Conquer Club

Trends for 2018

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Trends for 2018

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 am

There are quite a few articles talking about trends in interior decor, fashion, web design etc. This is for research and thinking trends. It doesn't have to be for next year specifically, since research takes a few years to get going. What are the good and bad trends that you notice in your field?

Here are some:
1) Statistical Skepticism: For too long in the life-sciences, the biologists have thrown ANOVA tables at everything. People are going to start (rightly) questioning this use of that table, especially in field studies where sample sizes can't be controlled.
2) Research Humility: A good example of this is the whole wheat bread debate. Some scientists legitimately believe that whole wheat bread is no better or actually worse for you. They do this by comparing certain things that they can measure after people eat bread. Research humility would be acknowledging that there are still things we can't measure. This trend has been a long time coming (Lindley wrote The End of Physics in 1994, Horgan wrote The End of Science in 1996, for more recent examples, see Stannard The End of Discovery [2010] or this article)
3) China: It seems they are finally cracking down on the crap. Basically, the country values personal achievement over everything so publishing for them is a matter of life-or-death. It's no surprise that over 50% of all research from China is fabricated and eventually retracted.
4) ArXiv for Life Sciences: This will probably never happen but it's my number one wishlist (yes, I know there is a biostats section). I was surprised to learn this year that most published math journal articles have errors. To see the comments on those errors and the correction, you need to go to the arXiv anyway, so I'm not quite sure why there are still mathematical journals.

Outside of my field:
1) Linguistic Turn 2.0: Words don't create Platonic ideals (original linguistic turn), they don't describe platonic ideals (classic philosophy) rather they are ideals in and of themselves. Basically, a conception of reality that allows for those of us who perceive the world through language instead of through whatever else the rest of you use.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: Trends for 2018

Postby waauw on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37 am

coming trend for 2018:
every dictionnary ever wrote:Doomyoshism
Noun

[mass noun]
1. Starting a philosophical thread nobody cares about
1.1 sophistry that leads nowhere
'A certain special one was infecting the forum with doomyoshisms.'
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Most of those are long running, even decades old (being sceptical about statistics? Really?)

Difficult to predict new trends, but my guesses...

1) A backlash against sexual assault claims. Bit of a no-brainer, this one. Obama era over-reach plus a Trump-era dismissal of women as liars.

2) A growing acceptance of transexuals. The religious right over played its hand this year. Things will get worse before they get better, but as with other minority groups, the fear is easily dispelled by reality.

3) Mental illness vs guns will become even more of a football. Linking it to crime was always problematic, but using it as an excuse will be more and more troublesome as more cash goes to gun lobbying and less towards healthcare.

4) Oddly enough- the NFL. I think it's in trouble next year. Head injuries, political opposition (the VP went to a game just so he could be seen leaving this year), college level scandals...

So anyway, those are my dodgy predictions.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby waauw on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Symmetry wrote:1) A backlash against sexual assault claims. Bit of a no-brainer, this one. Obama era over-reach plus a Trump-era dismissal of women as liars.

Funny you're saying that. I encountered an article about it just a few hours ago.

Psychology Today - Joe Kort PhD wrote:The Dark Side of Outing Men’s Sexual Misdeeds
Generalization of men is the enemy of understanding

With the recent spate of revelations about powerful men behaving inappropriately toward non-consenting people without power—including women, girls, boys and men—I have some concern that, as a culture, we are quick to jump to the easiest conclusion: that all men are libidinous beasts, unable to control their impulses, and prone to harmful, pathological behavior. There is a name for where this leads: Misandry, meaning hatred of men. It corresponds to misogyny, hatred of women.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/understanding-the-erotic-code/201712/the-dark-side-outing-men-s-sexual-misdeeds?collection=1109403
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm

You know you need to put down the American news and go for a walk outside when you’re a British guy whose immediate response to ‘what are next year’s trends?’ is ‘guns’ and ‘NFL head injuries’.

