Conquer Club

Atheists You Know...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Atheists You Know...

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:50 am

Ltrain wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Ltrain wrote:Of course you can be agnostic and atheist. But you can't have a semi religious atheist- again, by definition.

Of course you can. Atheism is just the lack of belief in God.

To be specific, atheism is believing that there are no deities with the same degree of certainty as a theistic person believes there is a deity/are deities.

Ltrain's position was that people who ascribe to the atheist position typically are more confident in it than people who ascribe to the theist position.

No I pretty clearly said they are the same to me.

When I said "theist" I didn't mean "Christian," I meant you.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Ltrain on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Ltrain wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Ltrain wrote:Of course you can be agnostic and atheist. But you can't have a semi religious atheist- again, by definition.

Of course you can. Atheism is just the lack of belief in God.

To be specific, atheism is believing that there are no deities with the same degree of certainty as a theistic person believes there is a deity/are deities.

Ltrain's position was that people who ascribe to the atheist position typically are more confident in it than people who ascribe to the theist position.

Look, I just looked back through your posts on this thread and you have just been disagreeing with my posts without ever stepping out there and giving your opinion on the matter. Which is fine, because I don't really care what your opinion is on religion. But I don't want to play anymore. As a result of your prying, I've already discussed my views on religion more than I intended to on a message board. I find anyone who tries to push their religious views on others to be out of line, and often when I hear atheists, whether it's a college sophomore or Bill Maher in Religulous, push their "no god" agenda, they seem to have no self awareness and I find them conceited, and annoying. That's it, the Black Jesus has spok.... oh wait that's not me.
Major Ltrain

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Ltrain wrote:Look, I just looked back through your posts on this thread and you have just been disagreeing with my posts without ever stepping out there and giving your opinion on the matter. Which is fine, because I don't really care what your opinion is on religion. But I don't want to play anymore. As a result of your prying, I've already discussed my views on religion more than I intended to on a message board. I find anyone who tries to push their religious views on others to be out of line, and often when I hear atheists, whether it's a college sophomore or Bill Maher in Religulous, push their "no god" agenda, they seem to have no self awareness and I find them conceited, and annoying. That's it, the Black Jesus has spok.... oh wait that's not me.

I'm confused. You can either be mad that I'm not pushing my atheist agenda on you, or you can be mad that I am pushing my atheist agenda on you, but you can't be both at the same time.

At any rate, I wasn't trying to have a discussion on whether one should believe in God. I was trying to have a discussion on whether atheists are more confident in their views than theists. Clearly you think that they are more confident in their views than you are in yours. But maybe that's just because they've thought about it more? Is it conceited for a physicist to say he understands physics better than you because he has spent more time thinking about it? If not, then why is it conceited for an atheist to say he understands religion better than you do because he's thought about it more?

I find anyone who tries to push their religious views on others to be out of line

You don't get to have private religious views. Religious views are a belief about the way the world actually is. You don't get to have your own opinion on this that others can't judge. It's either true or it's not.

Your view can only be consistent if you get mad when physicists go to message boards and say that no, you can't in fact build perpetual motion machines.

Who is more conceited: the person who puts their views out there to be challenged freely, or the person who insists that their views are above reproach and cannot be questioned by anyone?

Postby notyou2 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Who is more conceited: the person who puts their views out there to be challenged freely, or the person who insists that their views are above reproach and cannot be questioned by anyone?

Thank you for summing this up so eloquently.
Captain notyou2

Postby Ignoreme on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Mike1962 wrote:I believe in God. Thor is kind and just. And he does not have all the rules that the christian god has. And speaking of the christian god, why do so many believe, but they all believe something different? Different buildings to pray in. Different days they have to do different things on? Exactly how many christian gods are there? And if there's only one, which of the christian religions are correct?
With Thor, the god of thunder, you only need to worry about one thing....getting your ass out of the rain when all "hell" breaks lose.
Join us.

You got something against Woden? Thor is a rebellious little prick that should be brought to heel.

Ah hell. Now I have a religious war on my hands. Time to go all "Loki" on your ass. :D
Sergeant 1st Class Ignoreme

Postby Ltrain on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:You don't get to have private religious views.

I sure as hell do have that right. If I want to believe in a damn spaghetti monster that's my own business. And I will keep my personal relationship with a higher power or a lack of one and my belief or non belief to myself. An I believe those that do not to be conceited and or annoying. I don't know what about this is so hard for you to grasp, or why you have taken such issue with it?

