Conquer Club

Making A Living

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Making A Living

Postby notyou2 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 am

This thread is about occupations of great grandfathers, not for blossoming bromances.
Captain notyou2

Postby KoolBak on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 am

notyou2 wrote:This thread is about occupations of great grandfathers, not for blossoming bromances.

Sorry kimosabe....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 pm

The ram wrote:My great grandad was a hard drinking seaman from Tyneside. My other great grandad was a navvi from the Wirral. Good working class northern stock!

I live on the Wirral. There have been a couple other good players on here from there too, and a couple from Liverpool. Only a couple of us left now though.

As for my great grandparents, I only ever knew one of them. He was a pilot in WW2 and a PoW. He lived to 103, died shortly before his 104th and the local paper published it as him being 104 for some reason. Got a medal or something from the Queen's mother when he turned 100. The rest all died before I was born. Even now I have no grandparents and I'm only 25. My family is small.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 am

Speaking of rules of this thread, it's maybe worth mentioning how great grandparents work...

(1) There's you
(2) There's your mother and father
(3a) There's your mother's mother and father (your maternal grandmother and maternal grandfather)
(3b) There's your father's mother and father (your paternal grandmother and paternal grandfather)

Let's pause here - each of you had two grandmothers and two grandfathers.

(4a) There's your maternal grandmother's mother and father (your maternal great grandmother and maternal great grandfather)
(4b) There's your maternal grandfather's mother and father (your maternal great grandmother and maternal great grandfather)
(4c) There's your paternal grandmother's mother and father (your paternal great grandmother and paternal great grandfather)
(4d) There's your paternal grandfather's mother and father (your paternal great grandmother and paternal great grandfather)

So we all have four great grandfathers.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am

Surely everyone knows that?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

unless.. unless one of your great grandparent is in both sides of the family?

think about it.. karel.. rings a bell?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am

My mom was adopted (thank the gods). She researched her parents that loved and raised her; she had no idea who her bio parents were.

So, for literal blood relations, I only have two. BUT, in my heart, I have four and claim them :D

What I mentioned earlier was blood.

AND:

Postby notyou2 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm

nietzsche wrote:unless.. unless one of your great grandparent is in both sides of the family?

think about it.. karel.. rings a bell?

What if his father was his father and his grandfather?

Maybe he's Mormon?
Captain notyou2

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 pm

So I found some research someone had done on my Welsh side.
Turns out I should be more honoured to have the middle name "John". I thought it was after my father, who was called so. My brother's middle name is "Cyril", which was my grandfather's name.
His elder brother was Thomas John, his dad was John Elias (my great-grandfather). his fatther was John, his father was John, and his father was John. Alll I have on him, my great-great-great-great grandfather, is that he was an engineer, he married Mary Andrew, and he died in 1823.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby demonfork on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
notyou2 wrote:What did your great great grandfather do?

Weird that you asked this in the singular...

Wasn't your great grandad Emily pankhurst?

I wish! However, I am one of the many people who have more than one great great grandad (and indeed great grandads). I am also one of the many people who don't have Emily Pankhurst as a great grandfather.

The Ram- how do you feel about kids having two granddads? How about two dads?

Having 2 dads in better than being an orphan.... Like this gay couple.... What an incredible thing that they did for these children...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/el ... cda917f9a5

That said, there is no substitute for having a Mom & a Dad.

P & M > P & P
Major demonfork

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:53 pm

One was the Sheriff of a rural county in Iowa. His brother was the Sheriff before him, too.

Another was an Army officer (artillery).

Another owned a nursery (plants, not children) in Iowa.

Another was a farmer in Iowa.

Another was a gamekeeper in Lower Silesia.

Dunno about the others. I'll ask at the next seance.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Speaking of rules of this thread, it's maybe worth mentioning how great grandparents work...

