Conquer Club

Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re:

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 pm

2dimes wrote:
rishaed wrote:In which it states roughly paraphrased that in terms of grieving (as for the dead) you were not supposed to mark, cut, and (insert something else I can't remember) yourself because of the dead.

quentin wrote:Check out the big brain on Brad.

So yeah. You could get a tattoo just not an "In memory of dead person." one.


I got it. I didn't know that. I've sent a text to my mom (she indicated to me in prior years that all tattoos were prohibited by the Catholic Church).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby puppydog85 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 pm

The verse (Lev 19:28) is split in two parts- first part references cuttings for the dead. The second part references tattoos and that part does not restrict it to "for the dead". Though you could make a case that the first part does and the second is a restatement of the command, but that might be straining it a bit.
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:23 am
Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (7)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby puppydog85 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:37 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument; I'm simply explaining how Christians and particular sects aribtrarily behave by flipping between the literal and the figurative. It's a fact that it occurs, and that's the relevant point here. So,...

Do you take everything in the Bible literally?

Did God state that everything in the Bible must be taken literally?

And, how old is the Earth?


It's actually not all that hard to find out what should be taken literally. The parts that are historical are meant to be literal. The poetic stuff is clearly not. The prophetic books have their own set of rules but by and large are not literal.

You want it laid out book by book?

People make it hard on themselves. And really they should know better, the Bible says pretty clearly that if you want to believe it you have to give up other forms of authority. But most people have trouble doing that and attempt to force a book into an interpretation that it clearly says otherwise.
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:23 am
Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (7)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:44 pm

So here's a question:
How much of the Bible was literally dictated by God to some human?
(Obviously not all of it - I don't think anyone, apart possibly from the Exclusive Brethren, believes that)
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:52 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
chang50 wrote: So it's only those 'Christians' who see things differently to you that interpret the Bible (wrongly) because you have been soo blessed to know exactly what it all means,literally and figuratively. I Guess all the legions of theologians who have dedicated their lives to the subject must have mostly been wrong not being lucky enough to be as insightful as you.

This is a provocative comment with no actual basis. If you're trolling, like I presume you are, try harder.
If you're indeed serious, I apologise if that is the impression you have perceived from my comments. I in no way profess to "have all the answers".
Whilst some of the Bible has been contentious and no doubt a tad confusing for some over the correct interpretation/meaning, it generally is pretty straight forward.
For example, when I claim that confessing and being forgiven of sins by a man behind a screen in a booth is not biblical, I can back that up with scriptural evidence, and upon request of evidence that disputes this, get no real response. So by making this claim I'm not professing to be a genius, only to have an apt understanding of general scripture.


To sum up - "The bible doesn't say a man behind a screen can forgive your sins, so it must not be right."

As chang puts it, hahaha ignores 2,000 years of history and theology, nevermind that the Bible is hardly consistent and provides for various "to dos" that I'm relatively certain hahaha doesn't actually do (to be fair, no one else does either). I tend to get these types of anti-Catholic arguments from Christians whose religions are allegedly based only on the Bible. Historically, these religions sprang up mostly for political reasons and the "man behind the screen" quip is an example of this type of thing. A religion based on a literal reading of the Bible cannot possibly exist.


The early Roman church actually persecuted and slaughtered Christians, yet you are saying history should eb the basis of Christianity, not the Holy Scripture pertaining to Christ itself?
When Christ was on earth he made scathing claims against the pharisees of the church, the people who valued tradition and historical law over all else. He declared to them in Mark 7:8-9 “You abandon the commandments of God to follow human traditions.” He added, “You have no trouble rejecting the commandments of God in order to keep your own traditions!".
Secondly, catholicism was the first religion to be forged for political reasons, so I'm not sure if you should be throwing these remarks around about other denominations.


Right, right. Rock, church, and all that. I do not doubt that Catholicism is and has been politically motivated. It's an historic fact. But keep in mind that you started this.

Here are some simple questions for you to answer. If you do not abide by these rules, then you are also violating the tenets of the Bible.

