Conquer Club

Honest Conversation in America about Race

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Honest Conversation in America about Race

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

Army of GOD wrote:tl;dr

mixed emotions, like Woodruff returning to CC forums, with Joker paint on his Spock face....

Just when I was about to say where the heck are all the Americans in this thread! I knew it would be me, Mets, a couple others, and a bunch of people from other countries. Which is totally cool, but of course I want a lot of Americans contributing with their thoughts and emotions, what they see in the part of the country they live in, what they are proud of or disappointed about, what they think is honest and what they think is hustle.

C'mon aog, now is your chance to say whatever you want to say about race in America, and it will actually be discussed.
Major Phatscotty

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:03 am

Phatscotty wrote: and what they think is hustle.

I think this forum topic is a hustle.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:Sure there are some real racist ignorant fucks, but sure minorities victimize themselves a bit too. All is done to create a dichotomy... Why would it even be relevant to talk about someone s ethnic origins about anything anymore? Ethnic origins mean jack shit, it s all about the social class.
So basically a white trash living in a trailer gets less marginated than a black attorney in 2014 usa, really?
There is a big % of the black community living under poverty level, much more than "normal" proportions would suggest. This is what marginalises people. Thinking that your race is your problem is what doesn t make you move forward. Mounting communities ones against the other, and creating that spirit is what is really dangerous.the concept of a racist society is the inception of the racist society.

Your whole argument seems to be making the point that it is some giant coincidence that many black people in the USA are poor, that it really has nothing to do with their skin color. This is, to be charitable, an interpretation not supported by the relevant facts.

There is validity in where you're going with this: Zinn in People's History of the United States argued that the upper class generally tried to pit poor whites against (poor) blacks as a way to let race get in the way of the true thing that was keeping everyone down. But that doesn't mean that race is unimportant in explaining how we got here, or where we need to go.

Zinn's book tends to rely on a few newspaper articles to support whatever his various claims would be. He'd also use a few instances of individuals involved in some act and then paint the entire group as involved. Zinn would also be (un)intentionally vague on when the citation support his claim and when he was making up shit.. Don't use Zinn as support; that book is crap (it was interesting though, but poorly supported).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:06 pm

There were many instances of him doing that, sure; I didn't really trust most of the second half of the book. But I think the first few chapters were better, when he was talking about this specifically in the context of blacks and poor whites being used as a buffer between the rich folks and the Native Americans.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:Sure there are some real racist ignorant fucks, but sure minorities victimize themselves a bit too. All is done to create a dichotomy... Why would it even be relevant to talk about someone s ethnic origins about anything anymore? Ethnic origins mean jack shit, it s all about the social class.
So basically a white trash living in a trailer gets less marginated than a black attorney in 2014 usa, really?
There is a big % of the black community living under poverty level, much more than "normal" proportions would suggest. This is what marginalises people. Thinking that your race is your problem is what doesn t make you move forward. Mounting communities ones against the other, and creating that spirit is what is really dangerous.the concept of a racist society is the inception of the racist society.

Your whole argument seems to be making the point that it is some giant coincidence that many black people in the USA are poor, that it really has nothing to do with their skin color. This is, to be charitable, an interpretation not supported by the relevant facts.

There is validity in where you're going with this: Zinn in People's History of the United States argued that the upper class generally tried to pit poor whites against (poor) blacks as a way to let race get in the way of the true thing that was keeping everyone down. But that doesn't mean that race is unimportant in explaining how we got here, or where we need to go.

Did i ever say it was a coincidence? I said that they are proportionally poorer than other ethnicities, but the concept of "black" is dumb by itself. If you are a second generation kenyan like obama what links you to a 10th generation afro american slave?
People are not born equal, because they will not get the same education and the same money for primary needs. If you stick with your ghetto friends and justify all of your problems as race related stuff you ain t doing yourself a favour. Of course, you can be victim of blatant racism, but if you link everything to your race, you are just fueling racism. If you stick only with people of your race... You are somehow being discriminative and let yourselves be seen as a pack of "different" people, and might be asigned a few stereotypes that people will end up assimilating with yourself.
Major betiko

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:14 pm

betiko wrote:Did i ever say it was a coincidence? I said that they are proportionally poorer than other ethnicities, but the concept of "black" is dumb by itself. If you are a second generation kenyan like obama what links you to a 10th generation afro american slave?

