Conquer Club

Duterte's violent torpedo of truth

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Duterte's violent torpedo of truth

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 am

US President Barack Obama has cancelled a meeting with controversial Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who had earlier called him a "son of a whore".

Mr Duterte was responding to the US president's promise to raise the issue of drug-related extra-judicial killings in the Philippines at their meeting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37281821
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Duterte's violent torpedo of truth

Postby riskllama on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 am

:shock:
whups, probly coulda used that US muscle in yer beef w/china, there, guy. doh!
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 am

What beef? Philippines and China done gone kissed and made up since Duterte became President.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

with a comment like that, can a flip flop on the Chinese problem be far behind? the guy has no inner monologue...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mandalorian2298 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am

riskllama wrote:with a comment like that, can a flip flop on the Chinese problem be far behind? the guy has no inner monologue...

Oh, you have no idea. While he was a mayor of Davos, there was a prison riot during which a female reporter was gang raped and killed. After the riot was over, Duterte said that the reporter was very beautiful and that it's unfair that he, as mayor, didn't get to go first.

On the other hand, who can you trust if not the the guy who says every damn thing that crosses his mind?
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby 2dimes on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:39 am

I'm with mandy, the mayor sounds like a straight shooter. Speaking of shooting. The whole thing with Obama, stems from people giving him a hard time, because of a lot of drug dealers getting shot and being "under investigation" which he is being criticized for, due to the suspected extra judicial nature of the incidents.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby riskllama on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:45 am

the philipines: officially off my travel bucket list
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:46 am

2dimes wrote:I'm with mandy, the mayor sounds like a straight shooter. Speaking of shooting. The whole thing with Obama, stems from people giving him a hard time, because of a lot of drug dealers getting shot and being "under investigation" which he is being criticized for, due to the suspected extra judicial nature of the incidents.

lol, 'suspected'? You mean you think there is a chance that when a drug dealer gets gunned down in the street by persons unknown, it might have been a legal killing?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby 2dimes on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

No, but don't let what I wrote slow you down from thinking I do.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Well if you do not think that there is any chance the killings were legal then that means you are sure the killings were illegal, and what you should have said was:

'a lot of drug dealers getting shot and being "under investigation" which he is being criticized for, due to the suspected extra judicial nature of the incidents.'

That one's free but my usual hourly rate for language tuition is roughly 25 USD.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm

mrswdk wrote:Well if you do not think that there is any chance the killings were legal then that means you are sure the killings were illegal, and what you should have said was:

'a lot of drug dealers getting shot and being "under investigation" which he is being criticized for, due to the suspected extra judicial nature of the incidents.'

That one's free but my usual hourly rate for language tuition is roughly 25 USD.

Good work! Now, how much would you charge to explain 'extra-judicial' to Symmetry?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

pass

Postby 2dimes on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:09 pm

I never said or wrote that I do not think there is any chance the killings were legal.

I think there is a very good chance some of the killings could have been legal, possibly some were. I also don't believe every one was done by "persons unknown."

My actual point is unlike those criticizing the mayor I don't care if they were extra judicial.

Legally until the investigation is closed they can only be called "suspected" as such.

Legal things are not always right and the right thing is not always legal.

Orenthal gets off because his leather gloves shrunk? Was there no one in that court that owned leather gloves? Some guy gets put in jail because he beat up a burglar?
Corporal 2dimes

Re: pass

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:50 pm

2dimes wrote:Legally until the investigation is closed they can only be called "suspected" as such.

No, legally they do not remain 'suspected' illegal killings until the case is closed. They remain 'illegal killings' for which no perpetrator has been prosecuted. Praise the lawd for American courtroom TV broadcasts - we may one day be treated to the sight of 2dimes going on trial and attempting to represent himself.

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Well if you do not think that there is any chance the killings were legal then that means you are sure the killings were illegal, and what you should have said was:

Good work! Now, how much would you charge to explain 'extra-judicial' to Symmetry?

I only vaguely recall that conversation and would rather devote what time I have left this evening to eating and watching YouTube videos :cry:
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: pass

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:11 pm

mrswdk wrote:
2dimes wrote:Legally until the investigation is closed they can only be called "suspected" as such.

No, legally they do not remain 'suspected' illegal killings until the case is closed. They remain 'illegal killings' for which no perpetrator has been prosecuted. Praise the lawd for American courtroom TV broadcasts - we may one day be treated to the sight of 2dimes going on trial and attempting to represent himself.

Dukasaur wrote:

I only vaguely recall that conversation and would rather devote what time I have left this evening to eating and watching YouTube videos :cry:

Understood. Such conversations cause me to lose my appetite also.

8-)
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mandalorian2298 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:52 pm

An odd thing about the term 'legal' is that it actually refers to whether an action is accordance with the laws of the land that it happened, not with laws of the country that you are from. For example, while I would consider the fact that a random moron could be walking around with a loaded firearm is appalling, there are actual countries which not only allow it but also provide permits for such behaviour.

In Philippines it is not only legal but also encouraged to kill drug dealers (not 'convicted drug dealers' mearly people who sell illegal drugs). This stems from President Duterte's belief that government should not strive to receive attaboy from governments of other countries, nor to ensure safety and 'fair game' to drug dealers; but to create a society where law-abiding citizens are safe from drug-related violence.

BTW if you think that this guy is some right wing nut, think again! (about the 'right wing', for good or ill he is certainly a nut by today's norms) This guy's days as the mayor of Davao City, while he did support extra-judicial killings of drug dealers and habitual drug users, also saw him opening 0-24 h drug rehabilitation center and offering a monthly allowance to all the drug users trying to quit. He also fought against any kind of discrimination, including discrimination against women, minorities, LGBT people and muslims; promoted literacy and refused his nomination for World Mayor Prize because "“Just like Marlon Brando, I did it because it was my job.”

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:05 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:In Philippines it is not only legal but also encouraged to kill drug dealers (not 'convicted drug dealers' mearly people who sell illegal drugs).

Wrong. It is being encouraged by the president, but it is not legal. The law regarding vigilante assassinations is just the same in Philipinnes as it is anywhere else (i.e. don't do them).

Just because the president likes to grab the mic and shout 'killing drug dealers, that's way cool!' doesn't mean walking up behind a dealer and shooting him in the head has suddenly become legal.
Lieutenant mrswdk

CSI Philippines.

Postby 2dimes on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 pm

I will continue to side with madilorian2112 until I survive a guy trying to shoot me in the Philippines at which point I'll put you on retainer.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mandalorian2298 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:51 am

mrswdk wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:In Philippines it is not only legal but also encouraged to kill drug dealers (not 'convicted drug dealers' mearly people who sell illegal drugs).

Wrong. It is being encouraged by the president, but it is not legal. The law regarding vigilante assassinations is just the same in Philipinnes as it is anywhere else (i.e. don't do them).

Just because the president likes to grab the mic and shout 'killing drug dealers, that's way cool!' doesn't mean walking up behind a dealer and shooting him in the head has suddenly become legal.

Wronger. Duterte's words ARE Philippine law! 8-)

But, if you are dead set on acknowledging only the law that has been written in books :roll: , then I am willing to concede that Duterte is just Batman (do I even have to explain?). That's how awesome this guy is: being Batman is his fallback option.

Thank you for the suport 2dums, and good luck with not getting shot in the Philippines.

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,