.

wtf I didn't slander Diplomacy. I love Diplomacy too. I'm saying it's a better version of world domination (or, well, European domination) than RISK.
mrswdk is a ho
Captain Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 am

Army of GOD wrote:Maug, in every Settlers game you play is there always a shortage of brick? That seems to hold true literally every single game.

Lrn2trade
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 am

Baron Von PWN wrote:I've had games where there is a ridiculous glut of brick and hardly any wood. Sheep seems to be universally unwanted, which is why the sheep port is so kick ass.

You and AoG and whoever y'all play against seem to not understand trade.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Shape on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 am

Settlers is my shit. It's always fun cockblocking my uncle cuz he thinks he's good :P

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:38 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Maug, in every Settlers game you play is there always a shortage of brick? That seems to hold true literally every single game.

Lrn2trade

no, f*ck you. I'm self-sufficient
mrswdk is a ho
Captain Army of GOD

Postby Shape on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 am

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Lrn2trade

Aww, you're cute!

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 am

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Lrn2trade

Why do you reject the creation of additional wealth?

Why not embrace your comparative advantage to live free and prosper?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Baron Von PWN on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:49 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Usualy it ends up being. "you have 8 points, therefore I refuse to trade with you" either that or through a fluke of the board there is only one decently productive source of a resource. Which of course has been hammered by the robber mercilessly.

It's not that we don't understand trade, it's that trade is not always win-win in catan, sometimes trading will result in I win you all lose.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby macbone on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am

So, when's http://www.ExplorerClub.com rolling out?

I seriously heard of Settlers of Canaan before Catan.

Click image to enlarge.

Settlers of Catan - preventing date rape, one scum bag at a time (courtesy of David Willis' Dumbing of Age).
Colonel macbone
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Medals: 107
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)
General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (2) Tribe Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Usualy it ends up being. "you have 8 points, therefore I refuse to trade with you" either that or through a fluke of the board there is only one decently productive source of a resource. Which of course has been hammered by the robber mercilessly.

It's not that we don't understand trade, it's that trade is not always win-win in catan, sometimes trading will result in I win you all lose.

Communist!

(yeah, I understand, but can a ninja get a table dance?)
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby TheSaxlad on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I tried playing settlers. I managed to put the Jigsaw... I mean board together, before I got bored with it... it took me 1/2 an hour.
Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Sergeant 1st Class TheSaxlad

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm

That's weird. It takes normal people about 5 minutes to set it up.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby notyou2 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm

I think Cracked has discovered why CC membership is down.
Captain notyou2

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:That's weird. It takes normal people about 5 minutes to set it up.

He should maybe have started with the pieces that have corners.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I loved the explanation of why Risk sucks.

"It's when you're being beaten, and the other person won't let you quit."

Was this list made in Soviet Russia?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Frigidus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 pm

There's definitely way too many sheep.
Sergeant Frigidus

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1)

Next

Return to A Place for People to Practice How to Love