Unfortunately the trend in the UK seems to be towards American-style race politics. ‘Black people’ this and ‘white people’ that. Hopefully 2018 will see that reverse but a bunch of younger recent grads I’ve met recently seem obsessed with ‘cultural appropriation’ so next year’s trend here will probably be towards genocide of white people.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 pm

mrswdk wrote:You know you need to put down the American news and go for a walk outside when you’re a British guy whose immediate response to ‘what are next year’s trends?’ is ‘guns’ and ‘NFL head injuries’.

Unfortunately the trend in the UK seems to be towards American-style race politics. ‘Black people’ this and ‘white people’ that. Hopefully 2018 will see that reverse but a bunch of younger recent grads I’ve met recently seem obsessed with ‘cultural appropriation’ so next year’s trend here will probably be towards genocide of white people.

I didn't mention race in any of my predictions.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:58 pm

mrswdk wrote:You know you need to put down the American news and go for a walk outside when you’re a British guy whose immediate response to ‘what are next year’s trends?’ is ‘guns’ and ‘NFL head injuries’.

=D>

Any time I get a chance (which unfortunately is not too often) I get the BBC feed.

I remember a few years back when South Sudan became independent. Huge story on the BBC. Not a single mention in the American media, anywhere that I saw.

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm

perhaps he is shopping for/trying to remain relevant to an american boyfriend?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 pm

riskllama wrote:

Perhaps, and there is obviously more evidence for this, you're trying to use homosexuality as an excuse to discredit me.

Seems a little lame, llama.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:
riskllama wrote:

Perhaps, and there is obviously more evidence for this, you're trying to use homosexuality as an excuse to discredit me.

pardon?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm

riskllama wrote:pardon?

granted
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

try the other definition, maybe... :idea:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 am

More or less the same old bullshit from '16 trickling into '18. Sums up next years prediction.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Bernie Sanders on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 am

Dukasaur wrote:

=D>

Any time I get a chance (which unfortunately is not too often) I get the BBC feed.

I remember a few years back when South Sudan became independent. Huge story on the BBC. Not a single mention in the American media, anywhere that I saw.

Stop watching Fox and friends
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby Bernie Sanders on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:33 am

Symmetry wrote:
riskllama wrote:

Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 am

Symmetry wrote: (being sceptical about statistics? Really?)

Not being skeptical about statistics in general, but skeptical about terrible use of statistics in particular. You might think this is worse in the popular press than in the scientific world, but they are both horrendous at it.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm

I once went to a conference where a government official (not from the UK) stood up on stage and said that 160% of his country's exports went to China.

I also recently saw a great article by a policy analyst which stated that trade at a border post between two of the Central Asian 'stans' had recently decreased by 280%.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby 2dimes on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 pm

That sounds about turnip percent true.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby MnrToti on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Bernie Sanders wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
riskllama wrote:

What's her name?
I'm asking for a friend.
Sergeant MnrToti

Postby riskllama on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm

mannie quinn?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby karel on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

you left wing nuts need to get over the damn gun thing and focus on more important issues
Corporal karel

Postby patches70 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:48 am

DoomYoshi wrote:

Not being skeptical about statistics in general, but skeptical about terrible use of statistics in particular. You might think this is worse in the popular press than in the scientific world, but they are both horrendous at it.

The thing about statistics is that if you torture numbers long enough you can get them to say anything you want them to say.
Private patches70

Postby waauw on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:27 am

karel wrote:you left wing nuts need to get over the damn gun thing and focus on more important issues

Indeed, like the Trump's rapes and the ongoing inquiry into his treasonous connections to Russia.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 am

waauw wrote:
karel wrote:you left wing nuts need to get over the damn gun thing and focus on more important issues

Indeed, like the Trump's rapes and the ongoing inquiry into his treasonous connections to Russia.

Excellent suggestion Karel.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:

There was a great Penn and Teller episode on this subject. But yes, I agree whole heartedly.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,