Conquer Club

2018 World Cup in Russia

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Postby betiko on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 pm

What do Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Egypt have in common?

We are now down to 29 left.
Major betiko

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 am

don't cry for me, Argentina....
not completely over yet for them... but if they make it, they will mst likely face france. right now, it seems probable that it will be france vs iceland

predictions of the first 4 groups:

(russia vs portugal) VS (france vs iceland)

other side of the board:

(uruguay vs spain) VS (croatia vs denmark)
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 am

ther's gonna be a few interesting games this week toclise the group phase....
the fights for the first/second in a few groups, others where athird guy has a good chance... all very hard to predict
Major betiko

Postby HitRed on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 am

Mexico Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 am

There were people driving up and down our city celebration avenue yesterday honking with yellow red and black? flags. I presume they were excited about someone winning at the soccer.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby GoranZ on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm

betiko wrote:ther's gonna be a few interesting games this week toclise the group phase....
the fights for the first/second in a few groups, others where athird guy has a good chance... all very hard to predict

Let me help with that... Disaster for Argentina, Croatia without 10 players against Iceland
Croatia is first in any outcome so second team will eater crush Iceland or lose big time. I expect a lot of goals there tho.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Keefie on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Can't wait for Tunisia vs Panama :) Reckon Fifa should issue crash helmets and body armour for all the players.
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Keefie wrote:Can't wait for Tunisia vs Panama :) Reckon Fifa should issue crash helmets and body armour for all the players.

I hear that Fifa are planning to fine the fans if the teams behave too badly. :D
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm

GoranZ wrote:
betiko wrote:ther's gonna be a few interesting games this week toclise the group phase....

Let me help with that... Disaster for Argentina, Croatia without 10 players against Iceland
Croatia is first in any outcome so second team will eater crush Iceland or lose big time. I expect a lot of goals there tho.

If nigeria wins and croatia loses with the right scores croatia loses the first place. Say iceland beats croatia 3-0 and nigeria beats argentina 3-0..... nigeria would be first. Very unlikely, I know, but technically possible.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Pretty crazy how the spain/portugal group finished. In the last minutes spain had a chance to be eliminated... then Iran almost eliminated portugal on the buzzer...

Anyways.... portugal vs uruguay and spain vs russia for the last 16

I'm actually liking the VAR, it's being quite acurate.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm

betiko wrote:Pretty crazy how the spain/portugal group finished. In the last minutes spain had a chance to be eliminated... then Iran almost eliminated portugal on the buzzer...

Anyways.... portugal vs uruguay and spain vs russia for the last 16

I'm actually liking the VAR, it's being quite acurate.

Yeah- the VAR has worked pretty well so far, although I'm not sure how well it will integrate into the game as a whole. It's made for a more exciting set of group stage matches for the tournament.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm

I hear a lot of french journalists strongly against it... I m sorry but the VAR has made more justice than injustice in this WC by very far.
Game integration? Sure, when there is a dodgy action on a goal you can't celebrate it on the instant and have to remain cautious. And it's not taking as much time as journalists said it would. Sure, on a game with dodgy stuff that needed to be analyzed, games often finish on minute 97. Who cares if it ends up taking 2 more minutes than before?
I don't like seeing 10 times an action just after the ref took a bad decision... knowing that he wouldn't have taken that decision had he seen it better. They are humans and can't see everything going on on the pitch even with all their regular assistants.

On the nigeria vs argentina game... i totally agree on the penalty the ref gave and on the one he didn't. It remains a ref interpretation of the action compared to the rule, and static images don't always give you a full picture. The VAR is an extra tool. There will still be controversies on certain things.. but when a ref isn't sure, which happens pretty much in every game... he'll be able to take a closer look.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 pm

betiko wrote:I hear a lot of french journalists strongly against it... I m sorry but the VAR has made more justice than injustice in this WC by very far.
Game integration? Sure, when there is a dodgy action on a goal you can't celebrate it on the instant and have to remain cautious. And it's not taking as much time as journalists said it would. Sure, on a game with dodgy stuff that needed to be analyzed, games often finish on minute 97. Who cares if it ends up taking 2 more minutes than before?
I don't like seeing 10 times an action just after the ref took a bad decision... knowing that he wouldn't have taken that decision had he seen it better. They are humans and can't see everything going on on the pitch even with all their regular assistants.

On the nigeria vs argentina game... i totally agree on the penalty the ref gave and on the one he didn't. It remains a ref interpretation of the action compared to the rule, and static images don't always give you a full picture. The VAR is an extra tool. There will still be controversies on certain things.. but when a ref isn't sure, which happens pretty much in every game... he'll be able to take a closer look.

I agree, I think it's best seen as a tool to help refs. The downside of it is that refs might double-check every decision, but I've seen little evidence of that. That's more for stop-start sports like American Football, where more time is spent reviewing the game than actually playing it (average NFL match is 11 minutes of play, apparently). Football refs are more interested in keeping the game flowing.

So far, I think it's made for better matches, even while some of the coaches grumble from the sidelines.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 pm

they should penalize players running towards the ref asking him to check the replay. yellow card.

also, they should make clear for every player that if a play needs checking, the ref will receive communication so there's no need to ask for VAR.
General nietzsche

Postby Symmetry on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 pm

nietzsche wrote:they should penalize players running towards the ref asking him to check the replay. yellow card.

also, they should make clear for every player that if a play needs checking, the ref will receive communication so there's no need to ask for VAR.

Mobbing the ref was a problem before VAR, and I hope that it doesn't become more of an issue because of it.

My other favourite sport- Rugby Union, tends to have more respect for refs, and I think a big part of it is because of video systems.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 pm

General nietzsche

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:24 am

nietzsche wrote:Image

Weird, and kinda creepy.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 am

for some reason i can't see what niet posted. what was it?
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:37 am

betiko wrote:for some reason i can't see what niet posted. what was it?

It was weird, and kinda creepy.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby GoranZ on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Wow. It was 2-0 and I thought "they must not have dice in Japan". Turns out they do have dice in Japan! Wow!
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby waauw on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 pm

I just love how both Japan and Belgium could've gotten penalties, but refused to dive and cry like Neymar.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:02 pm

waauw wrote:I just love how both Japan and Belgium could've gotten penalties, but refused to dive and cry like Neymar.

I was thinking a better system than Fair Play points would be anti-gravity points. Every time your knees hit the turf, it costs a point, even in cases where there is a penalty, but not counting those gay knee slides.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 am

waauw wrote:I just love how both Japan and Belgium could've gotten penalties, but refused to dive and cry like Neymar.

He's a professional, and very successful at what he does. If he didn't make a scene, his team would win less often, not only in terms of free kicks and penalties awarded, but in terms of hard challenges on forwards like him, potentially career ending.

I'm no fan of Neymar, but he's a product of a system, and the solution is better refereeing first. VAR is a step towards that, I think.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,