Conquer Club

2018 World Cup in Russia

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 am

waauw wrote:The only reason american sports do so well financially is because they got commercials every few minutes if not more frequent. It's more advertising than it is sports.
typical american: "hey dude, how was the game?"
other american: "Great, you should've seen those chicks in the Burger King infomercial."
typical american: "And the game itself?"
other american: "I just told you."

and most people watch the super bowl for the adds... beeeeeeh beeeeeh! incoming sheep
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 am

Dukasaur wrote:I don't like soccer on principle. If it took me 90 minutes to score, I'd call Ashley-Madison and demand a refund!

I think I'd ask for refund too if i had to stay planted 4h watching a few guys on a field with nothing in play 90% of the time.

And it's not that it takes you 90 minutes to score... it's that you have 90 minutes to score as much as you can. It's not about how many goals in a game... it's about how well the teams are playing. You can have some epic 0-0 and some dreadful 3-1s.
Major betiko

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm

betiko wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I don't like soccer on principle. If it took me 90 minutes to score, I'd call Ashley-Madison and demand a refund!

I think I'd ask for refund too if i had to stay planted 4h watching a few guys on a field with nothing in play 90% of the time.

And it's not that it takes you 90 minutes to score... it's that you have 90 minutes to score as much as you can. It's not about how many goals in a game... it's about how well the teams are playing. You can have some epic 0-0 and some dreadful 3-1s.

No need to argue, they both suck.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby waauw on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Thorthoth wrote:
betiko wrote:

And this is why you're fat. You don't like sports.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

waauw wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:
betiko wrote:

Beside the fact that you have no idea what I look like... you do realize that they're talking about spectator sports?
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby waauw on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Thorthoth wrote:
waauw wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:
betiko wrote:

Beside the fact that you have no idea what I look like... you do realize that they're talking about spectator sports?

Well some while back you complained you didn't work out because you 'didn't have time'.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 am

In Things Merely Are (2005), the book on Stevens, he helpfully explains what to expect: “It will be my general claim.” Twelve years on we know what to expect — that he will still be explaining what to expect: “In this little book, I will use . . . ” The habitual conflation of writing (a book) with delivering (a paper) is manifest most obviously in the trope of the redundant plea. To deploy another Atkinsonism, he sets out his stall in the very first line of his little book On Bowie (2016): “Let me begin with a rather embarrassing confession.” In the new book, a fondness for a way of proceeding that serves mainly as an impediment to progress shows signs of turning into full-blown addiction: “Let me confess something,” “Let me try and explain,” “So, let me try and make some gestures,” “Let me pause here and say something a little weird,” “Let me risk a further speculation here,” “Let me give a couple of examples,” “Let me summarize,” “Let me fill out this line of thought,” and (my favorite) “Let me risk another analogy with Heidegger.”

You feel like responding: it’s your book, dude, you can do what you want — just stop doing that. But there’s no stopping him, of course. Why quit when he can invite us to join the party? “Let’s turn more closely.” A variant of this rhetorical shift from singular to plural is particularly telling: “Let’s just say that it’s complicated,” “Let’s just say that it is far from clear,” “Let’s just say that the atmosphere was tense.” Let’s just say that what good writing demands is more than just saying. Almost inevitably the redundant request for permission is balanced by the equally redundant imperative: “I must say,” “I must admit,” “I can’t resist,” “I must confess.” Just saying, as they say.

What does this have to do with the World Cup? You'll have to click the link to find out.

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/12/dead-ball-situation/?single=1
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
In Things Merely Are (2005), the book on Stevens, he helpfully explains what to expect: “It will be my general claim.” Twelve years on we know what to expect — that he will still be explaining what to expect: “In this little book, I will use . . . ” The habitual conflation of writing (a book) with delivering (a paper) is manifest most obviously in the trope of the redundant plea. To deploy another Atkinsonism, he sets out his stall in the very first line of his little book On Bowie (2016): “Let me begin with a rather embarrassing confession.” In the new book, a fondness for a way of proceeding that serves mainly as an impediment to progress shows signs of turning into full-blown addiction: “Let me confess something,” “Let me try and explain,” “So, let me try and make some gestures,” “Let me pause here and say something a little weird,” “Let me risk a further speculation here,” “Let me give a couple of examples,” “Let me summarize,” “Let me fill out this line of thought,” and (my favorite) “Let me risk another analogy with Heidegger.”

