Conquer Club

Any watch collectors in cc land?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Any watch collectors in cc land?

Postby betiko on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:53 am

elfish_lad wrote:https://500px.com/photo/276918867

What I’m sporting right now. I beat this sucker to a pulp this season. I think I killed it. The digital time is always wrong. The date and day are whacked. The minute hand is disfunctional. Only the stop watch works. That’s why I wear it.

I had high hopes for this 60 buck watch back in April. But I have a pretty labour intensive job and I’ve got to have a watch that can take the wet, the heat, the sweat, the banging, etc.

Thinking about it today maybe I’m better off just buying a new work watch for 50-60 bucks every year rather than something else?

Dunno.

E.

If i were you i’d get a G-shock for work and something elle in memory of your mum.
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:57 am

Symmetry wrote:I really don't need most of the clumsy stuff that even my basic phone does better.

Like tell you the time?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 am

mrswdk wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I really don't need most of the clumsy stuff that even my basic phone does better.

Like tell you the time?

A g-shock with gps time and solar power is quite more reliable than a phone though. Unless you live a very urban life with your charger always with you, electric sockets always available, clean hands to take your phone from your pocket... and if you don’t mind hacine to look for your phone each time instead of doing a little wrist check.

Mrs what would you get if you had to shop for a watch?
Major betiko

Postby elfish_lad on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 am

betiko wrote:
elfish_lad wrote:https://500px.com/photo/276918867

What I’m sporting right now. I beat this sucker to a pulp this season. I think I killed it. The digital time is always wrong. The date and day are whacked. The minute hand is disfunctional. Only the stop watch works. That’s why I wear it.

I had high hopes for this 60 buck watch back in April. But I have a pretty labour intensive job and I’ve got to have a watch that can take the wet, the heat, the sweat, the banging, etc.

Thinking about it today maybe I’m better off just buying a new work watch for 50-60 bucks every year rather than something else?

Dunno.

E.

If i were you i’d get a G-shock for work and something elle in memory of your mum.

That’s what I’m starting to think. I’m in the mud and goo in April and May, the snow and yuck in October and November. Desert conditions in between. Pretty brutal. Fun to think it through though.
Major elfish_lad

Postby mrswdk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

I can see how if you're doing manual labour a watch would be better. Otherwise I think for purely practical reasons there is no real difference between looking at a watch on my wrist and taking my phone out of my pocket.

I have some Rotary watch that I've owned for getting on 10 years now. I don't know what model it is but it's gold, plain face (just has numerals for the hours), neutral black leather strap.

And for the occasions I wear outfits that a nice watch with a leather strap just doesn't look right with, I have some black-faced silver metal chain thing. That one is just has a plain face with marks to show where the hours are. I don't like the look of those watches that have all sorts of dials and so on on their face.

I like both so I've no interest in getting anything new, but that's what I have.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm

mrswdk wrote:I can see how if you're doing manual labour a watch would be better. Otherwise I think for purely practical reasons there is no real difference between looking at a watch on my wrist and taking my phone out of my pocket.

I have some Rotary watch that I've owned for getting on 10 years now. I don't know what model it is but it's gold, plain face (just has numerals for the hours), neutral black leather strap.

And for the occasions I wear outfits that a nice watch with a leather strap just doesn't look right with, I have some black-faced silver metal chain thing. That one is just has a plain face with marks to show where the hours are. I don't like the look of those watches that have all sorts of dials and so on on their face.

I like both so I've no interest in getting anything new, but that's what I have.

so you wear a watch just on special ocasions or every day, I don't get it?

I don't know; we went from pocket watches to wrist watches for a reason. There are so many moments where I don't have my phone with me, or that it's somewhere around but not on me... I just always have my watch and never have to look for it. There are so many activities where it's not practical to pull out your phone...
And yes, it's not about just getting the time... that would be like finding only the practical use of a bracelet, a necklace or earings for a woman. It's the man jewel.
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm

I wear one pretty much every day. The nicer one most of the time, the metal one on occasions when my outfit doesn't suit the nicer one.

I read somewhere that wrist watches first became a thing in the military - because in a lot of combat/training situations a pocket watch was impractical - and then the trend spread among civilians once people saw soldiers wearing wrist watches and copied them.

Maybe the phone thing's generational. Mine's always either in my pocket or on a desk right next to me. Even most of the times when I wash I take it to the bathroom with me so that I can play music. I think it's the same for most people I know. The only time a watch would be really practical for me would be during exercise, but I don't have any watch I'd want to wear while working out.

