Conquer Club

Best new fantasy/SF writers

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Best new fantasy/SF writers

Postby KoolBak on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:15 am

So...just read a new author's first book of his new trilogy....outsatnding. The Lightship Chronicles by Dave Bara....1st book was Impulse. Great action, hard sci fi, great characters. Can't wait for the second which is just out....

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18482440-impulse
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:52 am

waauw wrote:Ugh, I don't like Joe Abercrombie. I've only read the First Law trilogy, but I find him too much of a try-hard. He tries to come over as a great writer, but really I find his writing kind of sloppy compared to other popular writers. He made me think of a cheap YA-writer. The ending of the series was truthfully horrible. He needlessly dragged on for 80-ish pages what could've been done in 20, making it seem like the book had a double ending. There was really no purpose to it. It didn't feel like a climax, more like worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding rather than the actual storyline.

Interesting... I had a completely different response to the end of the First Law (other than that I thought the entire trilogy was too long). I liked his other books better. He wrote books kind of like Mel Gibson's war movie trilogy: Braveheart, Braveheart II (the American Revolution), and Braveheart III (the Vietnam War). Abercrombie wrote his fantasy trilogy, his war novel (The Heroes), his revenge novel (Best Served Cold) and his western (Red Country).

In any event, Abercrombie gets compared to Martin sometimes... I like him WAY more than Martin. He's a better writer and more creative.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
waauw wrote:Ugh, I don't like Joe Abercrombie. I've only read the First Law trilogy, but I find him too much of a try-hard. He tries to come over as a great writer, but really I find his writing kind of sloppy compared to other popular writers. He made me think of a cheap YA-writer. The ending of the series was truthfully horrible. He needlessly dragged on for 80-ish pages what could've been done in 20, making it seem like the book had a double ending. There was really no purpose to it. It didn't feel like a climax, more like worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding rather than the actual storyline.

Interesting... I had a completely different response to the end of the First Law (other than that I thought the entire trilogy was too long). I liked his other books better. He wrote books kind of like Mel Gibson's war movie trilogy: Braveheart, Braveheart II (the American Revolution), and Braveheart III (the Vietnam War). Abercrombie wrote his fantasy trilogy, his war novel (The Heroes), his revenge novel (Best Served Cold) and his western (Red Country).

In any event, Abercrombie gets compared to Martin sometimes... I like him WAY more than Martin. He's a better writer and more creative.

I kind of thought that with the First Law books, the length was part of the point. It was deliberately parodying fantasy books and demolishing expectations. Especially the idea of some great wizard led quest.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

I kind of thought that with the First Law books, the length was part of the point. It was deliberately parodying fantasy books and demolishing expectations. Especially the idea of some great wizard led quest.

Well I guess I see your point. Didn't think of it that way. Now that I think about it, Tolkien did just that in the Lord of the Rings, leading a group of fella's on a quest and then endlessly dragging on after the final battle. I guess I'm just not into the dark gritty stuff.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:15 pm

waauw wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Well I guess I see your point. Didn't think of it that way. Now that I think about it, Tolkien did just that in the Lord of the Rings, leading a group of fella's on a quest and then endlessly dragging on after the final battle. I guess I'm just not into the dark gritty stuff.

When I read the books, I think someone described it as being "Lord of the Rings, if Sauron had won"
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

The kind, wizened wizard
The brave, noble knight
The stupid, violent barbarian

I don't know which I liked the best (Best Served Cold or The Heroes).

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

The kind, wizened wizard
The brave, noble knight
The stupid, violent barbarian

I don't know which I liked the best (Best Served Cold or The Heroes).

Exactly. Though the standout character is still Glotka. Maybe the anti-gollum if going for full Tolkien comparison.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby KoolBak on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:30 am

Are we posting or bitching? I must be on everyones' ignore list.....

I've read 5 books in the last 4 days.....anyone else?

AND:

Postby waauw on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 am

KoolBak wrote:Are we posting or bitching? I must be on everyones' ignore list.....

Comicbooks don't count.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:00 pm

KoolBak wrote:Are we posting or bitching? I must be on everyones' ignore list.....