You have somehow taken "conceited" to mean "more confident in their views" and have said something to that effect and tried to lure me away from my one and only point. I followed you down that rabbit hole for a while, and I really should've known better.

conceited: excessively proud of oneself; vain

Look, if someone is an atheist and keeps it to themselves, obviously I don't think they are conceited. Perhaps I could've been clear about that in my first one sentence post, but I really didn't expect to be scrutinized like this. I could have just as easily typed "annoying" instead of "conceited"

Consider this though. Who is more likely to get in someone else's business about religion? Someone who has a very strong belief or non belief, or someone who doesn't think you can't really know for sure? In my 35 years on this earth, I have never seen an agnostic get all up in someone's business about it. Usually they are the people in the middle of the atheist and the theist saying, "Guys, guys, guys settle down. Can we really know for sure? Let's have dessert." Maybe you have run into some incredibly outgoing agnostics in your life, I don't know. Then again I don't really understand why you have spent so much time going after me on this.
Major Ltrain

Postby Ignoreme on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:49 pm

As a true Atheists, and a liberal, I don't give a shit what any of you think. As long as your happy with what it is you believe and don't belittle others for what it is they do or do not believe.
Now...lets have dessert. Then a stiff drink. Then we can talk about, oh I don't know, how about POLITICS! :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class Ignoreme

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Ltrain wrote:

I sure as hell do have that right. If I want to believe in a damn spaghetti monster that's my own business. And I will keep my personal relationship with a higher power or a lack of one and my belief or non belief to myself.

You're entitled to your own views on religion literally in the most minimal sense that no one can put you jail for having those views. Beyond that is where your private opinions stop becoming entitled. You have absolutely no right to have your private views on the subject respected, because they're a statement about the world we all live in. I wouldn't respect you having completely nonsense views on the subject of chemistry. If you're going to live in the world that the rest of us live in, and you're going to think something about how that world works, then you're either right or you're not. If you're not right, why should anyone respect your continued holding of that position?

You have somehow taken "conceited" to mean "more confident in their views" and have said something to that effect and tried to lure me away from my one and only point. I followed you down that rabbit hole for a while, and I really should've known better.

conceited: excessively proud of oneself; vain

Look, if someone is an atheist and keeps it to themselves, obviously I don't think they are conceited.

That's because you don't know they're an atheist. For all you know, the vast majority of atheists say nothing about their perspective, and you're only hearing from a few.

So I bet if you did find that out about someone, you would think they're conceited, because you're tarring all atheists with the same brush. What makes someone conceited, that they have a view or that they tell other people about their views? If it's the latter, do you think physicists are conceited because they publish journal articles about physics?

Consider this though. Who is more likely to get in someone else's business about religion? Someone who has a very strong belief or non belief, or someone who doesn't think you can't really know for sure?

First, this is false equivalence. When atheists "get in someone else's business" about religion, usually that implies writing a strongly worded blog post or YouTube video. Once in a while a book gets published. Did you know that you could have freely chosen not to post at all in this thread, or even chosen not to respond to any of my posts? No harm would have come to your life. I wouldn't have tracked you down or PM'ed you, badgering you to explain yourself. Your participation in this thread is entirely voluntary. When religious people get involved in someone else's business, usually that implies saying they can't get married or have an abortion or have sex with each other.

Second, "you can't really know for sure" is a cop-out. The entire agnostic position is a cop-out. Why? Because in reality you either believe in god or you don't. If you are aware of religion and don't believe in it, you have made a conscious choice. You have implicitly said that the probability that the religious people are right about what they're saying is low enough that you can ignore it (either the probability that God exists, or the probability that there is any meaningful reward to belief, or both). That may not be the argument you actually make or the words you use, but your actions are what speak volumes in this case. So by their own actions, agnostics are effectively atheists. The only relevant difference is that agnostics are in denial about basic probability theory. (OK, OK, there's obviously some subtleties involved here, of the Pascal's Wager type, but I can basically guarantee that most agnostics haven't thought about it that hard.)

In my 35 years on this earth, I have never seen an agnostic get all up in someone's business about it.

Well, yes. If you think you know nothing about a subject, then it seems logical not to try to tell anyone your views, because you don't have any views. That doesn't make them extra respectable. I know very little about economics, so I don't go preaching to other people about whether they should prefer austerity policy or not. That doesn't make me a good person, it's baseline human decency. (Maybe good in a relative sense, because so few people have learned this basic skill.)

But if you do know something that someone else doesn't, and you have a good reason to understand it better than that other person, it doesn't make you conceited to try and explain it to them.

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:08 pm

notyou2 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Who is more conceited: the person who puts their views out there to be challenged freely, or the person who insists that their views are above reproach and cannot be questioned by anyone?

Thank you for summing this up so eloquently.

