Conquer Club

Star Trek Vs Star Wars

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Re:

Postby Symmetry on Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 am

maxfaraday wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
universalchiro wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I like 3/7 of the Star Wars movies. Almost everything else associated with it has been terrible, apart from the Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky did.

The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3. Does Star Trek?

What in Star Wars Episodes 3 & 7 that stood out for you to select them as best?

I meant 3 out of the 7 main movies. Episodes IV, V, and VI.

Wait, what 7th movie? the one they announced? You have yet to see it but you already know you don't like it? (well, Disney, yeah I can understand why you wouldn't like it even before it has aired but still...)

The animated one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(film)

Don't bother with it if you haven't seen it. It's terrible.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Star Trek Vs Star Wars

Postby ooge on Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 pm

what are the thoughts on the last Star Trek series,Enterprise.I thought it was the best one yet.
Captain ooge

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

ooge wrote:what are the thoughts on the last Star Trek series,Enterprise.I thought it was the best one yet.

I can't speak for him, but here are my thoughts:

1. I liked the general feel of the series early-on.

2. The Quantum Leap dude was a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE actor choice as the Captain. Just awful. I thought he didn't do the character justice, and I didn't really think it was the writing the hurt him. I liked the other characters a great deal though.

3. The Temporal Wars thing got pretty stupid.

4. Once the series became Xindi-centric, I thought it went to crap completely. Way too dark for my tastes (this is the same reason I didn't care for Deep Space 9).

So overall, I didn't care for it. But it had potential.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby ooge on Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Woodruff wrote:
ooge wrote:what are the thoughts on the last Star Trek series,Enterprise.I thought it was the best one yet.

2. The Quantum Leap dude was a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE actor choice as the Captain. Just awful. I thought he didn't do the character justice, and I didn't really think it was the writing the hurt him. I liked the other characters a great deal though.

4. Once the series became Xindi-centric, I thought it went to crap completely. Way too dark for my tastes (this is the same reason I didn't care for Deep Space 9).

Well I liked Scott Bacula,and knowing Star Trek's very long history to see them try and explain how things came about was interesting to me.
Captain ooge

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm

ooge wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Well I liked Scott Bacula

I've liked him in other roles (for instance Quantum Leap). He just doesn't carry a "Captain's Presence" for me. Seems way too...wimpy.

ooge wrote:and knowing Star Trek's very long history to see them try and explain how things came about was interesting to me.

I did like that also.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby ooge on Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Woodruff wrote:
ooge wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Well I liked Scott Bacula

I've liked him in other roles (for instance Quantum Leap). He just doesn't carry a "Captain's Presence" for me. Seems way too...wimpy.

ooge wrote:and knowing Star Trek's very long history to see them try and explain how things came about was interesting to me.

I did like that also.

He is just a sensitive kinda guy :lol: quantum leap loved the ending,
Captain ooge

Postby tzor on Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 pm

universalchiro wrote:The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3. Does Star Trek?

Are you asking if the animated Star Trek series actually filled in a lot of details missed in the original series? (Anyone remember the inflatable Enterprise?)
Cadet tzor

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 am

tzor wrote:
universalchiro wrote:The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3. Does Star Trek?

Are you asking if the animated Star Trek series actually filled in a lot of details missed in the original series? (Anyone remember the inflatable Enterprise?)

Oh God, the animated Star Trek series. I don't remember the inflatable Enterprise, but I do remember it being pretty bad, even as a kid. The only good part of it was that one of the story-writers for one of the episodes lived in our apartment complex later on in life, so that was sort of neat.

Re: Re:

Postby Phatscotty on Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 am

universalchiro wrote:
The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3.
[/quote][/quote]

YUP! Did you find the lightsaber duels to be better than the movies?
Major Phatscotty

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

Woodruff wrote:
tzor wrote:

Oh God, the animated Star Trek series. I don't remember the inflatable Enterprise, but I do remember it being pretty bad, even as a kid. The only good part of it was that one of the story-writers for one of the episodes lived in our apartment complex later on in life, so that was sort of neat.

Woodruff (and others), do you listen to the Mission Log Podcast (or main website)? They plan to work their way through the entire Star Trek series, all 726 episodes. They are midway through the second season of TOS right now I think. They also get to dig through the Roddenberry Archives, and get to post interesting script notes and documents on their Facebook page.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

"interesting"? Who are you, Bjo Trimble?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
tzor wrote:

Woodruff (and others), do you listen to the Mission Log Podcast (or main website)? They plan to work their way through the entire Star Trek series, all 726 episodes. They are midway through the second season of TOS right now I think. They also get to dig through the Roddenberry Archives, and get to post interesting script notes and documents on their Facebook page.

I've never even heard of it, actually. I will be paying attention though. Thanks!

Postby universalchiro on Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm

I missed it... I'll have to check it out since you vote for it being the best one yet...

