Conquer Club

The Easily Offended

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Easily Offended

Postby warmonger1981 on Mon May 21, 2018 7:08 am

What Happened?
Captain warmonger1981

Re: The Easily Offended

Postby Bernie Sanders on Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 am

Read and you'll answer your own question.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby riskllama on Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm

somebody got easily offended, best guess.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm

It's an interesting one- I think the right wing shifted a while back into identity politics, but it's heightened over the years. Now even conservatives are offended by everything, and to an extreme degree.

Women wanting equality= evil feminists
Women wanting control of their bodies= murderers, genocidal maniacs, etc.
African American football players kneeling to protest police violence= traitors to the United States
Hispanic-Americans= illegals, rapists, animals, unfit to judge white people

It just goes on and on, how easily offended conservatives have become.

Here are a few of my favourites from the last week or so:

Conservatives freak out about President Obama on Netflix:
Obama Content Deal With Netflix Stokes Calls For Conservative Boycotts On Twitter

Conservatives freak out over the Cheesecake Factory:
Conservatives launch Cheesecake Factory boycott over MAGA spat
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby karel on Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 pm

dude you have no clue,god damn snowflakes
Corporal karel

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm

karel wrote:dude you have no clue,god damn snowflakes

Be fair to the OP.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby karel on Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm

why...cuz left is always right?left hates and promotes it,i will never stand down to a lame brain snowflake..left biggest fooking joke ever
Corporal karel

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 23, 2018 11:22 pm

karel wrote:why...cuz left is always right?left hates and promotes it,i will never stand down to a lame brain snowflake..left biggest fooking joke ever

It's a courageous thing- standing against a flake of snow. You shall never be seen as a joke for your "fooking" stance.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 am

Symmetry wrote:It's an interesting one- I think the right wing shifted a while back into identity politics, but it's heightened over the years. Now even conservatives are offended by everything, and to an extreme degree.

African American football players kneeling to protest police violence= traitors to the United States

Obama Content Deal With Netflix Stokes Calls For Conservative Boycotts On Twitter

Wait... the right wing shifted to identify politics? That's the conclusion you've drawn? And a while back? Wowzers.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby 2dimes on Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 am

warmonger1981 wrote:What Happened?

It's never been better.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 25, 2018 1:17 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:It's an interesting one- I think the right wing shifted a while back into identity politics, but it's heightened over the years. Now even conservatives are offended by everything, and to an extreme degree.

Wait... the right wing shifted to identify politics? That's the conclusion you've drawn? And a while back? Wowzers.

You disagree?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

You disagree?

It's not so much that I disagree as you're entire premise lacks basic evidence. Conservatives did not invent and certainly do not actively participate in identity politics. That trait belongs entirely to liberals.

Postby warmonger1981 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 am

The Right is starting to use the Lefts playbook. Fair game.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 am

warmonger1981 wrote:The Right is starting to use the Lefts playbook. Fair game.

The two links Symmetry provided above have nothing to do with identity politics... just politics. Someone doesn't like President Obama, so he/she is not going to watch Netflix (and he/she will miss out on excellent television). Someone doesn't like Chick-Fil-A's stance on gay marriage, so he/she is not going to go to Chick-Fil-A (and he/she will miss out on decent chicken sandwiches and outstanding customer service).

The definition for the term identity politics is easily google-able - a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

You disagree?

It's not so much that I disagree as you're entire premise lacks basic evidence. Conservatives did not invent and certainly do not actively participate in identity politics. That trait belongs entirely to liberals.

Conservatism is inherently about identity politics in many ways. I think you're confusing criticisms of right wing wing identity politics with liberalism,
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

You disagree?

Conservatism is inherently about identity politics in many ways. I think you're confusing criticisms of right wing wing identity politics with liberalism,

No, I'm actually not. You're confusing politics with identity politics unless, of course, you've created your own definition of identity politics. I've provided the standard definition which your OP does not come close to describing. If you want to talk about butt hurt conservatives complaining about Netflix and Obama, go right ahead, but that's not identity politics.

Also, a right wing wing would not be delicious - definitely too bland; not enough hot sauce.

Postby warmonger1981 on Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am

Captain warmonger1981

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

You disagree?

No, I'm actually not. You're confusing politics with identity politics unless, of course, you've created your own definition of identity politics. I've provided the standard definition which your OP does not come close to describing. If you want to talk about butt hurt conservatives complaining about Netflix and Obama, go right ahead, but that's not identity politics.

Also, a right wing wing would not be delicious - definitely too bland; not enough hot sauce.

I'm really not interested in doing this "No... you're confused!" routine thing with you again.

Can you provide an example of a current conservative government that isn't heavily involved in identity politics? Perhaps that would advance the discussion.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby karel on Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Symmetry wrote:
karel wrote:why...cuz left is always right?left hates and promotes it,i will never stand down to a lame brain snowflake..left biggest fooking joke ever

It's a courageous thing- standing against a flake of snow. You shall never be seen as a joke for your "fooking" stance.

STFU
Corporal karel

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm

karel wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

STFU

STFU
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 pm

karel wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

STFU

Wow, you guys are easily offended.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Symmetry wrote:
I'm really not interested in doing this "No... you're confused!" routine thing with you again.

Can you provide an example of a current conservative government that isn't heavily involved in identity politics? Perhaps that would advance the discussion.

Again, it’s not so much that you are confused; it’s more that you’re simply wrong. You’ve mislabeled your attempt at baiting as identity politics when it’s simply politics.

So no, I will not provide an example. You’re wrong, you know you’re wrong, and, as usual, you will not admit you are wrong. When you can grow up, we can have a conversation about either (1) the virtues of boycotting a business for political reasons or (2) identity politics.

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Again, it’s not so much that you are confused; it’s more that you’re simply wrong. You’ve mislabeled your attempt at baiting as identity politics when it’s simply politics.

So no, I will not provide an example. You’re wrong, you know you’re wrong, and, as usual, you will not admit you are wrong. When you can grow up, we can have a conversation about either (1) the virtues of boycotting a business for political reasons or (2) identity politics.

I didn't really expect you to be able to back up your argument beyond "Na-uh, you're wrong!" to be honest, TGD. I just thought it might be worth asking you to and perhaps I would be pleasantly surprised.

You seem very uncomfortable discussing identity politics without other people first accepting your given definitions. That seems a little narrow-minded. Do you think that identity politics has just become politics for the right? That it's so deeply ingrained that it's now virtually inseparable? I can only infer that meaning from your post, given your reluctance to engage.

I would be happy to discuss the issue, of course, barring weird pre-conditions.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I didn't really expect you to be able to back up your argument beyond "Na-uh, you're wrong!" to be honest, TGD. I just thought it might be worth asking you to and perhaps I would be pleasantly surprised.

You seem very uncomfortable discussing identity politics without other people first accepting your given definitions. That seems a little narrow-minded. Do you think that identity politics has just become politics for the right? That it's so deeply ingrained that it's now virtually inseparable? I can only infer that meaning from your post, given your reluctance to engage.

I would be happy to discuss the issue, of course, barring weird pre-conditions.

lol, shut up.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 pm

To be sure, this is the first time I've ever heard the use of generally agreed-upon definitions referred to as a "weird pre-conditions".

When I went to school, we learned that agreeing on common definitions is the basis of any useful discourse. Without it, every discussion soon degenerates into semantic arguments, at which time any sight of the original thesis is lost. Maybe I just went to weird schools.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,