You feel like responding: it’s your book, dude, you can do what you want — just stop doing that. But there’s no stopping him, of course. Why quit when he can invite us to join the party? “Let’s turn more closely.” A variant of this rhetorical shift from singular to plural is particularly telling: “Let’s just say that it’s complicated,” “Let’s just say that it is far from clear,” “Let’s just say that the atmosphere was tense.” Let’s just say that what good writing demands is more than just saying. Almost inevitably the redundant request for permission is balanced by the equally redundant imperative: “I must say,” “I must admit,” “I can’t resist,” “I must confess.” Just saying, as they say.

What does this have to do with the World Cup? You'll have to click the link to find out.

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/12/dead-ball-situation/?single=1

You d be amazed by how intelectualized football is in countries where it s part of the culture (most countries in the world).
There are tons of books like that... it might surprise you.

Today is the wc draw! Let s see in a few hours what groups will look like.
And obviously let s make our forecasts lol
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:59 am

Yeah, I was at an Arsenal game recently where the fans around me repeatedly burst into chants of 'we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, Yiddos'. Then they scream at the referee.

It's actually quite a meaningful piece of performance art, I think. A take on modern society and how the politicization of hate is used to manipulate people towards fulfilling the interests of the ruling elite. Quite beautiful, really.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

mrswdk wrote:Yeah, I was at an Arsenal game recently where the fans around me repeatedly burst into chants of 'we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, we hate Tottenham, Yiddos'. Then they scream at the referee.

It's actually quite a meaningful piece of performance art, I think. A take on modern society and how the politicization of hate is used to manipulate people towards fulfilling the interests of the ruling elite. Quite beautiful, really.

Football has always been a working class thing, whereas rugby or tennis were more for the elite.
Nevertheless, in some countries such as argentina for example, it has always been something about working class and elites. Most argentinian writers and philosophers have very strong discussions about the essence of the game.
In most football countries, football isn't about elites anymore... i see that in my generation. For example in spain, former generations were ALL interested in football, and it s still the case.
In France, for my parent s generation, it was more of a working class thing, but my generation is all about football.

There are still a lot of people who would go like... meh, I hate football but I like rugby and tennis (example: the intellectual communist donelladan)
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:07 am

Well it is true that rugby is way better than football. The only people who (pretend they) don't like it are reverse snobs who wear flat caps and pretend to themselves that they're gruff coal miners.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! Belgium-England!!!
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dakky21 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:05 am

I don't like groups. Argentina, Nigeria, Iceland to play vs. Croatia... hard one.
Captain dakky21

Postby mrswdk on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am

waauw wrote:YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! Belgium-England!!!

1 - England
2 - Belgium
3 - Tunisia
4 - Panama

Great group

lol @ Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm

I don t think there is any very hard group. All have 2 likely favorites... it does look complicated for 1/8th of finals though
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Germany's group looks pretty tough.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

betiko wrote:I don t think there is any very hard group. All have 2 likely favorites... it does look complicated for 1/8th of finals though

I disagree, group H seems pretty tough. Japan, Colombia, Poland and Senegal; all four teams capable of beating eachother. And aside from Uruguay, group A should be quite evenly matched as well, if only because Russia, Egypt and Saudi-Arabia suck donkey balls.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:35 pm

waauw wrote:
betiko wrote:I don t think there is any very hard group. All have 2 likely favorites... it does look complicated for 1/8th of finals though

I disagree, group H seems pretty tough. Japan, Colombia, Poland and Senegal; all four teams capable of beating eachother. And aside from Uruguay, group A should be quite evenly matched as well, if only because Russia, Egypt and Saudi-Arabia suck donkey balls.