The concept of "African American" may be dumb, but the concept of "black" still has real relevance. Implicit association tests show that people -- even those who stridently insist they are not racist -- associate black skin color with negative concepts. It is true for me -- I instinctively feel just a little less safe if I see a black person in a parking lot than a white person. This is true even though I rationally tell myself that it is stupid to feel that way. It is part of how I have been conditioned, and I am not even sure why it happens.

People are not born equal, because they will not get the same education and the same money for primary needs. If you stick with your ghetto friends and justify all of your problems as race related stuff you ain t doing yourself a favour. Of course, you can be victim of blatant racism, but if you link everything to your race, you are just fueling racism. If you stick only with people of your race... You are somehow being discriminative and let yourselves be seen as a pack of "different" people, and might be asigned a few stereotypes that people will end up assimilating with yourself.

Sticking with people that are similar to you seems to be something that humans naturally do. Therefore a little bit of racism seems to be inevitable unless we actively train ourselves to reach out to those who are different from us. The burden isn't just on black people -- it's also on white people, who generally only hang out with other white people.

Postby Fewnix on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:49 pm

It is difficult to have an honest conversation about racism in America without accepting it has been a major issue since the colonial era

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_ ... ted_States
Racism and ethnic discrimination in the United States has been a major issue since the colonial era and the slave era. Legally sanctioned racism sanctioned privileges and rights for White Americans not granted to Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, and Latin Americans. European Americans (particularly Anglo Americans) were privileged by law in matters of education, immigration, voting rights, citizenship, land acquisition, and criminal procedure over periods of time extending from the 17th century to the 1960s. At the time, many non-Protestant groups immigrating from Europe - particularly Jews, Irish people, Poles and Italians - suffered xenophobic exclusion and other forms of ethnicity-based discrimination in the American society.

Major racially and ethnically structured institutions included slavery, Indian Wars, Native American reservations, segregation, residential schools for Native Americans, and internment camps.[1] Formal racial discrimination was largely banned in the mid-20th century, and came to be perceived as socially unacceptable and/or morally repugnant as well.

Racial politics remains a major phenomenon. Racism continues to be reflected in socioeconomic inequality,[2] and has taken on more modern, indirect forms of expression, most prevalently symbolic racism.[3] Racial stratification continues to occur in employment, housing, education, lending, and government.
Rule 1
show
Private Fewnix

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:50 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Zinn's book tends to rely on a few newspaper articles to support whatever his various claims would be. He'd also use a few instances of individuals involved in some act and then paint the entire group as involved. Zinn would also be (un)intentionally vague on when the citation support his claim and when he was making up shit.. Don't use Zinn as support; that book is crap (it was interesting though, but poorly supported).

BBS is 100% correct
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 am

Fewnix wrote:It is difficult to have an honest conversation about racism in America without accepting it has been a major issue since the colonial era

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_ ... ted_States
Racism and ethnic discrimination in the United States has been a major issue since the colonial era and the slave era. Legally sanctioned racism sanctioned privileges and rights for White Americans not granted to Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, and Latin Americans. European Americans (particularly Anglo Americans) were privileged by law in matters of education, immigration, voting rights, citizenship, land acquisition, and criminal procedure over periods of time extending from the 17th century to the 1960s. At the time, many non-Protestant groups immigrating from Europe - particularly Jews, Irish people, Poles and Italians - suffered xenophobic exclusion and other forms of ethnicity-based discrimination in the American society.

Major racially and ethnically structured institutions included slavery, Indian Wars, Native American reservations, segregation, residential schools for Native Americans, and internment camps.[1] Formal racial discrimination was largely banned in the mid-20th century, and came to be perceived as socially unacceptable and/or morally repugnant as well.

