Conquer Club

2018 World Cup in Russia

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Why not include Golden Boot?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm

rockfist wrote:Congrats to France.

In regards to Ronaldo...complete douchebag...5 mins after the end of championā€™s league he HAD to steal the spotlight back from the Team and from his teammate who had endured miserable treatment for much of the season only to persevere and deliver off the bench in the biggest game of the year...then during the World Cup he had to run off and sign with Juventus again to steal the spot light from those players and teams that rightfully earned it, he couldā€™ve waited until the World Cup was over and signed next week, but he is king douchebag so nope.

Sounds like you have some bias against Ronaldo.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby waauw on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Why not include Golden Boot?

I prefer to ignore the golden boot.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:49 pm

waauw wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Why not include Golden Boot?

I prefer to ignore the golden boot.

Golden boot is coming home, it's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming... golden boot is coming home!

Every pub in England is spraying gold paint on the feet of their regulars.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby rockfist on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:

In regards to Ronaldo...complete douchebag...5 mins after the end of championā€™s league he HAD to steal the spotlight back from the Team and from his teammate who had endured miserable treatment for much of the season only to persevere and deliver off the bench in the biggest game of the year...then during the World Cup he had to run off and sign with Juventus again to steal the spot light from those players and teams that rightfully earned it, lhe couldā€™ve waited until the World Cup was over and signed next week, but he is king douchebag so nope.

Iā€™m not a Messi fan if that is what you are implying. I just donā€™t care for Ronaldoā€™s ego.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby trapyoung on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:48 pm

rockfist wrote:Iā€™m not a Messi fan if that is what you are implying. I just donā€™t care for Ronaldoā€™s ego high cheek bones.

ftfy
Colonel trapyoung

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:37 pm

rockfist wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

In regards to Ronaldo...complete douchebag...5 mins after the end of championā€™s league he HAD to steal the spotlight back from the Team and from his teammate who had endured miserable treatment for much of the season only to persevere and deliver off the bench in the biggest game of the year...then during the World Cup he had to run off and sign with Juventus again to steal the spot light from those players and teams that rightfully earned it, lhe couldā€™ve waited until the World Cup was over and signed next week, but he is king douchebag so nope.

Iā€™m not a Messi fan if that is what you are implying. I just donā€™t care for Ronaldoā€™s ego.

Anyone in the same position as Ronaldo would have an ego. It's also very easy to be painted in a bad light by media. I don't feel like what you're saying is justified but hey that doesn't really matter anyway.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby benga on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 pm

nietzsche wrote:strong teams win even when they don't deserve it.

France was the strongest team during the whole tournament, they never seemed in trouble, they always seemed to have control of the situation. It appears they never even needed it to shift to 4th gear.

This

Still don't understand how they managed to win, but France is our black cat in every sport it seems.

Congratulations!
Sergeant benga

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Betiko if you come in here saying France played well and deserve to be winning 3-1 (and will probably win now) Iā€™ll shoot you in the mouth. Iā€™m almost as pissed off as when England were knocked out. Griezmann dives for the free kick when he wasnā€™t touched and then the penalty was complete bullshit as well. I donā€™t know how anyone can be proud of themselves or their team for winning like that.

I agree about the first goal on a fake foul throw; but I most genuinely think that I wouldā€™ve given that penalty had I ve had a neutral view.
Nevertheless, they kicked our ass the first hour for sure and it was very lucky to be winning 2-1 at half time. But overall, I think the final was well deserved for us... we left them the ball until they were exhausted, and we had been defending strong.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 am

The ram wrote:French supporters have got to be the shittyest supporters in the world. No atmosphere what so ever. Much like France itself, a nice place for a quiet break but no more.

You might want to see some footage on how thing are being celebrated across France in the streets, even more than in 98.

How would you know how british fans would react? You canā€™t base your argument based on something as hypothetical as england winning a world cup, listen to thĆ© three lions song
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:36 am

benga wrote:
nietzsche wrote:strong teams win even when they don't deserve it.

France was the strongest team during the whole tournament, they never seemed in trouble, they always seemed to have control of the situation. It appears they never even needed it to shift to 4th gear.

This

Still don't understand how they managed to win, but France is our black cat in every sport it seems.

Congratulations!

What other sport? Basketball? Donā€™t remember. Water-polo ? Not a chance
Handball? I guess we beat you a few times in some important games
Major betiko

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:15 pm

time for a break of football.

let's talk about football again around January.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby The ram on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 pm

betiko wrote:
The ram wrote:French supporters have got to be the shittyest supporters in the world. No atmosphere what so ever. Much like France itself, a nice place for a quiet break but no more.

You might want to see some footage on how thing are being celebrated across France in the streets, even more than in 98.

How would you know how british fans would react? You canā€™t base your argument based on something as hypothetical as england winning a world cup, listen to thĆ© three lions song

They were winning 4-2 in the final of the world cup and there was no singing, chanting, band playing or anything. England fans don't need to win to create an atmosphere! REAL SUPPORT
Cadet The ram

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:03 pm

betiko wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Betiko if you come in here saying France played well and deserve to be winning 3-1 (and will probably win now) Iā€™ll shoot you in the mouth. Iā€™m almost as pissed off as when England were knocked out. Griezmann dives for the free kick when he wasnā€™t touched and then the penalty was complete bullshit as well. I donā€™t know how anyone can be proud of themselves or their team for winning like that.

