Conquer Club

Nostradamus

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you believe that Nostradamus was

Total votes : 0

Nostradamus

Postby Serbia on Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 am

Nostradamus- some people believe he is the greatest future teller that was ever born. I dont believe that. I think all predictions he made were just a load of bullshit, and people that believe in them are just weak, and in need of a new "god". He, intentionally, used vague vocabulary that can be applied to any tragic event in our history. I think Nostradamus is such a big deal these days just because some people choose to apply events that have already happened to his quantiles. And the fact that he left out something as important as the Stock Market Crash of 1928, and the great Depression, puts me into even more doubt about his prophet powers.
His most recent theory, that is being applied today, is we are all going to die in 2012 ( or something like that) cause Earth will be hit by a huge ass comet.
Now, I ask you, do you believe in this horse shit or do you stand on my, logical side :D ?
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Re: Nostradamus

Postby tzor on Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 am

First of all, his name was "Michel de Nostredame" ... he went from medicine and into the occult. He was cryptic enough to be taken seriously by the rich and powerful at the time; enough to earn him a living.

I wouldn't consider him the best charlatan ... Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin was clearly a far more powerful one.
Cadet tzor

Postby 2dimes on Sun May 22, 2016 1:04 pm

His Hister prediction was pretty close.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 22, 2016 1:50 pm

2dimes wrote:His Hister prediction was pretty close.

Quote it.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Sun May 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Bestes farouches de faim fleuves tranner,

Plus part du camp encontre Hister sera:

En caige de fer le grand sera treisner,

Quand rin enfant de Germain observera.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby tzor on Sun May 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Hister (genitive Histri) is the Latin name for the Danube (especially its lower course), or for the people living along its banks.

Beasts wild with hunger shall cross the rivers:
Most of the fighting shall be close by the Hister [Danube],
It shall result in the great one being dragged in an iron cage,
While the German shall be watching over the infant Rhine.

This is often interpreted to be a prediction of the war against Adolf Hitler's Nazi state in the twentieth century. However, none of the reputable sources listed support this view. In fact all of them point out that the name 'Hister' (as Nostradamus himself explains in his Almanac for 1554[2]) in fact refers in his writings to the Danube, being mentioned (as elsewhere[3]) alongside 'R[h]in' (Rhine) -- two rivers that formed the north-eastern frontier of the ancient Roman Empire. Un bien sçavant homme dans ce dernier quart se pourmenant le long de la riviere Hister dite Danube, he writes at Prose Presage 222, la terre se parfondant, dans ladite riviere se perdra ('A very scholarly man during this last quarter, while walking along the river Hister known as Danube, the ground subsiding, in the said river shall be lost'). This is evidently based on a historical incident described by Nostradamus himself in his Traité des fardemens (Proem, p. 19, 1552), involving one Gaspar Ursinus Vellius consellier à Vienne en Austriche, qui un soir soy pourmenant le long du Dannube la terre se fendit, & tumba & se nya ('a councillor at Vienna in Austria who one evening was walking along the Danube, the ground split apart and he fell in and was drowned').
Cadet tzor

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 pm

tzor wrote:

Hister (genitive Histri) is the Latin name for the Danube (especially its lower course), or for the people living along its banks.

Beasts wild with hunger shall cross the rivers:
Most of the fighting shall be close by the Hister [Danube],
It shall result in the great one being dragged in an iron cage,
While the German shall be watching over the infant Rhine.

This is often interpreted to be a prediction of the war against Adolf Hitler's Nazi state in the twentieth century. However, none of the reputable sources listed support this view. In fact all of them point out that the name 'Hister' (as Nostradamus himself explains in his Almanac for 1554[2]) in fact refers in his writings to the Danube, being mentioned (as elsewhere[3]) alongside 'R[h]in' (Rhine) -- two rivers that formed the north-eastern frontier of the ancient Roman Empire. Un bien sçavant homme dans ce dernier quart se pourmenant le long de la riviere Hister dite Danube, he writes at Prose Presage 222, la terre se parfondant, dans ladite riviere se perdra ('A very scholarly man during this last quarter, while walking along the river Hister known as Danube, the ground subsiding, in the said river shall be lost'). This is evidently based on a historical incident described by Nostradamus himself in his Traité des fardemens (Proem, p. 19, 1552), involving one Gaspar Ursinus Vellius consellier à Vienne en Austriche, qui un soir soy pourmenant le long du Dannube la terre se fendit, & tumba & se nya ('a councillor at Vienna in Austria who one evening was walking along the Danube, the ground split apart and he fell in and was drowned').

Thanks. I figured it would be something like that.

Some hungry animal will cross a river. There will be some fighting along the Danube. Someone famous will go to jail. The Germans will keep an eye on the Rhine.

Pretty safe predictions all. There's been fighting along the Danube at least once or twice a century for 4,000 years. Hungry animals go in search of food every day. Famous people go to jail on a reasonably regular basis. At least one every couple years, I'd say. The Germans watch the Rhine pretty much around the clock.

It's like your morning horoscope. "Today you may be offered a great opportunity in your career or in your love life." May Be. Oh, here comes the Human Resources supervisor. Will she offer me a promotion, or just a blowjob? Should I ask, or wait for her to offer?

In this case, someone desperate to prove that there really our supernatural forces shaping our world latched on to the purely superficial similarity between Hitler and Hister and spun it as a "prophesy proven." Except it isn't, really. Thanks to tzor we know that Hister refers to the Danube, which makes this much easier, but even without that tidbit this would be a bogus prediction. Hitler wasn't dragged away in a cage; he remained in power until the day of his death. The Rhine was relatively inconsequential in World War II; although there were some interesting battles along the Rhine, they were small potatoes. All the really important battles s took place other places.

Latching on to superficial similarities in words reminds one of the deluded people in Huxley's Brave New Worlds, who create a mashup of Sigmund Freud and Henry Ford based on the vague similarity of the names. A dangerous habit. There's a big difference between a duck and a duke, between a grape and a grope, and between a cock and a coke.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Mon May 23, 2016 5:59 am

well I'm no expert in old french, but those translations seem to be quite freestyle.
The guy just used broad stuff, and you have to be right many times when you say loads of crap.
He's from a small town close to where I'm from by the way.
Major betiko

Postby notyou2 on Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 am

Is he your great great great grandfather?
Captain notyou2

Postby tzor on Mon May 23, 2016 9:49 am

betiko wrote:well I'm no expert in old french, but those translations seem to be quite freestyle.

He also used a number of other languages in order to sound more impressive and mysterious. It also helped support his persecution complex.
Cadet tzor

Postby warmonger1981 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 pm

f*ck Nostradamus it's Negrodamus. Prophecy has spoken.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYnTfZ_mE5k
Captain warmonger1981

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,