Conquer Club

Any watch collectors in cc land?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Any watch collectors in cc land?

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:17 pm

In crossing a heath, I pitched my foot against a watch. David Hume argued that it was just a stone.

Who am I?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby GabonX on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I bought a datejust 16233 two years ago. Two weeks ago the dealer that sold it to me offered $1100 over what I spent to buy it back.

I'm considering getting an explorer 1 for a more casual/versatile daily wear.
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby riskllama on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 pm

don't any of you guys have smartphones? they keep perfect time and you never have to wind them or anything.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby GabonX on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Why live in a house when you can set up a cardboard box on the sidewalk?
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:55 am

I'm kind of getting into seikos

I inherited like 15 years ago of an old turtle from my grandpa; i had it in a drawer and wasn't using it. I changed the horrible orange rubber strap my dad had put on it for something that looks like this one

I love it, such a great beater watch. I wonder if I should change the bezel engravement or leave the old one with patina; also the luminescent thing on the top of the bezel is missing, not sure i can get a new one without changing that. It have to find a bezel spring too, not sure if i should buy it over the internet or from a seiko store cause i don't know if the new turtle has the same bezel size as the old one.

also, just bough this one:
great watch but just when I got it I rediscovered the old turtle, and I can't stop switching between the two.

my other watch is the nixon player that is a great beater too.

I'm also seriously considering a flightmaster... such a great all around watch with such great value for money

but I don't know, my next step might be to just buy a dressy mechanical watch, something cheap such as an orient... even considering guanquin which are great value for money.

I'm just getting the obsession about watches starting.... right now I kind of want to have a bit of quantity since I don't have a lot of watches and want to fill in few categories I'm lacking..........
honestly, I'm not into really expensive watches... at least for the moment, maybe it will grow later. the only expensive watch I've ever been into is that raymond weil I showed in this thread earlier... and it's not a real expensive watch, it's probably around 2k; not the kind of money i'd be putting in a watch anymore right now.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:00 am

demonfork wrote:Hamilton X-Wind Khaki automatic with Worn & Wound strap
Tissot Seastar automatic with NATO strap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hrvd9ia2eikqlr/Photo%20Sep%2023%2C%2010%2022%2043%20AM.jpg?dl=0

both nice with cool straps
Major betiko

Postby 2dimes on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 am

I own one watch that was semi expensive, it is one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-pilots ... 3548437676

It has a problem and batteries only last about three months. I'd like to get it repaired but can't justify the expected cost.

I have two interesting watches that were around $60 each. One is from the Boeing museum in Seattle and the other is from the factory in Toulouse.

When I was not flying for a while I stopped wearing watches because I avoided letting time direct my life, other thsn something like when I was required to start work.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 am

how on earth do you expect time not to direct your life? it does. It's something else to ignore it. that you can.
but if you want to go to a store, you most likely have to go at certain hours, if you want to avoid traffic you need to avoid certain hours.... if there is something "important" on tv live and you want to watch it... if you wonder what time it is when you wake up in the middle of the night for a wee, if you wonder at what time you got to pick up your kid from school.... I don't know, there are just millions of things during a day that require knowing what time it is.

oh and crap. i just bought an Orient. this watch thing is terrible i can't control myself. i'm not a big spender usually.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 am

I also don't wear a watch and I don't have a phone. My truck at work doesn't even have a clock, so I go through most of the day not knowing what time it is. Clock time is a lie anyway. Sun time is accurate. I only believe in local nooning. All this time zone and daylight savings garbage is a pure fabrication. If God and science says that it is noon, who is man to say that it is 1:16?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 am

DoomYoshi wrote:I also don't wear a watch and I don't have a phone. My truck at work doesn't even have a clock, so I go through most of the day not knowing what time it is. Clock time is a lie anyway. Sun time is accurate. I only believe in local nooning. All this time zone and daylight savings garbage is a pure fabrication. If God and science says that it is noon, who is man to say that it is 1:16?

the real question is who cares what the sun and god tell you. you could buy a watch that gives you sun time though.

Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

the real question is "who cares what science says when you can just invent your own reality?"
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 am

DoomYoshi wrote:the real question is "who cares what science says when you can just invent your own reality?"

let's see.... it's a human rights problem. We all deserve to have 24h days no matter the daylight where we live (you're being quite racist towards northern canadians). We also have the right to optimize our daylight depending on the time of the year.

get a fucking watch, you are part of the system.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am

I am racist towards anyone who lives north of the California border, like Bruce Lee who went to the University of Washington.

