Conquer Club

Kavanaugh Hearings

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:42 pm

There has been a nomination for a new Supreme Court justice to take the place of Justice Kennedy. His name is Brett Kavanaugh.

My favorite part of the hearing so far:

Edit - by popular demand, this is effectively a civics speech and I couldn't agree with it more.
Last edited by thegreekdog on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Re: Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Is this a test?

I lasted 20 seconds before my skin started crawling.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 pm

I got through a fair bit of it, but it was a speech that you posted, and you should have told people that.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 am

Symmetry wrote:I got through a fair bit of it, but it was a speech that you posted, and you should have told people that.

Edited.

Postby Neoteny on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:16 am

It's cute that the Democrats have found a little spine. Shame that they couldn't find it during Gorsuch's confirmation.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:43 am

Neoteny wrote:It's cute that the Democrats have found a little spine. Shame that they couldn't find it during Gorsuch's confirmation.

I thought the outbursts were kind of silly, not to mention wholly disingenuous. Silly because they talked over the chairman like pouting children. Disingenuous because the lot of them have said before the hearings that they weren't going to vote to confirm so this "oh, so many pages to read" objection doesn't hold water. Basically it's political grandstanding and "I want to be president" positioning.

Postby Neoteny on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 am

So... Politics?

It's all performative bullshit. Democrats just haven't been doing it for years
Major Neoteny

Postby spurgistan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Neoteny wrote:So... Politics?

It's all performative bullshit. Democrats just haven't been doing it for years

Merrick Garland will have his revenge, in this life or in the next.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby warmonger1981 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Neoteny wrote:It's cute that the Democrats have found a little spine. Shame that they couldn't find it during Gorsuch's confirmation.

I thought the outbursts were kind of silly, not to mention wholly disingenuous. Silly because they talked over the chairman like pouting children. Disingenuous because the lot of them have said before the hearings that they weren't going to vote to confirm so this "oh, so many pages to read" objection doesn't hold water. Basically it's political grandstanding and "I want to be president" positioning.

thank God politicians like to read.
=

From what I understand I don't think past presidents have released all the information on supreme court judge nominees due to national security risks. So basically democrats wouldn't even have privy to these documents if they wanted.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 am

I believe the primary (public) concern being espoused by the Democrats is that Kavanaugh makes it likely that Roe v. Wade is overturned. Kavanaugh has made it clear he's not going to rule to overturn and at least conservatives believe him. This leads me to believe that the real concern is political grandstanding. Which is fine because I'm fairly certain the Democrats can't do anything to stop it from happening.

Postby Neoteny on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 am

Lol release the documents fest right now.
Major Neoteny

Postby armati on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am

"I'm Knowingly Violating The Rules": Booker Releases Confidential Kavanaugh Docs

Update: Booker has released 12 pages of previously confidential emails related to Kavanaugh, including one email thread titled "racial profiling":

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09- ... naugh-docs

You guys seem to be following this, if the link doesnt work, you'll have to google zerohedge.
Sergeant armati

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I love Booker and I love seeing what he's doing now. It's awesome. For all you erstwhile liberals out there, did you know he's in favor of privatization of education including charter schools? Did you know that he's taken money from capitalists for use in public schools? Did you know that he's defended the 2nd amendment on numerous occasions? Did you know he's a big enterprise zone proponent (providing tax incentives to businesses)? Right now, he's acting like one of the crazy nutjobs in the Senate, but please keep this in mind during the primary - he's probably slightly to the right of HIllary Clinton. I seriously cannot wait for the Democrat primary.

Postby spurgistan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:48 pm

I was unaware this thread was about Corey Booker and the various candidates 2020 Democratic primary. Thanks for fixing that, TGD.