One glaring edge that Star Wars has over Star Trek is the smaller ship to ship battles. I'm a big fan of seeing 100 Tie-fighters cutting in and out of 100 X-wing class fighters, going back and forth in an epic battle all the while the back-drop are massive bulk Rebel cruisers battling it out against Galactic Star destroyers. Just awesome visuals...
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ooge on Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 pm

universalchiro wrote:

I missed it... I'll have to check it out since you vote for it being the best one yet...

One glaring edge that Star Wars has over Star Trek is the smaller ship to ship battles. I'm a big fan of seeing 100 Tie-fighters cutting in and out of 100 X-wing class fighters, going back and forth in an epic battle all the while the back-drop are massive bulk Rebel cruisers battling it out against Galactic Star destroyers. Just awesome visuals...

The series is like anything some seasons are stronger then others but I thought by the last season the show was pretty tight.Yes there is no doubt the visuals in Star Wars are better than Star Trek.But I doubt up in till recently Star Trek ever had the budget that The Star Wars movies had.
Last edited by ooge on Thu May 23, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain ooge

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 22, 2013 1:37 pm

universalchiro wrote:

If you like battles, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica had some pretty intense smaller ship to ship battling and edginess.

--Andy

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Woodruff wrote:
universalchiro wrote:sure he did well bringing all the old characters back pretty & young

I haven't seen the latest iteration, but f*ck that noise. This whole "different timeline" thing is embarrassing and unnecessary. Should've just went with different names and treated them like a "new next generation".

Ok, I watched the new Star Trek tonight. I stand by my statements above, and I would further add that the writers apparently had no creative capability at all and had to fall to yet another rehash of a previously-done episode.

It was a fun movie, and I enjoyed it as a movie. But it's thoroughly unnecessary to have it be "the same crew", and this movie was frankly just pure laziness in the writing.

Postby tzor on Wed May 22, 2013 8:11 pm

universalchiro wrote:One glaring edge that Star Wars has over Star Trek is the smaller ship to ship battles.

One big advantage of Star Wars is that they avoid FTL combat completely. The Star Trek convention, especially from TOS was massively hand waved and only established after the series.

By the way, if you really want to understand the "Star Wars Effect" check out THIS SITE

TOS Constitution Class is 289m long

The later Galactica is 610m long

The Imperial Star Destroyer is over five Constitution Class Star Ships Long!

And that is blown away by the Super Star Destroyer at 19.0km

The only star trek thing that comes close to the original death star was V'Ger (98km compared to 120km)

Star Trek introduced really insanely massive star ships from day one!
Cadet tzor

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

Star Trek if you like public television, Star Wars if you like soap operas?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby ooge on Fri May 24, 2013 5:08 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Star Trek if you like public television, Star Wars if you like soap operas?

NASA employees,Astrophysicists almost always say Star Trek over Star Wars so that makes sense.
Captain ooge

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
universalchiro wrote:

If you like battles, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica had some pretty intense smaller ship to ship battling and edginess.

--Andy

The reboot BSG was amazing and should be part of the conversation.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
universalchiro wrote:

--Andy

I agree. It operates in a very different universe though compared to Star Trek and Star Wars. But the universe is pretty amazing, and lonely feeling. The first season, with all the FTL jumps on the run? On the edge of my seat.

Since I love anything with spaceships and space travel, I like all of the above, but for varying reasons!

--Andy

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 24, 2013 2:29 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
universalchiro wrote:

--Andy

As long as we promise to never discuss anything that happened to the series after New Caprica. Stupid space angel nonsense...
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Fri May 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
universalchiro wrote:

--Andy

As long as we promise to never discuss anything that happened to the series after New Caprica. Stupid space angel nonsense...

true that! although it was interesting watching how Baltar had to get re-integrated...
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Urgh, Baltar.

Adama: We need a Cylon detector.
Baltar: Oh, their spines glow bright red during sex, we done here?

How did nobody notice? Those people were going at it like rabbits.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby universalchiro on Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Symmetry wrote:Urgh, Baltar.

Adama: We need a Cylon detector.
Baltar: Oh, their spines glow bright red during sex, we done here?

How did nobody notice? Those people were going at it like rabbits.

Star Trek and Star Wars, both get a +1 how they handle sexual issues to keep it so all ages can watch and enjoy. Sure the new release had a Dr. Marcos almost nude, which didn't fit what was going on, but set the scene that her and Admiral/captain Jim Kirk have a boy together. Star Trek tastefully handled Spock enduring Pan Far and lieutenant Saavik implying that she had intercourse with him to subdue his Vulcan boiling blood.

Anyone see the Star Trek Next Generation episode where this woman was a gift "perfect mate", she knew exactly what each species male wanted sexually. And when she walked past Worf, she growled at him and he growled back. She was something else. Great episode.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,