Notice how neither man is wearing a watch.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby 2dimes on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, I'm not quite going to the extreme described there but if I am flying timing is quite important. ATC wants to know when you are going to be in a particular place. Unless I need to fit in or meet someone I don't have a desire to do things acording to schedule.

In cases where I do need to check the time there is a clock beside the bed and often I have a smart phone in my pocket.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to fly so today I decided to get a watch since in addition to the fact all my other watches have had their batteries removed. Using a phone to check time is pretty inconvenient.

The two I own that are from the airplane factory shops are more far looks because they don't have numbers on them. The pilots watch has a dead battery again which I should probably get removed.

So anyway I bought a watch that looks like a tactical one with nice big numbers for $9.99 plus tax, then my wife cashed in $10 worth of points so it cost ten cents for tax.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby betiko on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Get your seiko fixed instead of buying crap that won't hold a year. At least get a 30$ timex or something.

Seriously I think i ve always worn a watch since I was around 6 or 7. I've had countless swatch watches for all those years. I really can't stand not having the time on my wrist. I really feel that less than 50% of the people wear watches now. I really don't get it. Days are based on schedules... yes there is always a clock somewhere or a phone in your pocket... but reading the time on your phone when it's in your pocket or bag sucks, it can also run out of batery, and you never know how accurate the time is where you read it from.
Major betiko

Postby riskllama on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby demonfork on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm

betiko wrote:I'm kind of getting into seikos

I inherited like 15 years ago of an old turtle from my grandpa; i had it in a drawer and wasn't using it. I changed the horrible orange rubber strap my dad had put on it for something that looks like this one

I love it, such a great beater watch. I wonder if I should change the bezel engravement or leave the old one with patina; also the luminescent thing on the top of the bezel is missing, not sure i can get a new one without changing that. It have to find a bezel spring too, not sure if i should buy it over the internet or from a seiko store cause i don't know if the new turtle has the same bezel size as the old one.

also, just bough this one:
great watch but just when I got it I rediscovered the old turtle, and I can't stop switching between the two.

my other watch is the nixon player that is a great beater too.

I'm also seriously considering a flightmaster... such a great all around watch with such great value for money

but I don't know, my next step might be to just buy a dressy mechanical watch, something cheap such as an orient... even considering guanquin which are great value for money.

I'm just getting the obsession about watches starting.... right now I kind of want to have a bit of quantity since I don't have a lot of watches and want to fill in few categories I'm lacking..........
honestly, I'm not into really expensive watches... at least for the moment, maybe it will grow later. the only expensive watch I've ever been into is that raymond weil I showed in this thread earlier... and it's not a real expensive watch, it's probably around 2k; not the kind of money i'd be putting in a watch anymore right now.

Seikos are great. They are a good value with good horology. Another thing that I like about Seikos is that they manufacturer their own movements and don't buy them from a 3rd party company like so many of the midrange Swiss watch companies. This is also why I like Rolex as they make their own movements in-house as well.

I also like Nixons. Although most of the components are Chinese made, the movements themselves are either Japanese or Swiss made. They are a great Value and have good quality. I have two Nixons in my collection and I am very happy with them.
Captain demonfork

Postby betiko on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 am

yes, i just love seikos... their range of watches is just te most impressive on the market, if you go all the way up to grand seikos and all... you can also customize them, wear them everyday given their price...

so here is the new Orient watch I just got this morning after ordering it yesterday on amazon (130€; great value for money brand in my understanding for a mechanical watch with 2 complications and seiko movement)

yes... still kind of the seiko universe lol. I didn't have any classic dress watch.

are you hunting for your next one demon?
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 am

the ones I'm looking up next are that seiko flighty i posted earlier and probably a g-shock, like a mudmaster or something.

Like i'm really starting i feel this urge to fill in the blanks in the watch styles & puroposes in my collection. maybe not a great strategy? I don't know, maybe when you start you need to get familiar with rather good pieces to then really apreciate the really good pieces, or the outstanding ones when you reach a certain level in the watch collecting thing.
Also I really like to have a signification behind each watch; a reason why they were bought. I bought the last 2 just because I felt like it. Not that great.