Racial politics remains a major phenomenon. Racism continues to be reflected in socioeconomic inequality,[2] and has taken on more modern, indirect forms of expression, most prevalently symbolic racism.[3] Racial stratification continues to occur in employment, housing, education, lending, and government.

Well, sure since the colonial era in America, there was no 'All men are created equal' but isn't that also true for the entire history of the world? not saying what you bring up wasnt or isnt a problem, but that's the way human nature has always been.

My take on all that...Italians took a lot of shit, Irish took a lot of shit, blacks too a lot of shit, and it continued until they stood up for their rights. Not to make that sound simple or say it doesn't take time, but that's just the way it went. Individually, that's still the way it goes. Nobody is gonna give you respect 'just cuz' you have to earn it. And if you don't people are going to walk all over ya. If you don't know how to stand up for yourself, hey, it sucks, but people are gonna ride you until ya do.

One time I got into a fight in school with the leather-jacket motorcycle rider long hair type, he was way bigger than may and had a couple years too, which really is always the case in my fights cuz i've never started one. They had their group of close friends and I had my group of best friends and all of us started gettin involved with the other ones and they were all seniors and we were sophmores so we were worried. My one friend just got his license so we went to lunch and my friend who had the original beef stopped in front of dudes motorcycle and powerbraked so rubber n rocks n dust spit all over dudes bike. I didnt do it, i didnt really laugh about it either as i never thought it cool to mess with someone's bike/car. Next morning their whole crew is waitin for ME in my hangout spot, nobody from my sophmore class is there they straight invaded us, dude walks into my face and says 'did you trash my bike' and I said 'no' he said 'well were you there' I said 'Yes' and one of the guys kneeled behind me and he pushed me over and I went FLYIN. I said 'dude, I didn't do shit to you or your bike, but if you are lookin to fight tell your friends to back the f*ck off and lets go outside and do it' long story short, he threw a kick at me! I caught his foot, jacked him in the face 8 times while i had his foot then i let him fall down and as soon as i kneeled his arms down and was about to finish the fucker off the hall monitor grabbed me off and it was over. it was pretty cool tho, i didnt know it but the fight happened right in front of all the class windows so like 200 students saw almost the whole thing and were goin nutz cuz NOBODY liked those dirtball bullies.

So, we get into the principles office, mr hardcore harley rider looks at me, BIG OLD SMILE....'dude, that was stupid huh dude? the reason we fought? that was so dumb!'

I'm like 'yeah, I guess so' we imediately became friends, not buddies or anything, and we still are. He is a pastor now lol
Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 am

Since it wasn't true for the entire history of the world, it stands to reason that it also wasn't true just because it was written down -- social norms don't change instantly because of what's on a legal document. And indeed, it took nearly a hundred years for even the slavery part to realize this; but also, if you didn't own property, you couldn't even vote when the Constitution was ratified. (And so there were a lot of white men who couldn't vote at the time.) And that's not even getting started on women. "All men are created equal" is a nice sound bite, but where's the evidence that the people who wrote it actually believed it?

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 am

Metsfanmax wrote:Since it wasn't true for the entire history of the world, it stands to reason that it also wasn't true just because it was written down -- social norms don't change instantly because of what's on a legal document. And indeed, it took nearly a hundred years for even the slavery part to realize this; but also, if you didn't own property, you couldn't even vote when the Constitution was ratified. (And so there were a lot of white men who couldn't vote at the time.) And that's not even getting started on women. "All men are created equal" is a nice sound bite, but where's the evidence that the people who wrote it actually believed it?

Instantly? Instantly? pfff who said that???? you are really somethin mets! wow! Hey, do you ever remember me saying, like 5 or 6 times over these years, 'it's like these white guilters think there was just an on/off switch for slavery that the founders were just supposed to push'

I stated it was the history of the world, yes, so why would we have expected anything different before 'all men are created equal'?

it wasn't true because it was written down, lol, who but you would even assume such a ridiculous thing? Why would you even make that implication? Is everything okay? Are you drunk? Because you and I have had this convo so many times, I wonder why I have them with you at all.

it became more and more true over time, the time of the very first born between 1790-1820 American generation. as those born into it and educated by it. students studied their Declaration of Independence in school, perhaps every single school? , gee whiz, when did the abolitionist movement start Mets? immediately after that generation graduated, late 1820's! Oh wow, you probably will say that's just a coincidence? and you think that would have happened without 'all men are created equal'?

