Conquer Club

The World Of Today

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 am

Might help if you gave us a comparison of the world of today to year X.

I can't speculate on what the world was like back in the 1900's, 1800's, etc. Wasn't alive, can only assume what a majority of people were like during those era's. I can say that I find today's world and society, at least American to be in the shitter.

Where do I begin...

We have groups today that don't respect other peoples rights. There are vegan extremists out there that will attack other people and businesses to try and make a point. A video was going around not too along ago where a group of vegan/animal right activists harassing a couple of fishers just minding their own business. The vegan group makes a big scene because the fish they put on the cement (someone went to fetch a bucket), was suffocating.
Blah blah blah, fish gets tossed back in the river, fishers get pissed off, end of video.

I personally don't care much for these groups. I can't hold a conversation with an animal, they don't solve any world wide issues, nor are they making any innovating technologies that would revolutionize society. So why would I place their rights equal or sometimes better than a human being? If people want animals to have equal rights, then they better get a fucking job and pay my mortgage.
Here's a better scenario: A meteor is going to hit the Earth in less than 72 hours, and we have to scramble a team of engineers to detonate the meteor to avert disaster (sound familiar? :P). I'm pretty sure no one is going to ask a dog if he can lead that team of engineers.

Another thing I will never understand are safe spaces. I thought this was some sick joke but it's actually true and universities and colleges have implemented them for the incredibly weak and/or ignorant minded people. Pretty soon, history will be completely re-written into a teletubby version to accommodate their fragile minds. Wars were fought with hugs and kisses and no one ever died, ever.
The reason why this is such an incredible problem is because these places are meant to challenge thought and ideas. When you start catering to everyone who simply can't accept other spectrums of thought without even listening, which is one of the most basic things a person can do, then it completely defeats the purpose of learning. The biggest offending topics that folks in my generation have flipped their shit over are the LGBQT labeling (like bathroom separation, is or is not a mental illness, transgenders should be called "he or she for respective target gender", etc.), abortion, and our most recent presidential election. God forbid if you mention Trump in a positive light ANYWHERE in Portland, OR.
This is the same bullshit when I was coming into basic training. Stress cards are these little red cards you give to a drill sergeant when they are being "too harsh". Oh f*ck off...I can go on for days as to why the military has gone completely soft, and why these stupid ass cards are the wrong answer for something that was never a problem. But these stupid things are the basic equivalent of safe spaces.

No one is capable of actually debating anymore. It has now become a screaming match. If person can yell over another person during an argument, they win! *Confetti spray*
I'm no patron saint of the art of debating or arguing because I will call someone stupid if they blatantly display ignorance on a topic I believe I have some knowledge on, but there are folks out there who take it to the nth degree and blow me straight out of the water. No sources will ever be provided, everything will come from the top of their head, and they will always forever think that whatever topic it is that they are weighing on, that their opinion is more validated than everyone elses, and may whatever God you pray to have mercy on your pitiful soul if you even attempt to show them why they're wrong. I can't even watch a fucking cat video anymore without hovering down to a comments section just to see some stupid bullshit someone posted.
Let's take this for example: A doctor shows you that you have cancer and need immediate treatment. You scream at him because you watched a youtube video from Infowars that cancer doesn't exist and also because you were raised in a good Christian home, therefor, you are healthy. Doctor explains why you have little to no time left and why your reasons are idiotic. You don't listen and storm out like a five year old. You die a week later because cancer.
That's basically the equivalent here. If you have 0 knowledge on whatever topic you are about to weigh in on, hold that thought for a moment, and then just let it go. Let it roam free away. You'll be a lot smarter for it.

That's all that can come to my mind at the moment, but this just scratches the surface.

