Conquer Club

Coins of North America

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Coins of North America

Postby HitRed on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Before the USA Coinage Act of 1857 you could pay your bills in foreign coins such as Spanish Dollars (also known as pieces of eight) or European coins. Imagine walking into a bank and paying your mortgage in Mexican silver dollars!

Current Market in North America

USA coin collecting dominates the market and will likely continue. Almost all coin holders are based on US coins. A 1916 quarter can be worth well over $12,000. Even in very worn over $2,000. High quality is always in demand. Most American collectors have all the key dates memorized. Up to 1964 US dimes and above were 90% silver.

Canada has by far the best coin designers. You can get extremely high quality, low cost, beautiful coins (Wildlife Series: Birds of Pray, Polar Bears, Lynx among others). The Canadian Mint has endless commemorative coins that show exploration, cultures and national events. Coins displaying sailing ships or steam engines are perticularly eye catching. If you want bright and shinny at low cost start here.

Mexico has huge silver mines, a large population and as we all know lots of poverty. Coins were continuely used just to keep food on the table and continued in circulation till they were worn thin. This makes mint state coins very rare. High prices are also rare too. Most mexican coins under 70 years old can be found selling for junk or just over. Since there is a built in bias against Mexico coins by many Americans you can find key dates at a steal. Knowledge is power.

Whichever way you go...

Before you is a doorway into the culture, history and art of nations.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Re: Coins of North America

Postby warmonger1981 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm

When I was younger I used to collect coins and stamps. Just the pictures on it can give you a feel of the culture from that country. I have coins from ancient Rome, silver coins from 1783. A couple from medieval times but mostly early 20th century. Most of my stamps are pre 1940. Some from the 1850's.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby 2dimes on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am

Look up the 1933 double eagle $20 coin.

Because of a law prohibiting gold being used as currency in the US passed that year, the mint tried to destroy all of them except 2.

Later it was discovered some that had been stolen by a mint employee then sold to a coin dealer were going up for auction. The stolen coins were seized and melted.

The dealer's great grand children still had more of them only a few years ago, when the government found out they seized those coins, the family went to court to try to keep them.

Can you imagine getting caught with something your family had, that was publicly well known to be stolen, yet trying to get the Supreme Court to allow you to keep it?

"But my dad gave it to me."
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 am

2dimes wrote:Look up the 1933 double eagle $20 coin.

Because of a law prohibiting gold being used as currency in the US passed that year, the mint tried to destroy all of them except 2.

Later it was discovered some that had been stolen by a mint employee then sold to a coin dealer were going up for auction. The stolen coins were seized and melted.

The dealer's great grand children still had more of them only a few years ago, when the government found out they seized those coins, the family went to court to try to keep them.

Can you imagine getting caught with something your family had, that was publicly well known to be stolen, yet trying to get the Supreme Court to allow you to keep it?

"But my dad gave it to me."

It's pretty much the basis for most land claims.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 am

On the coin theme, after I had to have my nice platinum wedding ring cut off, I opted for a ring made of a silver proof quater from my wedding year. I think theyre really cool and all sorts of options available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coin-ring-handmade-from-US-SILVER-QUARTER-1940-1964-SIZES-4-8-5-pick-year-size/172348292275?var=&hash=item2820c23cb3

I've always collected coins unofficially. Have about a 10 lb bag of silver dimes / quarters from when I was controller of a company that had payphones and counted about a quarter mill of coins a year. You could always see the silver when it came thru and I'd exchange it for a regular coin. Yes, the owner was cool with it....lol.

Have several years worth of the platinum eagle series that the mint makes every year....I like platinum.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby HitRed on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am

A silver smith uses the coin below to make horse saddle conchos. These coins are huge. 90% silver and larger than a silver dollar. Called the 'Chief' by collectors it has the final Aztec ruler on it.

Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 pm

I want one of those 50th anniversary Apollo 11 coins I can't decide if I should cough the extra to buy a perfect one.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50 ... 27&start=1
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jimboston on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:59 am

2dimes wrote:I want one of those 50th anniversary Apollo 11 coins I can't decide if I should cough the extra to buy a perfect one.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50 ... 27&start=1

Donā€™t. Thereā€™s 400,000 of them... theyā€™ll never be worth anything.

Most stuff produced as ā€˜collectors itemsā€™ rarely become valuable.

