Conquer Club

The Beijing Consensus - Europe agrees

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Beijing Consensus - Europe agrees

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:07 pm

mrswdk wrote:David Nutt is still allowed to conduct and publish that sort of research (and did so not long after being removed from his government post).

It's just a question of whether or not it is conducive to the public good to have senior government servants and ministers openly opposing government policy.

It is. Let's see what the British Department of Roads thinks:
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm

It's kinda like how if your partner is saying something stupid at a dinner party, then even if you know it's stupid you offer some vague gesture of agreement. Have you ever seen that episode of American Dad where Stan keeps getting embarrassed by the dumb things Francine says at parties and pushes her in the pool? And then comes to realize that he's being an ass, and starts taking her side even when she's being a moron? It's like that.

The same principle applies to government. How are you supposed to command respect, locally or internationally, if you allow cross-eyed party delegates to trip you up every time you try to pass a bill? Even if things are a bit of a mess behind the scenes, you need to present strength and unity to the outside world.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm

there is no outside world. democracy means people power.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 pm

waauw wrote:I think we can pretty much agree that there's a degree to freedom of speech:

USA----many european countries, not all----------China-----------North-Korea

10 countries with most freedom of speech:
  • 1)New zealand
  • 2)Australia
  • 3)UK
  • 4)Japan
  • 5)USA
  • 6)Estonia
  • 7)Portugal
  • 8)Uruguay
  • 9)Chile
  • 10)Jamaica

Now I can't find a list of the countries with the least freedom of speech, but I do remember reading it in some article. I don't remember all the countries but I know China is not in the top 10 but countries like Turkey, Cuba, Belarus and North-Korea are.

The Press Freedom Index is often a good indicator.

http://rsf.org/ranking
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
waauw wrote:I think we can pretty much agree that there's a degree to freedom of speech:

• 1)New zealand
  • 2)Australia
  • 3)UK
  • 4)Japan
  • 5)USA
  • 6)Estonia
  • 7)Portugal
  • 8)Uruguay
  • 9)Chile
  • 10)Jamaica

Now I can't find a list of the countries with the least freedom of speech, but I do remember reading it in some article. I don't remember all the countries but I know China is not in the top 10 but countries like Turkey, Cuba, Belarus and North-Korea are.

Good indicator, but not the same thing exactly. For instance your url shows Belgium as very press-free, however we also forbid racist organizations and political parties. We've had politicans convicted, parties broken up and organizations obstructed due to their racist nature, something I don't see happening any time soon in the US.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 pm

waauw wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

• 1)New zealand
  • 2)Australia
  • 3)UK
  • 4)Japan
  • 5)USA
  • 6)Estonia
  • 7)Portugal
  • 8)Uruguay
  • 9)Chile
  • 10)Jamaica

Good indicator, but not the same thing exactly. For instance your url shows Belgium as very press-free, however we also forbid racist organizations and political parties. We've had politicans convicted, parties broken up and organizations obstructed due to their racist nature, something I don't see happening any time soon in the US.

Sure, but those aren't really examples of restrictions on the press. But yes, you're right- it's only an indicator.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Symmetry wrote:Sure, but those aren't really examples of restrictions on the press. But yes, you're right- it's only an indicator.

Huh? Did I misunderstand the topic? I thought it was about freedom of speech not freedom of the press in specific.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 pm

waauw wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Sure, but those aren't really examples of restrictions on the press. But yes, you're right- it's only an indicator.

Huh? Did I misunderstand the topic? I thought it was about freedom of speech not freedom of the press in specific.

I misread your post, thinking your examples were following on from the previous sentence. Apologies.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 am

Ah. So Symmetry is not a troll who likes to deliberately twist people's views and put words in their mouths, just a guy who struggles to follow a post from one sentence to the next without getting confused. We should all offer him our support and sympathy.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,