Conquer Club

Facebook Has Crossed The Line

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Facebook Has Crossed The Line

Postby tzor on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:Actually, Facebook are doing the right thing. They aren't going after political posts as such, they're going after political post that are lies. I have seen some blatant misinformation going around on Facebook that people just don't bother to fact check.

Out of curiosity, did you actually FACT check that statement? :twisted:

And who fact checks the fact checkers? How many political operatives have created a "Fact check" department if for no other reason than to simply promote the presumed to be true dogmas of their own personal unsupported biases? Most fact checking sources seem to be just a not so funny equivalent of the dead parrot skit; misdirecting the actual fact that is supposed to be checked.
Sergeant tzor
Community Team
Community Team

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1) Tribe Achievement (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:51 pm

tzor wrote:
Gold will never be worthless as it does have a lot of interesting "worth" in advanced technologies.

I believe people will just throw their silver into the streets.
Corporal 1st Class 2dimes

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4) General Achievement (1)

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 pm

tzor wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:Actually, Facebook are doing the right thing. They aren't going after political posts as such, they're going after political post that are lies. I have seen some blatant misinformation going around on Facebook that people just don't bother to fact check.

Out of curiosity, did you actually FACT check that statement? :twisted:

And who fact checks the fact checkers? How many political operatives have created a "Fact check" department if for no other reason than to simply promote the presumed to be true dogmas of their own personal unsupported biases? Most fact checking sources seem to be just a not so funny equivalent of the dead parrot skit; misdirecting the actual fact that is supposed to be checked.

:P Well, I don't expect FB to ever remove all of the BS. It's just not going to happen. If a large percentage of it goes away, I'll be happy.

Everytime I see a post about someone famous dying on Facebook, I fact check it before commenting on it. Many of them are hoaxes and the person is still alive and kicking. People post these things in poor taste.

They do the exact same thing to politics... make something up or exaggerate figures that will make the opposing side angry or get one over on the other side. Sit back, watch the fireworks and laugh. Troll successful. Only problem is that this does affect voting decisions because people are often stupid enough to believe that stuff.

If it's a political issue that I am interested in, I go researching to find out if it's true. It's not too hard to find a reliable source and often times, the FB posts are lies. Facebook is so full of bullshit. I have unfollowed friends who constantly share biased and untrue BS. You don't have to unfriend them, just hit the unfollow so it doesn't fill your homepage feed. They don't know when you unfollow them, so it causes no problems. I am interested only in actual facts, not stuff made up to be controversial and force opinions toward one side or the other. It's disgusting.

The world we live in right now is full of special little snowflakes (on the left AND on the right) who all influence each other into a big circle jerk of nonsense via social media.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10)
Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) Tribe Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
mrswdk wrote:[ If you're going to ban news sources from Facebook for distorting people's perceptions of reality, you ought to be banning pretty much every news outlet in existence.

On Facebook, they're not news sources. They're made up blogs and pages by people who want to spread misinformation. Some of the news sources like CNN and FOX are famous for inaccuracies, but the fake news on FB, really is fake news. They're not coming from any well known or even semi-reputable sources.

All I'm saying is, your complaint was that people are being given misinformation. Why draw the line at independent blogs? There are plenty of 'well known' and 'semi-reputable' sources that do just the same:

The Sun has been ordered to admit a controversial story that said one in five British Muslims had sympathy for Isis was "significantly misleading".

FOX, Channel 4 and others reprint lie that Kim Jong-Un fed his uncle to dogs:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/north-kor ... eport-says
https://www.channel4.com/news/kim-jong- ... tion-china

All sorts in the Daily Mail.

It's pretty easy to find examples of established news organisations spreading falsehoods. And as I said in my last post, politicians of all stripes regularly do so too. If your problem with those blogs is that they spread information, why are MSM and political parties okay?
Sergeant 1st Class mrswdk

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby tzor on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 pm

2dimes wrote:I believe people will just throw their silver into the streets.

Not as long as there are werewolves out there. :twisted:

Mind you if the fairy folk of Ireland were to make a comeback, cold wrought iron would probably at this stage of the game be more rarer and more expensive than the rare metals.
Sergeant tzor
Community Team
Community Team

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1) Tribe Achievement (1) General Contribution (7)

Previous

Return to A Place for People to Practice How to Love