Christianity, Atheism, and Original Sin

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What say you?

+1 Atheism
32%
+1 Theism
36%
lol i dunno cuz I'm a kitten
No votes
lol i dunno cuz I'm a agnostic
14%
Bollocks on top of bollocks on top of bollocks
18%

Total votes : 22

Re: Christianity, Atheism, and Original Sin

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 pm

stahrgazer wrote:Just because the benefit or detriment is in the eye of the beholder, doesn't change that there is a benefit and there is a detriment.

Your argument against mine is that you personally can't figure out whether it's "good" or "evil."

Just because you're not omnicient enough to figure it out, doesn't mean that good and evil doesn't exist.

And just because my definition is simplistic doesn't make it wrong.

Correct, but in each case the converse is also true. Because anyone cannot figure out good or evil doesn't mean its not there... but it also does not mean it IS.
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm

crispybits wrote:OK stahrgazer, lets assume you're right for a moment and that good and evil are real things, what, in your opinion, are they?

What I mean by that is that we know light is a particle/waveform. I'm not suggesting you have to point out a particle of good/evil or a good/evil wave or whatever, but if you insist that these are real things independent of human conception, then what are they? I can describe how my model of good/evil works, that as human constructions they are reflections of societal or cultural abstracts of things that are good or bad for society or individuals or both. I'm completely lost on how this external and existent thing you're describing actually works.

Forms of energy, aka, forms of particle/waveforms.

If someone is "good" enough, you can feel it; if someone is "evil" enough, you can feel that, too.

If you've never felt either one, that's a shame.
Captain stahrgazer

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (7)

Postby crispybits on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 am

OK, so we'll run with that. (I'm not convinced, but in the interest of keeping an open mind and all that)

If good and evil are particles/waveforms, then we should theoretically be able to detect some physcal effects from them right? So how would we go about designing an experiment, under scientific conditions, to attempt to do that? Do we actually have good and evil people and try and measure everything we can about them? Do we try and isolate good and evil actions and measure everything we can about them?

None of these questions disprove your hypothesis, but for anyone else to accept that hypothesis as proven reality, there needs to be some way in which to demonstrate it. You claim that it's a form of energy, fair enough, but how does that energy react with all of the other forms of energy and matter, how does it change or influence or cause or get caused by other forms of energy or matter? Why does it seem to mostly be limited to human actions and interactions? We sense no evil when a leopard eats a gazelle, that's just the way of the world, but if a human ate a human..... Do we have some special sort of biology for this?
Major crispybits

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7)

Previous

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?