(1) Have you ever worked on a Sunday? If so, were you killed (as required by Exodus)?
(2) Do you have any loans? Do you pay interest? See Leviticus.
(3) Do you do any of the following (as prohibited by Leviticus):
(a) Sow your field with more than one seed;
(b) Wear a cloth garment with two kinds of materials;
(c) Eat flesh with blood;
(d) Round off the hair on your temples;
(e) Have a tatoo;
(4) Have you participated in the stoning of adulterers? See Leviticus
(5) Have you had intercourse with a menstrating woman? If so, were you exiled? See Levicitus
(6) Do you tithe 1/10th of what you make to your religion?
(7) Do you allow non-Christians in your house?
(8) And the last one - do you humble yourself such that you grieve and cry? I kind of get that you don't given your username, so...


Sir, I do believe you are the one who claims to base your religion on tradition, and not the teachings of Christ, therefore wouldn't these laws of tradition for the ancient Israelites apply to yourself firstly, if anyone?
The epistles of Paul are very good at explaining the difference between the curse of the Law and the grace of God, and rather than give my own spin (that people seem to become upset about) I suggest you read it itself in it's pure original form.

BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument


I'm genuinely curious to hear your interpretation of creation. Disappointed you won't follow through.

thegreekdog wrote:Perhaps helpful chronology:
- Someone says the pope believes in evolution.
- I support the above in a post (because the pope and the Catholic church is supportive of evolution).
- hahaha3hahaha takes a shot at Catholics.
- I take a shot at hahaha3hahaha's religion.
- Thereafter we (hahaha3hahaha and I) engage in witty repartee.


That is pretty much spot on ;)
Just going back to a previous discussion we were having, also with jonesthecurl, I have a question.
I will not put any of my own opinion in it, as you two seem to take offense to this ever too frequently.
The Jewish religion will be the first to admit that they are not a Christian denomination. Why? Because they deny the teaching of Christ that he is God.
Now, my suggestion was that it's difficult for someone to be a Christian, if they believe in evolution, because that is denying the teaching of Christ that he is the creator of the world.
In both cases the controversial matter is rejecting a teaching of Christ. I am wondering why you would classif one group of deniers as Christian, and not the other?
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Because one group doesn't call themselves christian and the other does.
Again, what's your own church?
Why are fundamentalist people so reluctant to say this?
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 pm

puppydog85 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument; I'm simply explaining how Christians and particular sects aribtrarily behave by flipping between the literal and the figurative. It's a fact that it occurs, and that's the relevant point here. So,...

Do you take everything in the Bible literally?

Did God state that everything in the Bible must be taken literally?

And, how old is the Earth?


It's actually not all that hard to find out what should be taken literally. The parts that are historical are meant to be literal. The poetic stuff is clearly not. The prophetic books have their own set of rules but by and large are not literal.

You want it laid out book by book?

People make it hard on themselves. And really they should know better, the Bible says pretty clearly that if you want to believe it you have to give up other forms of authority. But most people have trouble doing that and attempt to force a book into an interpretation that it clearly says otherwise.


Since there's no part in the Bible which states you must take everything literally, then it's up to the reader to separate the literal from the figurative. You chose your standard, and other people will choose their standards. Both sides can use the exact reasoning of your last paragraph and arrive at different conclusions. Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?

RE: the question on the age of the Earth. If one takes the Genesis story literally--as well other parts of the Bible literally (in order to calculate some date), then wouldn't one confine oneself to an age of the Earth which can be falsified? I believe so, which in turn opens the Bible to error in this aspect---if taken literally. How does one overcome this problem?
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 pm

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument


I'm genuinely curious to hear your interpretation of creation. Disappointed you won't follow through.


It's up to you to critically think about your position, which is why I ask questions that get to the 'heart of the matter'. If you don't wish to address the fundamental problems of your position, then why bother?
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Because one group doesn't call themselves christian and the other does.


So, all you have to do to be a true Christian is to call yourself one?
Gee, in that case, I'm an astronaut!

BigBallinStalin wrote:
puppydog85 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument; I'm simply explaining how Christians and particular sects aribtrarily behave by flipping between the literal and the figurative. It's a fact that it occurs, and that's the relevant point here. So,...

Do you take everything in the Bible literally?

Did God state that everything in the Bible must be taken literally?