I read two today, but only one was relevant to the topic. Crappy Warhammer 40k book. Used to play as a kid, but occasionally I'm a sucker for the mythos. Occasionally the books are good. This one wasn't, but it's part of a series my local library has had in recently.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 am

I'm just gonna necrobump this one as I've been plowing my way through my library's SF and Fantasy section for a while, and not enjoyed anything overmuch for a while.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Great nerd book, especially if you grew up in the 80's. Plus it's a standalone book, so no need to wait for book 2.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 12, 2016 6:46 am

Symmetry wrote:I'm just gonna necrobump this one as I've been plowing my way through my library's SF and Fantasy section for a while, and not enjoyed anything overmuch for a while.

Great nerd book, especially if you grew up in the 80's. Plus it's a standalone book, so no need to wait for book 2.

I think you would like N.K. Jemisin.

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. He's pretty ponderous, but the books seem okay. And I like what he did with Wheel of Time. The last book was fantastic.

Postby KoolBak on Thu May 12, 2016 10:27 am

I'm halfway thru Destroyermen series (12 books)....similar to Philadelphia experiement where new (40's) ships get transported to a different earth....where the comet never wiped out dinos and different sentient species, at war, arose. Overwritten but excellent.

AND:

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu May 12, 2016 10:37 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm just gonna necrobump this one as I've been plowing my way through my library's SF and Fantasy section for a while, and not enjoyed anything overmuch for a while.

I think you would like N.K. Jemisin.

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. He's pretty ponderous, but the books seem okay. And I like what he did with Wheel of Time. The last book was fantastic.

The last book had the longest chapter of any book I've ever read. Granted, it was Tarmon Gaiden. Though ask hardcore WOT fans, and you'll get mixed reactions on his portrayal of certain characters. Like Mat.

That said, I do enjoy the Griffen McCandles Series.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu May 12, 2016 11:37 am

I bet Sanderson will end up finishing asoiaf once Martin dies.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu May 12, 2016 2:29 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I bet Sanderson will end up finishing asoiaf once Martin dies.

-TG

He may be a contender.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 pm

I've been reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy (i guess you can call it a trilogy). I'm on the second now, Year of the Flood. It's sort of sci-fi, with large government controlling corporations using gene-splicing products. Very end of the world type stuff.

-TG

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:42 am

Well, it seems the Temeraire series may be over. The last book gave a pretty definitive ending, all things considered. But I enjoyed it. The author really did do a lot of research for each book.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Donelladan on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 am

I didn't see anyone speak about David Gemmell here.
I read every fantasy book he wrote and liked all of them. ( he also wrote some historical novel, didn't read them).
Legend is his most famous book I think, you can start with this one.
I would also advise Dark Moon, Waylander, and the Rigante series ( 4 books).
But all his fantasy book are great imo.
It's easy to read, lot of actions so you are easily sucked into it and you can't close them once you start.
if you are looking for dark or complicated stuff you may not like them though.

Recently I read Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky , was a nice one, I'd recommand, first book I read from this author. The hero was a woman which change a bit.
Brent Weeks is a nice author, i've read all his books. There isn't so many yet, only 6. :)
If you wanna try a German author, I'll recomm and you The Dwarves by Markus Heitz. The first one is really good. The one after I didn't like them that much.
Kushiel by Jacqueline Carey, there is three trilogy. I've read only 2 of them. Really like the 1st. A bit less the 2nd.
The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan would also be worth your time.

But my favorite fantasy book is " L'ange du chaos" by Michel Robert. Unfortunately it seems it has not been translated or I couldn't find out the english title. If you speak french fluently you have to read it.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 am

Legend by Gemell is a good one. I tried another of his books, though, and couldn't get into it. I don't remember the title.

-TG

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 pm

There's that Jonesey guy. I hear his book's worth reading. The Dragon's Run is available online from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. hard copy or Kindle.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby tzor on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:57 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:There's that Jonesey guy. I hear his book's worth reading.

I've heard of him. 8-) I have it on my phone and it looks like I might have time this month to actually read it.
Cadet tzor

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 pm

tzor wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:There's that Jonesey guy. I hear his book's worth reading.

I've heard of him. 8-) I have it on my phone and it looks like I might have time this month to actually read it.

Definitely worth a read, I've read a lot of fantasy crap where everyone talks the same way. You can tell he's got an ear for voices.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Hey, if Tzor AND Symm agree on something, it's gotta be worth a look. "The Dragon's Run", Gareth John Jones.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,