And yes, I (speaking for the lefty/libs) don't like Booker on education. I like him on other things. I'm hoping for Gillibrand, though. Natural politician.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Neoteny on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Oh yeah, Booker's terrible, though I'm starting to come around on the second amendment again.
Major Neoteny

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:50 pm

HAs anyone asked this judge if he would recuse himself if a case regarding the president made its way to the bench? I mean the dems can't stop the appt but it seems like they should be laying the groundwork to try and make him recuse himself in a case regarding the guy who appointed him.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Neoteny on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Someone asked him and he did not say he would recuse himself. I forget the wording. Something about it being inappropriate to make a commitment to particular cases.
Major Neoteny

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Neoteny wrote:Someone asked him and he did not say he would recuse himself. I forget the wording. Something about it being inappropriate to make a commitment to particular cases.

That's the standard answer since Ginsburg.

spurgistan wrote:I was unaware this thread was about Corey Booker and the various candidates 2020 Democratic primary. Thanks for fixing that, TGD.

And yes, I (speaking for the lefty/libs) don't like Booker on education. I like him on other things. I'm hoping for Gillibrand, though. Natural politician.

Sorry... just seems like the Dems causing the most ruckus are the potential presidential candidates. I actually like Booker; I thought he did a good job as mayor of Newark. I don't like his grandstanding (but, then, I don't like grandstanding generally). I don't know enough about Harris or Gillibrand.

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:37 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Someone asked him and he did not say he would recuse himself. I forget the wording. Something about it being inappropriate to make a commitment to particular cases.

That's the standard answer since Ginsburg.

Yeah every since Bork was way too honest these hearings are meaningless
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby karel on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pm

dems look like a bunch of 3rd graders,how sad,they just make themselves look really fooking stupid
Corporal karel

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I believe the primary (public) concern being espoused by the Democrats is that Kavanaugh makes it likely that Roe v. Wade is overturned. Kavanaugh has made it clear he's not going to rule to overturn and at least conservatives believe him. This leads me to believe that the real concern is political grandstanding. Which is fine because I'm fairly certain the Democrats can't do anything to stop it from happening.

I think there's more to it than that. Roe v Wade is a concern, sure enough, but it seems to me it's not enough to motivate what's happening.

I think there's a note of what might almost be called desperation in the Democrats resistance here, and I think what's motivating that is Kavanaugh's previous statements on executive privilege and security latitude to be given the president. Nobody yet knows how things are going to bounce as the Mueller investigation and other attempts to squeeze Trump legally continue to roll along. There may be matters that go to the Supreme Court, and a judge who believes in a broad interpretation of executive privilege could be the end of those efforts. Plus, there's potentially close races coming up. Six months ago people might have been worried about Roe v Wade. Today I think they're thinking about the replay of Bush v Gore.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I think the big concerns are Roe vs Wade, but also that Trump has a chance to appoint one of the judges at his own trial if the Mueller investigation takes a matter to the SC.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby karel on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm

roe vs wade she be tossed out,fook plan-parenthood,they can do their baby killing in some back ally instead of us tax payers paying for this cuz they cant keep damn legs closed
Corporal karel

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Symmetry wrote:I think the big concerns are Roe vs Wade, but also that Trump has a chance to appoint one of the judges at his own trial if the Mueller investigation takes a matter to the SC.

I think that's too short-sighted a concern (and one based entirely about political posturing); the Democrats should focus on abortion, unions, campaign funding, and other social-type issues. Trump will be president for two more years. Who cares what happens to him after?

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:45 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I think the big concerns are Roe vs Wade, but also that Trump has a chance to appoint one of the judges at his own trial if the Mueller investigation takes a matter to the SC.

I think that's too short-sighted a concern (and one based entirely about political posturing); the Democrats should focus on abortion, unions, campaign funding, and other social-type issues. Trump will be president for two more years. Who cares what happens to him after?

In two years he could lay scorched earth to the GATT world that took 70 years to build. Having him gone this week would be nice.

Besides, you're ignoring the fact that the midterm elections could come down to some really close races with disputed vote totals and Bush v Gore results.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,