Aye, i tend to stay quiet in these threads now. If anyone wants my opinion, it's always "what mets said"
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby warmonger1981 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Mets wrote:
You're entitled to your own views on religion literally in the most minimal sense that no one can put you jail for having those views.

So basically everything that anyone believes must be relative unless it's mathematically proven?

Mets wrote:
Beyond that is where your private opinions stop becoming entitled.

Who grants these entitlements? I would assume your not entitled to live under your current sercumstances and personal religious beliefs.

Mets wrote:

You have absolutely no right to have your private views on the subject respected, because they're a statement about the world we all live in.

Who grants these rights to private views? Does that then mean private views are null and void if you can't have a personal opinion? I suggest your views are null and void and you have no right to them because there based on the world we live in.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Ltrain on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Ltrain wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:The entire agnostic position is a cop-out. Why? Because in reality you either believe in god or you don't. If you are aware of religion and don't believe in it, you have made a conscious choice. You have implicitly said that the probability that the religious people are right about what they're saying is low enough that you can ignore it (either the probability that God exists, or the probability that there is any meaningful reward to belief, or both). That may not be the argument you actually make or the words you use, but your actions are what speak volumes in this case. So by their own actions, agnostics are effectively atheists. The only relevant difference is that agnostics are in denial about basic probability theory. (OK, OK, there's obviously some subtleties involved here, of the Pascal's Wager type, but I can basically guarantee that most agnostics haven't thought about it that hard.)

Fiiiinally. You expressed your opinion on the matter. You are atheist and you do not like agnostics. I am agnostic and I do not like atheists. In some worlds we get along, but in this one, we don't. Religion is not physics. It is not chemistry. Why it took 4 pages of badgering me before you finally came clean I have no idea.
Major Ltrain

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:09 pm

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Ltrain on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Image

maybe mets and i can agree that this is funny/true and call it a day :)
Major Ltrain

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:01 pm

I stumbled across this website reading about Indigenous Peoples around the world: http://www.peoplegroups.org/Default.aspx

It is essentially like an encyclopedia for evangelists to find peoples who have not yet heard or adopted the Gospel. e.g. http://www.peoplegroups.org/Explore/gro ... peid=20966

PEOPLE NAME: CHUT OF VIETNAM

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby clangfield on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 pm

All this is why apatheism is the way forward! No-one knows, so there's no point worrying. Stop caring! Stop thinking that it matters!
Just say "hang the sense of it" and try to keep yourself occupied. You'll be much happier.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am

Ltrain wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Ltrain wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Of course you can. Atheism is just the lack of belief in God.

Look, I just looked back through your posts on this thread and you have just been disagreeing with my posts without ever stepping out there and giving your opinion on the matter. Which is fine, because I don't really care what your opinion is on religion. But I don't want to play anymore. As a result of your prying, I've already discussed my views on religion more than I intended to on a message board. I find anyone who tries to push their religious views on others to be out of line, and often when I hear atheists, whether it's a college sophomore or Bill Maher in Religulous, push their "no god" agenda, they seem to have no self awareness and I find them conceited, and annoying. That's it, the Black Jesus has spok.... oh wait that's not me.

Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 am

Major Phatscotty

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:11 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
Ltrain wrote:

I sure as hell do have that right. If I want to believe in a damn spaghetti monster that's my own business. And I will keep my personal relationship with a higher power or a lack of one and my belief or non belief to myself.

You're entitled to your own views on religion literally in the most minimal sense that no one can put you jail for having those views. Beyond that is where your private opinions stop becoming entitled. You have absolutely no right to have your private views on the subject respected, because they're a statement about the world we all live in. I wouldn't respect you having completely nonsense views on the subject of chemistry. If you're going to live in the world that the rest of us live in, and you're going to think something about how that world works, then you're either right or you're not. If you're not right, why should anyone respect your continued holding of that position?

Not sure how much context I'm getting from the above statement but I was browsing and I'm pretty sure I disagree with it on a very basic level. You wouldn't respect someone if they had a completely nonsense view on chemistry? Why the hell not? Is knowledge or understanding of anything really a basis to respect anyone? "The world we live in" is such a subjective term, it's not even funny.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Ltrain wrote:

Not sure how much context I'm getting from the above statement but I was browsing and I'm pretty sure I disagree with it on a very basic level. You wouldn't respect someone if they had a completely nonsense view on chemistry? Why the hell not? Is knowledge or understanding of anything really a basis to respect anyone?

That's a misrepresentation of my statement. I didn't say that I would not respect a person because that person had nonsense views on chemistry; I said I wouldn't respect their views, in the sense that I wouldn't treat their views on the subject as worth listening to.

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

notyou2 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
notyou2 wrote:Why do religious people, many but not all, worry so much about what the guy next door is doing?