The true collectorā€™s items are stuff that no one thinks is collectible and that only later becomes collectable and is valuable because itā€™s rare.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby HitRed on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 am

I agree. I looked at the 5 ounce which is cool but at $260 it is way overpriced.
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am

I was only interested in the 1 ounce unit. The funny thing is there is one from the Canada mint for $137 cdn ungraded. Pfft.

I have never held an ms-70 graded coin. I think the closest I saw was a 69 at the coin show. I would like to buy a perfect coin. Don't want to buy something too expensive. This is already out of my price range or I would have just bought a few already.

No shop seems to have them, I have to import one to have it so it's possible I could re-sell at a small profit right away.

The smaller clad US half dollar is only $20 less. That makes no sense even to a cheapo like me. Might as well cough up the extra for pure silver.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:30 pm

KoolBak wrote:On the coin theme, after I had to have my nice platinum wedding ring cut off, I opted for a ring made of a silver proof quater from my wedding year. I think theyre really cool and all sorts of options available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coin-ring-handmade-from-US-SILVER-QUARTER-1940-1964-SIZES-4-8-5-pick-year-size/172348292275?var=&hash=item2820c23cb3

I've always collected coins unofficially. Have about a 10 lb bag of silver dimes / quarters from when I was controller of a company that had payphones and counted about a quarter mill of coins a year. You could always see the silver when it came thru and I'd exchange it for a regular coin. Yes, the owner was cool with it....lol.

Have several years worth of the platinum eagle series that the mint makes every year....I like platinum.

This is kind of cool, Kool. Do they make them in Yuan, I was thinking of proposing to Mrswdk
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby HitRed on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
This is kind of cool, Kool. Do they make them in Yuan, I was thinking of proposing to Mrswdk

You have to ask The Party for permission first.
Last edited by HitRed on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Well, I hope it's nice. $80.80 us shipped to Canada.

Their price for Eagles is $54 and something.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Only platinum I know of are the platinum eagles....or were you asking about the rings?

Edit...ok.... I'm being thicke :lol:

Double edit....Score!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Size-5-12-Japa ... 6d756uGFCg
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby tzor on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:23 am

KoolBak wrote:Only platinum I know of are the platinum eagles....

Platinum is common elsewhere, but I think is only in the Eagle for the US.
That's generally a $2K coin, although gem proof can get as high as $5K
Well out of MY price range. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I was talking to my coin dealer (after he tried to sell me a Canadian silver coin) and we got into a discussion about platinum.

Everyone pushes gold and silver.
Palladium was supposed to be the poor man's platinum but then computer demand pushed it well above platinum.
Now platinum is cheaper than gold but no one is turning all those coins that they moved from platinum to palladium back to platinum.

A rough look at spot prices shows me the following: Silver $16, Platinum $926, Gold $1466, Palladium $1904.

Since this is "North America" I guess it's OK here. Guess what's going be on the next Silver Maple Leaf?
show
Cadet tzor

Postby 2dimes on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm

I just got my 50th anniversary Apollo 11 coin. I think I over paid. I'm glad I didn't buy the Canadian mint one for more money.

It might be wrong but believe I was reading about Westpoint mint making some Canuck coins.

I think someone needs to start striking less expensive private produced one once rounds in Canada like Sunshine mint.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm

I can't find it so I'm thinking you are likely right about the W if it exists standing for winterpig.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby HitRed on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Everything seems plentiful. Silver, gold, oil, gas, aluminum. Interesting.
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Red grab a flight to Calgary. I'll drive you around and feed you some meals. It's the spring coin show thing tomorrow and Sunday. Bring some pesos to trade.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby HitRed on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:54 pm

I would love that. This weekend I am traveling to another coin show. Hopefully I'll find something nice and undervalued. :)
Captain HitRed

Postby HitRed on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:54 pm

I would love that. It has been way to long since I have looked at coins. This weekend I am traveling to another coin show. Hopefully I'll find something nice and undervalued. :)
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I hope to find some nice quarters with some kings on them.

I have a king Ed ten cent coin but it is worn pretty thin. If I could get a bag of old Canadian dimes I would like to trade it out for a better one then sell a dollar face value with that one slipped in there.

Silver went down this week just in time for the show.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby HitRed on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 pm

I did well at the coin show. Bought phenomenal silver Guatemala coins! All BU+. Also 36 nice Mexico coins at 8% above melt. Couldn't find any Honduras that I liked or a double florin. Maybe next time. Overall Kicked it!

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 am

Nice. I'm just getting ready to go.
Corporal 2dimes

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,