Speaking of man jewels, I sometimes also wear a chain.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby demonfork on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:29 pm

mrswdk wrote:I wear one pretty much every day. The nicer one most of the time, the metal one on occasions when my outfit doesn't suit the nicer one.

I read somewhere that wrist watches first became a thing in the military - because in a lot of combat/training situations a pocket watch was impractical - and then the trend spread among civilians once people saw soldiers wearing wrist watches and copied them.

Maybe the phone thing's generational. Mine's always either in my pocket or on a desk right next to me. Even most of the times when I wash I take it to the bathroom with me so that I can play music. I think it's the same for most people I know. The only time a watch would be really practical for me would be during exercise, but I don't have any watch I'd want to wear while working out.

Do your chains hang low?
Major demonfork

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:17 pm

mrswdk wrote:I can see how if you're doing manual labour a watch would be better. Otherwise I think for purely practical reasons there is no real difference between looking at a watch on my wrist and taking my phone out of my pocket.

Driving a car you can look at your watch. Taking your phone out of your pocket you will (in many places, probably not all) risk a fairly steep ticket.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Last time I drove a car it had a clock inside the speedometer. Not that I really needed to look at it though.

demonfork wrote:
mrswdk wrote:I wear one pretty much every day. The nicer one most of the time, the metal one on occasions when my outfit doesn't suit the nicer one.

Do your chains hang low?

They do waggle to and fro.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby demonfork on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 pm

mrswdk wrote:Last time I drove a car it had a clock inside the speedometer. Not that I really needed to look at it though.

demonfork wrote:

Do your chains hang low?

They do waggle to and fro.

Also, I wouldn't be caught dead without a watch on my wrist. Using a phone to check time is bush league.
Major demonfork

Postby mrswdk on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

As in, it’s for people who get loads of bush? Whereas you prefer jizzing on watches.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm

shit I just noticed something.
So basically being right handed I've always worn my watch on the left wrist. And as I said.... I've always worn a watch ever since I was 6 or 7, so more than 30 years of non stop watch wearing. I think I haven't been 10 days without a watch on my wrist in my entire life ever since.
So I've just removed my watch to check my wrist. My left wrist is actually not normal. My outer bone has an inwards curve where the watch sits. My left wrist is 16,5cm diameter and my right wrist (never worn watches) is 17,5cm diameter and with a much straighter outer bone.
I believe that your brain is the one responsible for eing left anded or right handed? I don't know, I guess that when you are a kid and you are still growing up, wearing a watch all the time might not be the greatest thing for your wrist bones? wonder if I'm the only one.
Shit and then looking at my left wrist from the side it gets like perfectly flat where the watch should sit, not on my right wrist. I just noticed that, and wearing watches all the time definitely has consequences on your wrist!
Major betiko

Postby demonfork on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 pm

mrswdk wrote:As in, it’s for people who get loads of bush? Whereas you prefer jizzing on watches.

bush league
ˈbo͝oSH ˈˌlēɡ/
North American

adjectiveinformal
adjective: bush-league

not of the highest quality or sophistication; second-rate.
Major demonfork

Postby elfish_lad on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 pm

I don’t know mrswdk, it’s probably considered misogynistic to say, but for me, it’s a guy thing. My dad had his dad’s watch. I have both of those watches now. I just feel, well, manly wearing a watch. Not sure why. I feel that my penis is ok so I don’t think it’s a transference type issue.

But you never know.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 pm

elfish_lad wrote:I don’t know mrswdk, it’s probably considered misogynistic to say, but for me, it’s a guy thing. My dad had his dad’s watch. I have both of those watches now. I just feel, well, manly wearing a watch. Not sure why. I feel that my penis is ok so I don’t think it’s a transference type issue.

But you never know.

Or maybe...

*Puts on sunglasses"

...time will tell.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I got myself this one the other day (spinnaker bradner in red, nh35 movement, sapphire cristal) I just love the supercompressor look.

also made a little present for my father when he came over a couple of weeks ago, an orient mako2 in blue

also bought this chinese xiaomi thing for te lulz 3 weeks ago still haven't received it

Major betiko

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 pm

demonfork wrote:
betiko wrote:I personally like that AP better and great configuration like that. I really don’t like the pink gold version.

I just received 8 nato straps ; i got 3 watches on 22mm band, so I will have some fun with my daughter trying combinations this afternoon.