And, how old is the Earth?


It's actually not all that hard to find out what should be taken literally. The parts that are historical are meant to be literal. The poetic stuff is clearly not. The prophetic books have their own set of rules but by and large are not literal.

You want it laid out book by book?

People make it hard on themselves. And really they should know better, the Bible says pretty clearly that if you want to believe it you have to give up other forms of authority. But most people have trouble doing that and attempt to force a book into an interpretation that it clearly says otherwise.


Since there's no part in the Bible which states you must take everything literally, then it's up to the reader to separate the literal from the figurative. You chose your standard, and other people will choose their standards. Both sides can use the exact reasoning of your last paragraph and arrive at different conclusions. Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?

RE: the question on the age of the Earth. If one takes the Genesis story literally--as well other parts of the Bible literally (in order to calculate some date), then wouldn't one confine oneself to an age of the Earth which can be falsified? I believe so, which in turn opens the Bible to error in this aspect---if taken literally. How does one overcome this problem?


Whilst some aspects to the Bible may be confusing as to whether they're to be interpreted literally or figuratively, most of it is clean cut, no debate necessary.
For example, when God commands us not to steal, it's pretty obvious that it's a command to literally, not steal. No degree in theology required.
You still have not given any basis regarding why you believe creation was figurative and not meant to be taken literally. This is an open discussion, don't be shy.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

hahaha3hahaha wrote:So, all you have to do to be a true Christian is to call yourself one?
Gee, in that case, I'm an astronaut!



Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.

Ground Control to Major Tom...
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:52 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.



You've made this claim multiple times, and when queried about evidence for such a claim, never provide any. I've actually stated the quite opposite of what you're saying.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby rishaed on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:So, all you have to do to be a true Christian is to call yourself one?
Gee, in that case, I'm an astronaut!



Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.

Ground Control to Major Tom...

Acting stupid aside, jones, He does ask a fair question, that is why don't you take the creation literally and not figuratively. If God is all powerful he could (and did) create the world in 6 days (he rested on the 7th), why should we make it figurative simply to fit your world view (when it isn't even proven, nor can be proven, but requires an amount of faith.)
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rishaed
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 pm

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
puppydog85 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
"What about the Genesis story?" Well, it's meant to be taken figuratively--not literally.



What gives you that impression? I'm interested to here your theory on why creation is figurative and not literal.


I'm not here to defend that argument; I'm simply explaining how Christians and particular sects aribtrarily behave by flipping between the literal and the figurative. It's a fact that it occurs, and that's the relevant point here. So,...

Do you take everything in the Bible literally?

Did God state that everything in the Bible must be taken literally?

And, how old is the Earth?


It's actually not all that hard to find out what should be taken literally. The parts that are historical are meant to be literal. The poetic stuff is clearly not. The prophetic books have their own set of rules but by and large are not literal.

You want it laid out book by book?

People make it hard on themselves. And really they should know better, the Bible says pretty clearly that if you want to believe it you have to give up other forms of authority. But most people have trouble doing that and attempt to force a book into an interpretation that it clearly says otherwise.


Since there's no part in the Bible which states you must take everything literally, then it's up to the reader to separate the literal from the figurative. You chose your standard, and other people will choose their standards. Both sides can use the exact reasoning of your last paragraph and arrive at different conclusions. Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?

RE: the question on the age of the Earth. If one takes the Genesis story literally--as well other parts of the Bible literally (in order to calculate some date), then wouldn't one confine oneself to an age of the Earth which can be falsified? I believe so, which in turn opens the Bible to error in this aspect---if taken literally. How does one overcome this problem?


Whilst some aspects to the Bible may be confusing as to whether they're to be interpreted literally or figuratively, most of it is clean cut, no debate necessary.
For example, when God commands us not to steal, it's pretty obvious that it's a command to literally, not steal. No degree in theology required.
You still have not given any basis regarding why you believe creation was figurative and not meant to be taken literally. This is an open discussion, don't be shy.



Your response doesn't resolve the dilemma. Sure, "don't steal", that makes sense, but saying "it's obvious" when in many cases, it isn't, fails to demonstrate that your standard (whatever it is) is correct while all others are incorrect.

Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?
(We actually can't know, yet somehow you do because you're special? Or... you have access to Godlike truth? Or you don't realize the limits of your stance?)


I already addressed your tangent about the Genesis story. You're not interested in addressing the fundamental problems of your stance (which is disappointing).
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?
(We actually can't know, yet somehow you do because you're special? Or... you have access to Godlike truth? Or you don't realize the limits of your stance?)


Give me an example of when I've claimed to be special or have access to Godlike truth.

BigBallinStalin wrote:I already addressed your tangent about the Genesis story. You're not interested in addressing the fundamental problems of your stance (which is disappointing).


You have not specified any "fundamental problems". It's hard to address an unaddressed problem.
In fact not only have you not mentioned any of these "fundamental problems", you have tip-toed around the question I've asked you 3-4 times now- what makes you say the doctrine of creation was figurative and not literal? I'm not asking you to be right, I'm asking you to share an opinion, I genuinely want to know what gives you so much faith that creation is not literal.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 pm

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.



You've made this claim multiple times, and when queried about evidence for such a claim, never provide any. I've actually stated the quite opposite of what you're saying.


This is very very easy.
Lots of people, reading the same text as you, don't agree with you.
Who says you're right and they're wrong?
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 pm

rishaed wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:So, all you have to do to be a true Christian is to call yourself one?
Gee, in that case, I'm an astronaut!



Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.

Ground Control to Major Tom...

Acting stupid aside, jones, He does ask a fair question, that is why don't you take the creation literally and not figuratively. If God is all powerful he could (and did) create the world in 6 days (he rested on the 7th), why should we make it figurative simply to fit your world view (when it isn't even proven, nor can be proven, but requires an amount of faith.)


I don't take it at all. I don't accept any divine authority for his magic book.
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
Well, you seem to think that you are better judge of what the bible means, based only on your own cognisance.



You've made this claim multiple times, and when queried about evidence for such a claim, never provide any. I've actually stated the quite opposite of what you're saying.


This is very very easy.
Lots of people, reading the same text as you, don't agree with you.
Who says you're right and they're wrong?


The Bible clearly states how the world, and humans, were created, and it certainly does not say we evolved from apes, and that the universe is the result of random particles and energy colliding. The Bible says that "Christians" who believe otherwise are wrong, not me. So yet again you've made a false claim that I proclaim to be an authority of knowledge without any evidence or quotes to back you up.
Last edited by hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:43 am

So, again, you are right and millions, possibly billions of bbible devotees are wrong.
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 am

jonesthecurl wrote:So, again, you are right and millions, possibly billions of bbible devotees are wrong.

Show me where the Bible indicates that either:
a) humans are a result of evolution
b) the universe was an accidental clash of matter and energy

Seriously, show me one verse that displays either of these. Any one of them.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 am

Um, I don't grant the Bible any authority whatsoever.
I'm not attempting to use it to back up MY position, I am ( I repeat) not a christian. This is after many years of serious consideration (as I've said lots, mostly before you appeared on the scene).
But (once again) the "vast majority" of "Christians" accept evolution.
Go ahead and agrue it with them.



Oh, and again -
Again, what is your church?

I won't mock you. I do that only under extreme provocation. I sincerely want to know. You see, we non-believers seem to need to argue against a huge range of different interpretations of the bible. I have tried to get a discussion going several times on this issue, to see to what extent you guys agree with each other. I find it a little frustrating to be told that the "T"ruth of the bible is "Obvious" when you guys seem to have fundamental differences between you.

I mean, ultimately, I don't really care, it's just that it's hard to have a discussion when the ground keeps shifting underneath us.

So what is you curch, hahaguy?
thedragonsrun.webnode.com
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 am

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Given this dilemma, how do we know your standard is correct while the standards of others are incorrect?
(We actually can't know, yet somehow you do because you're special? Or... you have access to Godlike truth? Or you don't realize the limits of your stance?)


Give me an example of when I've claimed to be special or have access to Godlike truth.


Still can't answer the underlined, huh?

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I already addressed your tangent about the Genesis story. You're not interested in addressing the fundamental problems of your stance (which is disappointing).


