Conquer Club

Official Paralympics thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Official Paralympics thread

Postby mrswdk on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:17 am

Obviously I haven't been watching any of it, but Symmetry seems really keen on the Paralympics so I figured he at least would appreciate a thread to discuss them.

What event would you watch if you had to watch one? My pick would be the wheelchair skate park stuff, where they jump over ramps and launch themselves off half pipes.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Official Paralympics thread

Postby mrswdk on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:25 am

China currently no 1 in the Paralympics medals table, woooo.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:49 am

I would vote for Mrswdk for top "window licker"
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby riskllama on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 pm

quadriplegic blindfolded luge competition never fails to disappoint.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:42 pm

There is a muscularity about para-triathlete Joe Townsend, his arms tattooed and powerful, as the former Royal Marine Commando leans in to explain his thrill at triathlon being included at the Paralympic Games for the first time in Rio. He is sitting in a wheelchair. He lost both legs in 2008, when he stood on an improvised explosive device while on a morning foot patrol in Afghanistan. He was 20.

“I was 17 when I started training with the Royal Marines,” explains Townsend. “I passed out just shortly after my 18th birthday and was then deployed to Afghanistan in September 2007. I enjoyed my time out there. I was gutted when my incident happened and I had to leave, but it’s a bit like sport: you train for it and train for it and you’re happiest when you’re racing and you’re competing and doing what you trained for.”

Yes this was war, not sport. But injured servicemen have always had a special place at the spiritual heart of the Paralympic Movement. The Games began in Stoke Mandeville after the Second World War when neurosurgeon Sir Ludwig Guttmann created methods of rehabilitating paraplegic veterans with spinal injuries through sporting endeavour, taking many of those men away from anguish and suicidal thoughts.

Townsend takes up his story. “I was out in Afghanistan just shy of 5½ months and was coming towards the end of my tour when I stepped on the improvised explosive device. It was very unfortunate but these things happen. It’s part and parcel of the job, I suppose.

“It was Feb 8, 2008, and we’d been out on an early-morning patrol. Quite often we’d get up and out while it was still dark. We patrolled the local area and made sure there wasn’t anything going on in our area that we didn’t want to happen. Then, on return to the forward operating base, I was patrolling through a ploughed field and was the point man of the section, which meant I was walking out front, and the rest of the guys were following behind. I trod on the improvised explosive device, which was buried in the floor.

For the rest of his story-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/paralympic-sport/2016/09/03/rio-2016-paralympics-joe-townsend-completes-epic-journey-in-firs/
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 pm

https://youtu.be/QQPGXpf8UZ8
unofficial anthem of the paralympics.
i found one w/lyrics.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mrswdk on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:18 pm

China winning the Symlmypics by a mile wooooooo!!!! ^0^
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:10 pm

are you "nubs", mrs?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Channel 4 are just nowhere near as good as the bbc.

No votes for murderball?
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:36 pm

The only Paralympics not held in the same country as the Olympics were the 1980 Paralympics, which were held in Arnhem, Netherlands. The regular 1980 Olympics were held in Moscow, and the Soviets famously issued a statement that no invalids existed in the Soviet Union. Apparently Soviet citizenship conferred the special privilege of perfect health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Summer_Paralympics
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:40 pm

If they really wanted people to care about the Paralympics they would abolish them completely and just incorporate events like wheelchair basketball and boccia into the Olympics.

A lot of people think Harvard is the best school, some people think Yale is the best school. But if Yale changed its named to Paraharvard, or Semiharvard, or Pseudoharvard, no one would be all that interested in it.

#BRANDINGBITCHES
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mrswdk on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Yeah, might as well call it the Sub Olympics or summit.

#SayNoToAffirmativeAction
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:06 pm

saxitoxin wrote:If they really wanted people to care about the Paralympics they would abolish them completely and just incorporate events like wheelchair basketball and boccia into the Olympics.

A lot of people think Harvard is the best school, some people think Yale is the best school. But if Yale changed its named to Paraharvard, or Semiharvard, or Pseudoharvard, no one would be all that interested in it.

#BRANDINGBITCHES

I would LOVE to go to Pseudoharvard! Especially if PseudoTimothy Leary was still teaching there!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Oxford University Press > Harvard University Press

that reminds me of the time I was in Cambridge. I asked the guy... hey, do you know where Oxford's at? and he said "here in Cambridge we do not end sentences with prepositions" so i was all like do you know where Oxford's at, asshole?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:15 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Oxford University Press > Harvard University Press

that reminds me of the time I was in Cambridge. I asked the guy... hey, do you know where Oxford's at? and he said "here in Cambridge we do not end sentences with prepositions" so i was all like do you know where Oxford's at, asshole?

Sounds about right.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,