Conquer Club

New Pope elected! Francis I from Argentina.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Pope elected! Francis I from Argentina.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Just announced.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby 2dimes on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Argentina, do you think the catholics are after the Falkland islands?
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm

2dimes wrote:Argentina, do you think the catholics are after the Falkland islands?

Nope. Too small scale. Going for Disneyland and Disneyworld!

But seriously, it's the first time in history a new world pope has ever been elected.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Re:

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm

2dimes wrote:Argentina, do you think the catholics are after the Falkland islands?

I don't know, I think 2dimes is onto something here.

Saxi, did you infiltrate the vote?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: New Pope elected! Francis I from Argentina.

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Let's just put this here.

Critics have accused him of ignoring the plight of victims during the countryā€™s military dictatorship from 1976-1983, despite victims and their relatives relating first-hand accounts of torture, death and kidnappings to the priests he supervised as the local provincial of the Jesuit Order.[31]
On 15 April 2005, a human rights lawyer filed a criminal complaint against Bergoglio, as superior in the Society of Jesus of Argentina, accusing him of involvement in the kidnapping by the Navy in May 1976 (during the military dictatorship) of two Jesuit priests.[32] The priests, Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics, were found alive five months later, drugged and semi-nude. Yorio accused Bergoglio of effectively handing them over to the death squads by declining to tell the regime that he endorsed their work. Jalics refused to discuss it after moving into seclusion in a German monastery.[33] Horacio Verbitsky, an Argentine investigative journalist and author, wrote a book about this and other related events titled El Silencio: de Paulo VI a Bergoglio: las relaciones secretas de la Iglesia con la ESMA.[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Bergoglio#Relations_with_the_Argentine_government
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm not happy that we have another old (for popes) pope. There were dudes in their 60s and we took a guy who is 77.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Let's appoint an antipope!!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby crispybits on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Major crispybits

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:39 pm

crispybits wrote:

Nailed it. ;)

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

who gives a shit? he's probably going to say some anti-muslim things then some anti-sex things and nobody is going to care.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby crispybits on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

He's already (before his election) made some fairly extreme statements about homosexuality:

"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle. Marriage equality is a destructive pretention against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 36,00.html
Major crispybits

Postby AAFitz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Wont you pray for me Argentinian....
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 am

I wonder if he's going to call for a crusade.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:23 am

I think he'll only be called "Francis the first" when there's a Pope "Francis the second", until then he's just plain "Francis".
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby crispybits on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 am

Major crispybits

Postby crispybits on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 am

And a little humour from the Daily Mash:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/inte ... 3031462640
Major crispybits

Postby chang50 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 am

crispybits wrote:And a little humour from the Daily Mash:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/inte ... 3031462640

Hilarious and sad because it touches a raw nerve in Catholicism's recent shameful past.I don't know which is worse the widespread paedophilia and cover ups of the guilty or the complicity with Fascism.
Captain chang50

Postby crispybits on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 am

It's not just complicity, by definition the religion is fascist itself. It's hardly a surprise that it finds like-minded types to share afternoon coffee and cake with.
Major crispybits

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 am

The fact that he is calling himself "Francis" gives one hope.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:The fact that he is calling himself "Francis" gives one hope.

I'm not hopeful. Of the various papal candidates, I think he was the worst choice (or second worst choice). I'm not saying we needed to have an African pope for the first time in 1,500 years. I'm saying we needed to have a more liberal pope (at least a little bit). I thought they would go back to that after Benedict, but apparently not.

crispybits wrote:It's not just complicity, by definition the religion is fascist itself. It's hardly a surprise that it finds like-minded types to share afternoon coffee and cake with.

History shmistory...

chang50 wrote: don't know which is worse the widespread paedophilia and cover ups

This is worse.

chang50 wrote:the complicity with Fascism.

Because this is non-existent. History shmistory...

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 am

thegreekdog wrote:

I'm not hopeful. Of the various papal candidates, I think he was the worst choice (or second worst choice). I'm not saying we needed to have an African pope for the first time in 1,500 years. I'm saying we needed to have a more liberal pope (at least a little bit). I thought they would go back to that after Benedict, but apparently not.