Edit - Technology! Not that it's a bad thing, it's a good thing, it has given us a plethora of comforts, but with all good things, people will manage a way to take a good thing, and take a flaccid dump over it.
Take a cell phone for example. What was actually a pretty useful tool, a handheld device capable of communicating with anyone on a whim, has now become one of the dumbest fucking things people fawn over. "NEW IPHONE S8 GALAXY JUPITER TO MARS RELEASED! OVER 10,000 BRAIN DEAD APPS READY TO BE INSTALLED! BUY NOW FOR ONLY 10 EASY PAYMENTS OF $100!". Aside from the massive pricks that can't put their phone away for more than five seconds at a time, the cell phone tied with Facebook has easily made everyone more distant from one another. Social gatherings? There's an app for it. Dating? App. Shopping? App.
It's stupid, people don't have any incentive whatsoever to interact with one another. You can do everything on your phone! Bonus points if you pull your phone out while you're driving. I recommend a mountain pass where the roads turn frequently. If you're lucky, you'll barrel through a barrier and careen off a cliff! Too much work for you? There's an app for that.
I love the idea of a cellphone and being able to communicate with anyone at any given time. Hell, I have one of those new androids, only because I wanted the camera to take dick pictures and a decent WiFi connection, so all my conquer club needs can be met. But everyone else who can't even put their phone down to just look someone in the eye and have an actual heart to heart conversation? Lost cause.
I have an unyielding hatred for social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or whatever. Major contributors to what I believe is going to be a major issue in the future, when someone actually looks up and notices that there are real people merely feet away.

Another undying hatred for is electronic applications. What happened to the dressing to impress, showing up and asking for an application, and a quick introduction as to whom you are? Now we have this generic look-alike applications with no face or personality behind them (unless you include a picture, but...why?). I don't know where exactly this craze was catching on, but it boggles the mind.

Speaking of sensitive people earlier, I don't understand how any sane person can argue that being obese is healthy. It isn't, not by a long shot. Porking down on McDonalds everyday as your go-to-choice for every course meal is not a healthy decision, and it should rightfully be condemned. If you look like that blueberry kid from William Wonka and the chocolate factory, there's a good chance that your food choices suck ass, and you should immediately change your diet. You don't even need to go to the gym for it! It certainly would expedite the process a lot quicker if you did go to the gym, but I won't say you should go, because I hate the gym. Fat shaming be praised, if it gets lard ass to eat healthier, then my job is complete and you're welcome.
I like the hypocrites though that prowl Facebook non-stop as some sort of internet police force, looking for any models or aspiring models just so they can shame them for showing too much skin. Usually fat old women that haven't been laid in thirty years with a cooter smelling like crawfish.

Another thing, going back to weightless opinions, I'm so sick of shitty journalists doing a shitty job on reporting, and they should immediately be fired, and go back to college to re-earn their degree. Guns for example. If I see one more idiot think that an AR-15 means Assault Rifle - 15, I'll punch a baby.
This is exactly why I think journalism is in the gutter right now. These ass hats make a business on reporting misery because misery sells. But when a journalist can't even get basic facts straight, and makes a weightless unbiased opinion that people treat as fact, it causes a problem. Bullet buttons! BULLET BUTTONS!
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am

The fantasy world of DDS

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
User avatar
Captain Bernie Sanders
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:30 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:10 am

----------That is the problem with people in the world today...They want everyone one to do the work for them......I for one will not do other people's homework...Why that used to be called cheating......If someone doesn't know the difference between a Prussian and a German...They shouldn't be trying to discuss WORLD HISTORY...OR THE WAY THE WORLD IS... :lol: :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)....What does Prussian have to do with things?...Or an Austrian/Hungarian for that matter... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (SPRAYING CONFETTI IN THE AIR) :!: ...
User avatar
Sergeant ConfederateSS
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (4) General Contribution (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am

I see you've managed to avoid that sharp object. Damn!

Tomorrows a new day, one can hope.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:30 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Might help if you gave us a comparison of the world of today to year X.

I can't speculate on what the world was like back in the 1900's, 1800's, etc. Wasn't alive, can only assume what a majority of people were like during those era's. I can say that I find today's world and society, at least American to be in the shitter.

Where do I begin...

We have groups today that don't respect other peoples rights. There are vegan extremists out there that will attack other people and businesses to try and make a point. A video was going around not too along ago where a group of vegan/animal right activists harassing a couple of fishers just minding their own business. The vegan group makes a big scene because the fish they put on the cement (someone went to fetch a bucket), was suffocating.
Blah blah blah, fish gets tossed back in the river, fishers get pissed off, end of video.