You have not specified any "fundamental problems". It's hard to address an unaddressed problem.
In fact not only have you not mentioned any of these "fundamental problems",


Sure, I have. Go back to page 6 and reread. If you care to answer questions, then we can continue toward the fundamental problems. If you want to delve into tangents, then so be it.
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
You have not specified any "fundamental problems". It's hard to address an unaddressed problem.
In fact not only have you not mentioned any of these "fundamental problems",


Sure, I have. Go back to page 6 and reread. If you care to answer questions, then we can continue toward the fundamental problems. If you want to delve into tangents, then so be it.


Your "fundamental problems" as specified on page 6 were...

BigBallinStalin on page 6 wrote:
Do you take everything in the Bible literally?

Did God state that everything in the Bible must be taken literally?

And, how old is the Earth?


...actually questions.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:43 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Um, I don't grant the Bible any authority whatsoever.
I'm not attempting to use it to back up MY position, I am ( I repeat) not a christian. This is after many years of serious consideration (as I've said lots, mostly before you appeared on the scene).
But (once again) the "vast majority" of "Christians" accept evolution.
Go ahead and agrue it with them.


Your whole premise to arguing against me (that you are self-admittedly not even supporting yourself anyway) is that if someone claims something to be true- it must be true, regardless how little logic and rationale it contains. You STILL have not been able to provide me any evidence that the Bible supports evolutionism. Your only support for the Bible teaching evolution is that "because people claim it to be true- it must be true"- regardless of the fact that this claim is completely baseless.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby chang50 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 am

hahaha3hahaha wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Um, I don't grant the Bible any authority whatsoever.
I'm not attempting to use it to back up MY position, I am ( I repeat) not a christian. This is after many years of serious consideration (as I've said lots, mostly before you appeared on the scene).
But (once again) the "vast majority" of "Christians" accept evolution.
Go ahead and agrue it with them.


Your whole premise to arguing against me (that you are self-admittedly not even supporting yourself anyway) is that if someone claims something to be true- it must be true, regardless how little logic and rationale it contains. You STILL have not been able to provide me any evidence that the Bible supports evolutionism. Your only support for the Bible teaching evolution is that "because people claim it to be true- it must be true"- regardless of the fact that this claim is completely baseless.


You've totally missed his point,he and others have been banging their heads against a brick wall,trying to ascertain how NON-BELIEVERS can know which of all the competing interpretations is truest when Christians can hardly agree on much amongst yourselves.If the Catholics for example are right the others are necessarily wrong to some degree.You accused me of trolling a while back,either you are trolling or a bit slow..I mean why would a non-believer look to the Bible for evidence to support evolutionism,come on..??
User avatar
Captain chang50
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 am
Location: pattaya,thailand
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:42 am

chang50 wrote:
hahaha3hahaha wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Um, I don't grant the Bible any authority whatsoever.
I'm not attempting to use it to back up MY position, I am ( I repeat) not a christian. This is after many years of serious consideration (as I've said lots, mostly before you appeared on the scene).
But (once again) the "vast majority" of "Christians" accept evolution.
Go ahead and agrue it with them.


Your whole premise to arguing against me (that you are self-admittedly not even supporting yourself anyway) is that if someone claims something to be true- it must be true, regardless how little logic and rationale it contains. You STILL have not been able to provide me any evidence that the Bible supports evolutionism. Your only support for the Bible teaching evolution is that "because people claim it to be true- it must be true"- regardless of the fact that this claim is completely baseless.


You've totally missed his point,he and others have been banging their heads against a brick wall,trying to ascertain how NON-BELIEVERS can know which of all the competing interpretations is truest when Christians can hardly agree on much amongst yourselves.If the Catholics for example are right the others are necessarily wrong to some degree.You accused me of trolling a while back,either you are trolling or a bit slow..I mean why would a non-believer look to the Bible for evidence to support evolutionism,come on..??


You are confused. You are speaking of BigBallinStalin.
The reply that you just quoted was directed at jonesthecurl.
I suggest you read back through the past couple pages, you're mixing discussions.
Cook hahaha3hahaha
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to A Place for People to Practice How to Love

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Symmetry