College question

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

College question

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

So my question is this:
What if someone isn't that academic, and their grades aren't that great - what colleges are possible/plausible/preferable?
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: College question

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 am

jonesthecurl wrote:So my question is this:
What if someone isn't that academic, and their grades aren't that great - what colleges are possible/plausible/preferable?

More specifics would be helpful, but generally, you might look into trade schools. They run the gamut, from nursing to cooking to photography to trucking to construction, (even diving), etc. Really any "trade".

Another option might be "community colleges". However, I don't know what is available in your state. I know that you can, or at least used to be able to enroll in a lot of programs in CA that basically led to various trades. They operated as either intitial, "get your feet wet" programs for kids heading to the "big U" eventually or as "stand alone" trades programs... I remember seeing diving certifications, fire fighting, journeyman trade programs, even things like basic accounting or architecture. Its really too long a list to give.

EDIT--
Just did a quick search. Here is a link about the schools:
http://home.cccapply.org/colleges/requirements (wikki also has some information)

http://californiacommunitycolleges.cccc ... dents.aspx In many cases, the cost of out of state tuition is lower than in-state tuition out east here. Some even have dorms.

One thing, the quality of these schools varies HIGHLY. if you are seriously considering, ask someone who lives in CA or who has close contacts there. (I am familiar with some, can advise a bit, but its been a while since I was out there).
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 am

Phoenix Online
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 am

Are they interested in going to college or are you pushing them that way? What do they want to do? My kids will be going to community college first to cut down tuition, and give them a chance to take classes they want to take at reduced tuition until they know what they want to learn about. Tech schools are a great option too if they want to work doing something that doesn't require a degree.

One of my sisters had so-so grades and was burnt out after high school. Instead of wasting time/money at college, she got a job at KMart. After a year she was motivated to go to college. Now she's a controller for a public company, making enough money to let her husband stay home.
Captain Ace Rimmer

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I know some people who went to a Community College for 2 years, and then transferred to a University for the remaining 2 years of undergrad.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby oVo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Look into Colleges with Open Admission Policies, which means
that once they have accommodated all the applicants who meet
their academic standards, everyone else will be considered.
Louisiana state colleges have open admissions and I'm sure
there are others out there also.

This basically gives underachieving students a "second chance" at college
and once accepted, all that is required is making the grades to continue.

Otherwise a Community College or uncredited university class audits are
an option to develop academic support to apply to a preferred program.
Colonel oVo

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Click my signature.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby Swifte on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Major Swifte
Chatter
Chatter

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (31) Clan Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (7)

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I know some people who went to a Community College for 2 years, and then transferred to a University for the remaining 2 years of undergrad.

--Andy

I did that. Well I went to a 4 year college, 2 year college, 4 year college, 2 year college (AS), ~8 year break, 4 year college (BS)
Captain Ace Rimmer

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby KoolBak on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I've heard that a good career choice for people like that is Stand Up Comedian :shock:

Just kiddin brother :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca
Sergeant KoolBak

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Well, it's true enough that I went straight from Grammar to a job myself. I'm not worried if he decides against college, just looking at options.
On the other hand, the youngsters who did the comedy course with me don't seem to have got very far yet in the comedy world... and it's not frankly something you should do if you want to earn lots of money.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be following up all the options except the cc one.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 pm

What is considered "Not that great"?
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 190
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (3)

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

that was being nice. He's bright, and can get an "A" just about anytime he wants, but usually doesn't bother and ends up with C or less in most subjects most of the time. He inherits a lazy streak from me - though I've learnt over the years to give myself a kick up the bum. He hasn't got the hang of that yet.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Postby Lootifer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 pm

If he is academic tell him to pull his finger out, if he is not just dont go to college/university, get a trade. Far more worthwhile and valuable to the world. The world called and said we're full of arts degrees and half arsed finance majors.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ray Rider on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 am

Lots of good advice here which I wish I had heard in high school--take a program from a tech school or college, specifically a program which has the option of transferring to university. If he doesn't like academics and doesn't put in the effort required, at least he's only spent two years and has a diploma to show for it. If he ends up loving the academics, he can continue on for two more years in a university to get a degree along with his diploma, giving him an edge over the other university grads who have all the theoretical knowledge but without the practical skills & diploma he will have gained in college/tech school.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?