I personally don't care much for these groups. I can't hold a conversation with an animal, they don't solve any world wide issues, nor are they making any innovating technologies that would revolutionize society. So why would I place their rights equal or sometimes better than a human being? If people want animals to have equal rights, then they better get a fucking job and pay my mortgage.
Here's a better scenario: A meteor is going to hit the Earth in less than 72 hours, and we have to scramble a team of engineers to detonate the meteor to avert disaster (sound familiar? :P). I'm pretty sure no one is going to ask a dog if he can lead that team of engineers.

Another thing I will never understand are safe spaces. I thought this was some sick joke but it's actually true and universities and colleges have implemented them for the incredibly weak and/or ignorant minded people. Pretty soon, history will be completely re-written into a teletubby version to accommodate their fragile minds. Wars were fought with hugs and kisses and no one ever died, ever.
The reason why this is such an incredible problem is because these places are meant to challenge thought and ideas. When you start catering to everyone who simply can't accept other spectrums of thought without even listening, which is one of the most basic things a person can do, then it completely defeats the purpose of learning. The biggest offending topics that folks in my generation have flipped their shit over are the LGBQT labeling (like bathroom separation, is or is not a mental illness, transgenders should be called "he or she for respective target gender", etc.), abortion, and our most recent presidential election. God forbid if you mention Trump in a positive light ANYWHERE in Portland, OR.
This is the same bullshit when I was coming into basic training. Stress cards are these little red cards you give to a drill sergeant when they are being "too harsh". Oh f*ck off...I can go on for days as to why the military has gone completely soft, and why these stupid ass cards are the wrong answer for something that was never a problem. But these stupid things are the basic equivalent of safe spaces.

No one is capable of actually debating anymore. It has now become a screaming match. If person can yell over another person during an argument, they win! *Confetti spray*
I'm no patron saint of the art of debating or arguing because I will call someone stupid if they blatantly display ignorance on a topic I believe I have some knowledge on, but there are folks out there who take it to the nth degree and blow me straight out of the water. No sources will ever be provided, everything will come from the top of their head, and they will always forever think that whatever topic it is that they are weighing on, that their opinion is more validated than everyone elses, and may whatever God you pray to have mercy on your pitiful soul if you even attempt to show them why they're wrong. I can't even watch a fucking cat video anymore without hovering down to a comments section just to see some stupid bullshit someone posted.
Let's take this for example: A doctor shows you that you have cancer and need immediate treatment. You scream at him because you watched a youtube video from Infowars that cancer doesn't exist and also because you were raised in a good Christian home, therefor, you are healthy. Doctor explains why you have little to no time left and why your reasons are idiotic. You don't listen and storm out like a five year old. You die a week later because cancer.
That's basically the equivalent here. If you have 0 knowledge on whatever topic you are about to weigh in on, hold that thought for a moment, and then just let it go. Let it roam free away. You'll be a lot smarter for it.

That's all that can come to my mind at the moment, but this just scratches the surface.

Edit - Technology! Not that it's a bad thing, it's a good thing, it has given us a plethora of comforts, but with all good things, people will manage a way to take a good thing, and take a flaccid dump over it.
Take a cell phone for example. What was actually a pretty useful tool, a handheld device capable of communicating with anyone on a whim, has now become one of the dumbest fucking things people fawn over. "NEW IPHONE S8 GALAXY JUPITER TO MARS RELEASED! OVER 10,000 BRAIN DEAD APPS READY TO BE INSTALLED! BUY NOW FOR ONLY 10 EASY PAYMENTS OF $100!". Aside from the massive pricks that can't put their phone away for more than five seconds at a time, the cell phone tied with Facebook has easily made everyone more distant from one another. Social gatherings? There's an app for it. Dating? App. Shopping? App.
It's stupid, people don't have any incentive whatsoever to interact with one another. You can do everything on your phone! Bonus points if you pull your phone out while you're driving. I recommend a mountain pass where the roads turn frequently. If you're lucky, you'll barrel through a barrier and careen off a cliff! Too much work for you? There's an app for that.
I love the idea of a cellphone and being able to communicate with anyone at any given time. Hell, I have one of those new androids, only because I wanted the camera to take dick pictures and a decent WiFi connection, so all my conquer club needs can be met. But everyone else who can't even put their phone down to just look someone in the eye and have an actual heart to heart conversation? Lost cause.
I have an unyielding hatred for social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or whatever. Major contributors to what I believe is going to be a major issue in the future, when someone actually looks up and notices that there are real people merely feet away.

