The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby oVo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 pm

A decade has passed since the pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
Millions of lives and trillions of dollars spent to end the reign
of one "evil" dictator and his regime. Was it worth it?
Tomas Young wrote: On every level—moral, strategic, military and economic—Iraq was a failure.
And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war.

A veteran's letter to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.
User avatar
Colonel oVo
 
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby chang50 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:36 am

oVo wrote:A decade has passed since the pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
Millions of lives and trillions of dollars spent to end the reign
of one "evil" dictator and his regime. Was it worth it?
Tomas Young wrote: On every level—moral, strategic, military and economic—Iraq was a failure.
And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war.

A veteran's letter to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.


As lies go this was a whoppa..I clearly remember arguing this at the time although my anger was directed more at Blair.I fully believe this cabal of criminals knew there were no WMD and had determined to remove Saddam regardless whilst milking the popular support they got for appearing to avenge 9/11.It was truly shameful..
User avatar
Captain chang50
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby oVo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 am

Since Iraq was not a part of the 9/11 attack that would be an ill aimed rebuttal and I suppose the failed assassination attempt on George W. Bush's father when he was President or the actual invasion of Kuwait were probably more likely reasons. If you ignore the economic cash cow of oil or private contractors participation in a war.
the brief version:
The Iraq WMD scare originates with the Bush administration leaking bogus intel to the UK, who share it with the Americans who sound the alarm, even though the White House knows for a fact it is bogus. The White House sends General Colin Powell to the United Nations to present these "facts" of the Iraq theat as a justification for a military solution to the problem. Valerie Plame Wilson was exposed by an administration leak as a CIA operative after she questioned the legitimacy of Bush's intel and rational for invading Iraq.

Colin Powell resigns after discovering the Bush administration sent him to the United Nations to present a fabricated lie to gain support and justify the military intervention and pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
Last edited by oVo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Colonel oVo
 
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 pm

chang50 wrote:
oVo wrote:A decade has passed since the pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
Millions of lives and trillions of dollars spent to end the reign
of one "evil" dictator and his regime. Was it worth it?
Tomas Young wrote: On every level—moral, strategic, military and economic—Iraq was a failure.
And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war.

A veteran's letter to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.


As lies go this was a whoppa..I clearly remember arguing this at the time although my anger was directed more at Blair.I fully believe this cabal of criminals knew there were no WMD and had determined to remove Saddam regardless whilst milking the popular support they got for appearing to avenge 9/11.It was truly shameful..

Agreed.
Sergeant PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby thegreekdog on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm

oVo wrote:Since Iraq was not a part of the 9/11 attack that would be an ill aimed rebuttal and I suppose the failed assassination attempt on George W. Bush's father when he was President or the actual invasion of Kuwait were probably more likely reasons. If you ignore the economic cash cow of oil or private contractors participation in a war.
the brief version:
The Iraq WMD scare originates with the Bush administration leaking bogus intel to the UK, who share it with the Americans who sound the alarm, even though the White House knows for a fact it is bogus. The White House sends General Colin Powell to the United Nations to present these "facts" of the Iraq theat as a justification for a military solution to the problem. Valerie Plame Wilson was exposed by an administration leak as a CIA operative after she questioned the legitimacy of Bush's intel and rational for invading Iraq.

Colin Powell resigns after discovering the Bush administration sent him to the United Nations to present a fabricated lie to gain support and justify the military intervention and pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.


I have no idea whether WMD stuff was true or not; a friend from law school served and said he saw the WMDs there, but he could be lying (he's a staunch Republican and Bush supporter). In any event, I used to think it was access to oil. Now I think it was just corporate cronyism.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby oVo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 am

I too lean towards the idea of corporate cronyism. It's a human tragedy
that was probably avoidable and I suspect history won't be kind to the
those who initiated and profited from this fiasco.
User avatar
Colonel oVo
 
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby majorheadache876 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am

thegreekdog wrote:
oVo wrote:Since Iraq was not a part of the 9/11 attack that would be an ill aimed rebuttal and I suppose the failed assassination attempt on George W. Bush's father when he was President or the actual invasion of Kuwait were probably more likely reasons. If you ignore the economic cash cow of oil or private contractors participation in a war.
the brief version:
The Iraq WMD scare originates with the Bush administration leaking bogus intel to the UK, who share it with the Americans who sound the alarm, even though the White House knows for a fact it is bogus. The White House sends General Colin Powell to the United Nations to present these "facts" of the Iraq theat as a justification for a military solution to the problem. Valerie Plame Wilson was exposed by an administration leak as a CIA operative after she questioned the legitimacy of Bush's intel and rational for invading Iraq.

Colin Powell resigns after discovering the Bush administration sent him to the United Nations to present a fabricated lie to gain support and justify the military intervention and pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.


I have no idea whether WMD stuff was true or not; a friend from law school served and said he saw the WMDs there, but he could be lying (he's a staunch Republican and Bush supporter). In any event, I used to think it was access to oil. Now I think it was just corporate cronyism.


hint hint the WMD was a lie. My few times viewing your replies and you giving information told me you are a smart person that not only uses his intellect, wisdom, discernment and gut check, yet with your answer here. I have to take it all back.

You sir, are clueless!!!!!! WOW no wonder I don't get my gut checks from this place. its insane
User avatar
Corporal majorheadache876
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby chang50 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 am

oVo wrote:I too lean towards the idea of corporate cronyism. It's a human tragedy
that was probably avoidable and I suspect history won't be kind to the
those who initiated and profited from this fiasco.


History will only damage the reputations of these criminals,there is zero chance of them being held accountable in their lifetimes and actually doing time..
User avatar
Captain chang50
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby Night Strike on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 am

If it was such a lie, where did Syria get all their chemical weapons that we're currently worried about being used in their civil war?
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8625
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby chang50 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:42 am

Night Strike wrote:If it was such a lie, where did Syria get all their chemical weapons that we're currently worried about being used in their civil war?