We made it more true, and more true and more truer, to this day, still making it truer. so why is it Mets you only feel more and more guilt? Aren't you at least a little bit proud? What other country has so much diversity in it's government?
Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:17 am

newsflash Mets. Yes, it takes a while for an idea to spread into action. They didn't tweet it out ya know. Guess what, they didn't have telephones either. yeah, it took a while.....so you argue because it takes a while for the idea to be learned studied debated and to turn into action, the origin of the idea as it was first written on paper should get zero credit and the author has to be proven to mean it??? "hey, what is the evidence you mean what you write Mets? produce it at once! or else that proves you are a fake!" LMAO get real

The quotation "All men are created equal" has been called an "immortal declaration", and "perhaps the single phrase" of the American Revolutionary period with the greatest "continuing importance". Thomas Jefferson first used the phrase in the U.S. Declaration of Independence. It was thereafter quoted or incorporated into speeches by a wide array of substantial figures in American political and social life in the United States. The final form of the phrase was stylized by Benjamin Franklin.
Major Phatscotty

Postby mrswdk on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:34 am

Phatscotty wrote:What other country has so much diversity in it's government?

The are few/zero countries which are quite as racially diverse as America, and so a larger volume of ethnic minority politicians in the US government is not really much of an achievement in itself*. For an accurate comparison that would show us whether or not America's political structures show relatively high levels of inclusiveness, the ethnic make up of America's government would need to more closely reflect the ethnic make up of society than the ethnic balances of governments in other countries do. Does it?

China is home to 50 different ethnic groups, all of whom are represented fairly heavily at local level (albeit fairly sparsely in central government). Most ethnic minorities have their own autonomous regions with their own ethnic governments. Is China's government more inclusive than America's? Hooray for China's egalitarian society! \(^0^)/

*prior to going back and editing your post, your stated reason for saying that America's government is diverse was that it contains 22 ethnic groups. Seeing as you've retracted that without offering a different reason, for the time being we'll just assume that this is your evidence for making such a claim.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Instantly? Instantly? pfff who said that???? you are really somethin mets! wow! Hey, do you ever remember me saying, like 5 or 6 times over these years, 'it's like these white guilters think there was just an on/off switch for slavery that the founders were just supposed to push'

The question I asked is, where is the evidence that the founders actually believed that all men are created equal, given that most white men and virtually all black men couldn't participate in their government at the time the Constitution was written? Instead of an invective about how awesome it was that the US (like basically every other country) eventually ended slavery, can you actually answer the question I asked?

The mistake you are making is in assuming that all of the people who opposed slavery did it because they believed blacks were equal to whites. Jefferson wanted the end of slavery, but himself was a slaveholder, so it's unlikely he really believed that. Lincoln also thought blacks should be removed from the US and returned to Africa. So there were economic and social reasons for people to oppose slavery at the time, in addition to the human rights reasons, and it seems that many people did hold those former reasons. We shouldn't whitewash it and pretend that they had the same ideals we now hold. That is, politicians lie today, and it seems just possible that politicians could have lied back then too.

it became more and more true over time, the time of the very first born between 1790-1820 American generation. as those born into it and educated by it. students studied their Declaration of Independence in school, perhaps every single school? , gee whiz, when did the abolitionist movement start Mets? immediately after that generation graduated, late 1820's! Oh wow, you probably will say that's just a coincidence? and you think that would have happened without 'all men are created equal'?

