Conquer Club

Why all Indians say "bro" SOLVED

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Why all Indians say "bro" SOLVED

Postby Ltrain on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:43 pm

I have actually googled this a bunch over the last 3 or 4 years and I finally found an answer that make sense. I am big into Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, and we have a lot of malay, indos in our clan but it seems like the Indians, like people actually from India I'm sure they are young, that come and go you can always identify by their immediate and over use of the word bro.

And since I'm a white dude from south east USA, I always hear it as "sup bro, donate me a drag bro, u gotz that drag, bro? s'all good it u don't bro. BTW yr mom is hot, bro.

When really, if this guy is right, it comes from this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/c ... ryone_bro/
Major Ltrain

Re: Why all Indians say "bro" SOLVED

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am

I picked it up from Russel Peters' bit about Dance Dance revolution. He was talking about the music sounding like the stuff his Persian buddy plays in his car. "This is the top hit bro!"

I typically use it on my daughter and wife most often since they are Chickas and I find that funnier.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 pm

5,6,7,8 - I'm your girlfriend, not your mate
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am

in every language people call the people they want to be friendly with "brother"... "bro", "brah".... you name it. Then each subculture (country, region, ethnicity, town, borough, family....) has its own idioms. I really don't understand your question in the first place.
Major betiko

Postby Ltrain on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 pm

betiko wrote:in every language people call the people they want to be friendly with "brother"... "bro", "brah".... you name it. Then each subculture (country, region, ethnicity, town, borough, family....) has its own idioms. I really don't understand your question in the first place.

Really, bro? You obviously don't play clash of clans, bro. Or any other online game where you get a pretty even mix of people around the world, bro. And you start to notice that one particular group, over years of play, uses this word literally as much as I am using it now, bro. So, bro, you start to wonder why, and you google it for years and you finally find a pretty cool answer. And then someone goes and poo poos it. How would you feel, bro? My feeling hurt, bro!

Kidding aside (well not really kidding, bro) Bhai is a common word for friend, which is pronounced like "bye." Many Indians are bilingual, and many languages use hello and goodbye greetings interchangable. So the over use of "Bro" actually comes from it having triple meaning. A general greeting, friend, and brother. Which explains its overuse and ends years of speculation.

Sorry for those of you who don't find this INCREDIBLY INTERESTING.
Major Ltrain

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 am

No need to apologise. I'll admit, I was mystified by this topic also. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever met an Indian saying "bro", but like you said, maybe this is because I don't play Clash of Titans or whatever. Still, there's no reason to apologise. This forum has plenty of room for debate about bizarre things, so by all means, bro, bring it on!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Why some Indians say "bro" a lot, SOLVED

Postby 2dimes on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:57 am

Bro, I'm surprised you have not met more that say bro a lot. Could be a generational thing too.

Interesting how in my region, East is alway a pre-fix, to differentiate them from First Nations people who were called Indians for the last few centuries.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Never heard an Indian say bro either....although heard a TON of hawaiians say "Brah" :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Are we talking all indians including feathers? or is this just a dot phenomenon. I will say, in my "app" based games "east indians" do seem to say bro alot, but so do central americans. not sure why. My 'feather' friends don't tend to bother with games.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Ltrain on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Yea to be fair I have had a lot of Indian piano students over the years and I have not hear a single one of them or any extended family say bro ever.

I can't say I know any Native Americans now. Certainly some when I was in school. I figure that it is so offensive to call them Indians, that I don't even think to make the distinction. I will say I had a couple (Indian) students parents refer to themselves as Asians. We were discussing the school system and that is how they get identified in stats here in NC. But it was funny. I was like.... oh... yea.... ya'll asians...

Here is a study where they asked people of different races what an Asian is. Apparently Asians don't know either

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/no ... 485cae4d18
Major Ltrain

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:17 am

In the UK when one says "Asian", it usually means someone from the Indian subcontinent (Indians. pakistanis. etc.). I was confused to find that it means people from further east in the US.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Ltrain on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:In the UK when one says "Asian", it usually means someone from the Indian subcontinent (Indians. pakistanis. etc.). I was confused to find that it means people from further east in the US.

