Conquer Club

(Real) Football politics

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

(Real) Football politics

Postby KoolBak on Sun May 31, 2015 10:22 am

I am amazed this hasn't been beat to death here....not being a...soccer....fan, I found all this quite interesting; this is from www.politico.eu ; completely different from the viewpoint I assumed would prevail...interesting reead.

COPY:

Seven take-aways from the FIFA arrests
The beautiful game is an ugly monster.
By TUNKU VARADARAJAN 27/5/15, 7:39 PM CET Updated 28/5/15, 12:30 PM CET
There can’t be a single soccer fan anywhere in the world who didn’t have the sports-lover’s equivalent of a righteous orgasm on learning of the arrest at dawn — by the Swiss police — of seven FIFA senior officials. As of this writing, these men were being readied for extradition to the United States, where they will be prosecuted for “racketeering” — a fabulous word that is America’s greatest bequest to the lexicon of criminal justice.

Here are seven short take-aways from the episode, some reflective of hard fact, others, perhaps, of wishful thinking:

1. The pantheon of world soccer has a new hero. To the names of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Messi, add another: Loretta Lynch. The US attorney general, confirmed by the Senate just three weeks ago by the most un-soccer-like score of 56-43, is destined to go down as the most consequential woman in the history of the game. She has burst into the Augean stables of FIFA with a team of industrial cleaners, determined to rid the governing body of international soccer of its legendary filth.

2. FIFA has met its match … in the United States of America. Long after the world’s big banks were brought to heel by the recession and zealous prosecutors, one global body stood apart from the rest, a law unto itself, defiant in its scorn for transparency: FIFA. With its I’m opaque, what are you going to do about it? attitude, FIFA awarded the World Cups for 2018 and 2022 to Russia and Qatar, respectively, breathtaking decisions both. But if FIFA is a global behemoth, the US is an even bigger one. What America wants, America gets. It is hard to see how the soccer body will survive the Department of Justice’s charges without radical reform.

3. The award of World Cup hosting rights to Russia and Qatar will, before long, be nullified. No other outcome is possible, given that Switzerland’s attorney general has also announced an investigation into “suspicion of criminal mismanagement and of money laundering in connection with the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 Football World Cups.” Once Russia and Qatar are stripped of host status, the bidding process for both World Cups will have to start afresh. We could soon have — hallelujah! — the first totally transparent selection process in the history of FIFA.

4. Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, is seeking a fifth term at the body’s helm. This is unlikely, and, conceivably, the only term he faces now is probably one in jail. If the Swiss investigation runs its course and finds criminal mismanagement, the tainted buck must stop at Blatter. Putinesque in his concentration of power, he doesn’t delegate decisions, and his inflexibly dirigiste methods could come back to bite him. Not for him the defense that he didn’t know what was going on. Blatter is the least-loved man in the history of the Beautiful Game, and words like “poobah,” “pasha,” “panjandrum,” and “dictator” are regularly deployed in descriptions of him.

5. Vladimir Putin will go apoplectic on this issue. If Russia’s hosting rights are withdrawn — as they must be, and as they should have been already after his invasion of sovereign Ukraine — he will treat the legal assault on FIFA as an assault on Mother Russia itself. There is already rumbling among Russians of a Department of Justice conspiracy to rob them of the World Cup. Brace for an almighty political crisis, with a boycott by Russia of the next World Cup.

6. There remains the unlovely question of Qatar, which was awarded the 2022 Cup in a decision that was a disgrace at every level. The weather is so hot in Qatar in the summer that the World Cup there is to be rescheduled to the winter months, devastating Europe’s soccer leagues which take place at the same time. A significant pedigree in the game had, heretofore, been a sine qua non in a host: Yet Qatar has no soccer history to speak of. Most distressing of all has been the manner in which Qatar has gone about preparing its infrastructure for the Cup, with stadiums built by indentured workers from the Indian sub-continent, toiling for a pittance in unsafe and unsanitary conditions, and dying by the hundreds. Put flagrant corruption to one side: For its execrable human rights record alone, Qatar should be stripped of the Cup.

7. FIFA will have to be rebuilt from scratch. An opaque boys’ club that was founded in an era when the game was less global and the money negligible is unsuited for the management of a sport whose income makes the eyes water. A small committee of respected figures — British judges, Swedish prime ministers, and the like — should be convened to come up with a new blueprint for FIFA. The organization needs to be thoroughly and mercilessly un-Blattered.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Re: (Real) Football politics

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 am

KoolBak wrote:
article wrote:4. Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, is seeking a fifth term at the body’s helm. This is unlikely,

The article is only 3 days old, but already it has been overwhelmed by events. Step Ladder has indeed been re-elected to a fifth term, and the author's prediction to the contrary now is obvious as wishful thinking. It will take longer, but I suspect in the end all his other predictions will also be shown to be wishful thinking.