(1) There's you
(3a) There's your mother's mother and father (your maternal grandmother and maternal grandfather)
(3b) There's your father's mother and father (your paternal grandmother and paternal grandfather)

(4a) There's your maternal grandmother's mother and father (your maternal great grandmother and maternal great grandfather)
(4b) There's your maternal grandfather's mother and father (your maternal great grandmother and maternal great grandfather)
(4c) There's your paternal grandmother's mother and father (your paternal great grandmother and paternal great grandfather)
(4d) There's your paternal grandfather's mother and father (your paternal great grandmother and paternal great grandfather)

But we have eight great great grandfathers.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Yeah
Captain notyou2

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Speaking of rules of this thread, it's maybe worth mentioning how great grandparents work...

(1) There's you

But we have eight great great grandfathers.

Again, Fake News. I cite Karel as evidence.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 pm

My Mum's paternal grandfather appears to have been a complete bastard, abandoning his wife when she became pregnant, and not stepping in when she died and my grandad was 8 years old.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Symmetry on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 pm

demonfork wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Weird that you asked this in the singular...

Wasn't your great grandad Emily pankhurst?

I wish! However, I am one of the many people who have more than one great great grandad (and indeed great grandads). I am also one of the many people who don't have Emily Pankhurst as a great grandfather.

The Ram- how do you feel about kids having two granddads? How about two dads?

Having 2 dads in better than being an orphan.... Like this gay couple.... What an incredible thing that they did for these children...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/el ... cda917f9a5

That said, there is no substitute for having a Mom & a Dad.

P & M > P & P

I don't think gay couples want to be substitutes, but they are equally good at raising kids. That of course means that sometimes P & M does a worse job than a gay couple.

It's always weird to me to see people talk about how if you don't have a mum and a dad then you're somehow less than everyone else. Like that's the only way and there's no substitute.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 am

I think there is some evidence that having two parents (regardless of gender) is better than having one (and certainly none). Anecdotally, my kids are always better behaved and adjusted when both my wife and I are around and involved than when one of us is not.

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am

thegreekdog wrote:I think there is some evidence that having two parents (regardless of gender) is better than having one (and certainly none). Anecdotally, my kids are always better behaved and adjusted when both my wife and I are around and involved than when one of us is not.

I could not agree more. I was a headmaster of a private school in the Greater Vancouver Area for 7 years. We worked with a wide variety of families. Without a doubt, two-parent families are ideal and balanced, unless there is abuse, then all bets are off. I’ll also add, more towards the spirit of this thread, that solid adult support from grandparents, especially within families who were new to the country or where there was recent trauma, was amazing.

Both of my great, great grandfathers were immigrant farmers. One new to the states from Germany who worked on a farm in Nebraska, and the other from Switzerland who was on a farm in Missouri.
Major elfish_lad

Postby KoolBak on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 am

Oot of curiosity, EL, how do YOU pronounce Missouri, phonetically? Ending with "eeee" or "uh"?

Having never been there or having exposure to anyone from there, I see and say "eeee". When I get a customer call from there, they always say "uh", which I assume is correct for natives. Much like people pronouncing Oregon "Or-eee'-GONE" which pisses us off :lol:

(sorry....not meaning to derail....just curious)

AND:

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:37 pm

KoolBak wrote:Oot of curiosity, EL, how do YOU pronounce Missouri, phonetically? Ending with "eeee" or "uh"?

Having never been there or having exposure to anyone from there, I see and say "eeee". When I get a customer call from there, they always say "uh", which I assume is correct for natives. Much like people pronouncing Oregon "Or-eee'-GONE" which pisses us off :lol:

(sorry....not meaning to derail....just curious)

I have always said the “eee” version. My mom, who was born in St. Louis (which she always pronounced “Loo-eee”) only said Mi-zur-uh when her University played the Cornhuskers of Nebraska, my dad’s home state.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 pm

elfish_lad wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I think there is some evidence that having two parents (regardless of gender) is better than having one (and certainly none). Anecdotally, my kids are always better behaved and adjusted when both my wife and I are around and involved than when one of us is not.

