Conquer Club

Music Thread- Second best Rolling Stones song

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Music Thread- Second best Rolling Stones song

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 am

Obviously Gimme Shelter is the best, all I'm asking is for your favourite other than that.

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Music Thread- Second best Rolling Stones song

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 am

Street-fighting Man.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 am

Dukasaur wrote:Street-fighting Man.

Good call.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Quirk on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am

Image Image

"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
Major Quirk

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

American Pie by Don McLean.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby riskllama on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

hmm...i would think most would argue that paint it black is their best song. i sure would. anyways...

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 pm

riskllama wrote:hmm...i would think most would argue that paint it black is their best song. i sure would. anyways...

oh yes.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Scots vote for Hey McCloud, Get Offa My Ewe
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
riskllama wrote:hmm...i would think most would argue that paint it black is their best song. i sure would. anyways...

oh yes.

Best song after Gimme Shelter, perhaps. It'd certainly be my choice for second place.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 am

No, number 2 would be, well, here's a clue: Pleased to meet you...
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 am

jonesthecurl wrote:No, number 2 would be, well, here's a clue: Pleased to meet you...

I know it well, and it is great, but it's a flawed and weird song. It's one of the reasons I love it.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby KoolBak on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 am

Well, this is all very subjective. The Rolling Stone actually did a panel on this and officially, no. 2 is Sataisfaction. Gimme Shelter is no. 1. Devil is 3 and Black is 6. Brown Sugar, one of my faves from the shit when I was a kid, is 7.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 965-98705/

AND:

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 am

KoolBak wrote:Well, this is all very subjective. The Rolling Stone actually did a panel on this and officially, no. 2 is Sataisfaction. Gimme Shelter is no. 1. Devil is 3 and Black is 6. Brown Sugar, one of my faves from the shit when I was a kid, is 7.

That's kinda interesting, apart from Gimme Shelter being the obvious first choice.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:03 pm

KoolBak wrote:Well, this is all very subjective. The Rolling Stone actually did a panel on this and officially, no. 2 is Sataisfaction. Gimme Shelter is no. 1. Devil is 3 and Black is 6. Brown Sugar, one of my faves from the shit when I was a kid, is 7.

They are a good band, but the list didn't need to be 100 songs. I think a top 10 or 15 would suffice. I'm a wild horses kind of guy, with sympathy as a second choice. Shelter is great too though.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 am

mookiemcgee wrote:

They are a good band, but the list didn't need to be 100 songs. I think a top 10 or 15 would suffice. I'm a wild horses kind of guy, with sympathy as a second choice. Shelter is great too though.

Hmm, maybe, but that's a very millennial kind of take on a band that spans decades and many many albums. Songs can mean different things within the space of an album. Some lesser pieces can be important, and some great singles can seem out of place.

Fitter Happier on Ok Computer, by Radiohead is terrible on its own, for example, while Electioneering seems out of place.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ltrain on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:36 pm

There is almost nothing going on musically in Gimmie Shelter. It's 70% one chord, and a quick 2 note walk down and walk up. There is a harmonica solo maybe 4 or 5 notes? guitar solo maybe 7 notes? Vocal melody goes nowhere. Sits around the same area as the harmonica and guitar solos.

And it fucking rules.

I love the Stones. In the Beatles VS Stones argument, I do take the Beatles side, but I would rather listen to the Stones on any given day. I mean, one of my favorite albums ever is Pet Sounds, Beach Boys, but I'm gonna put in a Keith Richards solo album in my cd player on a long drive before trying to make myself super depressed. Well ok, maybe that's a stretch. Richards solo albums were pretty bad.

So the question ya'll got it right on the money. It's between paint it black and gimmie shelter. They have so many amazing songs that take different styles- One of my favorites is She's a rainbow, recorded pretty soon after Pet Sounds and has moments of sounding like that record.

Paint it black and Gimmie Shelter represent the dark side of their very simple style the best. I'm not a lyrics guy really, but the lyrics do help. I still think I would vote for these two even if they were sung in French.

I heard paint it black the first time while drunk for the 3rd or 4th time ever at a senior prom after party and me and a buddy of mine found a little boom box, took it outside, and listened to that song 6 or 7 times in a row.
Major Ltrain

Postby KoolBak on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:02 am

We're not doing a beetles stones debate right? You're referencing the age old unanswerable question? Agree beetles probly win for creativity and talent; I just hate them :lol:

Funny that there's a few Kinks songs that I like better than any stones songs. Lola...Destroyer...they rocked.

AND:

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Ltrain wrote:There is almost nothing going on musically in Gimmie Shelter. It's 70% one chord, and a quick 2 note walk down and walk up. There is a harmonica solo maybe 4 or 5 notes? guitar solo maybe 7 notes? Vocal melody goes nowhere. Sits around the same area as the harmonica and guitar solos.

And it fucking rules.

I love the Stones. In the Beatles VS Stones argument, I do take the Beatles side, but I would rather listen to the Stones on any given day. I mean, one of my favorite albums ever is Pet Sounds, Beach Boys, but I'm gonna put in a Keith Richards solo album in my cd player on a long drive before trying to make myself super depressed. Well ok, maybe that's a stretch. Richards solo albums were pretty bad.

So the question ya'll got it right on the money. It's between paint it black and gimmie shelter. They have so many amazing songs that take different styles- One of my favorites is She's a rainbow, recorded pretty soon after Pet Sounds and has moments of sounding like that record.

Paint it black and Gimmie Shelter represent the dark side of their very simple style the best. I'm not a lyrics guy really, but the lyrics do help. I still think I would vote for these two even if they were sung in French.

I heard paint it black the first time while drunk for the 3rd or 4th time ever at a senior prom after party and me and a buddy of mine found a little boom box, took it outside, and listened to that song 6 or 7 times in a row.

Spot on. Musically the Beatles were the better band, but the Rolling Stones are just so much more fun. It's not like the Beatles were cold or anything, but there's something a bit wild about the Rolling Stones at their best that the Beatles never really hit consistently.

The image, the name, the comparison with the Beatles, the artwork, the look of Jagger strutting vs Lennon in bed with Yoko Ono...Those are all big factors too.

Hearing a crowd of people at a concert sing Hey Jude is still magic. But yes, people tend to remember the first time they heard Paint it Black, or Sympathy for the Devil, or Gimme Shelter as more personal.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ltrain on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 pm

Thx Symmetry No KoolBak we weren't but I felt it was relevant for me to mention the beatles when explaining my top rolling stones songs
Major Ltrain

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 am

Ltrain wrote:Thx Symmetry No KoolBak we weren't but I felt it was relevant for me to mention the beatles when explaining my top rolling stones songs

Right. The comparison is always there in the background, I guess, but it's always seemed a bit pointless. Why hate one of the greatest bands of all time in favour of another of the greatest bands?

Or more simply, you don't have to hate the Beatles to love your first Rolling Stones track.
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,