Another undying hatred for is electronic applications. What happened to the dressing to impress, showing up and asking for an application, and a quick introduction as to whom you are? Now we have this generic look-alike applications with no face or personality behind them (unless you include a picture, but...why?). I don't know where exactly this craze was catching on, but it boggles the mind.

Speaking of sensitive people earlier, I don't understand how any sane person can argue that being obese is healthy. It isn't, not by a long shot. Porking down on McDonalds everyday as your go-to-choice for every course meal is not a healthy decision, and it should rightfully be condemned. If you look like that blueberry kid from William Wonka and the chocolate factory, there's a good chance that your food choices suck ass, and you should immediately change your diet. You don't even need to go to the gym for it! It certainly would expedite the process a lot quicker if you did go to the gym, but I won't say you should go, because I hate the gym. Fat shaming be praised, if it gets lard ass to eat healthier, then my job is complete and you're welcome.
I like the hypocrites though that prowl Facebook non-stop as some sort of internet police force, looking for any models or aspiring models just so they can shame them for showing too much skin. Usually fat old women that haven't been laid in thirty years with a cooter smelling like crawfish.

Another thing, going back to weightless opinions, I'm so sick of shitty journalists doing a shitty job on reporting, and they should immediately be fired, and go back to college to re-earn their degree. Guns for example. If I see one more idiot think that an AR-15 means Assault Rifle - 15, I'll punch a baby.
This is exactly why I think journalism is in the gutter right now. These ass hats make a business on reporting misery because misery sells. But when a journalist can't even get basic facts straight, and makes a weightless unbiased opinion that people treat as fact, it causes a problem. Bullet buttons! BULLET BUTTONS!


Can we get an exec summary?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 pm

People suck.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby patches70 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 am

Yeah, the world of today is soooo fucked up. Lemme ask people, in what era would you have rather been born in if not this one?

You could have been born in ages past where you chopped wood all day every day until you dropped dead of a heart attack at 45, if you were lucky. Or in ancient times where you would have been born a slave, your crappy tribe being wiped out by the next tribe over. Or maybe in Roman times having orgies, slaves and going insane from drinking water from lead pipes.

Maybe in an age before toilet paper, wouldn't that be a blast? Wiping your ass with your finger because you don't have a corn cob handy. Take an arrow to the knee? Forget it, you're gonna die badly and slowly. Born when you didn't dare drink water because you'd get sick and fucking die pissing from your asshole so you had to stay drunk 24/7 because wine was the only safe thing to drink. Having to worry about things bigger than you that have lots of teeth and claws that has no problems making of you a nice meal.

Maybe being born a Spartan but you've got some minor birth defect so they just toss your infant body off a cliff because you just aren't worth the time and trouble to allow to live. Actually, that would be a blessing considering the times. Maybe being born in the wild wild west digging in the dry dirt trying to get some crops growing, cutting down trees and building your own freaking log cabin that you have to pack mud into the cracks just to keep the drafts out.
Your greatest ambition just being able to survive the year.

As fucked up as the world is today, as stupid and moronic people seem, life is so much better now than it ever has in the history of human beings short time on this Earth. A world where your biggest problem is having to deal with morons. Better to deal with morons than highway robbers, Thuggees, Viking raiding parties, White man diseases wiping out your tribe. Thank God people have to actively work to find things that outrage them, that you have time to even sit around and think of how stupid people are instead of having to spend all day every day just trying to get enough food, shelter, security just to survive another stinking day. Thank God that if you even get the sniffles you can go to a doctor, get lifesaving drugs and operations for ailments that just 50 years ago would have been a death sentence otherwise. Thank God that you can even read and write, the vast majority of human beings that ever was certainly couldn't.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But we've come a long way, baby, no need to fret because there is more hope now than ever before in our existence. Will we end up just destroying ourselves? Maybe, but at least we got the luxury to complain about the world instead of actually struggling to survive in it like the vast majority of human existence has had to endure.