I would be very wary of believing any reports they originated in Iraq,but if you believe it to be true would you support an invasion of Syria,after all one dictator with WMD is as bad as another?Then why stop there?
User avatar
Captain chang50
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby Ray Rider on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:54 am

majorheadache876 wrote:hint hint the WMD was a lie. My few times viewing your replies and you giving information told me you are a smart person that not only uses his intellect, wisdom, discernment and gut check, yet with your answer here. I have to take it all back.

You sir, are clueless!!!!!! WOW no wonder I don't get my gut checks from this place. its insane

Your blatant ad hominem attack does nothing to decrease his credibility; only your own.

Night Strike wrote:If it was such a lie, where did Syria get all their chemical weapons that we're currently worried about being used in their civil war?

I have personally spoken with one of Saddam Hussain's former air vice-marshals, General Georges Sada, and according to him (he also wrote this in his book and mentioned it in interviews on tv), Iraq had WMDs but flew them out in unmarked airplanes to Syria prior to the invasion of Iraq. In addition I have read his book and according to him, there are numerous positive changes which have occurred in Iraq thanks to the invasion. I would be more inclined to believe that personal account of a first-hand, reputable witness than that of the MSM which adjusts its coverage (or its slant on stories) according to what sounds most shocking; or for that matter over some government report saying there were no WMDs, when we have no more assurance that this new report is any more reliable than the previous reports which are now said to be false.

Now that doesn't in itself justify the invasion; is it just for us in the West to invade and depose every oppressive dictator around the world? I would also question the legitimacy of our recent intervention in Libya. Does it even make any sense from an economical standpoint? I think it was a terrible blunder for the US from a PR, financial, and strategic (aside from the initial invasion) standpoint. However, that being said, I am glad that there is one less crazy ruthless dictator in the world and that the Iraqi people are now free to choose their own leadership and destiny...whether that turns out for good or bad, only time will tell.
Image
Image
Highest score: 2221
User avatar
Major Ray Rider
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: In front of my computer, duh!
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby chang50 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:13 am

Ray Rider wrote:
majorheadache876 wrote:hint hint the WMD was a lie. My few times viewing your replies and you giving information told me you are a smart person that not only uses his intellect, wisdom, discernment and gut check, yet with your answer here. I have to take it all back.

You sir, are clueless!!!!!! WOW no wonder I don't get my gut checks from this place. its insane

Your blatant ad hominem attack does nothing to decrease his credibility; only your own.

Night Strike wrote:If it was such a lie, where did Syria get all their chemical weapons that we're currently worried about being used in their civil war?

I have personally spoken with one of Saddam Hussain's former air vice-marshals, General Georges Sada, and according to him (he also wrote this in his book and mentioned it in interviews on tv), Iraq had WMDs but flew them out in unmarked airplanes to Syria prior to the invasion of Iraq. In addition I have read his book and according to him, there are numerous positive changes which have occurred in Iraq thanks to the invasion. I would be more inclined to believe that personal account of a first-hand, reputable witness than that of the MSM which adjusts its coverage (or its slant on stories) according to what sounds most shocking; or for that matter over some government report saying there were no WMDs, when we have no more assurance that this new report is any more reliable than the previous reports which are now said to be false.

Now that doesn't in itself justify the invasion; is it just for us in the West to invade and depose every oppressive dictator around the world? I would also question the legitimacy of our recent intervention in Libya. Does it even make any sense from an economical standpoint? I think it was a terrible blunder for the US from a PR, financial, and strategic (aside from the initial invasion) standpoint. However, that being said, I am glad that there is one less crazy ruthless dictator in the world and that the Iraqi people are now free to choose their own leadership and destiny...whether that turns out for good or bad, only time will tell.


Just curious if Sada is correct why didn't Saddam use WMD against the invasion,he was certainly ruthless enough?
User avatar
Captain chang50
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby warmonger1981 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 am

Didnt the US give Iraq the weapons when Iraq was at war with Iran?
User avatar
Lieutenant warmonger1981
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: ST.PAUL
Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 am

Yes we gave them the biological weapons by selling cocaine to our own people so that we could circumvent prohibitions against selling them the weapons. We of course sold weapons to the Iranians the same way, and the Columbians. The former head of the CIA was directly implicated, but managed to squirm out of it as his father managed to squirm out of charges of participating in an attempted fascist overthrow of the US government. We then elected the son/grandson to two terms and followed him into Iraq.
User avatar
Corporal _sabotage_
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:21 am
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: The Big Lie, Ten Years After...

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 am

oVo wrote:A decade has passed since the pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
Millions of lives and trillions of dollars spent to end the reign
of one "evil" dictator and his regime. Was it worth it?

It was worth it -- to the Bush family, and their friends and sycophants. The primary purpose of the Iraq war was to create public panic about the world supply of oil in order, so that the Bushes and their cronies could sell their oil futures at a profit. It achieved that mission with spectacular success. The secondary purpose was to create additional profits at Slumburger and Halitosis and other companies where Bushes and their cronies have shares or directorships. It achieved that mission successfully, also.

Oh, did it destabilize an entire nation and guarantee decades of civil strife to come? Put another nail in the coffin of the idea of self-determination? Kill a few hundred thousand people and crippled a few hundred thousand more? Contribute to the fiscal disintegration of the U.S. and reduce the standard of living of all U.S. taxpayers? What makes you think the Bushes care about any of that? They accomplished what they set out to do. If you weren't smart enough to buy Halitosis shares, I guess you're S.O.L.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite
 
Posts: 9536
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 126
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pancakemix, Qwert and 6 guests

Login