Why do they insist in forcing their views and beliefs on others?

Why do they insist only their view is correct?

Where did they get these ideas?

examples?

Seriously????

C'mon Scotty, you know what I'm talking about.

OK one word. Mormons. They typify all of this and there are lots of other religions and denominations doing the same.

No, I don't know what you are talking about. I know what you think, just asking for some specifics from your experience.

Not many Mormons around here, but there is a family that neighbors my aunt's house. I lived with her for 3 months and one night I had to call an ambulance because she had trouble breathing. The next day the Mormon neighbor knocked on my door and said 'I saw the ambulance last night and I hope everything is okay, Beatrice is a very nice woman and I have appreciated her friendliness.' Anyways, he brought over some cheese tortellini pasta dish for the family. She didn't want it when she got back home, so I ate it. Then I ate it again and again until this giant bowl was gone. DELICIOUS!

oh, and per that 'knock on the door'. I've never gotten it once in my life. I see it in media and hear about it all the time. Kinda boogie-manned out imo.

Major Phatscotty

Postby KoolBak on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 am

Get those frequently....the mormons mostly but some Jehovahs...

Was working on my truck in my driveway one time...body in the engine compartment...think I was installing new headers....anyway, was totally focused and trying to get a damn hidden bolt in and someone pipes up RIGHT next to me something like "Excuse me, can I speak to you about God?"....ferking scared the SHIT outta me, dropped the bolt, reared up, smacked my fooking head and started cursing a blue streak....look on her face was classic. Told her I went to a catholic school and had no time for her bullshit, and, by the way, you're TRESPASSING....didn't you see the sign??? And my doberman has to come out to pee and he's hun gry and GET THE f*ck OFF MY PROPERTY cause I need a bandage for my HEAD, you freak....

Anyway....thots from an agnostic ;)

(went to catholic college cause my g-friend was there...nuff said....lol
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 am

I saw a street stall of the JW's the other week in San Francisco. Their current message is that if you're depressed, the answer is to talk to the JW's and hear their message.
SO... the world's about to end, and almost everybody is going to hell to be tortured for all eternity.
Ah, I feel better now. Depression all gone.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:18 am

This will cheer you up.
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173081
Darkness
By Lord Byron (George Gordon)

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went—and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their desolation; and all hearts
Were chill'd into a selfish prayer for light:
And they did live by watchfires—and the thrones,
The palaces of crowned kings—the huts,
The habitations of all things which dwell,
Were burnt for beacons; cities were consum'd,
And men were gather'd round their blazing homes
To look once more into each other's face;
Happy were those who dwelt within the eye
Of the volcanos, and their mountain-torch:
A fearful hope was all the world contain'd;
Forests were set on fire—but hour by hour
They fell and faded—and the crackling trunks
Extinguish'd with a crash—and all was black.
The brows of men by the despairing light
Wore an unearthly aspect, as by fits
The flashes fell upon them; some lay down
And hid their eyes and wept; and some did rest
Their chins upon their clenched hands, and smil'd;
And others hurried to and fro, and fed
Their funeral piles with fuel, and look'd up
With mad disquietude on the dull sky,
The pall of a past world; and then again
With curses cast them down upon the dust,
And gnash'd their teeth and howl'd: the wild birds shriek'd
And, terrified, did flutter on the ground,
And flap their useless wings; the wildest brutes
Came tame and tremulous; and vipers crawl'd
And twin'd themselves among the multitude,
Hissing, but stingless—they were slain for food.
And War, which for a moment was no more,
Did glut himself again: a meal was bought
With blood, and each sate sullenly apart
Gorging himself in gloom: no love was left;
All earth was but one thought—and that was death
Immediate and inglorious; and the pang
Of famine fed upon all entrails—men
Died, and their bones were tombless as their flesh;
The meagre by the meagre were devour'd,
Even dogs assail'd their masters, all save one,
And he was faithful to a corse, and kept
The birds and beasts and famish'd men at bay,
Till hunger clung them, or the dropping dead
Lur'd their lank jaws; himself sought out no food,
But with a piteous and perpetual moan,
And a quick desolate cry, licking the hand
Which answer'd not with a caress—he died.
The crowd was famish'd by degrees; but two
Of an enormous city did survive,
And they were enemies: they met beside
The dying embers of an altar-place
Where had been heap'd a mass of holy things
For an unholy usage; they rak'd up,
And shivering scrap'd with their cold skeleton hands
The feeble ashes, and their feeble breath
Blew for a little life, and made a flame
Which was a mockery; then they lifted up
Their eyes as it grew lighter, and beheld
Each other's aspects—saw, and shriek'd, and died—