Conquer Club

Duolingo

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Duolingo

Postby trapyoung on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:48 pm

I've been using it for a while (with some other things) to learn Brazilian Portuguese. I definitely feel that my reading comprehension has improved, but my pronunciation still isn't great.

Anybody else use it? Any else learning Portuguese? Suggestions for other ways to learn?
Colonel trapyoung

Re: Duolingo

Postby waauw on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Using it to rehash my french and german, and learning russian at the moment. Still only at lvl 5 there, but it does take time to get used to the sounds.
Привет!

Maybe you should check out penpal websites? They're all over and apparently some of them are quite successful. My sister has used them before to skype with a korean for language learning, learning korean and teaching dutch to the correspondent.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Getting students a penpal was always my most successful way to get to get students to pick up English as an EFL teacher. At some point, learning the basics from a textbook does very little, and you need to talk to a real person.

Textbooks teach precision, but real people are vague.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 am

waauw wrote:Using it to rehash my french and german, and learning russian at the moment. Still only at lvl 5 there, but it does take time to get used to the sounds.

How long did it take you to get to Level 5, waauw?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby waauw on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:59 am

saxitoxin wrote:
waauw wrote:Using it to rehash my french and german, and learning russian at the moment. Still only at lvl 5 there, but it does take time to get used to the sounds.

How long did it take you to get to Level 5, waauw?

I don't know, two weeks? You go up levels faster at the start, and it slows down later.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:30 am

Symmetry wrote:Getting students a penpal was always my most successful way to get to get students to pick up English as an EFL teacher. At some point, learning the basics from a textbook does very little, and you need to talk to a real person.

Textbooks teach precision, but real people are vague.

agree, pen pals are a great way to improve your language skills and they offer an opportunity for an extended visit if you ever travel to see them. i pulled off an exchange student scam for a free month in germany, when we moved to new mexico from germany... anyway, find a friend that speaks the language you are trying to learn...-Bj

rosetta stone works!!!
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Bernie Sanders on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Привет!

Maybe you should check out penpal websites? They're all over and apparently some of them are quite successful. My sister has used them before to skype with a korean for language learning, learning korean and teaching dutch to the correspondent.

Oh, you are from the smart Dutch side of Belgium...you ain't that stupid after all.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mrswdk on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Agree with the above. Find someone who speaks that language and learn by talking to them. Find a 'language partner', if you're meeting regularly to swap fluids you'll be using your new language with them all the time. Instant fluent, great success!

因为我找到了个语伴儿,英文现在说得很好哦 ^_^
Lieutenant mrswdk

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,