I agree about the first goal on a fake foul throw; but I most genuinely think that I wouldā€™ve given that penalty had I ve had a neutral view.
Nevertheless, they kicked our ass the first hour for sure and it was very lucky to be winning 2-1 at half time. But overall, I think the final was well deserved for us... we left them the ball until they were exhausted, and we had been defending strong.

The rules for handball state it has to be deliberate. Do you really think that handball was deliberate by Perisic? He looked like he might've got it with his leg anyway had his hand not been there. All the English commentators and half time pundits thought it wasn't a penalty, I don't know about elsewhere. Did the French commentators say that the free kick and penalty were deserved?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm

he does slightly move the arm downwards..

i think that was what the ref considered as intentional. handballs continue to be one of the most polemic rules. they're difficult to call. impossible to truly judge intention. you could say that as he saw the ball pass the french player he for a fraction of a second reacted by lowering his arm, and the one fraction of a second later he attempted to raise his leg but the hand was already there. the position in movement of his body might not help.

all in all, i think that what the ref judged was that slight but noticeable downward movement of the arm. i'm not sure what i would've done if i was the referee, for one i don't want to decide a WC final with a call that isn't super clear, but also the VAR is there and I get to see it 10 times in slow motion and everybody is seeing it on TV, so if i see an indication that it was a penalty, however small, i have to call it, otherwise it looks like i'm trying to help Croatia.

i wouldn't say it was a robbery, i would say it was unlucky for croatia,
General nietzsche

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

If France didn't turn up in the second half and score a couple of good goals then I'd say it was a robbery, however in the end they remembered how to play football and played well, so I'd agree it was unlucky for Croatia.

The thing with the VAR is watching it in slow motion looks a lot worse because it appears to be more deliberate, whereas if you watch in real time the entire situation is more natural. I think that was the issue.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby betiko on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:12 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
betiko wrote:

The rules for handball state it has to be deliberate. Do you really think that handball was deliberate by Perisic? He looked like he might've got it with his leg anyway had his hand not been there. All the English commentators and half time pundits thought it wasn't a penalty, I don't know about elsewhere. Did the French commentators say that the free kick and penalty were deserved?

i don't know about french comentators as i saw it in spanish. Over here they said it wasn't really clear and hard to take the decision

honestly, for me this is intentional. And no it's not only about being intentional... anybody who has played football knows you don't let your arms loose wandering around when you'redefending in your surface. You control your arms... you know that if you let them wander around anywhere you can put your team in a difficult position giving away a penalty.
The movement of his arm is not natural... the speed sugests it's intentional.

Anyways, in any given match no one would've said anything about giving a penalty for this because it's deserved, but the fact that the previous goal wasn't really deserved because griezmann faked a foul, makes people talk a lot about a decision that can't be seen as totally unfair. No way. If this isn't a proper handball then I'm amazed by my lack of objectivity.
Major betiko

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

On the tv in the UK not one person who spoke thought it was a penalty.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:29 pm

just like nobody in sport.es thought it was a penalty over Lucas Vazquez vs Juventus.

Or how in England everybody thought Ramos planned carefully both taking out Salah of the game with that move, to the last inch where Salah was to fall on his shoulder, and how he would hit Karious on the head hard enough so that he got midly concused, not enough to leave the pitch but enough to gift to goals to RM.
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:On the tv in the UK not one person who spoke thought it was a penalty.

not sure if this is espn uk, but 53% say it's penalty here

Major betiko

Postby The ram on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 am

Lovren bringing down the male pussy riot thing was good. When interviewed about it he said " I'm the best defender in the world, nobody gets past me".
Cadet The ram

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm

nietzsche wrote:just like nobody in sport.es thought it was a penalty over Lucas Vazquez vs Juventus.

Or how in England everybody thought Ramos planned carefully both taking out Salah of the game with that move, to the last inch where Salah was to fall on his shoulder, and how he would hit Karious on the head hard enough so that he got midly concused, not enough to leave the pitch but enough to gift to goals to RM.

I didn't watch either of those games so can't comment. I'm just saying what I saw on both BBC and ITV from commentators and ex pro players.

betiko wrote:not sure if this is espn uk, but 53% say it's penalty here

All the World Cup games were on BBC and ITV in the UK. I don't believe anyone else had rights but I could be wrong.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby betiko on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
nietzsche wrote:just like nobody in sport.es thought it was a penalty over Lucas Vazquez vs Juventus.

I didn't watch either of those games so can't comment. I'm just saying what I saw on both BBC and ITV from commentators and ex pro players.

betiko wrote:not sure if this is espn uk, but 53% say it's penalty here

All the World Cup games were on BBC and ITV in the UK. I don't believe anyone else had rights but I could be wrong.

Well all those commentators there are definitely british and they show no footage.

Anyways, pretty amazed by the shitstorm concerning the amount of african descendents that we have in our team and all in some foreign countries. Some people might be uneducated concerning france's history... but some others are plain idiots.
All these guys grew up in france, or on french islands. They all feel french more than anything, if their skin colour is a problem to some of you, well I guess the only thing you can do is suck it up. We are very proud of our multicultural heritage and our area of influence throghout the world, just like other european countries who recently had an empire. there were bad things about empires, but good things too.
Major betiko

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 pm

That is just an excuse people will always use. Russia had someone who'd played internationally for Brazil. France has always had Algerian/other African players. The Boateng brothers both play for different countries. I'm pretty sure this can be applied to every major team.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby waauw on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm

At least the french players were born and raised in France. Can't say the same for some african countries where some players are only tied in by parental link. Morocco even had 17 players who never even grew up in Morocco.
Lieutenant waauw

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,