The roots of the anti-slavery movement stretched back well before the Declaration of Independence, and indeed by around 1800 basically all of the northern states had made slavery illegal. We normally call "abolitionism" the movement to end slavery in the entire country, but in fact by the time those students had become adults in the 1820s, the arguments against slavery (in the North) had been well established for at least a generation. So no, it's not a coincidence, it actually runs the other way from what you want to claim. In other words, you do actually need to provide evidence for your claim instead of just assuming that students read the Declaration of Independence every single school day. (I know that asking you for a source is like pulling teeth, but whatever. We force students to read their math textbook every day but some people still pull out their cell phone to calculate a tip, so I think asking for a source here is justified.)

We made it more true, and more true and more truer, to this day, still making it truer. so why is it Mets you only feel more and more guilt? Aren't you at least a little bit proud?

You constantly criticize people like me for being guilty about things that happened before I was born -- but if I have no right to be guilty, then you have no right to be proud.

What other country has so much diversity in it's government?

Couldn't quickly find data on racial diversity, but the US ranks 69th in the percentage of women in government. Behind Afghanistan.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:What other country has so much diversity in it's government?

The are few/zero countries which are quite as racially diverse as America, and so a larger volume of ethnic minority politicians in the US government is not really much of an achievement in itself*. For an accurate comparison that would show us whether or not America's political structures show relatively high levels of inclusiveness, the ethnic make up of America's government would need to more closely reflect the ethnic make up of society than the ethnic balances of governments in other countries do. Does it?

China is home to 50 different ethnic groups, all of whom are represented fairly heavily at local level (albeit fairly sparsely in central government). Most ethnic minorities have their own autonomous regions with their own ethnic governments. Is China's government more inclusive than America's? Hooray for China's egalitarian society! \(^0^)/

*prior to going back and editing your post, your stated reason for saying that America's government is diverse was that it contains 22 ethnic groups. Seeing as you've retracted that without offering a different reason, for the time being we'll just assume that this is your evidence for making such a claim.

Hahaha, every time you " \(^0^)/," it just makes me rage!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:24 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
The question I asked is, where is the evidence that the founders actually believed that all men are created equal,

Nobody voted against it....Everybody voted for it but one. New York abstained, and certainly not because they didn't like the Declaration of Independence but because England massed their main fleet just outside NY harbor. They were scared, but they also had the most to gain.... But you will see here, just as was noted at the time, documented to history, that South Carolina was reluctant to sign, but signed.

Metsfanmax wrote:You constantly criticize people like me for being guilty about things that happened before I was born -- but if I have no right to be guilty, then you have no right to be proud.

I may have to concede that point, upon further exploration..... Care to tell us what exactly it is you are guilty about?
Major Phatscotty

Postby warmonger1981 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:50 am

First of all many of the founders were Masons. The basic beliefs of Masons is that the majority of the public are uneducated and need to be molded into a perfect person under the direction of the Supreme Architect. Regardless of race these people view non-masons as rough Ashlar, rude in its natural state or unorganized. It is the Masons duty to make or mold the public into a perfect cube. Whether by force or coercion. Remember they are enlightened and we are not according to them. BTW I don't think the History channel would be a good source for unbiased documentaries. Hell I was watching a documentary on Jesus and they were showing a picture of the famous 'as above, so below' the dictum of Hermes Trismegistus. WTF does that have to do with Jesus who came hundreds of years before?
Captain warmonger1981

Postby warmonger1981 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:52 am

If we are talking about race does anyone know about Dr. Kenneth Clark and his doll experiments on black children in the 50's?
Captain warmonger1981

Postby _sabotage_ on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:04 am

The as above so below has counterparts in much older religions than Christianity. I agree with you about the bias of History channel.

When I was the only white kid in my class, I won the Susan B Anthony award, as voted by my classmates. When I first heard of the doll experiment, I thought of that.
Metsfanmax
Killing a human should not be worse than killing a pig.

It never ceases to amaze me just how far people will go to defend their core beliefs.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby tzor on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Just when I was about to say where the heck are all the Americans in this thread!

When I see the words "honest conversation" in the "Babble-On Five" forum I generally either skip over it or just don't bother to reply. This just isn't the place for an "honest discussion."