I could not agree more. I was a headmaster of a private school in the Greater Vancouver Area for 7 years. We worked with a wide variety of families. Without a doubt, two-parent families are ideal and balanced, unless there is abuse, then all bets are off. I’ll also add, more towards the spirit of this thread, that solid adult support from grandparents, especially within families who were new to the country or where there was recent trauma, was amazing.

Both of my great, great grandfathers were immigrant farmers. One new to the states from Germany who worked on a farm in Nebraska, and the other from Switzerland who was on a farm in Missouri.

You teach the kid, not their background. One of the first schools I taught at in Japan was a feeder school from one of the major orphanages from the Kobe earthquake. It was a hard lesson for me. Every class had at least a couple of kids who had no parents at all, and were maybe physically or mentally scarred by the disaster.

It's your job as a teacher to get through to tough kids. It's easier if they can fall back on privilege, parents, and private schooling, but not everyone gets that. Pontificating about ideal student families and how balanced they are doesn't always fit reality.

Indeed, it's sometimes damaging to the kids that don't fit that mould of an "ideal and balanced" family.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 pm

I don't think anyone was suggesting that orphans or one-parent children couldn't succeed and I don't think anyone was suggesting anything about privilege (although I suppose two parent families could be considered privileged relative to orphans or one-parent families).

Postby Symmetry on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I don't think anyone was suggesting that orphans or one-parent children couldn't succeed and I don't think anyone was suggesting anything about privilege (although I suppose two parent families could be considered privileged relative to orphans or one-parent families).

It just jars a little when someone posts about how they were a head of a selective private school, and that their ideal was a kid from a two parent family (oops, sorry, he did say that if the kid was abused it wasn't ideal).

It genuinely annoys me to hear this stuff from a private school headmaster about ideal students. That kind of nonsense filters down in a school's culture, and it's deeply deeply unfair from the selection process to financing forward. It's a filter that excludes kids from other backgrounds in favour of easy teaching.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 am

Wow. You totally misrepresented my intent.

It wasn’t a selective private school. It was a government funded international school that worked primarily with immigrant familys with an expanded mandate to work with... wait for it... wait for it... troubled and broken families. And if you think for one single minute educators should pretend a child’s family doesn’t have an impact on their education and that an educator should ignore that? Then you would never teach on my staff.

Two (or a number greater than 1) is clearly, proven as the ideal. For the parent as well as child. Single parents, with zero help, are amazing. And get tired. And worn down. And have no one to bounce things of off. The child? Also, clearly better off with greater support. Clearly. Not my opinion.

And I was actually challenging a bit that the only healthy family for a child is a two parent family.

Take yourself important glasses off and patricapate in a conversation with others for a change. Sorry I even posted in this thread.

Done with you.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm

elfish_lad wrote:Wow. You totally misrepresented my intent.

It wasn’t a selective private school. It was a government funded international school that worked primarily with immigrant familys with an expanded mandate to work with... wait for it... wait for it... troubled and broken families. And if you think for one single minute educators should pretend a child’s family doesn’t have an impact on their education and that an educator should ignore that? Then you would never teach on my staff.

Two (or a number greater than 1) is clearly, proven as the ideal. For the parent as well as child. Single parents, with zero help, are amazing. And get tired. And worn down. And have no one to bounce things of off. The child? Also, clearly better off with greater support. Clearly. Not my opinion.

And I was actually challenging a bit that the only healthy family for a child is a two parent family.

Take yourself important glasses off and patricapate in a conversation with others for a change. Sorry I even posted in this thread.

Done with you.

E.

Oh my, quite the outburst. Here's my advice- do well by the students you have and don't judge them by a number of parents in future. Once you go down that road you're on a weird path where you rely on unpredictable outside support rather than the needs of the student.

The thing about ideals is that sometimes they can be self-proving, like self-fulfilling prophecies. Entering a classroom and expecting the kids with two parents to "better" than the kids with none is poor teaching.

Your self-important, poorly spelled, reply doesn't exactly make me want to take a job with you. I appreciate that it was preemptively denied though.

Try reading what I write before you get all pompous next time.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,