Conquer Club

Tramps

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tramps

Postby mrswdk on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Have you ever given money, or anything else, to a tramp?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Tramps

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Of course.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Bernie Sanders on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Do not like the term "tramp".

Anyone who has lived or work in any major city has been approached by someone asking for money [let's not include robbers and such]. I'm sure most of us have given a dollar or two.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby KoolBak on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:33 pm

When its cold out, it's nice to heat the coins up with a blowtorch before you toss them out the window :D
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby / on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:46 am

Bernie Sanders wrote:Do not like the term "tramp".

Me neither, it's just too vague. Are we talking about vagabonds? Floozies? Both?

...Cargo vessels?
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby mrswdk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:00 am

‘Vagabond?' I was assuming everyone in OT is under 150 years old, but maybe there are a couple of people in here who've given a copper or two to a street urchin on their way to market before.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:14 am

From myplay "Wotcha !Gotcha!"...

​WIGGINS
Well, what can I do for yer, Mr Leopold?
LEO
I've seen you talking to the Great Detective, haven't I? I believe you must be one of his"irregulars", the street-urchins he employs to help him with his investigations. Would that assumption be correct?
WIGGINS
'Ere - I know what a "Street" is, but what's an"urchin" when it's at 'ome?
LEOPOLD
I'm not entirely sure. Some sort of sea-creature if I'm not in error.
WIGGINS
Then wot's it doin' on the streets of London? Streets,which [imitating Leopold's accent]if one is not mistaken, are not exactly known for their quality of being subaqueous?
LEOPOLD
I'm afraid you have me stumped there, Mr Wiggins. It's just something they say.
WIGGINS
Oh, "they" say all sorts of things.
LEOPOLD
Yes, "they" do, don't "they"'
WIGGINS
"Get lost!" "Stop, thief!" and "get out of here, you scruffy so-and-so" are what the likes of YOU usually says to the likes of ME. Us "street-urchins", that is.
LEOPOLD
I'm most dreadfully sorry, Mr Wiggins,and I humbly apologize for inadvertently insulting you. But the truth is, sir, that I need your help.
WIGGINS
That's the first time anyone's called me "Mr Wiggins", and the second time anyone's ever called me "sir". That buys you me attention fer the two minutes it takes me to decide if you're one horse short of a Hansom cab ride.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:38 am

/ wrote:

Me neither, it's just too vague. Are we talking about vagabonds? Floozies? Both?

...Cargo vessels?

mrswdk wrote:‘Vagabond?' I was assuming everyone in OT is under 150 years old, but maybe there are a couple of people in here who've given a copper or two to a street urchin on their way to market before.

Vagabond is a perfectly normal word in common usage among those who are not completely illiterate. Nonetheless, you still haven't answered the question. What types of tramps, specifically, are you referring to? Are we talking "tramps" in the sense of ladies of ill repute, or "tramps" in the sense of vagabonds. And if vagabonds, do you mean hobos or bums or both?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:31 am

Shit... i thought this thread was about Tramp Stamps...-Jésus noir

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby mrswdk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
/ wrote:

...Cargo vessels?

mrswdk wrote:‘Vagabond?' I was assuming everyone in OT is under 150 years old, but maybe there are a couple of people in here who've given a copper or two to a street urchin on their way to market before.

Vagabond is a perfectly normal word in common usage among those who are not completely illiterate. Nonetheless, you still haven't answered the question. What types of tramps, specifically, are you referring to? Are we talking "tramps" in the sense of ladies of ill repute, or "tramps" in the sense of vagabonds. And if vagabonds, do you mean hobos or bums or both?

I'm talking about tramps in the 21st century meaning of the word.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:50 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
/ wrote:

...Cargo vessels?

I'm talking about tramps in the 21st century meaning of the word.

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/204517?rskey=c7Cj7L&result=1#eid

oed online wrote:
    1. An act of tramping; a heavy or forcible tread, a stamp; hence, an injury to the foot of a horse caused by its setting one foot on another
    2. More fully axle tramp. Alternate bouncing of wheels on the same axle.
  1. The measured and continuous tread of a body of persons or animals; hence, the sound of heavy footfall
    1. A bout of tramping or journeying on foot; a long, tiring, or toilsome walk or march; a trudge; a walking excursion
    2. on (the) tramp, on one's way from place to place on foot, esp. in search of employment, or wandering as a vagrant.
    1. A person on the tramp; = tramper n. 2; one who travels from place to place on foot, in search of employment, or as a vagrant; also, one who follows an itinerant business, as a hawker, etc.
    2. slang (orig. U.S.). A sexually promiscuous woman.
    1. In full, ocean tramp: A cargo vessel, esp. a steamship, which does not trade regularly between fixed ports, but takes cargoes wherever obtainable and for any port.
    2. attrib., as tramp steamer, tramp vessel, tramp trade.
    3. An aircraft plying commercially according to demand. Also attrib.
    1. A plate of iron worn under the hollow of the boot to protect it in digging; also the part of the spade, etc., which is pressed upon by the foot.
    2. Curling. A piece of spiked iron fastened to the sole of the shoe to give a firm foot-hold on the ice.

As nearly as I was able to discern, no new meanings have been added in the 21st century. If you have any ability to answer a simple question without deceit and obfuscation, please choose one from the 19th and 20th century meanings listed above.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm

*pat on the head*
Lieutenant mrswdk

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,