Also i just realized that my OG turtle from my grand dad is fully original and from 1977, the first year of production, so it’s got more value than I thought

I don't like rose gold either. The AP is less expensive but I like the Patek more. Both watches were designed by the same watchmaker, so they are somewhat similar in form. If I can find either for the right price then I will grab it, otherwise I may be looking at a second Rolex. I picked up a used no date Submariner for 5k and I'm interested in the Pepsi bezel GMT Master 2 and it's considerably less expensive than the AP or Patek.

NATO straps are great. I have a bunch of them as well & they go great with dive watches.

did you buy the gmt2?

seriously considering a steinhart ocean titanium 500 GMT

Major betiko

Postby demonfork on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 am

betiko wrote:
demonfork wrote:
betiko wrote:I personally like that AP better and great configuration like that. I really don’t like the pink gold version.

I just received 8 nato straps ; i got 3 watches on 22mm band, so I will have some fun with my daughter trying combinations this afternoon.

Also i just realized that my OG turtle from my grand dad is fully original and from 1977, the first year of production, so it’s got more value than I thought

I don't like rose gold either. The AP is less expensive but I like the Patek more. Both watches were designed by the same watchmaker, so they are somewhat similar in form. If I can find either for the right price then I will grab it, otherwise I may be looking at a second Rolex. I picked up a used no date Submariner for 5k and I'm interested in the Pepsi bezel GMT Master 2 and it's considerably less expensive than the AP or Patek.

NATO straps are great. I have a bunch of them as well & they go great with dive watches.

did you buy the gmt2?

seriously considering a steinhart ocean titanium 500 GMT

Haven't pulled the trigger on the GMT yet...

Steinhart is a sick watch company.... highly recommended.

I have the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military 1.

Major demonfork

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:15 am

I love that OVM... I like the vintage red too.
I don't know if i get an ocean one if i should go for the vintage red (which is 99% like yours except for the small red writing on the dial) the titanium 500 or the titanium 500 GMT, i love all 3 of them.
I like how the titanium 500 try to go their own way without being such subby rip-offs.

I just received the xiaomi this morning but haven't done the unboxing yet, hopefully tonight. My watch addiction has started to be a kind of secret thing, it's too complicated to explain to people around you why you bought yet another watch.
Major betiko

Postby Bentelbow on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Here's my beater Seiko that's been on my wrist for most of the last 30 years. Not a collector but this thing has survived many trials and about 20 straps since the pins keep breaking.
Sergeant 1st Class Bentelbow

Postby betiko on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm

nice not sureI recognise the model. you could try to give it a little second life by changing the bezel insert and by polishing the cristal. 30 bucks and your old time beater would look almost as good as new.
Major betiko

Postby demonfork on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 pm

betiko wrote:I love that OVM... I like the vintage red too.
I don't know if i get an ocean one if i should go for the vintage red (which is 99% like yours except for the small red writing on the dial) the titanium 500 or the titanium 500 GMT, i love all 3 of them.
I like how the titanium 500 try to go their own way without being such subby rip-offs.

I just received the xiaomi this morning but haven't done the unboxing yet, hopefully tonight. My watch addiction has started to be a kind of secret thing, it's too complicated to explain to people around you why you bought yet another watch.

Supposedly the OVM 1 is more collectible and is worth more.

post some pics of the xiaomi.
Major demonfork

Postby betiko on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 am

demonfork wrote:
betiko wrote:I love that OVM... I like the vintage red too.

Supposedly the OVM 1 is more collectible and is worth more.

post some pics of the xiaomi.

The OVM 1 and the OVR are worth the exact same price from steinhart and are both available new from their store. You mean on the used market? It's surprising to see how the steinharts hold their value.

are you still using photobucket? are you paying? I stopped using i as soon as it stopped being free now I don't know where to upload. Anyways, here's the video that made me go for it. I only paid it 87€.
The leather band is fucking shit, the mesh band is ok. The watch quality is very good for the price. Haven't tried yet but might put the leather strap from my orient which is quite nice as I'm mostly using natos on my orient.
The watch is much heavyer than I thought, it's got a very thick double sapphire. Too bad the water resistance is just 3 atmospheres though. I don't know, I thought that for this price I could get a side to side skeleton watch and therefore be able to see everything inside, more than on any skeleton watch. The applewatch like case is pretty funny too, from a distance people wouldn't expect to see that on your wrist.
It took at least 20 days to get in europe after ordering it on gearbest.com from china.

Also, I don't know if it's because there is a Tudor hype... but I absolutely love the Black Bay and the Pelagos!!!
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 am

░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,