Conquer Club

Bookshops

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Bookshops

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm

So I've been touting my novel around various local bookshops here in Cali- apparently my naive assumption that writing the book was the author's job, and then everyone would magically realise it was available (and brilliant) and go buy it was wrong. This is fun and seems to be working - it's available in several local bookshops now and lots more to visit in the next few days... and with at least one "author event" coming up. The only trouble is that this means I'm visiting lots of decent bookshops, and have to exercise extreme self-discipline not to walk out with armfuls of new purchases.

Just in case you didn't know about the book, the title is "The Dragon's Run", the ISBN is 978-1533007261 and the author is of course Gareth John Jones. You can order it from Amazon/Barnes and Noble/ anyone else who sells books online - but by far my preferrred option would be for people to go order it from their friendly local bookshop.

Oh, and if you have an Amazon account you can go review it there, whether you bought it through them or not... and there's plenty of other places to do reviews like "Goodreads". I am learning that nothing sells a book like a lot of good reviews.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Re: Bookshops

Postby KoolBak on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

And why can't we buy it directly from you at a discount (where you probly earn more anyway)?

I wouldn't make you go to Amazon or Seattle Marine to buy a Koolbak......

(dirty rotten, floor flushing, no good......)

As an aside, all those cool neighborhood bookstores I loved growing up are gone. Only Barnes & Noble now....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:58 am

Kinda my point. I know a number of very cool bookshops all over the place, and if I can help 'em survive, that's a good thing. But sure, you can buy direct from me if you like. The price wouldn't be much different 'cos I have to pay to get it shipped to me, then pay to get it shipped to you.

One thing I've discovered is that local bookshops will only order from CreateSpace (who print my novel) if somebody specifically requests it - that's because they're owned by Amazon, and all retailers hate Amazon. ( I remember how much as a games retailer I loathed Games Workshop). The dilemma is that CreateSpace offer the author a much better deal on printing.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:59 am

Also I don't know much about Oregon, but I do know that Portland has one of the biggest and best bookshops in the entire universe.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 am

Powells. f*ck yeah man. A staple ;o)

Have you researched being an Indie on kindle / kindle unlimited? Have met several cool authors thru there I could link you up with to chat should you wish.

If I bought one, which I plan on, I want it signed, dammit!!!

AND:

Postby 2dimes on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:32 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Also I don't know much about Oregon, but I do know that Portland has one of the biggest and best bookshops in the entire universe.

Plus if the film is correct you can ride a giant rabbit.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 am

KoolBak wrote:Powells. f*ck yeah man. A staple ;o)

Have you researched being an Indie on kindle / kindle unlimited? Have met several cool authors thru there I could link you up with to chat should you wish.

If I bought one, which I plan on, I want it signed, dammit!!!

OK. In that case of course I have to sell it direct - I have no plans for an author's tour of Oregon...
It is available as a kindle/nook offering. I haven't looked at kindle unlimited yet, it's on my list of things to do. Most such schemes actually cost the author yet more money from what I've seen.

Oh, and Powells. Yeah, if they'd build me an apartment inside there, I'd only ever go out to get to a pub.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:47 am

And yes, I can sell copies direct, signed, with a personal message, and, hell, a clipping of my beard if you like. It would please me greatly to have a copy of my novel in the Koolbak domicile.

PS I just googled what a Koolbak is for the first time. Thinking about it.. would you sign mine if I bought it?
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am

:lol:

In blood if I chop off more fingers ;o) Do NOT buy it off my site brother...shoot me a PM. We can discuss the book as well....

AND:

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:01 am

Very successful day today - all the copies of the novel which I had are now in Californian bookshops (and one comic shop), 7 shops so far, with the possible addition v. soon of a couple more. We were going to see a few more bookshops today, but ran out of copies. More on order now. there are now shops in Vallejo, Benicia (2 or 'em, with the possibility of it being added to the stock at the tourist centre), Orinda, and several different shops in Berkeley.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am

Nice.

RE: Powells....Agreed on the apartment idea. Place just makes me happy. Spent a LOT of time there in college, but I'm just a kindle unlimited whore now :lol:

AND:

Postby 2dimes on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 am

You don't have to answer but, did you sell them or are they on some form of consignment?

Either way congrats.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 am

Some of each.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:32 pm

You're in the Bay Area? Let's hang out!
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Where are you?
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby tzor on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 pm

One of these days I have to finish that book. I'm up to 65% and it's really getting good at that point.
Back on Long Island we still have the Book Revue in Huntington, Long Island's largest independent bookstore. Lots of famous people have done book signings there.
Cadet tzor

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 am

tzor wrote:One of these days I have to finish that book. I'm up to 65% and it's really getting good at that point.
Back on Long Island we still have the Book Revue in Huntington, Long Island's largest independent bookstore. Lots of famous people have done book signings there.

I'm in the NYC area far more often than I'd like to be... I'd love to do an author event sometime.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,