Oh wow, that's interesting! So what do you call Japanese, Chinese, Korean? If you showed me a picture of a group of Japanese, Chinese, or Koreans, I could tell you which they were (probably), but if one American of Asian descent who I didn't know asked me where he was front, I would have no idea.

You would think with the Native American, Indian terminology confusion that we would be the ones to call Indians Asians, and call the rest Orientals. I never hear the term Oriental used at all, and google seems to be confused into thinking it is a racist term now. I think it's just outdated, so you are mostly likely to hear only old people from the USA use it, and if you assume all old people from the US are at least a weeeeee bit racist, you probably think "Oriental" is racist by association!
Major Ltrain

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:03 pm

I would say "oriental". It means "from the East".Of course, here in CA, the "Far East" is to my west, so that doesn't make a lot of sense at all...
I have heard that the term, in the US , can be considered demeaning, but I'm not sure why.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 pm

We are west and China is east because the international date line divides the hemispheres. Plus California did not exist yet when they came up with that.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby betiko on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 am

jonesthecurl wrote:In the UK when one says "Asian", it usually means someone from the Indian subcontinent (Indians. pakistanis. etc.). I was confused to find that it means people from further east in the US.

Yes and it all gets quite confusing.
Here in spain people call indians "Hindous" which cringes me a lot... that would be like calling indonesians "Muslims".
And yes, it's fucking dumb to call only idian subcontinent asians... like far eastern asians are not asians or something...
It's also dumb to confuse native americans / american indians with real indians even for an american. the amount of indians living in the US compared to native americans is probably 10 times bigger.... and it's over a billion people soon to be the largest population on earth.... and they are the actual indians.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I would say "oriental". It means "from the East".Of course, here in CA, the "Far East" is to my west, so that doesn't make a lot of sense at all...
I have heard that the term, in the US , can be considered demeaning, but I'm not sure why.

so this guy doesn't believe in flat earth theories
Major betiko

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm

betiko wrote:

It's also dumb to confuse native americans / american indians with real indians even for an american. the amount of indians living in the US compared to native americans is probably 10 times bigger.... and it's over a billion people soon to be the largest population on earth.... and they are the actual indians.

Actually there are about twice as many 'native Americans' living in the US as there are 'people from India'. 5.2 million vs about 3 million. There is only about 350,000 Pakistani descent folks in the USA. Speaking from personal experience I interact with way more native americans that i do folks from India.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Ltrain on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:43 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
betiko wrote:

Actually there are about twice as many 'native Americans' living in the US as there are 'people from India'. 5.2 million vs about 3 million. There is only about 350,000 Pakistani descent folks in the USA. Speaking from personal experience I interact with way more native americans that i do folks from India.

I was surprised to see that your numbers are right. I guess growing up with a lot of Japanese, Chinese kids my age and then seeing the Indians move in I just assumed it was higher. I do live in a tech area (RTP) and most of the Indians here are in tech and a smaller percentage in medicine but still a large percentage of overall in the area.

It's funny cause the area I teach all my Indian kids in the neighborhoods are all Indian. I mean for miles around, no joke. Yet if you were driving through, you'd see all the same shit. Same grocery stores, same restaurants
Major Ltrain

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:58 am

Ltrain wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
betiko wrote:

I was surprised to see that your numbers are right. I guess growing up with a lot of Japanese, Chinese kids my age and then seeing the Indians move in I just assumed it was higher. I do live in a tech area (RTP) and most of the Indians here are in tech and a smaller percentage in medicine but still a large percentage of overall in the area.

It's funny cause the area I teach all my Indian kids in the neighborhoods are all Indian. I mean for miles around, no joke. Yet if you were driving through, you'd see all the same shit. Same grocery stores, same restaurants

Yes I think maybe part of it is that very few 'natives' live in or very near big cities, where as you will rarely find and 'Indian' outside of major metro areas? That is admittedly a very broad generalization but i think it rings true. Near big cities and tech centers you see lots of 'Indians', and you see 'Native' populations spread all across the country with much less localization and much more likely to live far far away from big cities.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,