I've been reading the book "Liberty, the God that Failed," by Christopher A. Ferrara. While it has nothing to do directly with "race" it does talk about the general deception of the various writers of the Age of Enlightenment which include many of the United State's Founding Fathers. So it is easy to take a lot of the writings of the Founding Fathers with a grain of salt.

And now for a joke: Two racists walk into a bar and accuse the bartender of racism.

The whole topic is so filled with smoke and mirrors that it's hard not to talk about the smoke and mirrors and not the actual topic. The people who are calling "racist" are typically the ones who themselves are racist and who depend on racism in order for those people to make an extremely comfortable living. The Democratic Party was the party of the KKK. Many of its highest members in Congress were former important members of the Klan.

This becomes important, because as I will point out, racism is only a minor problem compared to the real problem of the Liberal Progressive policies of the Democratic Party.

Let's not forget that the Democratic Party was the original party of Southern Slavery. In the north, the party dedicated its power towards bribing newly arriving immigrants to become loyal members of the Party (in New York this was especially true through an organization known as "Tammany Hall"). Combined with the notions of progressivism, the notion of the forced dependency of groups in order to get perpetual assured votes is a common tactic of the Democratic Party in urban centers. For a number of reasons, including racist motives, the Democratic Party set up these arrangements in a number of urban centers in the Black communities of those urban centers.

Knowing that the policies of the liberal progressives never work, those same people needed a way to keep the failing communities from revolting. To do this, one needs a common enemy. One also needs a "religious" angle as well. Thus the development of "Liberation Theology" and the painting of those outside the community as the ones causing the problems. For the black community, the outsiders were "racists." (While those Black Americans who escaped the trap of liberal progressive policies were considered "traitors" to the race.) Poverty leads to crime and as a result, black on black violence has reached near epic proportions. However, since the mainstream media is liberal progressive and thus this is against their narrative, this is generally unreported.

Since we can't address the cause of the violence (POVERTY caused by liberal progressive urban policies) the only solution is more smoke and mirrors. Instead of getting the youth to respect the law and law enforcement, they are taught to fear the law and the law enforcement. For many black youth, the local police are viewed in the same light as Jews in WWII would have treated the German Secret Police (or SS). Many people make a lot of money promoting this stereotype. Given this atmosphere, in a situation where violence (black on black) is common and an attitude that the cops racists out to get them, is it any wonder why violent confrontations between those who do not respect the law and despise those who have to enforce it and officers of the law?

A man was killed during an arrest in New York. This had nothing to do with race, although the man was black (as the arresting officer's supervisor who was at the scene the whole time was not only black but female). It does have a lot to do with the liberal progressive (and let's face it Communist because that was who he had actively supported throughout his whole life, both in Cuba and Nicaragua) mayor who decided that avoiding the cigarette taxes was so offensive that those who sold even individual cigarettes should be arrested. This man suffered a heart attack during the take down maneuver. (The progressive media jumped on his statement "I can't breathe" ... but this was not a choke hold and it should be pointed out that so many people fake this complaint during take down maneuvers that those who do stop the take down maneuver often find the situation reversed and the officer in a position where the assailant could do serious injury to the officer.)

Immediately the race profiteers sprung into action, whipping up the community once again in a highly predictable manner. (One of them apparently burns both ends of the candle as he organized a protest against the corporation who gives him a lot of money to host a show on their own network, literally stomping on the hand that feeds him.) In addition the mayor (who is known to violate almost every law that he strictly enforces on everyone else ... especially traffic laws) threw his own police under the bus. As a result, of the race profiteers, two officers were assassinated.

So can we have an "honest conversation?" Not if the racist race baiters have their way and that is what is happening. Bashing, (while a staple of this forum) isn't an "honest conversation."
Cadet tzor

Postby patches70 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Tzor, you make good and valid points. Though you should also consider that the police themselves contribute highly to-

Tzor wrote:For many black youth, the local police are viewed in the same light as Jews in WWII would have treated the German Secret Police (or SS).