99% of you fuckers wouldn't last a week in the days of old. And where ever your corpse ended up, no one would give a f*ck, your body would just lay there to be scavenged by animals. You wouldn't even be worth the effort of a shallow grave.

All we do
is toil and slave,
saving for a shallow grave.


That's how it used to be. And ya'll got the gawl to complain, Ha! Virtually the entire sum of human knowledge at your fingertips and somehow people think it is worse now than ever before. You suckers haven't even begun to know true misery. The simple fact that you can read this tirade is proof enough you got it better than than all the generations past combined. Whatever, cry about how bad the world is and keep ignoring how blessed you all are. How lucky you are compared with your ancestors who came before you and struggled in ways you can't imagine so that you could sit on your asses in front of a screen and complain how bad it all is.


Thank God that we have the luxury of "being soft". Being a hardassed frontier's man ain't all that it's cracked up to be, that's for sure. The average western citizen lives better, and longer, than the Kings of the old ages.

Now that's progress, people, no need to live in angst, take a moment to count your blessings and be grateful for those generations who came before that never had a chance to live "soft".
Last edited by patches70 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private patches70
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 am

patches used to be hard like DDS, but then he took an arrow to the knee.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby patches70 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:17 am

mrswdk wrote:patches used to be hard like DDS, but then he took an arrow to the knee.



I got an arrow for ya'.
Private patches70
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby 2dimes on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 am

That speech should be made on television.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 7854
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Unable to sync with satellites.
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4) General Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 am

This is why I asked for a comparison to which year. Don't think anyone would draw a comparison to ancient Rome to now and say "Gee, Rome was awesome, I'd rather live in that time".

Even then, my long bitch rant is focused on problems of today.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am

Still cba to read your essay but I did notice:

the cell phone tied with Facebook has easily made everyone more distant from one another. Social gatherings? There's an app for it. Dating? App.


Sounds like mobile phone apps have made it easier than ever for people to connect with one another.

Or did you like it back when the only way to meet women was to pester strangers on the bus?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:This is why I asked for a comparison to which year. Don't think anyone would draw a comparison to ancient Rome to now and say "Gee, Rome was awesome, I'd rather live in that time".

Even then, my long bitch rant is focused on problems of today.

----Well, let us see...Rome was the leader of the known world,made up of many cultures...Rome protected it's borders while letting it's interior collapse from the inside out...Rome had free grain for it's citizens...THE UNITED STATES IS THE LEADER OF THE KNOWN WORLD IN 2017,made up of many cultures...THE UNITED STATES PROTECTS IT'S BORDERS,FIGHTS WARS FAR AWAY FROM IT'S SHORES...WHILE LETTING IT'S INTERIOR COLLAPSE FROM WITHIN...THE UNITED STATES HAS FREE FOOD/WELFARE... ,HEY,GUESS WHAT... YOU ARE LIVING IN THAT TIME...ALTHOUGH BACK THEN,PEOPLE GOT AROUND BY THE POWER OF THEIR OWN TWO FEET,NOT RIDDING AROUND IN CARS TO GO 1 STREET BLOCK TO THE CORNER STORE... :roll: ...ONCE AGAIN, YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF WORLD HISTORY IS SAD... :lol: :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D ...Gee ,America is awesome...You can serve your country,so drug dealers can be safe to sell crack rocks on every street corner....YES WHAT A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE...God bless america... :roll:
User avatar
Sergeant ConfederateSS
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (4) General Contribution (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 am

I guess I just prefer physical interaction rather than electronic. To each their own.

Here's a complete study of the phone usage:
https://hackernoon.com/how-much-time-do-people-spend-on-their-mobile-phones-in-2017-e5f90a0b10a6

Over 4 hours a day is a bit absurd.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 am

ConfederateSS wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:This is why I asked for a comparison to which year. Don't think anyone would draw a comparison to ancient Rome to now and say "Gee, Rome was awesome, I'd rather live in that time".

