Conquer Club

Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

Postby Symmetry on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

waauw wrote: He builds winto his stories.

How so? As a fan of the genre, the lack of "win" is interesting. The characters have already lost.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Symmetry wrote:
waauw wrote: He builds winto his stories.

How so? As a fan of the genre, the lack of "win" is interesting. The characters have already lost.

well apparently something went wrong with my mouse/touchpad there :oops:
Lieutenant waauw

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm not reading it. I've boycotted GRRM. There are plenty of other "dark fantasy" books out there that are as good or better than Song of Ice and Fire. I understand his frustration and anger with people concerned about him dying such that he can't finish the books; but that doesn't mean I have to keep purchasing his product. The way I've dealt with his snail's pace writing is to boycott him (the man tours the world like no one I've ever seen).

True, but annoyingly the writers I picked up to replace him are writing at a snail's pace too. Joe Abercombie is perhaps the only current fantasy writer I like. He builds disappointment into his stories.

I love Abercrombie. There are completed series as well - The Black Company... some books by Steven Erikson... as two examples.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm not reading it. I've boycotted GRRM. There are plenty of other "dark fantasy" books out there that are as good or better than Song of Ice and Fire. I understand his frustration and anger with people concerned about him dying such that he can't finish the books; but that doesn't mean I have to keep purchasing his product. The way I've dealt with his snail's pace writing is to boycott him (the man tours the world like no one I've ever seen).

True, but annoyingly the writers I picked up to replace him are writing at a snail's pace too. Joe Abercombie is perhaps the only current fantasy writer I like. He builds disappointment into his stories.

I love Abercrombie. There are completed series as well - The Black Company... some books by Steven Erikson... as two examples.

Have you read Borges, or Calvino? If you have, some recommendations would be welcome.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:25 am

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Have you read Borges, or Calvino? If you have, some recommendations would be welcome.

I have not. Spanish and Italian writers, it looks like. I'll check them out.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 pm

I can't wait for this show to come back. I got the first four seasons on dvd for Christmas, and ended up watching it all before the 4th of January or so. I'm super fucking excited, guys!
Major tkr4lf

Postby DaGip on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 pm

tkr4lf wrote:I can't wait for this show to come back. I got the first four seasons on dvd for Christmas, and ended up watching it all before the 4th of January or so. I'm super fucking excited, guys!

Crack isn't as good as G0T!
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:04 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I have not. Spanish and Italian writers, it looks like. I'll check them out.

For free online:

http://hyperdiscordia.crywalt.com/library_of_babel.html

He's Argentinian, though, not Spanish.

For Calvino, I'd recommend "if on a winter's night a traveller".
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby GoranZ on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:50 pm

And season 5 is out... first 4 episodes :)
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby strike wolf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 am

Have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by tonight's episode. They even left out the part of Cersei's premonition where the Maegi...I mean Maggy tells her how she'll die.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:38 am

why the hell have they released 4 episodes? I've watched the first 2. I heard people saying that the 4th is the best one ever.
It's a bit special... while we usually comment whatever has been aired already in here...I guess for the time being we should only comment on the first episode to let others catch up! ;)
I'm liking it so far. Not like there's been any revelation for me, I kind of had glimpses of all what happened.
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 am

WTF, the series doesn't correspond with the books at all anymore!
Lieutenant waauw

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 am

Where are the first 4 episodes? Were they leaked or officially released or what? I know I've only seen the first one of the new season. I was happy with it. The first few episodes of each season are always the slowest and least exciting, what with all the explanation and introduction of new characters and whatnot they have to get through to set up the main events of the season.

strike wolf wrote:Have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by tonight's episode. They even left out the part of Cersei's premonition where the Maegi...I mean Maggy tells her how she'll die.

I have a feeling that flashback isn't over, and they will play the rest of it at a later date so that the viewers that don't know about that get to see why Cersei is so against Tyrion.

waauw wrote:WTF, the series doesn't correspond with the books at all anymore!

That's the way it's going to be from here on out. I read something online about how the book readers probably wont be too happy with this season because a lot of people are going to be dying this season, including lots of people that didn't die in the books. And with them running out of source material (next season, which is likely already into casting/filming/all that jazz, most likely won't have a book to correspond to), of course the show is going to be much different from the books from that point on. From my understanding HBO knows how the series will end and the major plot points, but it's up to them to insert all the little stuff and in how exactly to get to all the major plot points, so the final two books and the final two (or however many they stretch it to) seasons will be pretty different, to the point that it's a different story entirely. But hey, I'm okay with that, since it means no more having to worry about the book readers spoiling things for me!
Major tkr4lf

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:19 am

tkr4lf wrote:Where are the first 4 episodes? Were they leaked or officially released or what? I know I've only seen the first one of the new season. I was happy with it. The first few episodes of each season are always the slowest and least exciting, what with all the explanation and introduction of new characters and whatnot they have to get through to set up the main events of the season.