I'm not a black youth but I also view the police in the same way. Sociopaths gravitate to become police officers. Sociopaths are not necessarily bent on murdering people, but sociopaths lack emotions, empathy and the ability to identify with others.
This leads to problems as one could imagine. The police view everyone as a criminal, potential criminal, are paranoid and armed. They also enjoy a particular shielding from the State from their own acts of criminality as well as having institutionalized coercion, whitewashing and covering up their misdeeds.
We tend to glorify the police and dismiss police brutality as isolated cases, but that is not correct. It's an institution now, based on harassing and milking the public of every dollar possible.

What was it that the police in NY did in response to the mayor and his stances? A virtual work stoppage as the revenues from ticketing have dropped 95% since the murdering of those two police officers.
The cops are saying that if a politician gives them any crap then the cops aren't going to collect any more money for the politicians. These municipalities depend on those revenues and this in itself is completely fucked up and not what the police are supposed to be used for. They are not supposed to be revenue collectors. But that's what they are now.

In the last days of the Roman empire you saw the same plundering of the Roman citizen, Roman armies sacking and plundering Roman cities. The police are not an arm for justice, but are another arm of revenue collecting. That makes them as bad and sometimes even worse than the tax man, which is equally hated.

What is the solution? I have no idea.
Private patches70

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Tzor, what evidence do you have that urban poverty is caused by liberal progressive policies?

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:Did i ever say it was a coincidence? I said that they are proportionally poorer than other ethnicities, but the concept of "black" is dumb by itself. If you are a second generation kenyan like obama what links you to a 10th generation afro american slave?

The concept of "African American" may be dumb, but the concept of "black" still has real relevance. Implicit association tests show that people -- even those who stridently insist they are not racist -- associate black skin color with negative concepts. It is true for me -- I instinctively feel just a little less safe if I see a black person in a parking lot than a white person. This is true even though I rationally tell myself that it is stupid to feel that way. It is part of how I have been conditioned, and I am not even sure why it happens.

Sticking with people that are similar to you seems to be something that humans naturally do. Therefore a little bit of racism seems to be inevitable unless we actively train ourselves to reach out to those who are different from us. The burden isn't just on black people -- it's also on white people, who generally only hang out with other white people.

This is not true. If you see a big black guy with shady looks you will probably feel less safe than if you see a small white guy with glasses and a necktie in that parking lot. But if you see a big white guy with shaddy looks you will probably not feel safer than seeing a big black guy with shaddy looks.

Regarding hanging out together: it s very rare to be in a party with just white people in france. There s always some black, arab, asian or mixed races. Most french people go to public school because they aren t so bad, and you got a bit of everything there. So we all grow up with some old black/arab/asian high school friends, there is also a lot of mixed race couples. I think there s just the people who try to blend in and the people who stay in their cummunitarism. They need to be part of the change.
Major betiko

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:46 pm

betiko wrote:This is not true. If you see a big black guy with shady looks you will probably feel less safe than if you see a small white guy with glasses and a necktie in that parking lot. But if you see a big white guy with shaddy looks you will probably not feel safer than seeing a big black guy with shaddy looks.

I don't know. In my experience I do think I've felt a little more unsafe in the in the latter situation, but I recognize that I could be wrongly convincing myself of that.

Regarding hanging out together: it s very rare to be in a party with just white people in france. There s always some black, arab, asian or mixed races. Most french people go to public school because they aren t so bad, and you got a bit of everything there. So we all grow up with some old black/arab/asian high school friends, there is also a lot of mixed race couples. I think there s just the people who try to blend in and the people who stay in their cummunitarism. They need to be part of the change.

I interact with minority groups all the time here. As a astronomer/physicist, I regularly talk to Indian, Chinese, and Pakistani people, among others. But black? I've met maybe one black astrophysicist in my entire life. Black people are incredibly underrepresented in my field. I did go to high school in a place with a lot of black students, but I recall back then that the white kids mostly hung out with each other and the black kids mostly hung out with each other. Some people intermingled, but I really didn't. I wish that I had.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,