I have hope, but I think that expecting the church to go immediately more liberal would be doing too much, too soon.
What gives me hope is that if he truly does take the church back to real fundamentals of caring about one's brother and poverty, it will begin to set the stage where those other issues can be considered.

Ultimately, liberalism is really just about putting your care for other people above structure or rules, looking for real answers from almost any source (not talking political liberalism which as we have discussed is often just left wing dictating). That is actually the very change Christ brought to the Jewish faith. You see that point over and over in Christ's teachings, whether it is healing on the sabbath or saying that Mary Magdelene was right to listen to his words instead of just helping with the dishes.

The vow to poverty is getting a lot of attention. It can be a very meaningful stance, or it can be a kind of arrogance, even competition. Sort of "praying on the street corner" instead of in private.

What I find interesting is things like his chastising priests who refused to baptise children of single mothers, and the way in which he apparently chastized them... as I understand it that they were putting rules and their own perceived [false] piety above people and serving God truly.

Anyway, time will tell.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 am

crispybits wrote:It's not just complicity, by definition the religion is fascist itself. It's hardly a surprise that it finds like-minded types to share afternoon coffee and cake with.

No more than your idea that anyone with faith is obviously not thinking straight.

No single idea is fascism, fascism is about not allowing opposition. Most modern Christians are no less willing to let others be than atheists.

The article was humerous, and largely because it did have just enough truth in it to be painful.. but expanded. Trying to paint is as anything else is beneath you crispy.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:43 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

I have hope, but I think that expecting the church to go immediately more liberal would be doing too much, too soon.
What gives me hope is that if he truly does take the church back to real fundamentals of caring about one's brother and poverty, it will begin to set the stage where those other issues can be considered.

Ultimately, liberalism is really just about putting your care for other people above structure or rules, looking for real answers from almost any source (not talking political liberalism which as we have discussed is often just left wing dictating). That is actually the very change Christ brought to the Jewish faith. You see that point over and over in Christ's teachings, whether it is healing on the sabbath or saying that Mary Magdelene was right to listen to his words instead of just helping with the dishes.

The vow to poverty is getting a lot of attention. It can be a very meaningful stance, or it can be a kind of arrogance, even competition. Sort of "praying on the street corner" instead of in private.

What I find interesting is things like his chastising priests who refused to baptise children of single mothers, and the way in which he apparently chastized them... as I understand it that they were putting rules and their own perceived [false] piety above people and serving God truly.

Anyway, time will tell.

I've never thought the Catholic Church got away from helping the poor. I think the layperson view is that more time is spent on social issues such as homosexuality and abortion, but I think that is a public perception more than reality. I would like for less time to be spent on those types of issues if only so that the public perception changes a little. I don't expect the church to say "gay marriage is okay" and I don't want them to say "abortion is okay." I also want the church to address, correctly, the pedophilia issues. I don't know what the new pope's stance on the latter issue is.

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:

No more than your idea that anyone with faith is obviously not thinking straight.

No single idea is fascism, fascism is about not allowing opposition. Most modern Christians are no less willing to let others be than atheists.

The article was humerous, and largely because it did have just enough truth in it to be painful.. but expanded. Trying to paint is as anything else is beneath you crispy.

The problem with crispy and chang is that they are ignoring history. They are using the support of some Catholics and some priests and some bishops in Nazi Germany for the Nazis to paint the Catholic Church, in its entirety, as supportive of Nazi Germany. That simply isn't true. They are going to point to Pope John Paul's apology as evidence that the Catholic Church acknowledged its support of Nazi Germany. But that wasn't what John Paul apologized for - he apologized for anti-Semitism promoted by the Catholic Church across history (i.e. from the founding of the Church forward).

Basically, there were some portion of priests and bishops (and Catholics) in Nazi Germany who supported the Nazis. There were a lot of other priests, bishops and Catholics who did not support Nazi Germany. Some or all of those people either escaped or were killed by Nazi Germany. The Nazis killed Catholics, because of their religion, in Poland. Catholics from all over the world, including priests, fought in armies against Nazi Germany.

In any event, this is a fun way for atheists to try to denigrate the Catholic Church. There are much better ways to do so that have some basis in fact.

Postby AAFitz on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 am

on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMtvnAmfuf8
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,