Even then, my long bitch rant is focused on problems of today.

----Well, let us see...Rome was the leader of the known world,made up of many cultures...Rome protected it's borders while letting it's interior collapse from the inside out...Rome had free grain for it's citizens...THE UNITED STATES IS THE LEADER OF THE KNOWN WORLD IN 2017,made up of many cultures...THE UNITED STATES PROTECTS IT'S BORDERS,FIGHTS WARS FAR AWAY FROM IT'S SHORES...WHILE LETTING IT'S INTERIOR COLLAPSE FROM WITHIN...THE UNITED STATES HAS FREE FOOD/WELFARE... ,HEY,GUESS WHAT... YOU ARE LIVING IN THAT TIME...ALTHOUGH BACK THEN,PEOPLE GOT AROUND BY THE POWER OF THEIR OWN TWO FEET,NOT RIDDING AROUND IN CARS TO GO 1 STREET BLOCK TO THE CORNER STORE... :roll: ...ONCE AGAIN, YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF WORLD HISTORY IS SAD... :lol: :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D ...Gee ,America is awesome...You can serve your country,so drug dealers can be safe to sell crack rocks on every street corner....YES WHAT A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE...God bless america... :roll:

It must have been an incredibly sad day when you slithered out of the abortion bucket. I weep for mankind.

There's plenty of reasons why I would not draw a comparison from Rome to America. One of which, being an incredibly massive gap of then to today.
Rome at it's time, didn't have safe spaces, stress cards for their military, McDonalds, cellphones, or even toilet paper. They didn't have stores either, where they can ride on horseback, chariot or otherwise that would be one block away. Do you see why I'm not comparing Apples to Oranges yet, you dumb pizza delivery careerist?

And where do you get off from saying that my service supports drug dealings? You truly are the dumbest person that has ever graced CC. Everyone reading your post has now become dumber. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on...Whatever it is you possess.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 am

I dunno, your argument was that it's made people more distant from each other. Judging by the first report in your article that concludes people spend 4 hours a day on their phones, mobile phones seem to be replacing time spent on TV, newspapers, radio etc. rather than dragging people away from time spent with other people. Instead of TV, people watch YouTube. Instead of newspapers, people read news online. Instead of radio, people use Spotify. Other than that, they're on their phones talking to other people. Sounds fine to me.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 am

Guess it's just me and what little time I spent at college, I notice people on their phones at a near constant, can't even bother looking up to see where they're going. The ones that do it while they drive are the worst...
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?


No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.


Whoosh
Corporal DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7688
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Medals: 18
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am

mrswdk wrote:I dunno, your argument was that it's made people more distant from each other. Judging by the first report in your article that concludes people spend 4 hours a day on their phones, mobile phones seem to be replacing time spent on TV, newspapers, radio etc. rather than dragging people away from time spent with other people. Instead of TV, people watch YouTube. Instead of newspapers, people read news online. Instead of radio, people use Spotify. Other than that, they're on their phones talking to other people. Sounds fine to me.


People used to watch tv and newspapers so they had something to talk about with other people. There was somewhat of a shared community. Since everyone read the same news (or one of 4 papers) and everyone watched the same tv (or one of 4 shows that was on) these things helped build a common base from which to start a real conversation. Now it's too easy to be a specialist in an unhealthy manner. I have never met a single person IRL who gives even half a care about Ethiopian airport towers, which forces me online if I want to find someone to talk to it about. This push online for discussion furthers the divide between the real world and me. As terrible and evil as State-controlled media might be, it really is the best thing.
SaucyJack wrote:If I wanted to play a stacking game, I'd play Jenga.
User avatar
Captain DoomYoshi
 
Posts: 9469
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Wessel Marchinbar Island
Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (14)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby waauw on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 am

Nothing new here. Technology has always advanced faster than cultural adjustments. Over time I'm sure people will be able to deal better with the IRL-digital divide, but that stuff sometimes takes generations.
User avatar
Lieutenant waauw
 
Posts: 4498
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 am

DoomYoshi wrote:People used to watch tv and newspapers so they had something to talk about with other people. There was somewhat of a shared community. Since everyone read the same news (or one of 4 papers) and everyone watched the same tv (or one of 4 shows that was on)


It's a shame because you'd think having 60 different major news outlets from all around the world might give people access to a diverse range of information, but in reality every single platform seems to have spent today running headlines about the US embassy being moved to Jerusalem.