How long after starting your collection did you pull the trigger on a PP? how much does it even cost you to service such piece?
Major betiko

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:52 am

I’ve thought about starting to collect watches recently. Back to my childhood and my first Timex I’ve been enthralled. Have a bit of funds pending from my mom’s estate and was thinking maybe a cool analogue watch in her honour. Where should I start looking for less than a couple grand USD?
Major elfish_lad

Postby betiko on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 am

elfish_lad wrote:I’ve thought about starting to collect watches recently. Back to my childhood and my first Timex I’ve been enthralled. Have a bit of funds pending from my mom’s estate and was thinking maybe a cool analogue watch in her honour. Where should I start looking for less than a couple grand USD?

what type of watch are you looking for? something fancy to wear on special ocasions, something you'd wear every day, even in the shower and even swimming?
you could as well think about buying 2 or 3 for different ocasions.

I would recommend you to start watching the channel of a guy called the urban gentry. this guy's passion is fantastic, and you'll learn a lot. Don't get fooled by his looks though, he seems like a real nice and interesting guy.

I think you should see watches as entering these categories:
-quartz movement : cheaper, more reliable watches running on batery or solar power
-automatic movement: more classy and rewarding pieces, need to be worn so that they keep working. they are the ones with the fascinating engineering, and with the smooth hands running on the dial

then you can take these categoriesinto account:
-a diver watch: very tough watches that can be worn everywhere
-chronograph racing or pilot watches: they have a bit more features and are very cool looking. less water resistant because of their multiple buttons, even if some have screw ins to make them more water resistant.
-a classic watch: the type of watch you'd wear to work or on weddings or anything dressy... something that adds a class detail. they are generally the type of watches you can't even wear under the shower though
-a beater. A watch that you're comfortable to wear while doing anything. Very tough, reliable... I'd recommend it to be quartz and not too expensive, but from a recognized brand that you can trust.

Let's say that with 2k, you could get some entry level Omegas or Tudor, or higher end Oris, Tissot, Hamilton, Tag Heuer, Rado.... (a bit shy for a rolex)..... stuff like that, really depends on your tastes. It's important to see a brand's history, style etc...

I don't know,maybe start from here. You can get a very nice swiss watch for that price... you can also buy 2-3 to serve multiple purposes for that same budget.... first get informed, it's a very interesting and important part, then start looking at watches on amazon for example where you will find a huge amount of choice.
If you are willing to spend 2k just tke your time, it's an important decision, mostly if it's something honouring your mother. Go to shops and try them on, make sure you don't get something too big that wouldn't fit your wrist; feel them, inspect the high quality of some models... and just wait till you fall in love.
Don't buy a watch to impress anybody, or to try to make a profit (well you can... but if your goal is another watch you can't afford yet), it's something you buy strictly for yourself and that you should genuinely like.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:56 am

just to illustrate what i said:

my diver: worth about 400€
show

my chronograph: bought it for 220€
show

my classic: bought it for 130€
show

my beater: was worth about 150€
show

so what i have right now isn't even worth 1000€ but i like having different ones for different purposes.... and that i'm not scared to wear as they are not worth a car.

But it might be good to invest all on the same watch for your mum's memory... something you could pass on to your kids too. Just think of having other alternatives because it's good if you wear it on specal ocasions.
Major betiko

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow. Super helpful stuff b! Going give this some study.

Cheers.
Major elfish_lad

Postby demonfork on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 am

betiko wrote:yes, i just love seikos... their range of watches is just te most impressive on the market, if you go all the way up to grand seikos and all... you can also customize them, wear them everyday given their price...

so here is the new Orient watch I just got this morning after ordering it yesterday on amazon (130€; great value for money brand in my understanding for a mechanical watch with 2 complications and seiko movement)

yes... still kind of the seiko universe lol. I didn't have any classic dress watch.

are you hunting for your next one demon?

I've almost pulled the trigger on an Orient 2 or 3 times in the past but backed out at the last minute each time. It's another no brainer and most consider it a must have in any collection.

Right now I'm looking at a Patek Nautilus or a AP Royal Oak Offshore

Captain demonfork

Postby betiko on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:25 am

I personally like that AP better and great configuration like that. I really don’t like the pink gold version.

I just received 8 nato straps ; i got 3 watches on 22mm band, so I will have some fun with my daughter trying combinations this afternoon.

Also i just realized that my OG turtle from my grand dad is fully original and from 1977, the first year of production, so it’s got more value than I thought
Major betiko

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,