Nah... columbia poland easy.. a good friend of mine is half senegalese and he thinks they will make it. No way!
Uruguay Russia. Easy enough for russia to make it.. if they don't.... in their own world cup... that would be seriously embarassing.
Germany easy.... then tough between mexico and sweden for second place.

The toughest one for me is argentina-croatia-iceland-nigeria. This one is very even.
Actually... brazil-switzerland-costa rica-serbia will have a real tough battle for second place.
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:24 pm

betiko wrote:
waauw wrote:

Nah... columbia poland easy.. a good friend of mine is half senegalese and he thinks they will make it. No way!
Uruguay Russia. Easy enough for russia to make it.. if they don't.... in their own world cup... that would be seriously embarassing.

The toughest one for me is argentina-croatia-iceland-nigeria. This one is very even.
Actually... brazil-switzerland-costa rica-serbia will have a real tough battle for second place.

In group H both Japan and Senegal lack the grand players, but can't underestimate them. Belgium recently played Japan in a friendly. Those Japanese players really were well organized. Their manager is Halilhodzic, the same guy who gave Germany and Belgium a hard run for their money in the last world cup. And I've read similar things about Senegal.

In germany's group I think Mexico should have no problems with Sweden. People like to hype Sweden up now that they've beaten Italy, but imo they got lucky Italy simply missed so many chances. And Mexico definitely has the creative players to force some openings.

I agree however that in the Argentina and Brazil groups second place should prove hard fought.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:25 pm

dakky21 wrote:I don't like groups. ... hard one.

Masturbation is not allowed in rugby.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 am

waauw wrote:
betiko wrote:
waauw wrote:

In group H both Japan and Senegal lack the grand players, but can't underestimate them. Belgium recently played Japan in a friendly. Those Japanese players really were well organized. Their manager is Halilhodzic, the same guy who gave Germany and Belgium a hard run for their money in the last world cup. And I've read similar things about Senegal.

In germany's group I think Mexico should have no problems with Sweden. People like to hype Sweden up now that they've beaten Italy, but imo they got lucky Italy simply missed so many chances. And Mexico definitely has the creative players to force some openings.

I agree however that in the Argentina and Brazil groups second place should prove hard fought.

Well Senegal has Sadio Mané for striker... he's a BPL star, how does that not qualify as a grand player?
Halilodzic is well known in france.... he s been playing for many years for nantes and i think psg... then he coached lille and psg for many years in the early 2000s. He s a rough guy.

Sweden almost finished first of the qualifying group ahead of france, netherlands and bulgaria... then they eliminated italy in playoffs. 2 of the greatest european soccer nations will be watching the world cup from home because of them. They do deserve some credit.
Nietzsche keeps on telling me how much he hates the mexican coach, and that he will go against his team just to see him get fired.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

yay bitches, it's on!!! USA is out.

GO FRANCE

Lopetegui out 2 days before the opening match lol... can spain do something in those conditions?
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm

betiko wrote:yay bitches, it's on!!! USA is out.

GO FRANCE

Lopetegui out 2 days before the opening match lol... can spain do something in those conditions?

Spain just fired their manager.

An interesting move on the eve of a World Cup:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-manager-real-madrid-job
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:

GO FRANCE

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-manager-real-madrid-job

that's what I just said.
A total dick move by the spanish federation. The guy was doing a great job and he renewed succesfully the team after all the past glories were slowly retiring and the team was getting old and tired of winning.
They just got butthurt because they learned about it 5 minutes before the press. get over it. you can't f*ck up your country's WC just because you got butt hurt. Putting someone else 2 days before starting aworld cup is a hara kiri in its purest form.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm

betiko wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

GO FRANCE

that's what I just said.
A total dick move by the spanish federation. The guy was doing a great job and he renewed succesfully the team after all the past glories were slowly retiring and the team was getting old and tired of winning.
They just got butthurt because they learned about it 5 minutes before the press. get over it. you can't f*ck up your country's WC just because you got butt hurt. Putting someone else 2 days before starting aworld cup is a hara kiri in its purest form.

Spain v Portugal is going to be one of the more interesting matches in the first few days, if the Spanish team don't dominate the press will have a field day.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,