Not that I'm unsympathetic, but
  • corruption rarely declines, in any field of endeavour. Rather, it becomes refined and less in-your-face over time, but the dollar amounts do not decline.
  • Radical overhauls of international organisations inevitably run up against the fact that there are just too many factions with too many opinions. The ones opposed to change will dig in their heels, while the ones in favour of change will fail to agree on exactly how to proceed, and the end result will be some cosmetic tinkering and not much real change.
  • Extremely unlikely that Russia will lose the cup. Europe is already treading on thin ice with its largest trading partner and can't afford to piss off the Russians too much more, while Russia still commands tons of friends in Africa and Asia.
  • Qatar is in a bit more danger of losing the cup, but again organisational inertia will probably save it. Liberals will protest the use of slave labour in Qatar, but because of its geographical isolation it's able to keep people out fairly easily, so the protests will be held in far-away places that the Qataris don't care about. In the end, it will fizzle like protests against Chinese repression in Tibet.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 am

I don't know why anyone cares about corruption in FIFA. It's an organization which arranges football matches, not the UN Security Council.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Sun May 31, 2015 11:51 am

Sounds like some crappy journalism from someone who knows nothing about football, and is interested only in writing propaganda.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby betiko on Sun May 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Why ask someone to write an article about something he clearly doesn t fully understand?

The fifa pisses on that attorney general and the 2018 and 2022 venues will not be reconsidered, no chance.

And good call on blatter not being reelected lol.

Just take the CIO for the olymics... Pretty much the same shit and the same corruption when it comes to elect a venue. You have to deal with corrupt third world countries that give votes, with corrupt as hell federation presidents. if you aren t going to bribe them your competitor will.
Major betiko

Postby Lootifer on Sun May 31, 2015 6:12 pm

mrswdk wrote:I don't know why anyone cares about corruption in FIFA. It's an organization which arranges football matches, not the UN Security Council.

Surely you jest?
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby KoolBak on Sun May 31, 2015 7:49 pm

The writer's viewpoint surprised me...I get the feeling it is unique....and wrong.....lol
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby mrswdk on Sun May 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Lootifer wrote:
mrswdk wrote:I don't know why anyone cares about corruption in FIFA. It's an organization which arranges football matches, not the UN Security Council.

Surely you jest?

Nope. FIFA is indeed a body which organizes football matches. One of the Fs actually stands for 'football' - you can look it up!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby 2dimes on Sun May 31, 2015 10:52 pm

I blame the American voters. If John McCain won instead of Obama he would bomb them.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby tzor on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:50 pm

As reported in another thread Sheep Bladder Sepp Blatter has resigned.

Cadet tzor

Postby Lootifer on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:22 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Lootifer wrote:

Surely you jest?

Nope. FIFA is indeed a body which organizes football matches. One of the Fs actually stands for 'football' - you can look it up!

It was more a question of you not thinking FIFA matter...

I'd argue that FIFA have FAR more control over the great unwashed masses than any other single entity in the world. Sure they don't have guns (metaphorical or otherwise) but their influence is undeniable.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:58 pm

How does FIFA matter? And why does it matter if some FIFA execs embezzle a bit of money from the organization?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 am

mrswdk wrote:How does FIFA matter? And why does it matter if some FIFA execs embezzle a bit of money from the organization?

fifa is supposed to be a non profit organization. Blatter's salary is 2 million dollars a month.

Blatter's nephew's company, which had the rights of tv for world cups I believe was sold to a chinesse for over 1000 million dollars.

for each event, for instant America Cup, the fifa representative gets about 20 million dollars in bribes for the transmission rights.

Fifa is simply being used by these people to get rich illegally.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 am

nietzsche wrote:
mrswdk wrote:How does FIFA matter? And why does it matter if some FIFA execs embezzle a bit of money from the organization?

fifa is supposed to be a non profit organization. Blatter's salary is 2 million dollars a month.

Blatter's nephew's company, which had the rights of tv for world cups I believe was sold to a chinesse for over 1000 million dollars.

for each event, for instant America Cup, the fifa representative gets about 20 million dollars in bribes for the transmission rights.

Fifa is simply being used by these people to get rich illegally.

I just Googled that thing about Sepp Blatter's nephew and found stories about Blatter scratching his nephew's back that are more than 5 years old. Football fans the world over have known for years that FIFA does that kind of crap, and yet they continue to hand money to FIFA in order to buy match tickets, go to world cups and watch games on TV. They clearly care more about watching football than they do about what Blatter and his friends do with their money.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 am

i dont see what your point is. are you pulling a metsfanmax (arguing for sport)?

everybody knew this, except this time they angered someone who could do something about it. Fifa is supposed to use the money to help nations develop the sport.

nobody is going to stop watching games, thats for sure, an my main concern right now is that the Centennial America Cup in USA in 2016 gets cancelled.

We still need to wait to see if Switzerland will extradite the indicted to the US.
General nietzsche

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:06 am

nietzsche wrote:i dont see what your point is. are you pulling a metsfanmax (arguing for sport)?

everybody knew this, except this time they angered someone who could do something about it. Fifa is supposed to use the money to help nations develop the sport.

nobody is going to stop watching games, thats for sure, an my main concern right now is that the Centennial America Cup in USA in 2016 gets cancelled.