(all except the Global Times, whose World News section has refreshingly devoted its main headline to smog in New Delhi)

these things helped build a common base from which to start a real conversation.


In the UK people just talk about the weather.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby patches70 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:I guess I just prefer physical interaction rather than electronic. To each their own.

Here's a complete study of the phone usage:
https://hackernoon.com/how-much-time-do-people-spend-on-their-mobile-phones-in-2017-e5f90a0b10a6

Over 4 hours a day is a bit absurd.


My daughter has one of those phones where you can browse the interwebz and such (she makes fun of my old flip phone).

When she got it I told her if I ever see you whipping that out at the dinner table, or your face stuck in it when having conversations with people, I'd smack that phone right out of her hand and kick her ass.

She feels the same way about how engrossed people get about their phones so I have no issues with her and and phone. What other people do I couldn't care less because I'm not responsible for those people. In fact, I laugh when I see some joker with their face stuck in their phone and walk straight into a fountain, a door or a wall. It's hilarious actually.

You should try to learn to not sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff instead. Though don't do that if you are a Senator, that seems to be a no-no.
Private patches70
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 pm

patches70 wrote:My daughter has one of those phones where you can browse the interwebz and such (she makes fun of my old flip phone).

When she got it I told her if I ever see you whipping that out at the dinner table, or your face stuck in it when having conversations with people, I'd smack that phone right out of her hand and kick her ass.


Best way to keep kids in line is threaten to tie them to the back of your car and drive them round the streets at 70mph.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

mrswdk wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:People used to watch tv and newspapers so they had something to talk about with other people. There was somewhat of a shared community. Since everyone read the same news (or one of 4 papers) and everyone watched the same tv (or one of 4 shows that was on)


It's a shame because you'd think having 60 different major news outlets from all around the world might give people access to a diverse range of information, but in reality every single platform seems to have spent today running headlines about the US embassy being moved to Jerusalem.

(all except the Global Times, whose World News section has refreshingly devoted its main headline to smog in New Delhi)

these things helped build a common base from which to start a real conversation.


In the UK people just talk about the weather.


Well I just checked Makezine, and they are actually running a headline on MakerFaire in Shenzen. GQ is running a story on Kanye's ugly new sneakers.

I'm glad you brought up the example of the UK, since in the UK it's most visible to me of the destruction of a shared culture. When Shakespeare wrote, he threw in a ton of allusions to Greek myth and Roman poetry. In his day all the educated class studied Greek and Roman and pretty much used the same curriculum for about 800 years (until WWI). Now when reading Shakespeare, all that common culture is no longer common and now needs a series of footnotes, even for PPE grads. So, imagine this trend continuing where "Timon of Athens" is already unrecognized, soon "Hamlet" might become unrecognized. At the end of this slope is a world without Robin Hood or King Arthur or the Tudors or any other good shared culture. What will replace it? The very things that are replacing it. In the internet era, we've gone from Survivor to Kim Kardashian. There have always been fashions and trends and ephemeral topics of discussion. The problem is that those trends are replacing the thousand years of British history (since you were rescued by the Franch) but not with anything substantive. As the shared culture gets smaller and smaller, more and more people are lost to the unshared cultures of microspecializations.
SaucyJack wrote:If I wanted to play a stacking game, I'd play Jenga.
User avatar
Captain DoomYoshi
 
Posts: 9469
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Wessel Marchinbar Island
Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (14)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby mrswdk on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm

What’s so good about Shakespeare? Compared to, say, Game of Thrones.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk
 
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Niger
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The World Of Today

Postby waauw on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm

mrswdk wrote:What’s so good about Shakespeare? Compared to, say, Game of Thrones.

It's finished.
User avatar
Lieutenant waauw
 
Posts: 4498
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (10)

PreviousNext

Return to A Place for People to Practice How to Love

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users