Conquer Club

Recommend a book thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Recommend a book thread

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:19 am

Lord Arioch wrote:Steven Brust drageaeran chronicles
Metro 2033

I liked the Metro 2033 games, mainly for the atmosphere, but the books were a bit like the games- great premise, so-so execution. What appealed to you?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 am

The setting were good and the story. Loved the conversation about how marxism should handle headless mutants ... fun book!
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 am

Lord Arioch wrote:The setting were good and the story. Loved the conversation about how marxism should handle headless mutants ... fun book!

Fair enough, although it was the Nazis that were a bit more disturbing for me. What was your reason for Steven Brust?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 am

The series about Vlad Taltos are great if u like fantasy:)
Otherwise i can recommend Lynn Fflewelling, high fantasy with 2 gay thieves/Spies a bit different great books!
Or Everything by Ursula K LeGuin .... Everything:)

Books are an addiction i have ... :)
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 am

Lord Arioch wrote:The series about Vlad Taltos are great if u like fantasy:)
Otherwise i can recommend Lynn Fflewelling, high fantasy with 2 gay thieves/Spies a bit different great books!
Or Everything by Ursula K LeGuin .... Everything:)

Books are an addiction i have ... :)

Mainly fantasy?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 am

And sci fi ;)
when i was younger i read strindberg and loads of other "important" writers now mainly fantasy or sci fi way better for the imagination ...

CS friedman this Alien shore is for example of of my top 5 books ;) really good:)
then u have Neal Stephenson who writes wicked good books snowcrash for example about a future US were the mob has taken over pizza deliveries ... guarantee we are on time or else ...:)

if u want sci fi or fantasy im ur man :)
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 am

Lord Arioch wrote:And sci fi ;)
when i was younger i read strindberg and loads of other "important" writers now mainly fantasy or sci fi way better for the imagination ...

CS friedman this Alien shore is for example of of my top 5 books ;) really good:)
then u have Neal Stephenson who writes wicked good books snowcrash for example about a future US were the mob has taken over pizza deliveries ... guarantee we are on time or else ...:)

if u want sci fi or fantasy im ur man :)

Have you been reading N K Jemisin series? I forget the series name, but the first one was called "The Fifth Season"?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 am

Nope dont Think so, good?
Its a World of unread books out there and im allways on the look out for more :)
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 am

Lord Arioch wrote:Nope dont Think so, good?
Its a World of unread books out there and im allways on the look out for more :)

It's worth a read- only two books out in the series so far. Brilliant premise though- kind of an early South American empire thing. World with only one continent, constantly wrecked by apocalyptic disasters every few hundred years. Society fixated on how to survive the next big earthquake/ volcano/ plague/ tidal wave- whatever is the next fifth season.

Really well written, too.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:00 am

Noted in my to read list
Oh and Joe Abercrombie REALLY needs to be read! Damn Logan nine fingers is an awesome characther!
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby Mr_Adams on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:recently read a series called "The Three Body Problem" (Proper Series title is something like "Remembering Earth's Past" or some shit like that)

Englis translation of a Chinese guy's novels. Good stuff. Named for a classic orbital mechanics problem on chaotic systems. 10/10 would recommend.

I'm sure I've seen that in my local library- the title intrigued. Will have to pick it up, though I've gone off sci-fi a bit recently. Is it hard sci-fi? I liked the Martian, but found Red Mars a bit of a slog. So I'm kind of open to the idea.

Have you read Seven Eves, by Neil Stephenson? I recommend it, though the ending is a bit disappointing, but that's kind of been my experience with most of the stuff he's written. Love the journey, but meh on the destination.

Not much of a hard scifi guy myself. More non-fiction. This was much more about the politics of Earth, and humanity facing an attack from an outside force. There are aliens, of course, but it's not slaughtering insectoids for pages on end or anything.

Never heard of Seven Eves
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby mrswdk on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 pm

mrswdk wrote:Image

Is there a papertigerback edition?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby riskllama on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm

menus aren't books, mrs...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

riskllama wrote:

menus aren't books, mrs...

Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby mrswdk on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:21 pm

You guys are just jealous 'cause Grandpa Mao wrote the second most read book in history, while the best Obama could do was get mad likes on the occasional tweet.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm

mrswdk wrote:You guys are just jealous 'cause Grandpa Mao wrote the second most read book in history, while the best Obama could do was get mad likes on the occasional tweet.

Second most published, perhaps. Not sure how many people actually willingly read it.

I picked up my copy in a charity shop, along with a book about the history of anarchism. Got some strange looks from the clerk.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 am

Well ive read it, and a load of anarchistic history 2;), and marx, and weber, and adams and mill, and´mein kampf and.... well u get the Point
In my opinion, u have to read, discuss and pnder politcal ideology in order to have one ur self. Just going around without historical context of thought is just frigging waste of a good brain!
Zombies will not eat u for that:) :)
Lieutenant Lord Arioch

Postby riskllama on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 am

Symmetry wrote:
Second most published, perhaps. Not sure how many people actually willingly read it.

I picked up my copy in a charity shop, along with a book about the history of anarchism. Got some strange looks from the clerk.

wow. sym trolls people in the real world, too.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Lord Arioch wrote:Well ive read it, and a load of anarchistic history 2;), and marx, and weber, and adams and mill, and´mein kampf and.... well u get the Point
In my opinion, u have to read, discuss and pnder politcal ideology in order to have one ur self. Just going around without historical context of thought is just frigging waste of a good brain!

My point was more that owning a copy of it was pretty much mandatory in China during the Cultural Revolution, which kind of distorts reading figures. I'm not implying that it's a bad idea to read it willingly, but at the time, people forming their own political ideologies were very much under threat from the regime, which I think runs directly counter to your (and my) beliefs.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Lord Arioch wrote:Well ive read it, and a load of anarchistic history 2;), and marx, and weber, and adams and mill, and´mein kampf and.... well u get the Point

My point was more that owning a copy of it was pretty much mandatory in China during the Cultural Revolution, which kind of distorts reading figures. I'm not implying that it's a bad idea to read it willingly, but at the time, people forming their own political ideologies were very much under threat from the regime, which I think runs directly counter to your (and my) beliefs.

I mean, you tell everyone on here what they ought to think.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Symmetry on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:21 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Indeed. All I said was that he was't leaving the house wearing that, and suddenly he's screaming "You're not my real dad!" Cue slamming doors, and loud music from his room. I don't know where we went wrong with the lad.

I'm gonna look through some brochures for naval academies and seminaries. That'll straighten the boy out.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 am

how about naval seminaries? Field trips can include an Acts 27 re-enactment.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:31 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:how about naval seminaries? Field trips can include an Acts 27 re-enactment.

I'm leaning toward a place in the navy, I saw a recruitment video, and I like their "It takes a village, people" philosophy. They really showed the diverse range of jobs he could have- builder, cop, cowboy, even some sort of American high office. I liked their can-do attitude too.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,