Nah it was leaked. You can download them on torrent sites.
The changes are big, but I have to admit, I like some of the changes better than the plot of the books. Seems like the show wants something with a faster pace than GRRM's book 5.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 am

I haven't read the books but I hope the series goes away from them.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:17 am

holy shit petyr baelish is the shit.

and episode 4 was not that good I don't get why someone would say that episode 4 was the best ever... ayways...... given the leaking i don't even know what is fine to discuss about in here... don't want to spoil the ones who will watch it on tv...
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:29 pm

betiko wrote:holy shit petyr baelish is the shit.

and episode 4 was not that good I don't get why someone would say that episode 4 was the best ever... ayways...... given the leaking i don't even know what is fine to discuss about in here... don't want to spoil the ones who will watch it on tv...

you can discuss anything you want, the title itself says "series spoiling only!"
show
Lieutenant waauw

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Yeah, just put it in spoilers please. I don't care if you guys discuss them, but I probably won't watch the leaked episodes. I'd rather have my Sunday night GoT viewing, it's like a tradition or somethin'.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

If you watch a leaked episode you're a douche.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Army of GOD wrote:I haven't read the books but I hope the series goes away from them.

It is, but for all you non book readers, I have this prediction for you. This season is going to end on the biggest cliffhanger you could imagine, it'll be great to see all your reactions. I can hardly wait.
Private patches70

Postby strike wolf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Book spoiler

show
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen at the end of this season and the non book readers are going to be- "WTF?!?!?!?! Hahahahaha!
Private patches70

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm

And if Martin doesn't get his shit together, the show is going to start spoiling it for the book readers. Even if the show veer's off course from the books they are both going to end in relatively the same destination and at the pace the books are going now, everyone watching the show is going to know pretty much how the books end.
Private patches70

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 pm

And what's with Mance everyone? WFT is wrong with him? The deal Stannis gave him is way better than he and the wildlings were ever going to get on their own. Even if Stannis never had shown up and the Wildlings rolled over the Night's Watch and poured into the North, in no time at all the other kingdoms would send an army to ten up there and just wipe them out.

If the Mance would have just said "Sure!" to Stannis then the Wildlings would have a better chance at actually getting land South of the Wall and living out their lives. No matter what they are going to be fighting one way or another, at least with Stannis' offer they get a chance of actually having an end to the fighting. If they try and take the north the rest of Westeros would eventually wipe them out. The Wildlings would end up fighting until there was no one left because they'd all end up dead.

Mance is a dumbass, what do the rest of you think about him taking to the Pyre instead of actually earning a place South of the Wall?
Private patches70

Postby denominator on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Yeah, I think it's fair to discuss episodes that have been officially released outside of spoiler tabs. We should keep discussion of leaked episodes, or book content, within spoiler tabs.

From what I understand, they have greatly simplified the plot of the story from the red wedding onwards. Book readers will know certain plot points that were left out in season 4, and already I can see there are very significant plot points that are going to be missing from season 5. I am fine with that - you're taking 1000+ page books and trying to condense it down to +/-10 hours of TV per season. You have to meld characters, drop subplots, and simplify the whole story. Plus, certain storylines are already as far in the show as they are in the books, so they either don't know what is going to happen in the books or are willing to spoil it for book readers. I actually contemplated not watching season 5 of the series until after the next book(s) was released, but rumours of the changes convinced me to watch it this year.

In terms of the episode, it was exactly what I expected. An hour of little details setting up the rest of the season, with a death at the end of the episode. Nothing too exciting but hints of what was to come (I was actually expecting an Arya scene to end the episode).

patches70 wrote:And what's with Mance everyone? WFT is wrong with him? The deal Stannis gave him is way better than he and the wildlings were ever going to get on their own. Even if Stannis never had shown up and the Wildlings rolled over the Night's Watch and poured into the North, in no time at all the other kingdoms would send an army to ten up there and just wipe them out.

If the Mance would have just said "Sure!" to Stannis then the Wildlings would have a better chance at actually getting land South of the Wall and living out their lives. No matter what they are going to be fighting one way or another, at least with Stannis' offer they get a chance of actually having an end to the fighting. If they try and take the north the rest of Westeros would eventually wipe them out. The Wildlings would end up fighting until there was no one left because they'd all end up dead.

Mance is a dumbass, what do the rest of you think about him taking to the Pyre instead of actually earning a place South of the Wall?

I agree that Mance made the wrong choice, and most people would have taken Stannis' deal. But everything Mance said and did fit perfectly with who Mance is.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,