We still need to wait to see if Switzerland will extradite the indicted to the US.

I'm pulling an 'I don't give a shit about this issue and don't understand why other people do'.

This seems like the sort of issue that can be self-policed by FIFA, its sponsors and football fans, without the need for people like the FBI to be wasting their time getting involved.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:37 am

mrswdk wrote:
nietzsche wrote:i dont see what your point is. are you pulling a metsfanmax (arguing for sport)?

I'm pulling an 'I don't give a shit about this issue and don't understand why other people do'.

This seems like the sort of issue that can be self-policed by FIFA, its sponsors and football fans, without the need for people like the FBI to be wasting their time getting involved.

the issue here is to whom does football belong to. These characters have football kidnapped. They give themselves the salary they want, spend the money lavishly, collect bribe money and decide where is the world cup played, the biggest event in the world. There are recordings of the executive comitte asking for bribes for the Russia WC and there are testimonies of members of the executive comitee asking and receiving bribes for the Qatar WC.

The WC becomes also a political tool, as we saw in Brazil, will see in Russia and I dont know much about Qatar.

Not to mention they get the biggest bribes for the television rights. The crimes are money laundering, wire fraud and another I don't remember.

Blatter defied everyone.

Watch the espn E:60 documentary, i believe it's in youtube.
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:43 am

Blatter fucked up by giving the 2022 WC to Qatar. Nobody wants it there. The climate sucks for a good spectacle. Now they moved it to December and still doesn't feel right.

The WOrld Cups in Southafrica and Korea-Japan sucked because its just not the same. Just see the difference with the WC in Brazil, where there's a passion for football.

This is all personal opinion. But regardless of that crimes were comitted and these idiots believe they own football. So f*ck them, be it the US or whomever, but take that power from them and make everything more democratic.
General nietzsche

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:59 am

re post 1: Kidnapping implies some sort of involuntary process. Fans, organizing bodies and sponsors the world over willingly give their money to FIFA and legitimize FIFA by listening to it and participating in its processes. If they don't like how FIFA operates they are free to stop funding and cooperating with it at any time.

re post 2: What was wrong with having World Cups in South Africa and Korea-Japan? Qatar is obviously a shitty choice because it's an inhospitable desert, but South Africa, Korea and Japan are all countries with suitable climates and in which football is reasonably popular.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:05 am

mrswdk wrote:re post 1: Kidnapping implies some sort of involuntary process. Fans, organizing bodies and sponsors the world over willingly give their money to FIFA and legitimize FIFA by listening to it and participating in its processes. If they don't like how FIFA operates they are free to stop funding and cooperating with it at any time.

re post 2: What was wrong with having World Cups in South Africa and Korea-Japan? Qatar is obviously a shitty choice because it's an inhospitable desert, but South Africa, Korea and Japan are all countries with suitable climates and in which football is reasonably popular.

re1: continue to argue this would be stupid

re2: corea japan sucked, they helped korea advance, and over the tv you didnt see any pasion, was simply boring for me, same with southafrica. as i said, it was a personal opinion. totally different from the WC in france, germany or brazil.
General nietzsche

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 am

mrswdk wrote:

If the cops aren't arresting thieves, then why keep paying their salaries?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:53 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

If the cops aren't arresting thieves, then why keep paying their salaries?

It's not really thievery when you voluntarily give your money to them.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Lootifer on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:58 am

So you are ok with corruption?

If I foe you will I stop seeing your posts?
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:58 am

nietzsche wrote:
mrswdk wrote:re post 1: Kidnapping implies some sort of involuntary process. Fans, organizing bodies and sponsors the world over willingly give their money to FIFA and legitimize FIFA by listening to it and participating in its processes. If they don't like how FIFA operates they are free to stop funding and cooperating with it at any time.

re1: continue to argue this would be stupid because I would lose

re2: corea japan sucked, they helped korea advance, and over the tv you didnt see any pasion, was simply boring for me, same with southafrica. as i said, it was a personal opinion. totally different from the WC in france, germany or brazil.

Meh. I saw the same enthusiasm you see at any World Cup. I don't see any reason why those countries shouldn't have had the World Cup.

And besides, the atmosphere you watch the game in is far more important than anything else in determining how much you enjoy the game. I watch last year's final in a bar that only had about 20 people in it and it was total bullshit. Seeing 50 Brazilians jumping around on the screen singing didn't really help.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:00 am

Lootifer wrote:So you are ok with corruption?

If I foe you will I stop seeing your posts?

If you wanna be that much of a puss puss about it.

I don't give any money to FIFA so I don't care in the slightest if they rig votes, take bribes or whatever else. If any of you give money to FIFA and are bothered by FIFA using it in this way then I suggest you stop giving money to FIFA. It's not rocket science.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,